• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer June 2008 Issue

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Good to see Neversoft developing create a song before Harmonix. They'll have to do something amazing for me to buy $200 more worth of plastic instruments, though.

1-D_FTW

I thought Banjo games were always overrated garbage (only good when compared to the monstrosity of DK64), but the new Banjo sounds pretty effing awesome.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
1-D_FTW said:
I thought Banjo games were always overrated garbage (only good when compared to the monstrosity of DK64), but the new Banjo sounds pretty effing awesome.

You take that back!

Banjo 3 doesn't sound appealing to me, im fine with vehicles sections in the game but having to collect 1600 pieces to have everythign accessible is quite a joke imo. And the platforming sections, i hope to god it stays very true to original's roots, but the inclusion of this collect-a-thon vehicle thing kind of ruins it. Well let's see

No6

TheGreatDave said:
I'd probably tone the items down, and just make it so the only items are things like Amp Overload, or removing the sound from the game. Keep it somewhat logical; like the guy pulled your amp chord or something. Then have the game have you play a bunch of solos one after another, and keep the way you die the same. And make the boss not invincible without attack.
The entire idea of having a guitar game revolve around the notion that your opponent has to fail, rather than you having to actually play well, is retarded. The auto-lose sequence at the end of the songs is one of the worst design decisions I have ever seen in my 27 years of video gaming.
Well, they made the best Guitar Hero game, so I'll give them some credit
Ignoring your... let's just say flawed opinion, they also made the best Tony Hawk game and the best Spiderman game. And I'm having a hard time thinking of a single Neversoft "addition" to the game that wasn't in line with their Tony Hawk behavior: boss battles, ridiculous money requirements, the awful character designs/downgrades, the tawdry stage designs, etc. Everything they've added to TH since 4 has ultimately served as a downgrade, and I just see them repeating the trend with GH.

No6 said:
The entire idea of having a guitar game revolve around the notion that your opponent has to fail, rather than you having to actually play well, is retarded. The auto-lose sequence at the end of the songs is one of the worst design decisions I have ever seen in my 27 years of video gaming.

We can agree there. It should just be a "survive" scenario rather than beat the guy.

Ignoring your... let's just say flawed opinion, they also made the best Tony Hawk game and the best Spiderman game. And I'm having a hard time thinking of a single Neversoft "addition" to the game that wasn't in line with their Tony Hawk behavior: boss battles, ridiculous money requirements, the awful character designs/downgrades, the tawdry stage designs, etc. Everything they've added to TH since 4 has ultimately served as a downgrade, and I just see them repeating the trend with GH.

Well, if this open note thing turns out to be true (and it certainly sounds like the most logical thing) than I'd say that right there is a big, big addition that would improve the game. They seem to be adding things that don't affect core gameplay this time round (make a song, character, guitar, share online, etc) which I'm all for.

I'm kind of down on GH in general at the minute (I've hated the notecharts for the recent DLC) so I'm hardly some guy that's going to defend shit. But I have no reason to doubt them because their 5th Tony Hawk wasn't as good as their 3rd. This game is completely different in it's nature.

Nicktals

Banned
Sales - 1.

Based on every description it sounds like this is now a vehicle/physics puzzle game. I want a platformer.

Oh well, now I can spend the stimulus check on something other than a 360.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
flipping_heck said:
Banjo 3 doesn't sound appealing to me, im fine with vehicles sections in the game but having to collect 1600 pieces to have everythign accessible is quite a joke imo. And the platforming sections, i hope to god it stays very true to original's roots, but the inclusion of this collect-a-thon vehicle thing kind of ruins it. Well let's see

It is only a collect-a-thon is you are required to gather the items. If it really is like legos where you can gather what you want and potentially ignore the rest, then it could work well. We will have to wait and see how it turns out

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Nicktals said:
Sales - 1.

Based on every description it sounds like this is now a vehicle/physics puzzle game. I want a platformer.
Yeah those descriptions of platforming with a vehicle sure do sound like not platforming.

Nicktals

Banned
Crushed said:
Yeah those descriptions of platforming with a vehicle sure do sound like not platforming.

What description? And how do you define platforming? (I haven't seen this description evidently though).

Ripenen

dork said:
Give me road roash back

Finally! I thought I was the only one who read that, and then I began to worry that I was the only one left who cared enough about that series to get worked up over rumors of a revival and subsequent cancellation.

Linkzg said:
They are publishing, which I would think includes the instruments as well, so it is still their business for the most part.

and Banjo gummi ship! yay!

EA don't own the IP or anything though. I think they're distributors, not "publishers". MTV Games could, I think, just go over to Ubisoft and ask them if they wanted to distribute the game for them.

EA clearly manufacture the instruments though, which is presumably one of the things that made them an attractive partner. And the instruments so dodgy.

