• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA LIVE 18 demo is up on Xbox and PSN

Truth. Online play is garbage at start up with the terrible input lag lmao. Honestly it gets to be okay uhh 4 months after the fact. I don't know why they can't get their servers right. Haven't tried online on Live yet but I'm gonna assume the same.

Does anyone know if this game has HDR implementation?
Why would you assume the same for Live when all EA Sports games online are lightyears ahead of 2K's? Haven't had nearly the connection issues experienced with 2K playing Madden or FIFA. 2K has an absolutely atrocious online experience. Which is a shame because the core basketball experience is amazing.

Edit:
I need to try the Online portion, but it can't be any worse than 2K's online. 2K's input lag in combination with the long ass animations really kill it for me. I only get the games to play 5v5 online with my friend and all the 2K's for PS4 have been dookie for that. I don't like playing just a single player so the MyPlayer focus got old fast.
Exactly.

TronWayne

I need to try the Online portion, but it can't be any worse than 2K's online. 2K's input lag in combination with the long ass animations really kill it for me. I only get the games to play 5v5 online with my friend and all the 2K's for PS4 have been dookie for that. I don't like playing just a single player so the MyPlayer focus got old fast.

saltyramen

Why would you assume the same for Live when all EA Sports games online are lightyears ahead of 2K's? Haven't had nearly the connection issues experienced with 2K playing Madden or FIFA. 2K has an absolutely atrocious online experience. Which is a shame because the core basketball experience is amazing.
Haven't played FIFA. And you're wrong about Madden. Not flawless by any stretch of the imagination and have honestly had shitty experiences and connections with.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter to me as someone who plays LOCALLY AGAINST FRIENDS, if Live has smooth online gameplay; because the gameplay is shitty and awkward as fuck. Still don't know what you're trying to convey either when I've acknowledged 2K has awful input lag.

I've already posted detailed impressions in other places, too much work to do it again. But quick thoughts:

1. There's still a few janky things here and there. Some are fixable and some will take time. 2k has plenty of jank shit too so it's not just Live.

2. The player progression system >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2k's model of "pay us $50 vc and then spend 50 hours grinding your player more"

Like, it's not even close. You start out with a player that isn't worthless, and it doesn't take long for him to get better. And you can get better while playing with friends. It'll make it a lot easier to create multiple types of players.

3. Very often, video game developers say a game needs 3 years to fully hit its stride. If we consider this is year 1, then I'm happy to support. 2k has spent the last few years figuring out how to nickel and dime their customers more and more....they can fuck right off.

Is the on court product as good as 2k? Overall, nah. But that also might be because I'm very comfortable with 2k's meta and not this one quite yet. But there's a lot of redeemable qualities about it, it's very playable, and I will gladly do what I can to make these two companies competitive again. 2k has improved their visuals, but they have rested on their laurels far too much. They have been getting away with too much bullshit and that's got to come to a stop.

I'll probably get both games, and will likely get 2k used. After all, they're going to make me pay full price just to create a player so I can skip weeks of grinding a 55 overall player.

I'm not a crazy basketball fan, I have 2k17 and 2k15 and really enjoyed them. I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by Live. I didn't expect it to feel so good. The movements feel good, only played 1 game but the players felt like they have weight to them.

If EA keeps this up, next year or the year after, Live might be something to truly consider. Loved the Stephen A Smith segment.

Fjordson

Need to play it more, but my first impressions are that it still looks so far behind 2K. The player models and the animations just can't compare.

Gameplay-wise it's surprisingly good. I'll stick with 2K this year because I always have fun with it and think the gameplay is better, despite some annoyances, but if Live can improve from this as a baseline then 2K may finally have some competition for 2019.

Need to play it more, but my first impressions are that it still looks so far behind 2K. The player models and the animations just can't compare.

Gameplay-wise it's surprisingly good. I'll stick with 2K this year because I always have fun with it and think the gameplay is better, despite some annoyances, but if Live can improve from this as a baseline then 2K may finally have some competition for 2019.

Eh, 2k has more animations, but I don't know if their system is any better. 2k often makes you feel like you aren't in control. Looks better and there's more variety, but 2k jerks you around in annoying ways.

