• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

I think the initial funding goal is a bit high and that it launched too close to Mighty No. 9. (Especially since it was afterward.)

Getting a strong initial surge is really important for Kickstarters that are based on existing IPs. Lots of people will not donate if it doesn't look like it will meet funding right away, even if it's something they wouldn't think twice about had it already met it's goal. (Or was at least really close.)

I still think it will make it, but it's in a pretty perilous position right now.

It's not really perilous at all. They could completely phone it in at this point and would still hit the initial funding goal.

I'm not sure if the Mighty No. 9 kickstarter being at he same time is really a negative. I think it's actually likely to bring more people to kickstarter who might also fund this. Shantae just isn't nearly as well known as Megaman.

CoolS

I'm not worried about the game getting funded, just about the stretch goals.

I think I've said this a million times already, but they need to reveal and detail the fucking goals. Project Phoenix for example made it to a million just by dangling "World Map" in front of backers, just like Mighty no 9 will most likely reach the PS4 goal. No one cares about ??? and sillhouettes.

Agreed, they haven't really revealed anything new for a week or so now on that front.

mao2

Agreed, they haven't really revealed anything new for a week or so now on that front.
I don't think revealing all the stretch goals will have much effect if interest in the game is low in the first place. Maybe when we reach the initial funding goal, more will be shown.

Update #14 Game Location -- Mermaid World!

In the first chapter in Half-Genie Hero, the citizens of Freshwater Town call in Shantae to defeat a dangerous gang of Mermaids. Starting at her lighthouse, Shantae travels to a level with a crumbling Greco-Roman theme.

Arriving at Freshwater Town, Shantae scares off the offending fish-folk, but learns that there’s more here than meets the eye. To learn the source of the Mermaid Clan’s agitation, Shantae travels over the ancient waterfall ruins, through some dank caverns, down a slippery slope and into the lair of the Giga Mermaid. What she finds there will be truly… unexpected.

If you think you've guessed the Dance Transformation that Shantae will learn during this chapter, please share your theories in the Comments Section -- we're all ears! Today we’re looking at some concept artwork for this wet & wild mermaid-themed chapter of Shantae: Half-Genie Hero!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/600019

Nice backgrounds. Love the color scheme of the ruins.

image-327090-full.jpg

Quite nice indeed.

I think there are several reasons why the Kickstarter might be going really slow:

- Shantae is not a big popular series, there simply aren't that many fans.

- The Shantae games have been fragmented over a bunch of platforms and the release timing is always horrible. They released the original on GBC in 2002, they released the sequel on DSiWare (lol), and the 3DS eShop entry still isn't out. This makes it hard to really form an attachment to the series.

- Maybe the Shantae games just aren't that great and not everyone who played them are really interested in kickstarting another entry? I dunno, I just finished the first one the other day and the design is kinda crummy.

- The majority of casual action platformer fans looking for something classic to latch on to have Mighty No. 9 to keep them busy right now.

Maybe that annnnd the fact that they came out the gate with all these extended goals (ballzy move ... can either hurt or help the project from what I have seen). Maybe it's because of the low level rewards. Maybe it's the project's vid (it's Gameplay, that's great ... but there's no personal feel to it. And I don't think it even points out why they need KS and can't do this solo in the vid ... people like the vids because they're like the TL;DR version of the stuff they don't want to read). Maybe people aren't latching onto the art style ... it's very Chibi looking and pale. I would personally like something more proportioned and less "tiny body, big-ol-apple headed characters!".

There's many a factor in this problem.

ArjanN

Maybe that annnnd the fact that they came out the gate with all these extended goals (ballzy move ... can either hurt or help the project from what I have seen). Maybe it's because of the low level rewards. Maybe it's the project's vid (it's Gameplay, that's great ... but there's no personal feel to it. And I don't think it even points out why they need KS and can't do this solo in the vid ... people like the vids because they're like the TL;DR version of the stuff they don't want to read). Maybe people aren't latching onto the art style ... it's very Chibi looking and pale. I would personally like something more proportioned and less "tiny body, big-ol-apple headed characters!".

There's many a factor in this problem.

Well, I don't think there's actually a problem per se. I think it's actually doing quite well, it will make the inital goal pretty easily and probably at least one of the stretch goals.

Kickstarters like MN9 are the exception, not the rule.

They should definately keep pushing with updates and community interaction though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Well, I don't think there's actually a problem per se. I think it's actually doing quite well, it will make the inital goal pretty easily and probably at least one of the stretch goals.

Kickstarters like MN9 are the exception, not the rule.

They should definately keep pushing with updates and community interaction though.
Yeah, MN9 makes the Shantae KS look crappy. Even @yosp is retweeting MN9 tweets. WF would really benefit from someone like 8-4 promoting them.

