• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Weevilone

It's too bad LG is doing this. I've never done a quicker 180 on a product. They've essentially ruined it.

I'll be having to buy a better router so I can block them b/c I'm tired of the TV asking me to upgrade every day, and it's not going to happen. The worst part is that people that do this can't have any further upgrades for other features/fixes. I might just kill the network connection and make it a dumb TV.

I definitely won't be buying another LG TV, and I'd encourage anyone considering doing so to reconsider.

It's too bad LG is doing this. I've never done a quicker 180 on a product. They've essentially ruined it.

I'll be having to buy a better router so I can block them b/c I'm tired of the TV asking me to upgrade every day, and it's not going to happen. The worst part is that people that do this can't have any further upgrades for other features/fixes. I might just kill the network connection and make it a dumb TV.

I definitely won't be buying another LG TV, and I'd encourage anyone considering doing so to reconsider.
Very few OLED alternatives though

The Philips isn't up to par and the Sony is too expensive

Weevilone

Poster on AVS says gaming with other HDR modes is more than playable, he barely notices a difference. And that's with the B6.

I'd agree with this. The only time I found it to be an issue was when I was using Steam Streaming, or using my NV Shield TV to stream PC games. The stacked latency was too much.

Very few OLED alternatives though

The Philips isn't up to par and the Sony is too expensive

I guess the argument becomes whether it's suitable for the task. I would personally say no, so I'd be looking at Sony or LCD alternatives.

I'd agree with this. The only time I found it to be an issue was when I was using Steam Streaming, or using my NV Shield TV to stream PC games. The stacked latency was too much.

That's really good to hear. So chances are if i'm fine with the input lag in Game mode on my 65B6 with Gears 4, BF1 etc, it should be playable with HDR bright, standard or vivid as well? Shit i wish i could try it out. I'd hate to only be losing in upcoming games like Battlefront 2 and CoD and then having to just not use HDR at all, man that would piss me off so badly.

This shouldn't be necessary though, LG should simply quit acting so damn weird,

I guess the argument becomes whether it's suitable for the task. I would personally say no, so I'd be looking at Sony or LCD alternatives.
I'm currently trying out the XE90. Better than anticipated, but the artificial brightness makes for fatiguing viewing

Gonna get an OLED for sure, but I wasn't counting on this botched HDR Game thing to happen

Miker

The update ruining the HDR game mode? Because it for sure has,sadly.

We B6 owners have had it the longest. 😞

What? Unless I'm missing something, see post below (posted just a few days ago):

B is a different SOC so completely different platform as a C/E, so you are okay for now, you should have Version 04.31.20 installed which was out in June. As long as you don't have 5.30.01, 05.30.02 or 05.30.10 installed, you should be fine,

I would turn off automatic updates in your settings, I would assume this update is coming to all OLEDs based on their steadfast wording.

You guys are confusing the older HDR game mode FW update with the new HLG FW update that dims the HDR game mode.
No idea whether B6 owners also got the new one in the meantime or not.

What? Unless I'm missing something, see post below (posted just a few days ago):

I have 04.31.10 installed here. When I tried my friend's Xbox One S and PS4 Pro the games looked way too dim.

But it sounds like LG isn;t changing a damn thing. I assume there just aren't enough complaints that warrant a real change.

SnakeNL

I have 04.31.10 installed here. When I tried my friend's Xbox One S and PS4 Pro the games looked way too dim.

But it sounds like LG isn;t changing a damn thing. I assume there just aren't enough complaints that warrant a real change.

I think we had a dimmer HDR but the update on the other models with the HLG update it dims even more.
So B6 owners get sort of lucky /s
I have no issues with the HDR if the game has ingame brightness slider.

I think we had a dimmer HDR but the update on the other models with the HLG update it dims even more.

Holy shit, even dimmer? Fucking LG man.

Yeah true man. Tweakers.net told me to up the brightness as well of games. Do you max out the game brightness or only halfway?

holygeesus

Banned
Unless you are running 05.30.01, 05.30.02 or 05.30.10, your game mode is fine.

The B6 latest firmware is 04.31.20.

This is country dependant. The UK certainly (all of Europe I think) has had the dim HDR Game mode since it first appeared months ago. We received ours ages after the US was first graced with the mode (which had the screen tearing problem)

NYR

This is country dependant. The UK certainly (all of Europe I think) has had the dim HDR Game mode since it first appeared months ago. We received ours ages after the US was first graced with the mode (which had the screen tearing problem)
I stand corrected!

holygeesus

Banned
I stand corrected!

There is a Russian firmware floating around, that enables HLG on UK sets, but I am unable to clarify if it further dims HDR Game mode or not. When HDR Game first emerged here, it was recommended to use dynamic contrast to boost the 'pop' of the image. I played through Horizon Zero Dawn using this method, and was never not impressed by the image, but it still wasn't as bright as the regular HDR modes.

Paz

I'm getting a C7, am I safe???

Sounds like there's a possibility of them adding this to ALL HDR modes on ALL sets, so nobody really knows what's happening anymore.

Seriously considering downgrading my E6 and just accepting I'll never have HLG support.

Edit - I just emailed LG support in my region to voice my displeasure, probably won't make a difference but it's all you can do.

Colbert

Banned
Unless you are running 05.30.01, 05.30.02 or 05.30.10, your game mode is fine.

The B6 latest firmware is 04.31.20.

I am on a B6 and firmware 04.31.25 (Germany), there is no 04.31.20 here. That is the latest update available but I do not see any HDR dimming in game mode tbh. I also disabled manual update to avoid a firmware update after reading through the recent pages.

I just find it unbelievable that they would just ignore the complaint and actually think this looks good, Jesus. Maybe they should take a look at their other HDR modes and then realize something definitely is off.

How hard can it be to either just fix this or add an extra mode that has the right brightness.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just find it unbelievable that they would just ignore the complaint and actually think this looks good, Jesus. Maybe they should take a look at their other HDR modes and then realize something definitely is off.

How hard can it be to either just fix this or add an extra mode that has the right brightness.
I'm sure there's an engineer or person in charge that simply prefers this implementation. It could be as simple as that, I dunno.

One of my co-workers, Dave, always keep brightness low and the color temp very warm. The results look very dull to my eyes but he loves it that way. The current HDR Game mode implementation is exactly the kind of thing he would prefer. :D

Oh, that's interesting. The HDR Game update on my German B6 was always less vivid than the other HDR modes but, as long as the games in question have an HDR brightness option, it's a non-issue. Even without it, the results are still good...just not as bright as it could be.

If the new firmware for E6 owners dims it further than that, though, it's a big deal.

Macaco84

guys, this issue with the brightness, is it also effecting the B7? Can anyone confirm?

I'm asking because on Amazon it just had a massive price drop.

I'm tempted to get it, but not if the price drop is due to the HDR no longer working properly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XVMNVD5/

Wow that is a superb price.

Really ashame this hdr dimming issue has arisen. Not the first time a company has seemingly hobbled their own product with an update. Happens a fair bit with games too (eg the prey patch that completely threw out the frame pacing).

As people arent really getting anywhere with customer services i do wonder if this should just go straight to the top. For uk customers it might be worth an email to steve beaman (general service manager lg uk) or even mr BJ Koo (ceo lg) if that doesnt work. Email addresses available on ceoemail.com.

I think we have to be clear just how far under the hdr certification (1000 nits) lg was before they introduced this update and now it is even lower. I think a well crafted email could go a long way her. I just recently emailed the ceo of the store i bought my tv from (a major uk nationwide retailer) and got a response within hours and a resolution within the day. Cant hurt to try.

Did they announce something?

From page 1

Thought this was deserving of its own thread considering the amount of discussion happening around folks upgrading their TV sets.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...etitions-champagne-at-the-ready/#66ac30c24bb8

Happily, though, it appears that people power has already prevailed. LG has now confirmed exclusively to me that is going to be rolling out a firmware update to its TVs that will address the HDR lag situation.

