• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer June 2008 Issue

Amir0x said:
haha it's like they realized how awful Banjo was and made the concept as a big joke on all actual Banjo fans

"hey, you know what sucked about those games? Collecting. Let's make a bazillion new things to collect and you can make vehicles with them!" :lol

Amir0x said:
Banjo is like a hilarious joke on all people who actually enjoyed that crap franchise.

Collecting 1600 parts with a large focus on vehicles. Banjo Pilot, with the collecting FORCE of a billion Banjo platform games

so fucking awesome

Amir0x : Keeping it Fresh.

Not that I disagree :(

Grecco

Hoping the RB instruments will work with GH4 but i doubt it. I dont wanna shell 200 bucks for more plastic instruments but i probably will

harSon

Banned
Amir0x said:
Banjo is like a hilarious joke on all people who actually enjoyed that crap franchise.

Collecting 1600 parts with a large focus on vehicles. Banjo Pilot, with the collecting FORCE of a billion Banjo platform games

so fucking awesome

I think you got your point across with the last post :/

Grecco said:
Hoping the RB instruments will work with GH4 but i doubt it. I dont wanna shell 200 bucks for more plastic instruments but i probably will

Activision will probably make an exclusive microphone that only works in GH:4, and no other devices.

Struct09

Grecco said:

This is Red Octane, you can be guaranteed that your Rock Band drums will not work with GH4. Start saving now.

Amir0x

Banned
harSon said:
I think you got your point across with the last post :/

I edited that into the post way after i initially wrote it, was going to edit it out with my new post.

Crushed said:
How the hell are you still a mod.

i'm not sure what stating the completely correct viewpoint about Banjo has to do with being a mod, but it's ok.

You don't have to cry though, I won't judge you.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:
i'm not sure what stating the completely correct viewpoint about Banjo has to do with being a mod, but it's ok.

You don't have to cry though, I won't judge you.
No seriously you're not even being subtle with the trolling anymore.

stotch

Banned
Amir0x said:

so fucking awesome

16,000 unique items, as opposed to however many of one item over and over means that there could be the same amount of collecting but with more mileage out of each thing. Seems like they're refining the collecting and what players can do with the things they've collected as opposed to being a joke.

raYne

Having zero interest in Banjo even after seeing the shots, this info just pushed it up to must buy territory.

SolidSnakex said:
Loose Talk:
- The next Nintendo and MS systems would arrive in 2010. Sony's would arrive in 2012. They hear that MS will have your achievements carry over to the new system.
wat@ that timeframe.. I'll believe it when I see it. Probably 2010 reveal announcements for both with late 2011 releases.

Achievements being carried over is a big, "duh" however.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
yeah EA, this is what you get, after thinking about it ill skip on rockband and get gh4. atleast the release will be timely without shitty excuses or 360 exclusivity.

Sharp

I'm kind of confused by GHIV, for two reasons. Firstly, vocals and drums uhhhhh nice try. Secondly, I'm having trouble juxtaposing Activision's seeming to be actually putting effort into GHIV, and everything they've done so far with Guitar Hero. Especially create-a-song, how are they planning to monetize it? There's no way they'd cut off their revenue stream like that. I suppose they'll make up for that with a cumbersome unintuitive interface as usual, though. Either way, looks like I'm getting GHIV, which I suppose was the point, so yeah.

Amir0x

Banned
Crushed said:
No seriously you're not even being subtle with the trolling anymore.

before we derail this thread into ten pages, and I discuss how you clearly don't know what troll means, and how you're butthurt that someone is assaulting one of your cherished childhood franchises borne out of the years you were deprived as a youngster from superior videogame systems, do we just want to avoid all that and continue on with me being right, and you thinking you're funny?

Also about GH4, there are no more licensed guitars thanks to the Gibson falling out, and that's the reason the're going to allow you to create your own guitar. Red Octane is creating a new guitar that'll have a function on it that'll "directly impact the way you play GH in the future.". GI said while they were playing they saw see through notes that Neversoft really wouldn't comment on other than saying they're trying to patent it.

Sharp

SolidSnakex said:
Also about GH4, there are no more licensed guitars thanks to the Gibson falling out, and that's the reason the're going to allow you to create your own guitar. Red Octane is creating a new guitar that'll have a function on it that'll "directly impact the way you play GH in the future.". GI said while they were playing they saw see through notes that Neversoft really wouldn't comment on other than saying they're trying to patent it.
Open string, maybe? That would be pretty cool.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Zerodoppler said:
Ugh, shame on me for looking forward to a new Banjo game in the first place. :(

You haven't even seen the game in motion nor presented by Rare and you are ashamed already? I'm glad Rare changed up the formula. People want to live in the past and basically have the same damn game. Everyone that I've seen reply on the game said it looks fun.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:
you clearly don't know what troll means

NeoGAF sez: "making unsubstantiated comments in an attempt to provoke the forum body."

