• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Game Informer cover tomorrow, next gen game reveal [Up3: Definitely Thief]

TTG

Interesting. I've never played a Thief game, but I'd be down for a hardcore, non-dumbed down stealth game.

Same. Most of my experience in the stealth genre originates from early Splinter Cell and Hitman games. I hope they bring something fundamentally new to the table though in terms of mechanics.

Having recently played Dishonored, I don't know how much more sitting in a corner, wringing my hands or crouch walking for stretches behind guards I can do. Despite what all those cool kill videos would lead you to believe, that was still the majority of my time with that game and it felt... stale. A lot of that was the AI as well, now that I think about it. Nothing like a whole courtyard going on alert because a guard caught a glimpse of me out of his peripheral vision 0.2 seconds before I stabbed him in the neck.

Hindle

Banned
Eidios were respectful enough when handling Deus Ex HR, so I'm fairly confident they will be when handling Thief.

Edit. As long as the stealth and stealing isn't an optional sidequests with the core gameplay being a cover TPS, then all should be fine.

/Glares at TR

They should pull a MGS 2 with this one. Have all the previews show you playing as Garret...
THEN BAM! When you play the game, the protagonist is actually the girl that pickpockets from Garret at the end of Deadly Shadows. Her master Garret has gone missing and she must find out where!

They should take a page out of Mirror's Edge and have some agile running, jumping and climbing

L1NETT

If KZ Shadow Fall and Infamous Second Son are anything to go by, ruling out 4 does not rule it out from being a sequel.

Battlefield Generic War Thing (can't think of any military terms)

However, more Thief would be mouth watering.

WAIT

Fallout???

The_Monk

If it really is Thief 4 I want them to take their time doing this game. No rushing, keeping the basics from the series and so on.

I had great fun playing this back in the day and I hope I can have a good feeling when returning to the series after so much time.

injurai

Banned
so it's doesn't have a 4 in it, and every game informer cover hype has been a dud for quite some time now, i'm not optimistic with this front

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cool. Hoping some of those Human Revolution good vibes have hit the project.

JDSN

Banned
Tomorrow Derrick01 meltdowns. It will be a sandbox game that focus on rookie Thief(Tm) Jhon McThief that works for the Thieves Guild. "McThief! You are a loose cannon, but you are a damn good cat burglar"

In all seriousness, they managed to make Deus Ex just right, which I doubt even Spector can pull off these days.

Volotaire

Finally they've been working on this for quite a few years. Hopefully we can get a true stealth game out of this, with Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed aiming for a new direction.

DocSeuss

Still surprised they never took the opportunity to call the sequel to Thief Thieves.

I mean, seriously.

Thieves.

You know you want it.

Hahaha. People expecting some grand return of the series? This doesn't have a chance. Consider yourselves lucky if there's even a crouch button and you can hide in shadow.

Hahaha. People expecting some grand return of the series? This doesn't have a chance. Consider yourselves lucky if there's even a crouch button and you can hide in shadow.

If they approach this the same way they approached Deus Ex:HR, I'll be a happy bunny. Derrick will probably be pissed anyway because the run-speed doesn't feel right or something.

Amir0x

Banned

I don't expect anything after the Tomb Raider and Hitman debacle... but I hope. Oh, how i hope.

Modern gaming design ruins everything that has ever been good about games :(

-SD-

Banned
If it's not Thief 4, but yet another GI disappointment...

groundhog_smash2txjd3.gif

methodman

Banned
I don't expect anything after the Tomb Raider and Hitman debacle... but I hope. Oh, how i hope.

Modern gaming design ruins everything that has ever been good about games :(

I'm predicting a lot of shooting, more shooting, and then a QTE that shows your character actually doing sneaky shit to finish the mission while you sit and watch.

P.S. Fuck QTE.

Hopefully they don't Assassin's Creed it all up and it actually stays true to it's predecessors.

Hell even Deadly Shadows, Deadly Shadows had Shalebridge Cradle and that was great. All they need to do is make another at least as good as Deadly Shadows?

See? Low expectations! They can't fail.

Derrick01

Banned
If they approach this the same way they approached Deus Ex:HR, I'll be a happy bunny. Derrick will probably be pissed anyway because the run-speed doesn't feel right or something.

Expecting something like Deus Ex HR is probably the best case scenario for this game, but yeah that's still nowhere near as good as a proper sequel/prequel/reboot would be.

Nice passing off my criticism as something minor like run speed when there are serious fundamental design flaws in HR.

Expecting something like Deus Ex HR is probably the best case scenario for this game, but yeah that's still nowhere near as good as a proper sequel/prequel/reboot would be.

Nice passing off my criticism as something minor like run speed when there are serious fundamental design flaws in HR.

There are some decent-sized flaws in HR, but DX wasn't perfect either. The combat was god-awful even back when it was released, and the level design gets generally weaker and more linear as the game goes on. It's still one of the greatest games of all time, but a good update/reboot/spiritual sequel should not unquestioningly copy ever aspect of it without changing anything.

Derrick01

Banned
There are some decent-sized flaws in HR, but DX wasn't perfect either. The combat was god-awful even back when it was released, and the level design gets generally weaker and more linear as the game goes on. It's still one of the greatest games of all time, but a good update/reboot/spiritual sequel should not unquestioningly copy ever aspect of it without changing anything.

They should copy the level design of the original though. As it turned out you just enter a room and look for the hackable door or the vent, it's too linear and what exploration and secrets are in the game is too easy to discover. Skills and lockpicking needs to come back and they need to drastically re-tool the level up system so you don't unlock 90% of the skill tree before the game is over. There should be choices and consequences for the choices, that's what made Deus Ex 1 so great. You pick lockpicking you probably can't get your computer skill up unless you want to completely sacrifice most other skills.

I'll say it again. I'm a Theif not a knight in armor. The character should be agile and fast.
I should be able to leap onto the back of a guard and stab him in the throat but his dying screams attract other guards so I jump to a window sill and climb inside where I slide under a bed...

I want to swing on a chandelier Errol Flynn style...

Top Bottom