Also, variety is overrated unless you exclusively play with only nba players. Everybody ends up equipping the same one anyways.

Player models are sub par though, agreed there. Thankfully that's the least of my concerns this year.

Spy

After spending a good amount of time with NBA Live 18, I've decided I'm going to skip NBA 2K18 this year. I just can't support a product that tries to nickel and dime you in every way possible and treats their community terribly. Initially I was going to purchase both but I'm starting to realize it's not practical to play two basketball sims at once.

I love how there doesn't appear to be any frustratingly long preset animations like NBA 2K and the load times are so much better.

Jagsrock

Banned
From why I played last night I'm loving it. Sure there is some need for fixes here and there but overall gameplay is fun and I can already tell the one is gonna be a great mode.
I like how momentum is a factor in getting seperation and the right dribble combination can absolutely wreck. The skill trees etc are pretty awesome. I'm pretty happy overall. It may not surpass 2k for some people but for me it's a breath of fresh air. Especially when 2k has been so stagnant and boarderline broken at times.

ViciousDS

Banned
Do we get anything off the bat ordering the full version of the game? Kind of upset the only coop we have are two live challenges against overall 90's LSK playlist isn't bad, but holy shit at smooves team

Also why can't we get a basketball game that doesn't have high input lag online. It's really annoying how anyone thinks it's acceptable from either 2k or EA

saltyramen

After spending a good amount of time with NBA Live 18, I've decided I'm going to skip NBA 2K18 this year. I just can't support a product that tries to nickel and dime you in every way possible and treats their community terribly. Initially I was going to purchase both but I'm starting to realize it's not practical to play two basketball sims at once.

I love how there doesn't appear to be any frustratingly long preset animations like NBA 2K and the load times are so much better.

So you've also tried 2K18? I don't recall them trying to nickel and dime me in any of the Association based modes. I also wouldn't call NBA Live a sim lol. It's pretty far from it right now. Plays like an arcade game.

Again, you can easily branch out of the animations when dribbling or taking it to the rack. I'm confused at why everyone keeps saying this. Maybe the control scheme has too big of a learning curve?

So you've also tried 2K18? I don't recall them trying to nickel and dime me in any of the Association based modes. I also wouldn't call NBA Live a sim lol. It's pretty far from it right now. Plays like an arcade game.

Again, you can easily branch out of the animations when dribbling or taking it to the rack. I'm confused at why everyone keeps saying this. Maybe the control scheme has too big of a learning curve?

Lucky you, but the majority of people play MyCareer and play online. The #s prove it. They nickel and dime those people beyond belief.

I'm fine if they want to nickel and dime cosmetics. But you could smell the greed from a mile away. Every passing year, they make your starting player worse, make it more expensive to level him up, makes the grind worse, and they started charging for animations last year and this year they bumped up the price on those animations for no reason whatsoever.

And you know what plays like an arcade game? 2k, especially when they put out polls like "What % should a good open 3 point shooter make 3s at?" and had 90% as an option. Most people shot at least 60% from three. They also have badges that lets you do unrealistic bullshit, and everybody becomes LeBron James when it comes to chase down blocks. People would just spam ankle breaker and force the defender to fall over even if the defender barely moves. THAT right there is what I call arcade.

If all you do is play offline association, then the gripes a lot of people have won't really matter to you. You can tune things to however you would like. So based on what you've said, 2k is probably the game for you. But there's so many people sick of 2k's legacy issues. I've gotten it every year since 2k6, and I'm getting it again this year, but I'm not excited at all. Not looking forward to the usual "There is something wrong with YOUR connection" fucking bullshit they throw at us.

Also, online leagues used to be a thing here on GAF in the late 2000s. Since I think 2k9, it's gotten worse and worse, and it is pretty much neglected now. They don't care about that portion of the fan base because it's not what makes them money. And I am not exaggerating when it comes to MLO. It's so disappointing.

Zach

I played a couple games. Probably haven't bought a basketball game since 2K12?

Anyway, it was pretty fun. Controlled pretty well. Felt more natural than what I remember from 2K.

Fjordson

Eh, 2k has more animations, but I don't know if their system is any better. 2k often makes you feel like you aren't in control. Looks better and there's more variety, but 2k jerks you around in annoying ways.