Amir0x said:
you're butthurt that someone is assaulting one of your cherished childhood franchises borne out of the years you were deprived as a youngster from superior videogame systems, do we just want to avoid all that and continue on with me being right, and you thinking you're funny?

sneaky77

i hope guitar hero 4 is compatible with guitar hero 3 guitars, if not I may consider just not buying it this time.. I am tired of plastic instruments taking so much space..

verio

SolidSnakex said:
Guitar Hero 4 (PS3, 360, Wii, PS2)
- Create a song. Although these exclude vocals due to storage and possible copyright issues.
- You'll be able to name your song as well as creating album art. After you've done all that you can upload it to GH Tunes where anyone can download it.
- You'll be limited to 5 songs at first. But depending on the ratings you get you'll possibly be able to upload 10 or more.
- The song sharing mode will be in the Wii and PS2 versions also, but GI says it's unlikely that it'll be as robust as the PS3 and 360 versions.
- Drums, bass, vocals guitar
- Create a rocker
- Create a guitar and drums
- All songs will be master tracks
- They don't want to discuss specifics on track listing out of fear of being scooped by the competition. However they confirmed 4 bands: Van Halen, The Eagles, Linkin Park and Sublime.

Wow, can't wait. I'm a huge Rock Band fanboy and it'll be great to have more options aside from RB....
and better instruments.

SolidSnakex said:
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (360)
- RARE says they didn't want to make a hi res version of the old Banjo platformer.
- You create vehicles with parts you find around the levels.
- GI says their first vehicles was a 4 wheeled kart with a spring attached to the bottom that allowed them to jump things. They later found a helicopter blade that allowed their kart to fly. Later they added balloons to the vehicle and put the blade on the back and created a hovercraft.
- RARE showed them a vehicle that was a monster truck that was able to detach its chasis to become a mini bike. When the bike ramped off a cliff it revealed collapsible glider wings and started flying.
- There will be 1,600 parts including weapons that you'll be able to attach to the vehicles.
- The town is called Showdown Town.
- GI says that despite the large focus on vehicles it still features platform elements from the previous games like traditional platforming, tight rope walking and jiggy piece collecting.
- Showdown Town is 16 times larger than anything RARE has created before.
- Every level has a different intro. Nutty Acres begins with a credits spoof of 80's soap opera's like Dallas.
- Note collecting is back and will act has currency that'll allow you to bu vehicle blueprints.
- RARE says there are 15 different challenges spread across 6 different levels. There will also be side missions.

Ugh, such a large focus on vehicles? This could turn out nasty.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sneaky77 said:
i hope guitar hero 4 is compatible with guitar hero 3 guitars, if not I may consider just not buying it this time.. I am tired of plastic instruments taking so much space..

Why wouldn't they be?

fresquito

I'm so sold on Guitar hero IV.

You see stupid HMX/MTV/EA, I was getting your game, I was getting it until you announced the Wii version would be a shitty port and the Euro Price sealed the deal for me.

Now Activision will be getting more money of mine.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
SolidSnakex said:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.gif, so i need to buy one AGAIN? :/

edit: even if the old ones works i ofcourse want those new features :/

Sharp said:
Open string, maybe? That would be pretty cool.

That would be AMAZING.

Metal songs are already harder than they need to be. Fucking metal guitarists man, they have it too easy.

hiryu said:
GH4 better work with the Rockband instruments or no sale.

It's very, very unlikely.

Amir0x

Banned
Crushed said:
NeoGAF sez: "making unsubstantiated comments in an attempt to provoke the forum body."

My comments are pretty substantiated!

1. Banjo sucks. Substantiated by the fact that Banjo sucks.
2. Collecting to the extreme. Substatiated by the fact that this new game has you collecting an obscene amount of machine parts.
3. Large focus on VEHICLES, when I'm pretty sure most people who actually liked that crap franchise wanted large focus on platforming. Sure we don't know what the split is yet, but it's pretty telling that this vehicle mechanic is the center focus of most media and details. Substantiated by this Solidsnakex post.

Kifimbo

Agent Icebeezy said:
You haven't even seen the game in motion nor presented by Rare and you are ashamed already? I'm glad Rare changed up the formula. People want to live in the past and basically have the same damn game. Everyone that I've seen reply on the game said it looks fun.

If you want a new concept, you should start a new franchise. Fans of Banjo expect a platformer, just like Mario fans want a platformer.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:

2. Collecting to the extreme. Substatiated by the fact that this new game has you collecting an obscene amount of machine parts.
3. Large focus on VEHICLES, when I'm pretty sure most people who actually liked that crap franchise wanted large focus on platforming. Sure we don't know what the split is yet, but it's pretty telling that this vehicle mechanic is the center focus of most media and details. Substantiated by this Solidsnakex post.
So, your imagination and admitted ignorance of facts are now substance.

