• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Game Informer cover tomorrow, next gen game reveal [Up3: Definitely Thief]

The entire game is based on QTE's. Each objective is just another QTE point. You don't even play in the game world, you get a map to plot your points, then boom, into a QTE.

The games not even called Theif. It's just "QTE'

Kouichi

I'll say it again. I'm a Theif not a knight in armor. The character should be agile and fast.
I should be able to leap onto the back of a guard and stab him in the throat but his dying screams attract other guards so I jump to a window sill and climb inside where I slide under a bed...

I want to swing on a chandelier Errol Flynn style...

"You're a thief, not a murderer. Being the professional that you are, you can pull off this job without killing anyone."

DocSeuss

I'll say it again. I'm a Theif not a knight in armor. The character should be agile and fast.
I should be able to leap onto the back of a guard and stab him in the throat but his dying screams attract other guards so I jump to a window sill and climb inside where I slide under a bed...

You are a rogue, not a barbarian.

rrs

"Dad? Dad, I'm a- Ye- Not a "crazed murderer", dad, I'm an thief! ...Well, the difference bein' one is a job and the other's mental sickness!"

AHA-Lambda

Yeah still predicting Thief 4 regardless of what McNamara says; Deus Ex Human Revolution was originally titled Deus Ex 3 after all.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm sure someone said that about Elder Scrolls before Oblivion.

Not sure what you're getting at here..?

I was getting at the fact that the Cyberpunk and Deus Ex are not even the same genre, and therefore won't compete anymore than an RTS competes with an FPS even if the themes are vaguely similar.

Also. Oblivion was a great game. The worst of the modern Elder Scrolls yes, but still an amazing open world title in general, especially considering it was a launch window "next gen" title. It just doesn't fare as well looking back at it, but at the time it was pretty mind blowing. Also there is still no open world fantasy game that competes with TES. Gothic, Two Worlds, etc tried and failed.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I was at work so I couldnt log in, but was going to totally guess Thief. Pretty sure there was a leaked screen floating around. Looked a lot like a FPS assassins creed.

Jawmuncher

Is it even confirmed to be Thi4f ?

If I'd call it I'd say were getting a game just called Thief. With a similar reboot in the vein of either tomb raider or Deus ex. Since square is all about starting ragged eidos franchises fresh for new players while keeping familiar players happy.

Kouichi

I'm expecting a direct sequel to Thief 3 because the leaked 30-sec trailer seems to show Garrett with the scar near his right eye.

Derrick01

Banned
Million bucks says Derrick shits all over it.

That's like betting that the Bobcats will lose 50 games a year, come on.

The next thief is practically guaranteed to be a hybrid stealth game which means I will shit on it. That's not a very tough bet at all.

What if it's (gasp) a new IP!

The start of a new cycle is full of new IP and they usually debut via a magazine cover or web reveal.

Clevinger

Thi4f? Thi4f? really son? it's 2013 and people are still spelling sequels with numbers in the name?

Probably not. Eidos called it Thi4f years ago when it was first announced and there was an initial backlash over the name, and ever since then (like on dev linkedin profiles) I've only seen it called Thief or Thief 4. They probably realized "Thi4f" was a bad idea.

We'll see tomorrow, I guess.

fastmower

The next thief is practically guaranteed to be a hybrid stealth game which means I will shit on it. That's not a very tough bet at all.

What is your overall opinion of Thief I and II?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
What is your overall opinion of Thief I and II?

Doubt he played them at launch. TII released in 2000..

Hard to have a unbiased first opinion on very old titles in the video game industry. Things automatically look better or worse when you compare them to recent titles, when at the time of release it was often a different story. One of the inherent drawbacks of a fast evolving medium still in its infancy.

sp3000

Hard to have a unbiased first opinion on very old titles in the video game industry. Things automatically look better or worse when you compare them to recent titles, when at the time of release it was often a different story. One of the inherent drawbacks of a fast evolving medium still in its infancy.

I think Thief 3 is a better game than Thief 2 even though I played them before I played Thief 3.

People like to complain on it's level design, but they forget the utterly atrocious corridors of Thief 2 that had none of the atmosphere of the previous game.

didn't you like human revolution? I think this will be a great game!

The first two Thief games are still phenomenal in many ways, though. In terms of atmosphere, use of sound, the sprawling level design... Deadly Shadows is unfairly shat on, but it's still a fantastic game, despite massively reduced level sizes.

Edit: I'm saying this as someone who often struggles to go back to older PC titles, T1 and 2 really hold up well. Especially once you've gone through the hassle of installing the widescreen mod.

DocSeuss

I didn't play them at launch. While I'm finding progress to be slow, Thief (haven't gotten to Thief 2 yet) on my first playthrough is one of the best video games I've ever played.

I picked up System Shock 2 in the spring of 2008--y'know, right after The Orange Box, Bioshock, Crysis, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, The Witcher, STALKER... and it was easily the second best of them (because STALKER was the best).

Top Bottom