• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

xbox one 1080p captures with and without filter (thanks Gizmowned)

Grimløck;91979944 said:
They both look like crap. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Exactly... But for this game, if I have to pick w/c looks I would prefer, I would go with the sharpened/darkened version... THough they both really look ass. They need to tone that shit a little bit down.

I miss the days when we could just play games and enjoy them instead of focusing on stuff the majority of us never even notice in the wild.

why not just use those same powers of ignoring stuff you use not to be bothered by crushed blacks on those of us hoping we can get fixable things that annoy us fixed. BF4 is better for having had the sharpening filters patched out. Ryse is better for not using them. Etc. It's good that there exists workarounds that mitigate these issues which work for certain titles.

this isn't the same as wanting 1080p output on more games on the Xbox One, because that ship has sailed already. it is what it is. crushed blacks and sharpness filters being forced on us is completely fixable. hell, leave them on by default and give me an option I can turn off. I don't care. I'm not trying to take anything away from people that prefer crushed blacks and sharpness filters. The problem is that once they're baked in, I can't remove them.

People that like that look can attain it with their TV, so there's no reason for it to not at least be optional *on the output end*.

pixelat3d

Exactly... But for this game, if I have to pick w/c looks I would prefer, I would go with the sharpened/darkened version... THough they both really look ass. They need to tone that shit a little bit down.

KI has always looked awful. DR3 isn't a great looking game either, but they're first generation games on new hardware that was a moving target during development. Hell, you could make a solid case that KI isn't even finished. OTOH they're actually both pretty fun, so I can forgive it for now.

I think plenty of people pointed it out already, but if you look at Ryse or Forza it's more than evident the console is capable of delivering much more visually rich experiences. I know it's not cool, but let's call off the hounds for a bit.

Izayoi

Banned
I miss the days when we could just play games and enjoy them instead of focusing on stuff the majority of us never even notice in the wild.
I miss the days when a videogame forum was a place to discuss videogames, be it positive or negative.

What's the point of this? When I play this at home everyday it looks great, runs great and is fun as hell. You guys are missing out on an awesome fighting game.

Came here to post the same thing.

I doubt think even 10% of the people who own this game are ignoring the fact that its a fucking great game and whining about visuals.

Ive also noticed in all these 'omg the sucky graphics' threads that the games look nowhere near as bad as the screens shown in the thread and the same applies here.

Does the scaler exist? Sure. Is it an 'issue' in this case? Quite debatable imo.

Except it's not washed out at all, the monitor or screen you're viewing it on just lacks the black depth to make it pop. View the same screen on a Panasonic Plasma, or Kuro or something and come back and say it's washed out. It's not. It's how the image is meant to look, it's the 360/Xbox One that crush blacks for extra flair but lose shadow detail in doing so.

Come on man, it was rather obvious.

Izayoi

Banned
What's the point of this? When I play this at home everyday it looks great, runs great and is fun as hell. You guys are missing out on an awesome fighting game.
Yeah, what's the point of having a discussion about videogames, anyway?

We might as well just shut down the gaming side as a whole, no reason to actually talk about videogames when we could be playing them instead, right?

eso76

Just ignore him lol
(But killer instinct is 720p native btw, not 1080p)

yup, but the TTT PS2 pic he posted IS 1080P :D

surprised to see KI grabs look so bad anyway. It's not a technical showcase or anything but i thought it looked rather good in person,, i never had a problem with its IQ at 720p

btw, they should show us a downscaled 1080p game

Raist

Banned
Holy shit these "filter off" pics.

The sadest thing about KI is that there's absolutely no reason why this game couldn't be 1080p60 and not crippled by awful aliasing and other IQ problems. It's a 2.5D fighting game FFS.

Timu

yup, but the TTT PS2 pic he posted IS 1080P :D

surprised to see KI grabs look so bad anyway. It's not a technical showcase or anything but i thought it looked rather good in person,, i never had a problem with its IQ at 720p

btw, they should show us a downscaled 1080p game
It can look great in screens as well!
30b56346_20131130183230.png

I wouldn't remove the filter entirely, but tone down the sharpening and the contrast. Or better yet, throw in a few sliders, and let people choose their own settings at the OS level (and if you could override those settings on a per-title basis, even better).

I remember seeing the Alan Wake frame buffer grabs for the first time, they looked horribly muddy and low res. Yet on my TV, the game looked glorious.

Dizzy

Banned
Oh man, those crushed blacks are awful. It's killing most of the background.

Reminds me of some PS3/360 comparisons last-gen. People say PS3 is washed out, no the xbox image is just overdone. It pops out yes but you loose a lot of detail in the process.

Shiggy

How come those screenshots look outright horrible? When I tried Killer Instinct, it didn't look nearly as bad.

Eusis

I'm actually sort of baffled as to why sharpening is an option for TVs still. Wasn't that more a product of the nature of CRTs?

Biker19

Banned
Agreed. Soul Calibur showed off the DC. Although the DC had a very short timespan, it's arguably still the best looking 3D fighter on the system. DOA3 showed off the Xbox at launch and it stood above any DC or PS2 3D fighters at the time. 360 has DOA4 which was very impressive for 2005 standards being far ahead of anything on the market except maybe HD SC2 on Xbox.

KI is not impressive for 2013 standards.

But if we go further into the past, we can see games like Virtua Fighter for the Saturn and Battle Arena Toshinden for the PSX which are both hideous. But then we have Virtua Fighter 2 which is arguably the best looking 3D fighter of the generation and Tekken 3 which is the best looking PSX fighter and we can see that launches are sometimes rushed. They look a generation ahead of their launch counterparts.

