• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Deus Ex: The Fall for iOS [Up: $7 price, Video Footage]

Most people are not so closed-minded that they will hate a smartphone Deus Ex without even having played it.

I played Mass Effect: Infiltrator. It wasn't even awful, in fact it was perfectly adequate. However I'm no Kaito when it comes to controlling phone games and I would have enjoyed it more with a controller.

I stated that the game will sell decently. There is no doubt about that, but I've played enough games on smartphones to realize that it never fully immerses me into the game, and this is going to be the same scenario here.

Have fun to whoever is getting it. I hope they enjoy it and I hope the reviews change my mind. For now, there's just so much coming and so much out there that this won't and isn't in my list of games to look forward to.

ash_ag

I stated that the game will sell decently. There is no doubt about that, but I've played enough games on smartphones to realize that it never fully immerses me into the game, and this is going to be the same scenario here.

Have fun to whoever is getting it. I hope they enjoy it and I hope the reviews change my mind. For now, there's just so much coming and so much out there that this won't and isn't in my list of games to look forward to.

Is the game made to be considered a "normal" Deus Ex, though? Both as far as its apparent relatively spin-offy story and its borrowed HR schemes are concerned, it seems to be as important an entry to the DX universe as the novels or the comics. I mean, Deus Ex is mainly a video game series, but its tie-ins and spin-offs can come on various forms -- this is just another spin-off that happens to be a mobile game (it is even said to be a sequel to the novel!), and it shouldn't be seen or judged the same as the main entries.

I don't expect it to be grand, but I'd be surprised to see a giant letdown when Eidos Montreal is involved.

Dr Dogg

Well this certainly got a lot of dislikes pretty quick.

One of the chaps in work said "Still it looks pretty sweet for a mobile game" to which I replied "Yeah because you're really going to be able to take it all in with you thumbs in the way" before waving mine about 2"s from his face.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
iOS has a big install base. presumably the cost of porting it is more than the money they'd expect to make off of it. companies don't tend to willingly leave money on the table
I don't see how this game would fail on psn or xbla if sold at 7$/€, they have even engine and assets already made!
Ios base may be bigger(but there's really no point in comparing the number of almost "essential" things like smartphones and futile things like consoles) but remember that core gamers are the most faithful.

Wait, you lost me. Are they not making a game?
Are they making deus ex: the fall for consoles too? No, this is what i'm saying.
If a console developer wants to make ios games it's free to develop them, but it should develop console versions too if it doesn't want the core gamers' hate like it's already happening for square enix.

Angry Fork

This would have been a lot better received if they also said they're working on a PC/console sequel too. I really hope they are as Human Revolution is in my top 3 favorite games this gen.

I do think this looks pretty cool and surprisingly well featured but I don't play phone games so I'm not really interested.

StiLt

lDCJnCx.png

It's like seeing a unicorn in real life.

You don't want to see one in real life... they are ornery and smell of mustard and shame.

So how many of the people making one word/one line replies here bothered to watch the video and read about the preview first? Are you guys going to keep going "hahahahaha" at every major iOS announcement as the industry invests more and more into smart devices? Seems like a matter of time before all the people laughing are instead crying when you realize the industry has left you behind. :)

Going to roll with this.

I would have preferred maybe a Vita game or XBLA/PSN release... That being said, iOS has more potential than people give it credit for and I'm actually looking forward to giving this a shot after seeing some of the video.

I think its about time all y'all suck it up and learn how to fps on touchscreens lol.

After killzone vita, i can't imagine many more handheld shooters on traditional handhelds :(

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't see how this game would fail on psn or xbla if sold at 7$/€, they have even engine and assets already made!
Ios base may be bigger(but there's really no point in comparing the number of almost "essential" things like smartphones and futile things like consoles) but remember that core gamers are the most faithful.

Are they making deus ex: the fall for consoles too? No, this is what i'm saying.
If a console developer wants to make ios games it's free to develop them, but it should develop console versions too if it doesn't want the core gamers' hate like it's already happening for square enix.