DGRP said:
"Guitar" Hero 4

Day 1
GuitarHeroAndFriends.jpg

squicken

ugh. the 1 v1 combat in PoP does not sound good. what was wrong with combat in SoT? why did they have to go and add shitty combos to the next 2 games? PoP doesn't need to be GoW or NG or DMC. let it be a fun platformer/puzzle game with some light combat.

TheGreatDave said:
EA don't own the IP or anything though. I think they're distributors, not "publishers". MTV Games could, I think, just go over to Ubisoft and ask them if they wanted to distribute the game for them.

EA clearly manufacture the instruments though, which is presumably one of the things that made them an attractive partner. And the instruments so dodgy.

yeah, I eant distributors and not publishers, I don't remember why I posted the other one instead.

Anyway, the main thing I cared about back on the first or second stage was that I only needed one drum set, and hopefully that drum set would have been the GH4 one. I already have 5 plastic guitars in my closet and can barely fit my rockband drumset in there, I am running out of room already. I am not even including my donkey konga or taiko stuff.

Mamesj

Banned
- The next Nintendo and MS systems would arrive in 2010. Sony's would arrive in 2012

you'd think Sony would want the jump on both MS and Nintendo. The game industry isn't theirs for the picking anymore. Of course this is probably little more than an educated guess on GI's part, but still, two years later seems like a very bad idea.

squicken said:
ugh. the 1 v1 combat in PoP does not sound good. what was wrong with combat in SoT? why did they have to go and add shitty combos to the next 2 games? PoP doesn't need to be GoW or NG or DMC. let it be a fun platformer/puzzle game with some light combat.
This. I have been wondering for a few years now why the hell i hated Warrior within so much while i loved SOT.

Mamesj said:
you'd think Sony would want the jump on both MS and Nintendo. The game industry isn't theirs for the picking anymore. Of course this is probably little more than an educated guess on GI's part, but still, two years later seems like a very bad idea.

nah, it could actually work.

Assuming the PS3 really does pick up speed, maybe they can at least manage for those two years with it alone (also assuming that maybe the next Nintendo system will be spec wise similar to the PS3), so there could be ports between those two systems. Then when the Xbox 720 is the hot shit for 2 years and everyone is loving it, the PS4 will come out that has technology 2 years more advanced than the Xbox 720. Then it will repeat the cycle with Xbox 1080 and its .5 upgrade to the PS4, and on and and on and on. Only people that lose is...everyone.

TheGreatDave said:
You make it sound like Harmonix were the first people to use plastic instruments.

but all together at once? I can't really think of another. Closest that comes to mind is Band Bros, but that dont have plastic instruments .

Nolan.

Mamesj said:

I can see ms doing it in two years but i'd be surprised if nintendo did for some reason I don't really see them being n a hurry.

Sharp

TheGreatDave said:
You make it sound like Harmonix were the first people to use plastic instruments.
So you really don't see anything derivative about GHIV adding drums and vocals?

Really?

Sharp said:
So you really don't see anything derivative about GHIV adding drums and vocals?

Really?

Oh sure, but I also think it's a logical step that somebody other than Harmonix would have headed in. To make it sound like they're stealing some groundbreaking idea is kinda doing Harmonix a big service.

Sharp

TheGreatDave said:
Oh sure, but I also think it's a logical step that somebody other than Harmonix would have headed in. To make it sound like they're stealing some groundbreaking idea is kinda doing Harmonix a big service.
They'd already done base and guitar, which made sense because they both used the same instrument. But you're kidding yourself if you think GHIV would have done this it weren't for Rock Band. Otherwise a company like Konami, which had actually made rhythm games around all kinds of different instruments, would have done it a long time ago.

Ten-Song

TheGreatDave said:

My concern is if I can use Neversoft's drums for Rock Band, because I don't like loud things that break easy.

That said, if the "custom song" thing is really what I think it is, I may buy the game just in the hope that I can finally play a few Ratatat songs (And I'll quietly cheer hearing that more Linkin Park is coming to the series).

Afrikan

Mamesj said:

yeah what *if*.... Nintendo sticks a console that won't cost alot to make and MS follows this lead (Seeing the Wii generate so much money for Nintendo has to be driving money loving MS crazy)

so they both release their systems....cater to the same audience.... then after 2 years of owning these systems, this same consumer has a chance to buy the newest system with the latest technology.....I think alot of these gamers would get the PS4 if it proved to be dramatically different than Nintendo & MS's offering......

and you also have all the PS loyalest waiting for the newest Playstation system....

all the while Sony making profit of the PS3 for a number of years, still supporting the system like the PS2.....

I think it would be better releasing the system 2 years after the next MS system, rather than one year...... or if possible, the same time......