800K : bonus chapter, Fire & Forget
1M : bonus chapter, A dish served cold
1.2M : bonus chapter, Clockwork night

When I think about those bonus chapters we will never get, I'm almost crying.
Names were awesome, especially the last one : I imagine a flying carpet level, in a One thousand and one nights palace floating in the night sky... yum

Odrion

Banned
I think the initial funding goal is a bit high and that it launched too close to Mighty No. 9. (Especially since it was afterward.)
I think more than anything else, it's problem is that it launched too close to the mediocre Ducktails Remaster and people don't have the save faith in Wayforward as they use to. Doesn't help that the game KINDA SORTA FROM A DISTANCE looks similar as well.

Five

Banned
Good on them. Still plenty of time to make funding. Though, it'll be a little sad to play the base game knowing about the other levels and content that could have been in it.

ArjanN

I think more than anything else, it's problem is that it launched too close to the mediocre Ducktails Remaster and people don't have the save faith in Wayforward as they use to. Doesn't help that the game KINDA SORTA FROM A DISTANCE looks similar as well.

Ducktales was actually pretty good IMO.

Guess you should have added that it's today's kickstarter update.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/600818

"Happy Monday! We're right on the edge of 300K, which means we're 75% of the way to funding this project! Thank you everyone for making this happen!

Today we’ve got something special for you: a video featuring Armando Soto (Head of WF Animation department) and Jesse Lopez (Lead Animator on Shantae Half-Genie Hero).

-Armando has tons of industry experience that spans games, TV, and feature films. Armando has worked at Sony Pictures (Eight Crazy Nights, Dilbert), WayForward (Ducktales, Spongebob Movie) and was Senior Games Producer at Disney Interactive (Jelly Car, Pirates of the Caribbean, Toy Story Mania).

-Jesse is the animation lead for the Shantae project (not to be confused with Mariel Cartwright, the lead animator for the “character” Shantae). Before working at WayForward, Jesse interned at Walt Disney Feature Animation. There he learned from studio legends during production of Princess and the Frog. He most recently worked on Ducktales: Remastered as Supervising Animator and character designer.

That’s enough talk… let’s watch the team make movie magic! In the immortal words of Leon Schlesinger, “Roll the garbage!” (Translated: “click on the video”) "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJAKOepW4Y

"NOTE: for those wondering about the obscure Leon Schlesinger reference, he's the producer who started up Warner Bros Cartoons studio during the Golden Age of animation. After hearing "Roll the garbage!" one time too many, animators retaliated by creating a obnoxious caricature of Leon, called Daffy Duck."

It's not really perilous at all. They could completely phone it in at this point and would still hit the initial funding goal.

I'm not sure if the Mighty No. 9 kickstarter being at he same time is really a negative. I think it's actually likely to bring more people to kickstarter who might also fund this. Shantae just isn't nearly as well known as Megaman.
Maybe perilous was the wrong word to use, tentative is probably better.

As I said, I think it'll reach it's initial goal, but as far as building momentum to get some stretch goals, that's not so certain.

CTLance

Dammit, who was it again that mentioned the Thong-looking part on Beck? Now it has infested Shantaes design as well. Underwear... Underwear everywhere. Auuuugh.

Five

Banned
Dammit, who was it again that mentioned the Thong-looking part on Beck? Now it has infested Shantaes design as well. Underwear... Underwear everywhere. Auuuugh.

I could be wrong, but I think it's more intentional with Shantae. Belly dancing dresses are typically designed to accentuate a woman's form.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The latest update says that Inti Creates is part of the development team. I backed this right away, but my hype is now full bore. Choo choo!

TheOGB

Banned
Here's a piece of art posted in the newest MN9 update I thought I'd share here also.
You forgot the most important part of that update

Inti Creates is helping develop both Shantae and the Pirates Curse and Half-Genie Hero

Let the money floooowwwwww!

And thus Yacht Club Games X Inti Creates X WayForward are the holy trinity!

Find it so interesting early on Yacht Club(ex-WayForward members) and Inti Creates/Inafune were chummy, and now THIS. Pure awesomeness!!!

aett

It seems EVEN WEIRDER now that they began the Shantae kickstarter so close to Mighty No. 9's!

But man, Inti working on both Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero? I was already looking forward to playing them, but now I'm downright excited.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You forgot the most important part of that update

Inti Creates is helping develop both Shantae and the Pirates Curse and Half-Genie Hero

Let the money floooowwwwww!
The Shantae post makes it seem like all of Inti Creates is helping develop this but the MN9 post says only Makoto Yabe (aka KOU) is a part of it.

one of our artists at Inti Creates, Makoto Yabe (aka KOU), is contributing some key illustrations and background art to this new Shantae

TheOGB

Banned
The Shantae post makes it seem like all of Inti Creates is helping develop this but the MN9 post says only Makoto Yabe (aka KOU) is a part of it.
I know, but just let people think otherwise until we hit some stretch goals! :V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom