• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Tookay

Perfect response.

The overwhelmingly positive impressions from here and my friends are making the wait for this harder (I can't play it until Friday). I was so ready to write this off after E3 last year and everything up until the last couple weeks or so seemed to confirm that this was just a clusterfuck that didn't have any idea what it was doing.

I'm sorry I doubted you, Sakurai. ;____;

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Really loving the game. It's a fantastic title and has a ton of content. I wish the ground combat (control-wise) was better, but you can't win them all. Still, for $20, I got my money's worth. I tried a multiplayer match earlier and didn't understand what the fuck was going on or what I was supposed to be doing. It's so bizarre.

I highly recommend pushing through the game at 2.0 just to beat it. You unlock at least one new weapon type for every chapter you finish, probably more. Then at the end you can go back at higher intensities and you'll be earning badass weapons instead of first blades and EZ cannons. And you'll be able to fuse a lot more weapons together too.

Jintor

Really loving the game. It's a fantastic title and has a ton of content. I wish the ground combat (control-wise) was better, but you can't win them all. Still, for $20, I got my money's worth. I tried a multiplayer match earlier and didn't understand what the fuck was going on or what I was supposed to be doing. It's so bizarre.

kill dudes, win loot

I highly recommend playing everything at 5.0 difficulty or higher, yo

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Serious question - do you think the English VO is good?
I've beaten the Japanese version and loved dialogues and voice actors, but after watching the Medusa trailer and GT review I really don't know... The English version seems much worse. Is it just me?

I thought that having the most points in MP in a few matches in a row, plus clearing the whole game and boss rush mode (on Easy) plus having a badass weapon made me good enough for 9.0.
Lol, no. Got crushed during the first half of the flying segment of the first chapter, despite beating it on 6 earlier.

Jintor

English version is amazing. Perfectly suited. It's very Saturday Morning Cartoon but it's perfectly matched for how goofy the game gets (and how serious as well)

Sinthetic

I've beaten the Japanese version and loved dialogues and voice actors, but after watching the Medusa trailer and GT review I really don't know... The English version seems much worse. Is it just me?

I thought that having the most points in MP in a few matches in a row, plus clearing the whole game and boss rush mode (on Easy) plus having a badass weapon made me good enough for 9.0.
Lol, no. Got crushed during the first half of the flying segment of the first chapter, despite beating it on 6 earlier.

On this one occasion, I'd say I can't imagine anything being better than the English voices. I usually love Japanese spoken games, but I don't see how it can be better than the incredible English in this one.

Got this the other day.

IMAG0034.jpg

My favourite weapon is just that one, but with less stars but greater value, as the stats that it has are pretty amazing.
If there was I a way to get your number of stars with the stats I have in mine it would be glorious.

Sakurai wrote it? Good on him, it's not flip out crazy or anything but it has a fun character dynamic on par with some of the better character driven games.

What makes it amusing is didn't they got out of their way to get that hack Nojima to write something for Smash Bros Wii? That must have been a nice waste of cash.

Yep, I dont know what they were thinking. Nojima was an idiot, from the very start you notice that he didnt know shit from the Nintendo games and its characters and worlds (lol at the bus ride to the stadium that Sakurai told him to scrap). Thats the problem, Sakurai told him to make it a little more epic, and instead of doing what Sakurai has done with the story and characters of Kid Icarus, he did a Final Fantasy shitty story and ending.
Im pretty sure that the best jokes some of the custcenes had (peach and sheik having tea for example) were done by Sakurai and not by Nojima.
As I said many times in the SSBB threads, Nojima was a hack and my grandmother would have made an easier and better Nintendo story than him.

The thing is, people were saying that as subspace emissary was shit it was better to dont have any kind of story driven segment in SSB4. Seeing Sakurai's work in KI I hope its still there and Sakurai is the one that writes the story.

Yes, I really like the English VO. I thought Pit's voice was going to be horrible and he does a fantastic job in the game.
BUT I would also had prefered to have an option (having english as the language in all versions) for a dub in european languages. Its too hard to follow the story some times because of the crazy action going (totally impossible to read the subs) and Im pretty sure is impossible to people that dont understand english to follow the story and the jokes. Hearing also the great work Nintendo of Spain did with the last dubs (yeah, I know, the other countries did shitty dubs) I would totally had love hearing it also, with a good cartoony spanish dub, just as Star Fox had (and if you have the luck of reading the subs, the spanish translation is really wacky with jokes done only for spain).

I can't stop playing this game, it is just too good! I've really gotten into the weapon fusing lately and I think I'm starting to develop some kind of process. Basically what I do is find a fairly valuable weapon that I own and don't want to use, pick a weapon type that I would like to end up with, and use the chart to figure out what I need to fuse it with to get what I want. Of course this doesn't always work out so a lot of times I end up fusing a weapon or two just to get what I need to do the original fuse that I'm after. It's an endless spiral of greatness.

The weapon guide posted in this thread is really great but I wanted something that was slightly easier to look out than the original chart so I reformatted it like this:

Also, there are some spoilers in the weapon names so be careful when you're looking at this.

http://i.imgur.com/SbRM8.png

I don't know if anyone will find this useful but it's been a great help to me so far.