Also, variety is overrated unless you exclusively play with only nba players. Everybody ends up equipping the same one anyways.

Player models are sub par though, agreed there. Thankfully that's the least of my concerns this year.
2K still feels better to me. They do go heavy on animation, but I never feel stuck in them.

And the accuracy of the player models is an important thing imo, I mostly play with NBA players. Presentation in general is a big part of sports game for me. 2K also struggled with that for years, where player body types didn't match up to their real life versions, but the images they've put out of 2K18 look spot on.

Can't deny that Live 18 plays much better than the last few Lives, but for me it seems like they're still a year or two away.

2K still feels better to me. They do go heavy on animation, but I never feel stuck in them.

And the accuracy of the player models is an important thing imo, I mostly play with NBA players. Presentation in general is a big part of sports game for me. 2K also struggled with that for years, where player body types didn't match up to their real life versions, but the images they've put out of 2K18 look spot on.

Can't deny that Live 18 plays much better than the last few Lives, but for me it seems like they're still a year or two away.

I agree, they're a year or two away from being the GREAT game I want it to be. But right now, it's decent enough where I'm happy to let them know I think they're headed in the right direction and they can have my $. I want to give Live a +1 in sales and 2k a -1. I think some issues are patchable, and some others will take time. So because of that, I might get it once they've sorted things out. Also, I wouldn't consider 2k great either. Why does it need to take 15 seconds off the shot clock just to initiate a play?

2k's still got a chance to rope me back in, but I highly, highly doubt that they suddenly turn myCareer into a less greedy mode on their end.

Spy

No but I've bought NBA 2K every year since NBA 2K9. You must not play in MyPark if you don't understand how big of a problem the long animations are coupled with the lag.

And as far as trying to nickel and dime you? Try playing in MyPark with your 55 OVR who can't even make a wide open layup and the only way to level him up is to put in some serious grind, and I don't even want to get into MyTeam.

RS4-

Does this have VC bs like 2k?
If not i might take a gamble.

DOn't think so. Not even the crates.

iirc, you start your player at level 70ish, and not 55/60 or whatever 2k had. And the endless garbage grind that plagued 2k's MyPlayer.

So things like a lockdown wing player, say you want to pump a stat when you level up, there are thresholds that unlock another buff, cosmetic, etc. On ball defense I believe, the first stat point you dump in it, you get +5% defense, eventually you get shoes, +10%, etc.

At other level milestones, you unlock more stuff to equip and other buffs.

And being locked into some canned animations in 2k is terrible.

Fjordson

I agree, they're a year or two away from being the GREAT game I want it to be. But right now, it's decent enough where I'm happy to let them know I think they're headed in the right direction and they can have my $. I want to give Live a +1 in sales and 2k a -1.

2k's still got a chance to rope me back in, but I highly, highly doubt that they suddenly turn myCareer into a less greedy mode on their end.
I can agree there. The progression for Live seems way, way better than MyCareer. The way they start you off as a completely worthless player and push you towards buying a ton of VC has soured me on that mode. Also, maybe it was just me, but the loading times in MyCareer for everything seemed terrible last year. It took forever to get into anything.

Stuff like that is why I am rooting for Live, even if I may still play 2K this year. Either force 2K to improve or they just end up being the better game.

Edit: I should mention I play exclusively offline also, so I dodge some of the more glaring problems in 2K

DOn't think so. Not even the crates.

iirc, you start your player at level 70ish, and not 55/60 or whatever 2k had. And the endless garbage grind that plagued 2k's MyPlayer.

So things like a lockdown wing player, say you want to pump a stat when you level up, there are thresholds that unlock another buff, cosmetic, etc. On ball defense I believe, the first stat point you dump in it, you get +5% defense, eventually you get shoes, +10%, etc.

At other level milestones, you unlock more stuff to equip and other buffs.

And being locked into some canned animations in 2k is terrible.

The thing I like the most about this progression system is that if you know what you're doing, you can contribute right away. Unlike 2k, you pick an archetype, and your archetype starts out as "Worthless bum" unless you donate $50 or 50 days of non stop grinding.

To make things even better, you can play with friends and level up together. And it doesn't take forever to level up either.

I can agree there. The progression for Live seems way, way better than MyCareer. The way they start you off as a completely worthless player and push you towards buying a ton of VC has soured me on that mode. Also, maybe it was just me, but the loading times in MyCareer for everything seemed terrible last year. It took forever to get into anything.

Stuff like that is why I am rooting for Live, even if I may still play 2K this year. Either force 2K to improve or they just end up being the better game.

The loading is so fucking terrible.

Live : Create lobby. Invite friends. Go.
2k: Load a career. Invite friends. Enter walk-on arena. "OH shit, 2 of us didn't make it? Ok, everybody back out to the main menu. Repeat steps 1-3 again"
And very often "Oh shit, you got disconnected/kicked before the game started? Well we don't want to get negative rep...sorry bud you gonna have to wait for us to finish this game!"

saltyramen

Lucky you, but the majority of people play MyCareer and play online. The #s prove it. They nickel and dime those people beyond belief.

I'm fine if they want to nickel and dime cosmetics. But you could smell the greed from a mile away. Every passing year, they make your starting player worse, make it more expensive to level him up, makes the grind worse, and they started charging for animations last year and this year they bumped up the price on those animations for no reason whatsoever.

And you know what plays like an arcade game? 2k, especially when they put out polls like "What % should a good open 3 point shooter make 3s at?" and had 90% as an option. Most people shot at least 60% from three. They also have badges that lets you do unrealistic bullshit, and everybody becomes LeBron James when it comes to chase down blocks. People would just spam ankle breaker and force the defender to fall over even if the defender barely moves. THAT right there is what I call arcade.

If all you do is play offline association, then the gripes a lot of people have won't really matter to you. You can tune things to however you would like. So based on what you've said, 2k is probably the game for you. But there's so many people sick of 2k's legacy issues. I've gotten it every year since 2k6, and I'm getting it again this year, but I'm not excited at all. Not looking forward to the usual "There is something wrong with YOUR connection" fucking bullshit they throw at us.

I guess it's all a matter of how the user plays. I PLAY Sim ball. 2Ks system allows me to do that. I'm not going to spam whatever move a thousand times to get by the dude. I don't even think it works like that. I guess all your gripes are based around MyCareer and since I don't touch that mode I don't have a problem with it.

Why do you continue to buy the game if it frustrates you that much lol? It's because you know even with the issues it's still better than trash-ass Live. Am I wrong?

No but I've bought NBA 2K every year since NBA 2K9. You must not play in MyPark if you don't understand how big of a problem the long animations are coupled with the lag.

And as far as trying to nickel and dime you? Try playing in MyPark with your 55 OVR who can't even make a wide open layup and the only way to level him up is to put in some serious grind, and I don't even want to get into MyTeam.

nah, I don't touch MyPark and haven't since 2K12 on 360... because it never worked properly for me

Spy

I guess it's all a matter of how the user plays. I PLAY Sim ball. 2Ks system allows me to do that. I'm not going to spam whatever move a thousand times to get by the dude. I don't even think it works like that. I guess all your gripes are based around MyCareer and since I don't touch that mode I don't have a problem with it.

Why do you continue to buy the game if it frustrates you that much lol? It's because you know even with the issues it's still better than trash-ass Live. Am I wrong?
The game nothing like a sim basketball game when it comes to MyPark.

Everything ph33nix said is correct.

It's because I have friends that play 2k and I'm willing to put up with some bullshit just to ball with them. I don't really play other games of any kind. If I thought live was total trash, then I wouldn't buy it at all. So yeah, you're wrong.
But like I said. I'm so disenchanted with them that I'm not going to pre-order the game this year. Normally I'd be there at midnight raring to go. Waiting for a used copy to hit the market.

newsguy

I played about 4 hours. I finished the story stuff and played a few games in the finals as both teams. Game speed feels too slow to me. The broadcast view doesn't map to the stick direction fron what I can tell, so I had to play from the 2K view to pull off any of the moves properly. Dribbling feels extremely limited, I'm sure there's a deeper system there, but I've spun the stick every which way and the most complex thing I've seen is the guy put it between his legs.

