• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology first trailer

Wait what does the new Viola looks like?
VMpL3uW.png
Like so.

RM8

Who needs a cool, unique art style when you can be shitty and generic? This now looks like some wallet grabbing menu based RPG for phones, lol.

Garlador

Who needs a cool, unique art style when you can be shitty and generic? This now looks like some wallet grabbing menu based RPG for phones, lol.

You know what? If the game didn't sell well before, and this is what it takes for anime fans in both America and Japan to snatch it up, I'm okay with that.

... I just wish they weren't holding the old art style ransom.

The Dude

Just comes a point in life where sure they redesigned some game characters, but I mean...hardly anything to lose sleep over

Ah, so turns out it's the same except now it's anime garbage too.

Yeah, pass.
Pretty much, and I'm a big fan of this game.

The first game had such an unique feel and tone to it (sort of melancholic and dramatic) that went to the shitter with these changes. Fuck the new scenario; I don't even know what the point of this port is if they're going to take an unique game and pander it to the anime fans so late in the 3DS life cycle.

TimeSage

Man i really love RH but this new art style is genric as fuck. Kinda remind me why i hate anime.

Iam skipping this Unless they include the original in the english version

As someone who knows basically nothing about Radiant Historia (but has an unopened DS copy waiting to be played one day), the trailer makes me think this is a Tales game.

I'm guessing this is grossly misrepresentative of what the actual story and characters will be like.

Didn't the original sell pretty bad? I mean, even if they were secretly preferring the old artstyle maybe they're trying something different in the hope that it will sell better this time around.

Effect

Love this game on the DS (still have my copy) and wondering if this will get localized. The bulk of the translation is there. I would be willing to rebuy this to get an updated version.

Osukaa

Lol wow so much hate on the new style. I never played the first one but I'll buy the new one. I like the art style on them both but either way I'm fine with both styles.

GAF really hates Anime

Lol wow so much hate on the new style. I never played the first one but I'll buy the new one. I like the art style on them both but either way I'm fine with both styles.

GAF really hates Anime

Depends on the Artstyle. The blacks of the old style really gave it some unique flavor and the new art feels a little too bubblegum. Not a fan to be honest.

As for the spoiler, I have yet to see anyone really complain about the art in FE: Echoes for example so it depends on the art on display.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
This isn't a remake, more like a port with new waifus and voice over. What a waste, this game had enjoyable story with an adult main character.

Is the entire game voiced at lease?

Edit: I just realize they made everyone look 10 years younger.

ekurisona

6998yen for digital and retail, 10584yen for the "Perfect Edition" LE. Same director and composer. New character designer is Masaki Hirooka (Suikoden Tierkreis).

- Selectable Difficulty Settings
- Voice acting
- Brand new graphics
- Beautiful visuals for the event scenes
- Animated opening video by A-1 Pictures

- There is a new Sub-History scenario route to go with the Normal and Alternative Histories. The new character plays an important role there.

- There are two game modes - Perfect Mode and Append Mode. In Perfect Mode, all 3 scenarios are mixed together from the start. In Append Mode, you have only have the regular and alternative histories available initially, and you unlock the sub-history after completing the game once.

- Game is 95% complete.
/

I guess if I ever get around to playing this, I'll have to grab an original copy. What always caught my eye about Radiant Historia was the great character designs and linework on the old art. Elegant, evocative artwork that tells a story with a one drawing. The new art style is generic, stylized kawaii designs typical of modern anime. Whoever signed off on this at Atlus should be ashamed.

Err, hmmm. I was excited for this but after watching the video. That new portrait art seems a little...pandering to an audience that isn't me. I think I'm happy sticking with my original copy.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Good. I always thought her art was quite ugly.

And that changes because of the character portrait art how?

It takes away from the tone. Making it generic Moe art to apeal to people who want to infantilize everything and apeal to questionable fetishes takes something away from the game, artistically speaking.

NeonZ

Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker- Literally sold on "Oh, there's a second story just as long as the first" that was maybe half as long in actuality.

I'm not getting my hopes up that this will be anything beyond a Cash-grab port, but I'm still probably going to buy it because Radiant Historia.
Half of a game worth of content is still a lot. What makes these ports feel lazy is the lack of engine/overall graphical updates, not the gameplay and story additions.

BaconHat

tell me what benefit Atlus gets from putting a game like this on the switch. it makes no sense. the user base is still on the 3DS.

Since we are near the end of the 3DS lifespan, it could maybe increase the chances of this being localized and sold internationally?

Paltheos

The redesigns are really bad :(

I know. They're way too clean! :(

Allot of people fairly don't like Eruca's total redesign but me, personally, I can't get behind Stocke the most. Stocke is not a pretty boy goddammit. He looks like sweeping, beautiful, generic JRPG protagonist type 2B, not a fucking badass superspy.

I know. They're way too clean! :(

Allot of people fairly don't like Eruca's total redesign but me, personally, I can't get behind Stocke the most. Stocke is not a pretty boy goddammit. He looks like sweeping, beautiful, generic JRPG protagonist type 2B, not a fucking badass superspy.

Agreed, although Eruca is still pretty bad.

Stocke's old design exuded a professional calm, his new one has none of that earned confidence.

daffy

Banned
I was under the impression that the chibi art was mandatory? Where do they fit within the gameplay experience?

Also I'll be buying this if localized since the DS version isn't readily available. Seems like supporting this is our only chance at getting a sequel

BTA

Mhm... if (hopefully when?) it comes out here, I'm still gonna recommend this to friends who haven't played the original version, but hopefully that old art DLC is easy to get. It's a shame because the new art isn't even that bad (and I think dismissing it as "anime" is kiiinda misguided, particularly as even Eruca's new look isn't very moe or anything, and the same goes for Aht) but it's definitely inferior to the original.

Sorta weird how both this and DSJ have redone art for... the sake of one new character? To appeal to newcomers? It's just such an unnecessary decision.

Top Bottom