Yeah, they should just ignore the enormous iOS base because console players are "faithful." It's always wise to ignore enormous amounts of profit to appease the delicate feelings of fanboys who feel a sense of betrayal at companies developing for other platforms.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah, they should just ignore the enormous iOS base because console players are "faithful." It's always wise to ignore enormous amounts of profit to appease the delicate feelings of fanboys who feel a sense of betrayal at companies developing for other platforms.
Where did i say "ignore ios"? I'm saying that square enix should make deus ex:the fall(and the other ios games) both on ios and consoles. Is it clear now?

jtb

Banned
Where did i say "ignore ios"? I'm saying that square enix should make deus ex:the fall(and the other ios games) both on ios and consoles. Is it clear now?

well in an ideal world everything would be on every platform ever.

it's not an ideal world.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
too bad your hands procure those great graphics xD

Are your hands the shape of a catchers mitt? Even on an iPhone my thumbs only take up a small portion of the screen. Thumbs only bother me if they block the player controlled character/thingy.

Apocryphon

It's not quite that simple.

Success on iOS and Android is becoming increasingly challenging, if only due to the sheer amount of competition. Android games are also incredibly easy to pirate, hence the overwhelming amount of f2p titles.

Regardless, a more interesting observation is the relative success of specific genre types and interaction methods across touchscreen devices. For example, in the current top 100 paid iOS apps (of which the vast majority are games) there are only 2 games that could be described as shooters. GTA3 and Vice City. So no FPS games at all, just a pair of games from one of the most successful gaming franchises in history.

So while there's certainly an audience for more hardcore games on these platforms, the "enormous iOS base" is more concerned with games like Kingdom Rush and Plants vs Zombies. While the greatest part of that trend is due to the nature of the audience at large, I.e. causal/non-gamers that make up a large portion of the Clash of Clans player base, there's also an element of suitable interaction methods in that the most successful games on touchscreen devices are built around the input primary method.

The GTA iOS/Android ports are great games, but most reviews made mention of the relative unsuitability of touchscreen controls - and for good reason. The games were designed to be played with control pads that had analogue sticks. Sure, they also work very successfully with a keyboard and mouse due to the cross-compatibility of those peripherals, but and awful lot gets lost in the translation to buttonless touchscreen interfaces. FPS games do not work very well on touchscreen devices. You can play them, and some people are happy to, but the game type is definitely better suited to other platforms.

Deus Ex is primarily a first-person game. The guys in the video announcing the game explained that they have made it as simple to control as possible due to the primary input method being touchscreens. Part of that simplification is a lock on system. Does moving from complete free-aim control to a lock on system detract anything from the experience? I don't know. I'll have to play it before I decide, but already they have had to compromise the established control methodology that exists in the other games in the series. That said, maybe it works perfectly and can provide a similar enough experience for the change to be considered irrelevant.

The last factor is the actual target audience. I don't know whether this game is actually canonical but the narrative picks up after the events of a Deus Ex novel. It seems to me that they are targeting existing fans of the series. I'm sure you'll be able to just pick up this game without having played the previous titles or read the novel and be able to enjoy it on its own, but I suspect that the game would see a higher number of sales on PSN/XBLA or perhaps even Vita. I love the series so I'll take what I can get, but I don't think it's unfair to say that I would much rather experience the game on a different platform - one I consider better suited to the game type that doesn't require any sacrifices to fit.

numble

Success on iOS and Android is becoming increasingly challenging, if only due to the sheer amount of competition. Android games are also incredibly easy to pirate, hence the overwhelming amount of f2p titles.

Regardless, a more interesting observation is the relative success of specific genre types and interaction methods across touchscreen devices. For example, in the current top 100 paid iOS apps (of which the vast majority are games) there are only 2 games that could be described as shooters. GTA3 and Vice City. So no FPS games at all, just a pair of games from one of the most successful gaming franchises in history.

So while there's certainly an audience for more hardcore games on these platforms, the "enormous iOS base" is more concerned with games like Kingdom Rush and Plants vs Zombies. While the greatest part of that trend is due to the nature of the audience at large, I.e. causal/non-gamers that make up a large portion of the Clash of Clans player base, there's also an element of suitable interaction methods in that the most successful games on touchscreen devices are built around the input primary method.