The dunks feel way too canned. It's that weird, no momentum style jump where the guy is standing still and suddenly springs up 3 feet and dunks on a guy. its not every time, but when you see it, it's obvious. The the suck in animation under the basket is a thing and it's not physics based like I thought it would be. It does a decent job of making it look like a canned animation isn't happening, but watching the replay you can see where the magnetic force sucks 2 guys together before a dunk.

Overall this feels like a good base. 2K is clearly the more polished product, and with good reason, cause Live hasn't been a thing for many years. One thing I do like is that the MyPlayer stuff lets you level much faster, and I was consistently finishing with 100 and leveling quickly. On the realistic side, this is just a demo, and the full game could very well be the same slow grind that the 2k games are.

If 2K made an NFL game today, I can see thousand of posts praising it, no matter how janky it is. Of course it would be because it hasn't existed in many years. That's how this feels. People want the new thing, but it's not the better product yet. If they continue to build on this base, it could be a tough decision in a couple of years.

saltyramen

The game nothing like a sim basketball game when it comes to MyPark.

Everything ph33nix said is correct.

It's because I have friends that play 2k and I'm willing to put up with some bullshit just to ball with them. I don't really play other games of any kind. If I thought live was total trash, then I wouldn't buy it at all. So yeah, you're wrong.
But like I said. I'm so disenchanted with them that I'm not going to pre-order the game this year. Normally I'd be there at midnight raring to go. Waiting for a used copy to hit the market.

Wait so no offense when I say this then, do you guys enjoy watching NBA basketball? And in your video game form of it you want to play some type of Streetball type fantasy? Because my take is that you guys just want to control one guy the entire time and don't care for the 5v5 aspect of basketball. All your complaints seem to based around MyCareer and your customization options and such. You don't care about the authenticity surrounding the game whether it be signature shots, layups, likeness, etc. You just care about controlling one person; not whether or not the game accurately depicts the NBA. Right? Which is COMPLETELY FINE. Seriously. It's just I'm a completely different type of consumer then. I literally want the closest thing to the broadcast and be able to play that. You guys prefer 2K view I'm assuming?

NBA Live will not satisfy me until it gets player models correct, has accurate shot animations and isn't awkward. Everything about NBA Live is awkward. Look at the players' knees here and tell me this looks natural: http://imgur.com/7SUY99u

If you can look at NBA Live and compare it to 2K and see which replicates the real thing then I honestly don't get how you can think NBA Live isn't trash. I just can't. I hope you enjoy it though. I'm honestly glad it's $20 cheaper.

Wait so no offense when I say this then, do you guys enjoy watching NBA basketball? And in your video game form of it you want to play some type of Streetball type fantasy? Because my take is that you guys just want to control one guy the entire time and don't care for the 5v5 aspect of basketball. All your complaints seem to based around MyCareer and your customization options and such. You don't care about the authenticity surrounding the game whether it be signature shots, layups, likeness, etc. You just care about controlling one person; not whether or not the game accurately depicts the NBA. Right? Which is COMPLETELY FINE. Seriously. It's just I'm a completely different type of consumer then. I literally want the closest thing to the broadcast and be able to play that. You guys prefer 2K view I'm assuming?

NBA Live will not satisfy me until it gets player models correct, has accurate shot animations and isn't awkward. Everything about NBA Live is awkward. If you can look at NBA Live and compare it to 2K and see which replicates the real thing then I honestly don't get how you can think NBA Live isn't trash. I just can't. I hope you enjoy it though. I'm honestly glad it's $20 cheaper.

There's something called Pro-AM and walk on. That's the 5 on 5 version, where you control one player, that's suppose to be sim. I'm going to assume you didn't know this before. The idea is that it should be sim, and that you're playing a role on a team. And let me tell you, it's anything but sim. That's where a lot of frustration kicks in. We'll go to the park if we feel like fucking around and not taking things so seriously. But my squad and I played hundreds of games of 5 on 5.

And PNO mode, which is controlling a whole team, is littered with cheese as well. Everybody plays 5 out and abuses cutters. So that's not really sim either.

We badly want the game to depict the real NBA. It never has. I've kept giving them chances and they're hustling backwards. I've usually been a 2k supporter but this last year soured me so much.