Here, in full, is LG's response:

”LG Electronics has been made aware that some customers are experiencing lag on their displays when playing HDR games on LG TVs.

LG engineers are currently working on a firmware patch to address the issue which is expected to roll out shortly.

LG is also working on a solution for 2017 LG TV models which may include the option of an HDR gaming mode.

LG is committed to providing the highest standards of product quality and customer service.

As such, we regret any inconvenience this has caused our customers and confirm our commitment to resolving this issue as quickly as possible."

Lucifon

Huh! That explains it. So you US folk are only just getting the dim HDR mode that some of us were complaining about a while back? There were some people including myself complaining but a bunch saying there were no issues. Now this explains it if we've been hit with the dim HDR Game Mode a while ago.

f@luS

More than a member.
So I came back from vacation today
Of course my lg 65c6v updated by itself (EU 05.30.10)
Can someone explain to me the most simple way to go back to the previous one ?

f@luS

More than a member.
Huh! That explains it. So you US folk are only just getting the dim HDR mode that some of us were complaining about a while back? There were some people including myself complaining but a bunch saying there were no issues. Now this explains it if we've been hit with the dim HDR Game Mode a while ago.
Oh so euro models don't Chicha he anything ?
That would explain why since hdr game mode arrived I tested and used dynamic contrast as it was the most correct comparing to non hdr ?

Édit : just tried on my 65c6v. It's clearly darker and dimmer than before. I need to downgrade :(

NYR

John Archer updated his article, looks like people are providing him with good feedback on the changes and saying the update, while dark, does provide ”more detail in peak bright areas".

There is also a suggestion to update the settings on HDR Game mode to the below to make it look better as well as turn Dynamic contract to High. I tried it, and it actually does look reasonable (still pretty dark though):

OLED 100
Contrast 60
Brightness 54
Dynamic Contrast High

Here are some pics. Note I took them with my iPhone 7 Plus which has a great camera so it might make it look better than it really is:

HDR Bright:
otUlmY3.png

HDR Game:
k5Bdmml.png

f@luS

More than a member.
John Archer updated his article, looks like people are providing him with good feedback on the changes and saying the update, while dark, does provide “more detail in peak bright areas”.

There is also a suggestion to update the settings on HDR Game mode to the below to make it look better as well as turn Dynamic contract to High. I tried it, and it actually does look reasonable (still pretty dark though):

OLED 100
Contrast 60
Brightness 54
Dynamic Contrast High

Here are some pics. Note I took them with my iPhone 7 Plus which has a great camera so it might make it look better than it really is:

HDR Bright:
otUlmY3.png

HDR Game:
k5Bdmml.png
My hdr both game and standard for movies has always been high dynamic contrast as I found that was the most accurate comparing straight to the same source non hdr
Just came back and my tv updated so it's still on high by now game mode is much darker :( tried injustice 2 and its less colorful and darker. Less appealing visually

So just reset the HDR Game mode on my 2016 LCD. Then switched dynamic contrast to high. Once I'd readjusted the HDR settings within Forza Horizon 3 it looked pretty good.

TLZ

Banned
Yea not a problem for me. But again OLED light is at 100 now. I'm not sure what's the point of having anything less than a 100 on there.

Kyoufu

Sounds like it's not that big a deal if you're not in a bright viewing room

No, It's dark as fuck even in a cave. It doesn't matter what your viewing environment is, that's not how HDR should be, especially on an OLED that's already dimmer than LCD TVs.

No, It's dark as fuck even in a cave. It doesn't matter what your viewing environment is, that's not how HDR should be, especially on an OLED that's already dimmer than LCD TVs.
Lmao damn man that's savage

That bad huh. The picture above and the accompanying post made it seem alright

Thing is though, LCD HDR is too bright for me. Really fatiguing to watch in the evening. But this is also less than ideal then

Is this HDR game mode problem only on 2016 LG Oleds?

No LCD too, like my 2016 850V.

However trying the LG suggestion of Dynamic Contrast on high I can't see much difference between Game HDR mode and the default HDR mode.

So it doesn't seem a huge issue after all.

Top Bottom