Let's really hope it's more of a 32-bit launch than a DC/Xbox launch or MS is in trouble.

Exactly. And KI 2013 is exclusive to Microsoft's next gen console. It should very well be showing off what Xbox One could do graphics wise.

This game needs a 1080p or 900p patch. The horrible sharpness filter makes me not want to play it. The game looks like pure shit.

hawk2025

I doubt think even 10% of the people who own this game are ignoring the fact that its a fucking great game and whining about visuals.

Ive also noticed in all these 'omg the sucky graphics' threads that the games look nowhere near as bad as the screens shown in the thread and the same applies here.

Does the scaler exist? Sure. Is it an 'issue' in this case? Quite debatable imo.

So you came into a thread dedicated to people who care about this, to say that they shouldn't care about this.

Ok.

Some of us actually want to debate and potentially resolve an issue that, for us, makes the graphics look worse.

daman824

Resogun is literally free for PS+ members on the PS4, and it's a far better showcase of graphics than KI.
how long did resogun take to make? And other than the crazy particles, it's not much of a graphical showcase. If my last gen friends came over and wanted me to show them what the ps4 could do, resogun would not be the game I would show them.

Satchel

Banned
why not just use those same powers of ignoring stuff you use not to be bothered by crushed blacks on those of us hoping we can get fixable things that annoy us fixed. BF4 is better for having had the sharpening filters patched out. Ryse is better for not using them. Etc. It's good that there exists workarounds that mitigate these issues which work for certain titles.

this isn't the same as wanting 1080p output on more games on the Xbox One, because that ship has sailed already. it is what it is. crushed blacks and sharpness filters being forced on us is completely fixable. hell, leave them on by default and give me an option I can turn off. I don't care. I'm not trying to take anything away from people that prefer crushed blacks and sharpness filters. The problem is that once they're baked in, I can't remove them.

People that like that look can attain it with their TV, so there's no reason for it to not at least be optional *on the output end*.

I never said I liked crushed blacks. I said I don't notice them.

I'm most likely going to look for them now though. I'm on a Panasonic Plasma so I would have assumed I should notice them though no?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
All I know is KI looks about 10,000% better than that in person.
Just be thankful that you don't have to use your consoles on a PC monitor.

It's a double edged sword, because you don't notice the jaggies as much in the living room, but you don't notice the details as much either.

Just be thankful that you don't have to use your consoles on a PC monitor.

It's a double edged sword, because you don't notice the jaggies as much in the living room, but you don't notice the details as much either.

I've been thinking about switching a console over to my monitor for a test run just because the color reproduction is so much better. Plus given the smaller size there's obviously more detail, do you think the negatives outweigh the benefits? Also, do many games support full-range RGB?

so the excuse for the poor graphics of ki is now...its a free to play game? man...

i think it looks pretty great in motion. Not a revelation, but it isn't an awful looking fighting game.

i thins it looks bad in motion,i have the game..the iq is horrendous jaggies everywhere,only thing noticeable its the particle effects

So you think it's debatable, but came here to post "please don't debate this".

CoG

cbwaqYQ.png

Picture that image where the 5 or so darkest bands are all plain black. Crushed blacks destroy greyscale and shadow detail.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This isn't directly about Killer Instinct, it's about Microsoft messing up the color accuracy and adding unflattering visual noise on sub-1080p games, which is a good portion of the XBO's current library.

NBtoaster

Crushed blacks are intentionally part of the games art style. It's not an effect of the scaler.

The scaler is of course still working in the second screens, there is sharpening and its 1080p output. The games post processing is just disabled (FXAA, bloom, color grading).

ferom

Neo Member
Crushed blacks are intentionally part of the games art style. It's not an effect of the scaler.

The scaler is of course still working in the second screens, there is sharpening and its 1080p output. The games post processing is just disabled (FXAA, bloom, color grading).
This. I'm guessing the post processing is done on a separate display plane and it gets disabled when moving to the dashboard. Even with 720p output the game still has crushed blacks, bloom and fxaa. Scaler only applies sharpening.

It's pretty sad when console wars causes people to think KI looks "gross" or "disgusting". Especially so when many on this board enjoy any and all games, even having an irrational love for games like Hotline Miami or other indies that have a decidely 8/16-bit look to them.

Resolution isn't the whole story. Zooming in on minuscule parts of screenshots isn't the whole story. Having screenshots, period, don't tell the whole story. View one of the official direct-feed KI videos on Youtube, at max resolution and full screen...if you still think it's ugly, then there's no hope for you.

Mechazawa

If the scaler is in fact causing black crush, it seems like games, or at least Killer Instinct, are taking it into account on the final image output. The brush stroke behind character names in the character select, for instance. The walls in the background look completely washed out without it, too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's a decent looking game but it has a *LOT* of rough edges in person. The image quality is very poor, anisotropic filtering is sorely missed, and environment detail is very hit or miss. If image quality were improved significantly and AF were used it actually would look a LOT nicer. As it stands, it's simply too jaggy for its own good and ruins otherwise lovely models.

Resolution isn't the whole story. Zooming in on minuscule parts of screenshots isn't the whole story. Having screenshots, period, don't tell the whole story. View one of the official direct-feed KI videos on Youtube, at max resolution and full screen...if you still think it's ugly, then there's no hope for you.
In the case of KI, however, poor image quality does hurt. The game looks pretty decent in person, but the image quality is really quite awful. That does have an impact.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
So if I were to play the game in 720p, it will look brighter but with major jaggies?

Is there a way to turn off the scaler when in 1080p?

Top Bottom