Also, camera view doesn't have anything to do with sim or not. Does broadcast look way better? yeah, but the controls don't feel as natural when I have to think a bit harder which way to flick my stick based on where I am on the court, and I play with absolute controls.

Spy

NBA Live will not satisfy me until it gets player models correct, has accurate shot animations and isn't awkward. Everything about NBA Live is awkward. If you can look at NBA Live and compare it to 2K and see which replicates the real thing then I honestly don't get how you can think NBA Live isn't trash. I just can't. I hope you enjoy it though. I'm honestly glad it's $20 cheaper.
Of course I (and likely ph33nix) watches basketball. I feel like everything we've said is whooshing right over your head. Our complaints are actually that the game does play like a streetball fantasy, when you're playing online. Between the overpowered badges, the high percentage rates at which you can break someone's ankles, in NBA 2K13 or NBA 2K14 three pointers had like a 90% chance to go in, etc. etc.

I'm not trying to be mean but you don't sound like you know what you're talking about.

Of course I (and likely ph33nix) watches basketball. I feel like everything we've said is whooshing right over your head. Our complaints are actually that the game does play like a streetball fantasy, when you're playing online. Between the overpowered badges, the high percentage rates at which you can break someone's ankles, in NBA 2K13 or NBA 2K14 three pointers had like a 90% chance to go in, etc. etc.

I'm not trying to be mean but you don't sound like you know what you're talking about.

Pretty much. He thinks we just want to cheese and that we don't care for sim ball.

You play offline with your friends. You can dictate to each other what sim ball is and call each other out for it. But I can't tell the asshole on the other side when playing online that he's being a tool by using overpowered game mechanics. You may not spam ankle breaker, but that's what the majority of people do.

TronWayne

I literally only played 5v5 online in 2K. The last two years I quit after about a month because the game sucks online, it plays fine offline but I don't care about dominating the computer game after game. As I said earlier the input lag combined with the animation heavy movement makes it really unenjoyable. Not too mention the game still can't handle loose ball situations, using plays still takes forever, and the game plays practically D for you. Badges have been toned down but you can still use completely ass athletic players and dominate with them. I still get flashbacks to Iggy on the Nuggets when he had Shot Creator and posterizer. Dude would just drain moving corner 3's all game and then posterize every center in the game. I can't really speak for Live because I haven't played it year after year to really pick apart all the stupid legacy shit that didn't go away in the shift to new consoles.

saltyramen

There's something called Pro-AM and walk on. That's the 5 on 5 version, where you control one player, that's suppose to be sim. I'm going to assume you didn't know this before. The idea is that it should be sim, and that you're playing a role on a team. And let me tell you, it's anything but sim. That's where a lot of frustration kicks in. We'll go to the park if we feel like fucking around and not taking things so seriously. But my squad and I played hundreds of games of 5 on 5.

And PNO mode, which is controlling a whole team, is littered with cheese as well. Everybody plays 5 out and abuses cutters. So that's not really sim either.

We badly want the game to depict the real NBA. It never has. I've kept giving them chances and they're hustling backwards. I've usually been a 2k supporter but this last year soured me so much.

Also, camera view doesn't have anything to do with sim or not. Does broadcast look way better? yeah, but the controls don't feel as natural when I have to think a bit harder which way to flick my stick based on where I am on the court, and I play with absolute controls.
Fair, my point is just I guess if you wanted it to depict the real thing, wouldn't you be playing "sim" ball against the CPU and tweaking everything to your liking rather than hopping online with users who are gonna find the way to cheese the game?

It doesn't have anything to do with it being sim, didn't mean that. Just meant that if you really wanted it to resemble the televised games, you'd play in Broadcast. I just feel like you two DON'T care for the 5 v 5 aspect and want to control your one person against other random people (non-NBA players)

No no no, I get that. All your problems come from online modes that don't resemble the real broadcast games. That's why I'm saying we're two different consumers and that's why I asked if you care about it being represented accurately.. because obviously the streetball aspect isn't going to do that. I'm talking about the 5v5 game, association modes, local play etc. I was just wondering if you guys cared about that aspect at all. Because if you did, then you would have HELLA gripes w/ this years Live.

And no I'm not taking it like that at all. I honestly like you two lol and just enjoy talking about any form of basketball. No offense taken. I'm not trying to be an asshole either. I just can't communicate my thoughts effectively. My fault.