Innotech

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (360)
- RARE says they didn't want to make a hi res version of the old Banjo platformer.
- You create vehicles with parts you find around the levels.
- GI says their first vehicles was a 4 wheeled kart with a spring attached to the bottom that allowed them to jump things. They later found a helicopter blade that allowed their kart to fly. Later they added balloons to the vehicle and put the blade on the back and created a hovercraft.
- RARE showed them a vehicle that was a monster truck that was able to detach its chasis to become a mini bike. When the bike ramped off a cliff it revealed collapsible glider wings and started flying.
- There will be 1,600 parts including weapons that you'll be able to attach to the vehicles.
- The town is called Showdown Town.
- GI says that despite the large focus on vehicles it still features platform elements from the previous games like traditional platforming, tight rope walking and jiggy piece collecting.
- Showdown Town is 16 times larger than anything RARE has created before.
- Every level has a different intro. Nutty Acres begins with a credits spoof of 80's soap opera's like Dallas.
- Note collecting is back and will act has currency that'll allow you to bu vehicle blueprints.
- RARE says there are 15 different challenges spread across 6 different levels. There will also be side missions.

Viva Pinata 2: Trouble in Paradise
- Improved interactivity between the pinata's and the environments.
- Pinata's will mimic each others action and follow the leader around the garden.
- They'll be adding toys for the pinatas to play with like musical instruments, spaced themed toys, and trains that the pinata's will ride around the garden.
- 30 new pinatas.
- 2 new sub areas called Pinarctic and Dessert that'll allow you to travel to new locations and lay traps for the pinatas.
- A photo mode will allow you to upload pictures to the website.
- A drop in and drop out co op mode.
- Improved UI.
360 purchase imminent.

Rhindle

- Create a song. Although these exclude vocals due to storage and possible copyright issues.
- You'll be able to name your song as well as creating album art. After you've done all that you can upload it to GH Tunes where anyone can download it.
I can't fathom how they expect to pull this off without people posting copyrighted content. There will be about 500 Stairway to Heavens posted Day 1.

Sharp said:
They'd already done base and guitar, which made sense because they both used the same instrument. But you're kidding yourself if you think GHIV would have done this it weren't for Rock Band. Otherwise a company like Konami, which had actually made rhythm games around all kinds of different instruments, would have done it a long time ago.

Well, Konami are a special kind of stupid, I'm not using them to base assumptions.

Obviously we don't know for sure what would have happened if Harmonix had stopped doing Guitar Hero, but not made Rock Band, and Neversoft were making a sequel without opposition. But I think somebody was bound to do the band thing eventually after Guitar Hero took off like it did.

Rhindle said:
I can't fathom how they expect to pull this off without people posting copyrighted content. There will be about 500 Stairway to Heavens posted Day 1.

People don't get sued for posting MIDIs online.

It's basically the same.

Sharp

Rhindle said:
Maybe that will encourage Led Zeppelin to step up their game and deliver the GH game everyone really wants.

No interest in GH4. Its Rockband + "create a song" except me and my friends won't create any songs, so there's no point. I'm done rebuying instruments, and there's something really "me too" about what Neversoft is doing. Its not entirely their fault, but i'll follow Harmonix, and i just respect more what they're up to.

arhra

The bolded is precisely why they've taken the combat in a different direction to the SoT games - direct quote from the developers (from the EDGE preview in the latest issue:
"Early on we were faced with a decision about what to do with combat. POP eventually moved towards a pretty cool system, then God Of War came along and, basically, just kicked our ass. We could go head to head with God Of War or Ninja Gaiden, or strike out on our own path."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gketter said:
No interest in GH4. Its Rockband + "create a song" except me and my friends won't create any songs, so there's no point. I'm done rebuying instruments, and there's something really "me too" about what Neversoft is doing. Its not entirely their fault, but i'll follow Harmonix, and i just respect more what they're up to.

Between the Wii Zapper, the Wii Wheel, Rock Band instruments, Guitar Hero guitars, old PS2 guitars, Donkey Konga bongos, and Taiko Drum Master drums, I'm pretty much done with new peripherals that don't deliver a new experience.

The only way I would buy this is if it was compatible with all of the Rock Band instruments. Even then, it would take a massive improvement in the overall "tone" of the game, a killer song selection, and this create a song feature implemented perfectly for me to want to bite.

DuckRacer

Um, the Eagles in GH4 sounds neat. Guaranteed rental if Hotel California is one of the songs.

I'm not buying anything though unless it works with my RB instruments (which it likely won't).

The_Dude

I'm not writing the game off or anything, but when they have to assure us that there will be platform 'elements' in a Banjo-Kazooie game, I can't help but feel a little worried.

Top Bottom