Also, I have to admit that I felt like Chapter
dragged on for far too long. That's really my only complaint with the game right now, I think some of the land sections should be shortened up a bit.

Tenck

Man the upped intensity is so crazy. At times it feels cheap, but when you conquer it, you feel like you accomplished something amazing!!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
My current MP/SP weapon:
ApEqdbHCAAANp-m.jpg

+2 paralyze
+2 homing
+1 movement speed
+1 combo shots
+1 auto-dodge
-1 dash shot

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Where is this free roaming ground mission on Sin & Punishment? I think only mouse can match the speed of this mayhem. Dual analog sticks will definitely sacrifice this. You can't do 180 turn in mere instant with dual analog. I have that quickturn mapped to my down on dpad in KI even.
Honestly, the free roaming just doesn't feel that good and the interface presented here really can't keep up either. I definitely think the on foot sections would play better with sticks or the Wii-mote even. I wouldn't want them to emulate the control scheme here, rather, go for something different. The on-foot would play better as a more traditional action platformer, I think.

PK Gaming

Hahaha I fucking knew it was Nika Futterman voicing Pandora. All I could think about during that dialogue was "I know that sexy voice...Velvet Velour from Bloodlines?", and bam.

Now I feel less guilty about rubbing one out.

Hahahahaha, you made me burst out laughing in class and everybody is giving me a cold stare lmao.

Loved your review too.

Nibel

Pushed out my review this morning. It's here, if anybody wants to read.

Not that suprising, but: you can write really, really good; seriously.
If I wasn't already convinced by all these positive posts in here that this game is brilliant, then this would have been the final kick in the butt for me.

Right now I'm playing Peace Walker on my Vita, and this has tons of content. Then I still have to finish Xenoblade, The Last Story and May is around the corner with Diablo 3.

Too much content-filled games - but no reason to say no to Kid Icarus.

Neiteio

Man, the music in the flight portion of
Chapter 14
is utterly fantastic. Has anyone unlocked it in the Music Gallery? If so, check your achievement wall, please, and tell me what the requirement was for it! (To refresh your memory, it's the chapter where
Phosphora and Thanatos are duking it out in the skies

Pushed out my review this morning. It's here, if anybody wants to read.
Great review, I think you hit all of the important points very well.

Regarding how difficult it is to use powers while playing, did you know you can use the d-pad to control them? I couldn't tell if you were doing it this way or through the touch screen by reading your review (maybe you tried both?). Anyway, if you didn't know, you can use right and left to cycle through the powers and down to use the selected one. I was in the same boat as you for the first few hours, struggling to cycle through my powers on the touch screen and find any use for them during the stages, but once I started using the d-pad things really began to click. It still isn't a perfect solution since you have to take your thumb off of the movement stick but it's significantly easier than using the touch screen.

Jintor

Man, the music in the flight portion of
Chapter 14
is utterly fantastic. Has anyone unlocked it in the Music Gallery? If so, check your achievement wall, please, and tell me what the requirement was for it! (To refresh your memory, it's the chapter where
Phosphora and Thanatos are duking it out in the skies

Oh man, that shit was amazing. Not just the music but what was going on in the background. Really conveyed the feeling of being a running part of a larger battle.

Neiteio

The best Nintendo villain ever.
Wholeheartedly agreed. I never thought he could give the Disney equivalent a run for its money (see
Hades
in the Disney movie
Hercules
), but somehow, he did.
"Pretty Palu-TE-na, oh pretty Palu-TE-na!"

Oh, and you gotta love his wish to
revive the girl's parents he killed in a chariot accident when he was distracted doing his hair: "We'll bring them back and make them RICH, like rolling-in-the-dough RICH. Then we'll slap a crown on 'em and everyone will live happily ever after."

I think I just spied an OoT reference in the fairy orbitars idol description
Tired of pixies asking you to listen?

Grah, I need more arms and claws, I need to experiment and find which particular flavour of each to go with, as solid as my electroshock arm and hedgehog claws are they don't cut the mustard for higher intensities.

Jintor

That reminds me: all the bottom screen gags with either 8-bit visuals or custom art are GOLD. ABSOLUTE GOLD.

BEAM CLAWS are god-tier singleplayer I reckon. Dat rapid fire.

Does anyone use cannons? I've never even taken one into an actual stage (or MP match) because of how worthless they feel when I'm just trying them out.

Slow movement is just something I can't deal with in this game.

Does anyone use cannons? I've never even taken one into an actual stage (or MP match) because of how worthless they feel when I'm just trying them out.

I've been using the Twinbellows cannon quite a bit in single player, mine has pretty good range on it, but I enjoy arcing shots anyway. Though going from claws to cannon is like slow motion.

I'm using a cannon at the moment. But I'm scratching the surface of the game so far and taking my sweet time. I don't have that many weapons yet.

Jintor

Surprisingly I actually liked using Clubs, although getting rid of rapid fire was a huge pain in flight mode. Ability to deflect projectiles though is a huge plus. Slow movement... less so.

Neiteio

Wait, who did Troy Baker play? I'm guessing from the comments here he was the voice of
Pyrrhus
and
Arlon the Serene?

Top Bottom