Fair, my point is just I guess if you wanted it to depict the real thing, wouldn't you be playing "sim" ball against the CPU and tweaking everything to your liking rather than hopping online with users who are gonna find the way to cheese the game?

It doesn't have anything to do with it being sim, didn't mean that. Just meant that if you really wanted it to resemble the televised games, you'd play in Broadcast. I just feel like you two DON'T care for the 5 v 5 aspect and want to control your one person against other random people (non-NBA players)

No no no, I get that. All your problems come from online modes that don't resemble the real broadcast games. That's why I'm saying we're two different consumers and that's why I asked if you care about it being represented accurately.. because obviously the streetball aspect isn't going to do that. I'm talking about the 5v5 game, association modes, local play etc. I was just wondering if you guys cared about that aspect at all.

And no I'm not taking it like that at all. I honestly like you two lol and just enjoy talking about any form of basketball. No offense taken. I'm not trying to be an asshole either. I just can't communicate my thoughts effectively. My fault.

I don't really enjoy playing the CPU in any kind of game, never ever was my thing. And this is mostly because my most fun playing games is co-op. I can't rock single player games anymore. I've had Zelda sitting on my desk since release date and never touched it because I've hit that point in life where sitting around by myself playing a game isn't that interesting to me.

I absolutely care for the 5 v 5 aspect, but I find it so much more rewarding when it's 4 other humans and you have synergy amongst the group. We both care about 5 on 5 play; I just care about a different kind. I would LOVE to play in an online league again where you control an entire team to yourself, unfortunately, 2k doesn't seem to want us to do that. Their improvements to the mode was "You can reset playoff games and relocate teams" But we're still stuck with the fucking shitty keeper system, there's no drafts, and we're forced to have CPU teams in our league.

No offense taken. We all just want these games to be good. I know I speak for many frustrated long-time 2k fans in this thread: the nickel and diming is disgusting and has gotten worse, and it's even more terrible when they're taking in extra $$$ and the servers are still Dreamcast quality. Seriously, it's the year 2017 and going to be 2018 soon, and disconnect and server issues still plague the game like it's 2005. I wanted 2k to give me reasons to keep supporting them and to not care about Live. Unfortunately, they've pushed so many of us in that direction.

saltyramen

I don't really enjoy playing the CPU in any kind of game, never ever was my thing. And this is mostly because my most fun playing games is co-op. I can't rock single player games anymore. I've had Zelda sitting on my desk since release date and never touched it because I've hit that point in life where sitting around by myself playing a game isn't that interesting to me.

I absolutely care for the 5 v 5 aspect, but I find it so much more rewarding when it's 4 other humans and you have synergy amongst the group. I would LOVE to play in an online league again where you control an entire team to yourself, unfortunately, 2k doesn't seem to want us to do that.

No offense taken. We all just want these games to be good. I know I speak for many frustrated long-time 2k fans in this thread: the nickel and diming is disgusting and has gotten worse, and it's even more terrible when they're taking in extra $$$ and the servers are still Dreamcast quality. Seriously, it's the year 2017 and going to be 2018 soon, and disconnect and server issues still plague the game like it's 2005.

Word. I'll actually try Prelude this year and see what's up with the MyCareer and maybe hop on board with you complaining about VC or w/e next year. Anyway, it's nice to see other passionate hoop / video game fans on here. When I used to browse GAF I never really saw the 2K or Live threads that active so this year I'm excited to be involved in em.

Word. I'll actually try Prelude this year and see what's up with the MyCareer and maybe hop on board with you complaining about VC or w/e next year. Anyway, it's nice to see other passionate hoop / video game fans on here. When I used to browse GAF I never really saw the 2K or Live threads that active so this year I'm excited to be involved in em.

It used to be pretty active in the late 2000s, and 2k is the reason why it isn't anymore.

I know a lot of people that used to get 2k every year. GAF leagues were a given. It was so fun. 2k has murdered that mode, and I know plenty of dudes who have refused to buy their game once they saw the nickel and diming, which started in 2k14 and got worse.

I mean, when 2k14 first came out, they charged you VC to change your team's rotations. I was like...no way. This can't be possible. It totally was.