The GTA iOS/Android ports are great games, but most reviews made mention of the relative unsuitability of touchscreen controls - and for good reason. The games were designed to be played with control pads that had analogue sticks. Sure, they also work very successfully with a keyboard and mouse due to the cross-compatibility of those peripherals, but and awful lot gets lost in the translation to buttonless touchscreen interfaces. FPS games do not work very well on touchscreen devices. You can play them, and some people are happy to, but the game type is definitely better suited to other platforms.

Deus Ex is primarily a first-person game. The guys in the video announcing the game explained that they have made it as simple to control as possible due to the primary input method being touchscreens. Part of that simplification is a lock on system. Does moving from complete free-aim control to a lock on system detract anything from the experience? I don't know. I'll have to play it before I decide, but already they have had to compromise the established control methodology that exists in the other games in the series. That said, maybe it works perfectly and can provide a similar enough experience for the change to be considered irrelevant.

The last factor is the actual target audience. I don't know whether this game is actually canonical but the narrative picks up after the events of a Deus Ex novel. It seems to me that they are targeting existing fans of the series. I'm sure you'll be able to just pick up this game without having played the previous titles or read the novel and be able to enjoy it on its own, but I suspect that the game would see a higher number of sales on PSN/XBLA or perhaps even Vita. I love the series so I'll take what I can get, but I don't think it's unfair to say that I would much rather experience the game on a different platform - one I consider better suited to the game type that doesn't require any sacrifices to fit.

You go through a lot of words without realizing that success doesn't require long legs. Bastion, the yearly Modern Combat and NOVA series, and Dead Space have all been on top of the paid app charts. More recently, Blitz Brigade has been very high on the free charts, even reaching #1 on the top grossing chart.

Infinity Blade made $30 million in a year, and Infinity Blade 2 made $5 million its first month, but they're nowhere to be seen on the current top charts.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

1) We're talking iOS, not Android - at least for the moment. I'll probably not speak about Android, as I know much less about it than I do iOS.

2) Two of the most popular game ports ever are in the top 10. Deus Ex is one of the most popular games ever and it's getting a port. NOVA has consistently been in the top 100 sellers and it's a FPS. I wholly disagree with your assessment on what the audience wants. Games like Baldur's Gate, Warhammer Quest, Ace Patrol, Lego Batman/Star Wars and Star Command show that full fledged games are very much in demand. Yes, freemium and micro games are the bulk of what's out there, but the same could be said for every platform.

3) I agree with the controls. That's easily the biggest question mark. The video they showed didn't help as the controls are clearly an issue at this stage in the game.

4) I don't think your math follows on how this would be more successful on XBLA/PSN. iOS is a growing platform, the others are decreasing at this particular moment, due to the lack of solid information on how accounts will be handled on the XBox One/PS4. That said, I would prefer a full-fledged Deus Ex on PC. What you and I prefer, however, doesn't change the fact that this title doesn't necessarily mean that's not happening (in fact, one would have to be pretty stupid to assume Deus Ex 4 isn't in some stage of development and it will not be a mobile only game).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
While like any sensible person I love iOS gaming, I do wish they'd think about tailoring the game to the control screen instead of slapping an FPS on there. Touch controls are not ideal for this kind of game. I would buy Deus Ex: The Fall, an isometric 3D turn-based ARPG in a second.

E3 preview from IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/deus-ex-the-fall-is-totally-legit

confirmed by Justin that this is made by N-Space (known mostly for those pretty decent call of duty ds games and that diablo bomba clone on 3ds).

- large dense hub worlds.
- 24 augments
- virtual controls aren't great.

suppose to be like 9 hrs to beat from other sources.

Seems like a pretty beast package for $7, if you can handle the controls.

ios future (and probably series future. If this doesn't sell, a sequel to the console game is probably less and less likely)

I don't know... after reading the IGN preview and watching the stage demo on Gamespot, I'm actually kind of looking forward to this. Should be a good way to spend some upcoming plane rides.

Top Bottom