• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

xbox one 1080p captures with and without filter (thanks Gizmowned)

Madness

it should be.

It's a free game ffs... It was never meant to be a huge AAA game with a hundred million budget. It's basically a freemium demo that is super fun and the devs have really taken fan feedback to heart and also listened to the fighting community. Games like Ryse, Forza, Dead Rising, that are actual retail releases and cost money to play are what should define the system, not Killer Instinct.

That's like saying Wii sports defines the graphical capabilities of the Wii.

cbwaqYQ.png

Picture that image where the 5 or so darkest bands are all plain black. Crushed blacks destroy greyscale and shadow detail.

Jesus, that image was freaking me out, since my VA was unable to display any diference between last white and black bars, and it have some banding.

Turns out image isn't properly cut, since there is no diference beyond dot lines, and it is a .jpg with major artifacts.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I really hope MS gets on this. Remove the sharpening and black crush and I'll be a very happy man. It's not game-breaking, but there are parts in Dead Rising 3 where you CANNOT see even on the highest in-game brightness setting.

EDIT: And to those complaining about KI graphics overall... you guys should lay off. In motion the game looks great and plays like a dream. It may be my fav launch game on both new consoles.

haikira

Why am I surprised another technical thread is being shit up with "Won't someone think of the games?". If you want to discuss the games themselves rather than have a discussion about the Xbox One scaler, then take it to the OT for your game and not a thread about the Scaler in the Xbox One. Thinking outside the box, I know, but try it.

Being interested in the consoles and games on a technical level and enjoying games, aren't mutually exclusive. I'm sick of people coming into these threads and creating a strawman argument, that they are.

CoG

Jesus, that image was freaking me out, since my VA was unable to display any diference between last white and black bars, and it have some banding.

Turns out image isn't properly cut, since there is no diference beyond dot lines, and it is a .jpg with major artifacts.

Sorry, imgur molested it.

kitch9

Banned
What's the point of this? When I play this at home everyday it looks great, runs great and is fun as hell. You guys are missing out on an awesome fighting game.

Whats that got to do with the fucking shite scaler thats ruining the image of your great game?

PSGames

I really hope MS gets on this. Remove the sharpening and black crush and I'll be a very happy man. It's not game-breaking, but there are parts in Dead Rising 3 where you CANNOT see even on the highest in-game brightness setting.

EDIT: And to those complaining about KI graphics overall... you guys should lay off. In motion the game looks great and plays like a dream. It may be my fav launch game on both new consoles.

Only game I own for the Xbox One currently and I love it. These screens aren't indicative of my experience. In person the game looks pretty great. Not amazing by any means but definitely a step up from current gen.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Only game I own for the Xbox One currently and I love it. These screens aren't indicative of my experience. In person the game looks pretty great. Not amazing by any means but definitely a step up from current gen.

The screens obviously don't show the game in motion, but the game DOES suffer from crushed blacks and I think it greatly affects the image quality of the game. But yes, the game is WONDERFUL. I really should learn the use the digital pad instead of the analogs, though, because my left thumbs hurts from aggressive play. Can't wait for my joystick in 2 weeks!

Reallink

This is going to lead to some devs trying to fix the 1080p scaled output by blowing out the brightness by default which will in turn break the 720p output. MS has to fix this.

Jeff-DSA

Well now that I know that they're looking at it, let me state this here.

You freakin' lost it Microsoft. I have both an Xbox One and PlayStation 4 and the latter is running circles around the former in regards to overall gaming experience. Performance, speed, and reliability, the PlayStation 4 is stomping all over the Xbox One. And this is coming from a firm Xbox 360 guy. Good luck going forward, because unless you guys pull your heads out, it's going to be a LONG generation as your core base bleeds out and runs to Sony.

taoofjord

I just tried turning the display in settings to 720p and it's shocking how much better killer instinct and dead rising 3 look. I hope MS gets rid of the filter ASAP... It's atrocious.

EBE

i dont understand this scaling business. my tv only displays up to 720p. is there something wrong with the image?

moonbox

Banned
I've done some testing, and the Xbox One does not actually crush blacks. Both limited and full range RGB output as they should do.

HD LCD TVs have something called 'HDMI Black Level' if you're playing through HDMI and in 720p or higher (1080p) - it is disabled below 720p.

Typically, there are two settings for HDMI Black Level; Normal and Low. Normal is the equivalent of Full Range RGB, and Low is the equivalent of Limited RGB.

In short: If Xbox One is set to Full RGB, set HDMI Black Level on your TV to Normal.

If Xbox One is set to Limited RGB, set HDMI Black Level on your TV to Low.

If you mix either of the settings (Xbox One set to Full, TV set to Low, or Xbox One set to Limited, TV set to Normal) you will see crushed blacks.

If your TV does not support Full Range RGB, and you set your Xbox One to output as such, again, you will see crushed blacks.

Killer Instict is crushed by design.

As for the sharpening, I believe the brunt of what we've seen up to now, at least where jaggies are concerned, is again, down to calibration.

Killer Instinct is a crushed, jaggy game, this is undeniable. However, I, personally have only been able to replicate the severity of jaggies in the OP by enabling sharpening on my TV and setting it extremely high.

As it stands, with sharpening disabled (I've tested on multiple TVs) jaggies are reminiscent of the Xbox 360 - differing between games but mostly insignificant, except in a few cases.

Assassins Creed looks very smooth to me.

NFS:Rivals looks very smooth to me.

BF4 (multiplayer) has jaggies reminiscent of Xbox 360. No more, no less. No ultra smooth magic sauce, but not as jaggy as KI.

And to add, one more thing: sometime during the second half of the 360s cycle, it received an update that allowed display discovery to calibrate your TV automatically, even sharpness. So, if you chose 'optimal' under display settings, in the case of a Samaung TV for example, the image mode would have changed to 'Entertainment' and a lot of settings, including sharpness would have been locked (greyed) out.

The Xbox One does not appear to have this feature. The Xbox One equivalent seems only to set resolution output to match your TV's native one.

So basically, you need to calibrate your shit, people.

xJavonta

Banned
how long did resogun take to make? And other than the crazy particles, it's not much of a graphical showcase. If my last gen friends came over and wanted me to show them what the ps4 could do, resogun would not be the game I would show them.

Took my PS4 to my buddy's house, first game I booted up was resogun and all my friends were like "holy shit that looks incredible"

So I'd say it's a pretty great graphical showcase and definitely brings out the wow factor. Can't say the same for KI.

Top Bottom