• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology first trailer

RPGam3r

I was excited but then I saw the trailer and the system they're releasing it on and sadly I'll pass. Still got the original so mot all is lost, just my sale on a "new" one.

Philippo

"I will finish zipping up my shoes when you zip up my wounded emotions"

It will never get old.

And sorry, in both cases the raised doubts about these redesigns have a ground. Radiant Historia "generic animu" redesigns are absolutly awful.

Oh i wasn't complaining but agreeing, i fucking hate the new art.

Asharakk

I wish they would've done more with the graphics, I can barely see any difference to the DS version.... except for the slightly worse art.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
If this artstyle is the price to pay for more Radiant Historia, I'm 110% fine with it.

Garlador

If this artstyle is the price to pay for more Radiant Historia, I'm 110% fine with it.

That's sort of how I'm approaching it. This may not be a game for me, but Radiant Historia is good enough that I'm still happy it'll be reintroduced to a whole new audience.

TheMoon

I hope a new generation enjoys the game, but I sadly don't see the appeal as somebody who owns the original.

I suppose it was too much to hope for a 3D facelift. Not that the original 2D sprite work was bad, but if I want the original, I'll just slot it into my 3DS.

The appeal isn't graphics, it's the new storyline.

Garlador

Exactly what I was thinking.

This "remake" is nothing more than the original game with new portraits and cutscenes.

While I'm disappointed in the lack of visual upgrades and the art switch, we don't know how extensive the new third scenario is. There could be a lot more added; we don't know yet.

I'd still prefer the old art and some high-res sprite work, but content is still king.

OVDRobo

Not going to beat around the bush. The art-style is absolute fucking trash compared to the original and completely erases any interest I had in the remake whether or not it's localised.

I really enjoyed the original even with all the blemishes of being low budget and a large part of that was due to the aesthetic. It seems as though they've taken any holes left by the original being limited by a lack of money and filled them with 110% ANIME. Probably a last desperate attempt at making the game relevant by appealing to the otaku audience.

It's incredibly disappointing to see.

sirronoh

Not going to beat around the bush. The art-style is absolute fucking trash compared to the original and completely erases any interest I had in the remake whether or not it's localised.

I really enjoyed the original even with all the blemishes of being low budget and a large part of that was due to the aesthetic. It seems as though they've taken any holes left by the original being limited by a lack of money and filled them with 110% ANIME. Probably a last desperate attempt at making the game relevant by appealing to the otaku audience.

It's incredibly disappointing to see.

Well said. I find myself struggling with whether or not to even support this game in a year where we're getting awesome games damn near every week.

Tizoc

"same"

C7jkH_DVAAA016n.jpg

Oh my god.
Stranger of Sword City let you choose between animu and original style, hope this one does as well.

Picked up the DS version a couple of years ago but haven't played it yet. If this is the same thing with worse art, guess I'll pass. New character might be cool, though...I'm a sucker for witch characters, so that might be enough to sell me if the reviews are good and the old school character portrait DLC is free.

"Perfect Edition", eh? Honestly, aside from one new short scenario and redrawn art, what is so new about this edition? The game looks the exact same but with worse portrait art. Why would I want this when the DS version works on 3DS anyway and at a cheaper price point?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I like the new hair but not the new moe face.

Shading is different too. Too "bright?"

Any info on whether they're making any changes to the game, or is it basically just the same game with new character portraits and some cutscenes?

I really liked the original, but I fell off it halfway through because the combat got way to repetitive. Every area had like 3 variations of enemies you could encounter, and you basically just used the same strategy in every battle.

I guess even if they don't make any adjustments to the combat, I'd be fine if they just lowered the encounter rates from the original and upped EXP/Gold rewarded per battle. It was really the frequency of doing the same fight over and over again that was most annoying.

jackdoe

With the in game graphics looking just like the DS version, and with the terrible change in the 2D portraits, I may have to give this a pass.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Oh my god.
Stranger of Sword City let you choose between animu and original style, hope this one does as well.

Honestly her eyes looked very dead in the original art in that comparison. I honestly prefer the new art for that particular case, although it does look more like generic anime art.

TheMoon

Exactly what I was thinking.

This "remake" is nothing more than the original game with new portraits and cutscenes.

And a whole extra story arc ... which is kind of the most important thing of actual meat. I don't get why we're sweeping this under the rug because the new character portraits are different than before.

How is it that we all "love" the original game here but the actual new "game" part is ignored in favor of "let's bash the art style change of character portraits!" ... this is beyond me.

The Dude

tell me what benefit Atlus gets from putting a game like this on the switch. it makes no sense. the user base is still on the 3DS.

I don't give a fuck what makes sense lol I want the game on switch as well. Doesn't mean it can't hit 3ds and switch.

Cleve

I'm down for some of these older games getting more love, but I just don't understand the point of remastering games that aren't that old and can be played on the same platform as the remasters are on. Just do another print or add them to the eshop.

The new artstyle is the best that ever happenend to the game. Too bad they didn't hire Sawanno to remix the OST aswell.

Great, now I have to clean up all this vomit.

Dot-N-Run

I was hoping that with the new artstyle, I would finally understand what Marco is supposed to be.

I still don't have a clue.

The new art is just.. why. I liked the old at better for 6/7 Party members. Marco looks better now, only so his (Game Story Spoiler)
"Oops I managed to solo everyone in the party despite being the worst fucking character" ending Comes more out of nowhere

While I'm disappointed in the lack of visual upgrades and the art switch, we don't know how extensive the new third scenario is. There could be a lot more added; we don't know yet.

I'd still prefer the old art and some high-res sprite work, but content is still king.
This is Atlus. They don't give a shit about remaking DS Games when they don't have a new engine. Here's a list of the lies they told in previous DS-Game remakes:

Devil Survivor Overclocked- Every Route has an 8th Day, when in reality only 3 routes have 8th Days(and one is split into two). There's no 8th day for Gin/Asturo's route, even though they really, really had to stretch to make any beyond Yuzu's make sense.

Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker- Literally sold on "Oh, there's a second story just as long as the first" that was maybe half as long in actuality.

I'm not getting my hopes up that this will be anything beyond a Cash-grab port, but I'm still probably going to buy it because Radiant Historia.

Top Bottom