• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

xbox one 1080p captures with and without filter (thanks Gizmowned)

Mononoke

Banned
Going by those comparison shots it almost looks as if Double Helix was aware of what that filter would do and brightened up the games output to compensate.

Think about it like this- what sort of HDTV do most people have today ? That's right , probably a 300-500$ 32-40 inch LCD that has trouble displaying a nice contrast ratio , especially on the darker end. So having a filter that makes all those "invisible greys" (invisible to the widest TV audience) go to black doesn't actually do much to the image for that same typical TV owner.

On these forums you have many people that spent 800+ $ on a new TV in the last couple years and even on the LCD front , gimmicks with local dimming and LED backlights have allowed a more accurate color reproduction , so people on places such as neogaf , we can see all the differences between the normal and filtered image. Especially if you have a plasma TV.

Basically, the non filtered image just looks like the gamma is set a wee bit too high. Does the game have an internal adjustment for that ? If not, then turning the brightness on your TV down just a bit would probably remove that washed out look. Otherwise you can settle for the MS uber dark filter. Going by these screenshots I'd almost settle for that if I couldn't get a better image out of the 720p mode.

Yes I'm on a 55 inch plasma TV and the blacks are crushed to hell on KI and Dead Rising 3. I've spent hours re-calibrating trying to offset how it looks on X1. Mind you my original calibration looked perfect on PS4, Wii U, PS3, 360 etc. It's only X1 where it looks this bad. Been really frustrating.

What the hell was microsoft thinking?

I've always wondered if they settled on the crushed/oversaturated look off of surveying and random sampling. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread where people honestly go on about the vivid colors and shadows.

Beauty in the eye of the beholder and they focus on that demographic?

orioto

Good Art™
So in the end, that secret sauce was a mix of expired ketchup and mayo with a pinch of melted butter on top of it, hmmmm..

All the ones on the left look better imo. If turning up the brightness on my TV fixes the darkness issues, I'd rather play like that than the super jaggy version that's brighter.

Aaron

All the ones on the left look better imo. If turning up the brightness on my TV fixes the darkness issues, I'd rather play like that than the super jaggy version that's brighter.
It won't. With crushed blacks, turning up the brightness will just wash the image out.

madmackem

The up scaler in this machine is utter shit. I made the original post bringing up the issue, its sharpens the picture to within an inch of its life, i can only assume this is ms weapon to combat the ps4 having the better gpu. Infact its making games look worse than they are, need to fix this shit ms.

VXLbeast

Grimløck;91979944 said:
They both look like crap. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
My first thought. I hate to be a downer, but this shot looks horrifying, filter or no filter v
ibfTNUgU47X2E2.png

REDRZA

Banned
[I thought this from the crushed blacks thread deserved its own thread, all credit goes to Gizmowned. None of this is my work]

As Izayoi points out,

My only question through all of this is why is there even need for this upscaler? Why doesn't the xbox one just display games in their native resolutions? I'm sure native 720p looks way better than upscaling it with a weird sharpening effect with crushed blacks and or color distortion. Just play games in native resolution please.

synce

Wow the jaggies are ridiculous. It's as bad as DOA5, and I'd argue that game even looks better overall.

The crushed blacks are even more ridiculous. Is it too much to expect accurate colors from a $500 console?

Why did MS do this?

My guess is that their focus testing show that Inaccurate overly saturated colors fool people into thinking the image is better.

So they went ahead and implemented:
PLAN A - Fool people with awesome color crushing power!

Izayoi

Banned
Effective post AA filters like FXAA use things like the luma channel and such for proper AA, right? Hard to imagine how a post AA filter like this one that would only operate on the actual final image can anti-alias the image so effectively.
My theory is that Microsoft is using some kind of FXAA injector, similar to SweetFX.

All I know is KI looks about 10,000% better than that in person.
I actually think it looks worse. I saw it at a friends house, and being blown up on a 50"+ TV only makes the flaws even more obvious. It's definitely not a looker by any means.

HoodWinked

Why did MS do this?

My guess is that their focus testing show that Inaccurate overly saturated colors fool people into thinking the image is better.