Bulla564

Banned
2010 sounds about right for the new Xbox (making this gen way too short). I expect that to be the focus of MS E3 2009, and for it to include Blu-ray and some form of waggle.

sneaky77

TheGreatDave said:
I imagine it's more a Rock Band style scenario.

Extra features that aren't required for core gameplay.

It's not really their game.

let's hope so.. the only thing I liked about the gh 4 thing was all master tracks.. wonder if they will be able to get the number to 70 like in the past..

Mifune

Mehmber
Amir0x said:

You should have just said, "I'M A MOD. I CAN TROLL IF I WANT TO!!"

Because that would have made some sense, at least.

Ridley327

Sharp said:
I'm kind of confused by GHIV, for two reasons. Firstly, vocals and drums uhhhhh nice try. Secondly, I'm having trouble juxtaposing Activision's seeming to be actually putting effort into GHIV, and everything they've done so far with Guitar Hero. Especially create-a-song, how are they planning to monetize it? There's no way they'd cut off their revenue stream like that. I suppose they'll make up for that with a cumbersome unintuitive interface as usual, though. Either way, looks like I'm getting GHIV, which I suppose was the point, so yeah.

I hope SolidSnakex posts more about this feature, but I'd have to imagine the justification for it is that it's going to use a library of sounds that are on the game disc itself, as opposed to allowing users to just upload music files and charting them that way. The fact that they're making the sharing feature available on the Wii and PS2 leads me to strongly believe that this is the case. The lack of vocals in the custom tracks also gets them out of any legal troubles with the bands that they have on the disc. I doubt that there is anything that they can do to prevent someone from re-creating songs like YYZ or Call of Ktulu, though they may have found some sort of copyright law that gets them out of legal trouble.

In any case, Activision has found a way to get me personally interested in GH again, especially if the create-a-song mode is fairly robust. Hopefully, the new instruments will be priced sanely this time around.....

:me looks at Strat price tag on the 360 and the LP price tag on the Wii:

Goddamn it.

Amir0x

Banned
Mifune said:
You should have just said, "I'M A MOD. I CAN TROLL IF I WANT TO!!"

Because that would have made some sense, at least.

deliberately not responding to points made is trolling. Extensively creating a point by point analysis of ones position (as I did) is, by its very nature, the opposite of trolling.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Kifimbo said:
If you want a new concept, you should start a new franchise. Fans of Banjo expect a platformer, just like Mario fans want a platformer.

No, you are stuck in the past. Franchises are allowed to evolve. Most of the Banjo team is still in tact and this is the way they wanted to go. So no, I have nothing to cry about because I didn't wait 8 years with a preconceived notion of what the next Banjo would look like. It sounds like you and others did and can't let it go. In less than 24, we will know what there is to know about the game. People have spoken highly of the game when they have seen it. At this point in time, I'm going to go with them and not whiners on a messageboard.

Amir0x said:

Collecting in and of itself doesn't suck, it's the implementation of it. The problem with collecting in a lot of platformers is there's either no real reason for it or you need to do it for a stupid plot reason, collect 15 X to advance plot. Now, what it sounds like is in this new Banjo actually sounds cool. They seem to be taking the Crackdown approach, which also had collecting but people seem to universally love. The reason it works in Crackdown is each Orb had a small but tangible effect on your skills, there was an immediate gain from collecting. I can see this coming into to play with Banjo when you stumble across some cool new part, there is the immediate reward for getting the item.

Sharp

schuelma said:
Ahh...well I would hope they wouldn't do that :(
If they don't provide backwards compatibility I'm going to be fucking pissed, and so will the seven million plus people who bought GH3, and the additional millions who bought GH1, 2, and '80s. And the unfortunate souls who will be buying Aerosmith. When you've built up a fanbase like this around expensive peripherals, you don't fuck around with them. At least not if you're smart. Then again, this would be the same Activision that thought that boss battle were totally wicked so who knows.

Kifimbo said:

1. You're acting like Banjo is no longer a platformer.
2. Mario games have been introducing new concepts for quite awhile.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:
i'm sorry but again i can't help you with reading
Of course you can't, you can't teach someone to read if you don't know how to write!

Amir0x said:
Collecting to the extreme. Substatiated by the fact that this new game has you collecting an obscene amount of machine parts.
Imagination and assumption.

Amir0x said:
Sure we don't know what the split is yet
Admitted ignorance of facts.

Amir0x said:
Large focus on VEHICLES, when I'm pretty sure most people who actually liked that crap franchise wanted large focus on platforming ...
More imagination and assumption. If you actually read the preview, it details how the vehicles themselves are used for platforming. You're assuming that "vehicle = drive forward through flat area." They describe using vehicles to jump, glide, swing, and swim. It's no different from a cartoony bipedal character running and jumping and gliding.

Top Bottom