• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' trailer #4

Wanna click so bad. Despite being a huge BR fan and anticipating this one strongly, the trailers for this haven't done too much for me so far I kinda want to see if this will change that.

Z3M0G

I'm not sure if that trailer did the movie any favors...

For those who want it, there will be a lot more action than expected.

Addi

Bailed out early in the trailer, this one seems to explain the entire plot, much more than the other trailers.

Why do they need a 4th trailer? Are they afraid of it bombing?

Window

Good trailer. That beat to the gunshots was something. Will look out for a Fassbender cameo when I watch the film.

Z3M0G

Why do they need a 4th trailer? Are they afraid of it bombing?

Yes. This trailer was totally an attempt to grab more interest.

I hate this whole "teaser trailer right before the trailer" thing studios are doing lately. So fucking stupid.

You might as well accept it as the norm. Don't blame the studios... blame Facebook.

646489f7663120091d2b34e4390e661e499d4a4b.gif

MedIC86

For those who want it, there will be a lot more action than expected.

You mean in the trailer or the movie? Because trailers lately seem to oversell the action scene's a lot. When you go to see the final movie all the action in a give or take 2hr movie was the stuff in the trailers.
On that note, i read an interesting article in Wired once about trailer making. That it was pretty difficult because they usually get a 'grab bag' of scene's while the final movie isnt complete or the full story is not known to the trailer maker. So they just cut some stuff they think is appropriate, or will generate interest. Which isnt necessary reflecting the final movie.

Window

Yes. This trailer was totally an attempt to grab more interest.

You might as well accept it as the norm. Don't blame the studios... blame Facebook.
What trailers are not an attempt to grab more interest?

This was also far from a teaser trailer.

IronRinn

Even. More. SPLOSIONS.

QUOTE=Z3M0G;246696106]You might as well accept it as the norm. Don't blame the studios... blame Facebook.

646489f7663120091d2b34e4390e661e499d4a4b.gif
[/QUOTE]Stupid Facebook.

I'm hyped because it's a Blade Runner sequel and because of the talent involved, but none of the trailers are especially great at hyping me.

Harrison surely can't believe his luck. What is it about him that makes filmakers believe they cannot move a franchise forward without his involvement?

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Why put a trailer of the trailer right before the trailer? It ruins it.

HariKari

Because they've done studies that show people are more interested if you hit them with a 'stinger' in front of the trailer. I think it's stupid and pandering to the type of person that would probably hate Bladerunner but I understand it.

edit: trailer is awful and gives away even more, don't watch it

AxeMan

Looks far too 'actiony.' Kinda like a generic action movie now. Doesn't have the same look and feel as BR, looks too clean

I was pretty excited up until seeing this.

Diabelli

I mean, the trailers could be misrepresentative of the actual film (you could probably cut a Blade Runner trailer similarly), but I am not digging this whole 'big bad constructing an army and we have to stop him' story it looks like they are going for.

neptunes

I hate the generic types of music they use for these trailers, I hope it's not indicative of the movie's actual soundtrack.

Does anyone know?

Allow me to be the guinea pig and let you all know that if you don't want to be spoiled, DEFINITELY don't watch this trailer. The previous ones were more vague, this has some definite plot points in it.

Because they use these trailers as YouTube ads, and if you don't put something at the beginning of the trailer to grab people's attentions in the first five seconds, they'll just skip the ad. For a long time before studios figured this out, you'd just get the MPAA green screen for five seconds as an ad and not a single glimpse of the movie.

Nightfall

Is it really that big a deal? It's for YouTube adds where people normally skip after 5 seconds.

For me it kinda is. What I'll say now is a bit exaggerated but it reflects my thoughts.

Those mini trailers in front of trailers are like spoilers to me. If I watch trailers it's a similar experience like watching complete movies. You get sucked in, if only for 2 or 3 minutes. And there are lots of trailers out there with a really great narrative structure or immense build up to certain pictures, characters or scenes, that it would be a shame to spoil it.
As an example, you can take the first trailer for Episode 7. Nobody knew anything about what Force Awakens would be about, so the shots with the desert, Finn standing up, looking shocked and the following shots of stormtroopers, Kylo Ren and his bad ass lightsaber were amazing!
Now, if there had been a mini trailer in front, it certainly would have shown quick glimpses of this trailers best surprises, like the lightsaber. And that would have ruined the experience, at least for me.

Or to describe it a bit differently, it would be like, if at the beginning of a new episode of Game of Thrones (or really any show) they'd show some quick cuts and flashes of what you have to expect in the next hour.
Wouldn't that be weird, unnecessary and just annoying? For me, yes.

I think a lot of folks have similar feelings and I sure hope could get my feelings towards mini trailers across :)

The more I see from this film, the less I like.

And that blue/orange poster is ass.

Blade Runner has one of the most beautiful movie posters ever. I don't get it how they can do such a half arsed job on 2049. It's mind boggling.

I don't like these posters. They're like 2 or 3 steps too much in the too much direction.

This trailer is straight up selling an action movie. And if they want 2017 audiences to react like 1982 audiences did when they thought they were getting an action movie and got Blade Runner instead, they're doing a great job at replicating that setup.

Now we wait for the disappointment, I guess.

(if history repeats itself)

(which means about 3 or 4 years after that everyone begins to slowly realize it's a fucking masterpiece)

(if)

I don't like these posters. They're like 2 or 3 steps too much in the too much direction.

This trailer is straight up selling an action movie. And if they want 2017 audiences to react like 1982 audiences did when they thought they were getting an action movie and got Blade Runner instead, they're doing a great job at replicating that setup.

Now we wait for the disappointment, I guess.

(if history repeats itself)

(which means about 3 or 4 years after that everyone begins to slowly realize it's a fucking masterpiece)

(if)

I thought it took longer than that for audiences to appreciate Blade Runner? I might be thinking about Legend though...

Mr. F

Banned
Still looking too clean, like it's ignoring what made the aesthetics in the first so memorable. Needs way more grit

Top Bottom