So they went ahead and implemented:
PLAN A - Fool people with awesome color crushing power!

the whole basis of this statement makes no sense, you're now saying its not accurate for people to think that this looks better in their eyes. NO THEY MUST BE FOOLED!

hesido

The effect is not confined to sharpen there, there's also bloom effect in those crushed captures, so the post process effects may well be provided by the OS (hence the glitches when switching between dash and the game), and are probably optional. The post process effects seem to not only be scaling, but also wide area sharpen / contrast / bloom.

Izayoi

Banned
Neither set of images are unfiltered as claimed. Here is a zoomed in view of the pair of images with Sabrewulf filling most of the frame. There is clear evidence of halos from oversharpening in both images which means that the right side images are not entirely unmolested.

http://i.minus.com/i5qqgiHGrCD5r.png[img]
[img]http://i.minus.com/iSqm2W29NQpwq.png[img][/QUOTE]
Their post-AA is pretty nice. Looks like SMAA, maybe? I'm not an expert, but it definitely looks a lot better than FXAA to me.

HoodWinked

The effect is not confined to sharpen there, there's also bloom effect in those crushed captures, so the post process effects may well be provided by the OS (hence the glitches when switching between dash and the game), and are probably optional. The post process effects seem to not only scaling, but also wide area sharpen / contrast / bloom.

i think people are arguing that the sharpening is before the filter. since you can see sharpening halos in the 'clean' images.

BigDug13

With FXAA being applied as well as everything they're trying to do to mask the resolution difference, it's obvious to me that after MS's 1080p claims, they were targeting sub-1080p as this gen's standard. Otherwise so much work wouldn't have gone into such a "magic scaler".

hesido

i think people are arguing that the sharpening is before the filter. since you can see sharpening halos in the 'clean' images.

Oh, that makes sense. The sharpening halos are indeed in those "clean" images, I thought the "clean" ones were meant to look like those without the sharpening so didn't pay attention.

Then the lack of bloom or "color correction" may well be because of different game states having different amount of access to GPU resources based on what you are doing, as per the leaked dev documents.

Clawww

Not sure what the point of this thread is. Game looks really great in motion and plays wonderfully.

Not sure what the point of this post is, since it makes no effort to understand the thread or the discussion going on in it.

nib95

Banned
I'll go with the 360 version as usual. PS3 looks washed out in comparison, 360 is more crisp and I love how it pops!

Except it's not washed out at all, the monitor or screen you're viewing it on just lacks the black depth to make it pop. View the same screen on a Panasonic Plasma, or Kuro or something and come back and say it's washed out. It's not. It's how the image is meant to look, it's the 360/Xbox One that crush blacks for extra flair but lose shadow detail in doing so.

Sydle

Not sure what the point of this post is, since it makes no effort to understand the thread or the discussion going on in it.

It's a niche enthusiasts discussion over a graphics observation. I read the thread and I don't see what's constructive about it or what's to be gained from it, good or bad.

If people are trying to figure out how to counter the crushed blacks then that effort has been lost in this thread.

I'm speechless how the sharpening filter could pass quality control - or whatever the correct department for this kind of thing is.
So far the best example how the filter affects the final frame, better than the pictures from the Verge. and nice to see that it's apparently easy to circumvent the sharpening filter option, hence updates can fix the problem.

is this another thread where people just go on about preferring crushed blacks, while completely ignoring that they can just lower the brightness slider on their TV to crush the blacks on properly output images, leaving those of us who LIKE properly output images with our desired image?

you can crush the blacks on your display if you like that aesthetic.

if the Xbox One crushes the blacks itself, that detail is lost, and nothing we do on our TVs can get it back.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
With FXAA being applied as well as everything they're trying to do to mask the resolution difference, it's obvious to me that after MS's 1080p claims, they were targeting sub-1080p as this gen's standard. Otherwise so much work wouldn't have gone into such a "magic scaler".

Pretty much no effort went into that. But if you want evidence that MS was targeting sub-1080p, then just look at their display plane features.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What's the point of this? When I play this at home everyday it looks great, runs great and is fun as hell. You guys are missing out on an awesome fighting game.

Top Bottom