I'm jealous of you. When I was in college, my buddy and I would do what you and your friends do: your own offline association where you play with each other. I loved it. Unfortunately as we grow old people move apart and gaming doesn't happen as much anymore :(

Spy

No no no, I get that. All your problems come from online modes that don't resemble the real broadcast games. That's why I'm saying we're two different consumers and that's why I asked if you care about it being represented accurately.. because obviously the streetball aspect isn't going to do that. I'm talking about the 5v5 game, association modes, local play etc. I was just wondering if you guys cared about that aspect at all. Because if you did, then you would have HELLA gripes w/ this years Live.

I actually enjoy playing against the CPU in MyTeam quite a bit. The problem in that mode stems from the money grab. For example, Domination is the main mode of MyTeam. When you get a three star performance against a team, you receive a gold card pack. In previous years, you were able to get any player on the team you defeated (better players had lower percent chances) from said card pack. This past year, they made it impossible to get anyone above an 89 OVR which is basically another way of trying to get you to purchase VC.

Let's say after two or three months of playing, you finally put together a decent MyTeam. 2K starts dropping better cards (Ruby, Sapphire, Pink Diamond) of the players you have; dramatically decreasing the old cards market value. These new cards can only be purchased with VC or MT, they can't be earned in any way. You might think, "I'll just sell this Stephen Curry which is worth 40k MT and gamble on a few card packs", wrong. Due to the Ruby Curry they just released, you're old Curry is now only worth 8k MT. If you want to compete against people in MyTeam online, which is the only way to earn good cards after you complete Domination, you're going to need better players.

RS4-

I have a huge gripe with Domination as well. The way things are calculated, you're forced to do some cheese shit just to 3* the stages, any other way it's a grind and a huge time sink.

Like, fadeaway jumpers were huge point gains towards the reward tiers in the matches, so you'd just keep on doing them with players like Dirk and such. And then you'd just leave a player open and contest the drive or whatever; they score? No problem, as long as they did it quickly, more possessions for you to get another fader!

I like to play simball like anyone else, but playing the AI is fucking boring, the online lag and the amount of loading is shit. But what other NBA game is there?

I can't bother buying a 2k game unless it's dramatically different with how they handle things. I don't think there's been a single year where 2k had a playable online system. People just put up with it cos there's no other choice.

The card market is shit too. More VCs, the market exploits where people will amass millions of MT or whatever due to a glitch, then the market is fucked up.

We are here. I honestly don't talk about sports that much because the majority in the forum, don't like them. I just got back into Madden(2015) after I realized they surpassed 2K5, IMO. I guess my feelings were hurt for a long time, after the NFL sold the license to EA. Still sour bout that, but they are making a great game of football.

I'm a sucker for competition and I for one am glad to see Live back. NBA 2K is still king, but I do have a soft spot for Live.

Spy

We are here. I honestly don't talk about sports that much because the majority in the forum, don't like them. I just got back into Madden(2015) after I realized they surpassed 2K5, IMO. I guess my feelings were hurt for a long time, after the NFL sold the license to EA. Still sour bout that, but they are making a great game of football.

I'm a sucker for competition and I for one am glad to see Live back. NBA 2K is still king, but I do have a soft spot for Live.
I have a rule that I don't talk about sports (generally) on NeoGAF because I don't value the opinions of people on this website when it comes to that subject matter, lol.

dezzy8

Live 18 isn't bad at all. I enjoyed the demo a lot. Add the 40 dollar price tag and it'll be hard to pass this up. I'm still getting 2K on the Switch though.

Tubobutts

Finished the career mode portion of the demo and played one "Play Now" game and I'm still going to get 2K rather than Live.

The only things I liked were that my career mode character didn't start as a 55 ovr scrub who can't make a layup and the system for leveling up said character seems like it could be cool.

Weird thing that I noticed was that the commentary was like late 90s bad. Obviously stitched together audio clips like "SMITH! has the ball" and "CLEVELAND! calls a timeout".

Spent sometime with this, the animations and passing is so bad and janky. Coming from a sim player whom main attraction is online leagues i can't get behind how downright awful this game feels. The presentation is the one redeeming quality. Jump shot animations are so awful

Top Bottom