• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
do we double as NZ-gaf? any recommendations for decent wellington area suburbs with access to, you know, train lines, etc?

For all of our teeth gnashing over PS+ holding multiplayer hostage, I have to say that the 'free' games for the last two months have been pretty damn good:

Until Dawn
Telltale Games' Game of Thrones (full season)
Just Cause 3
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry

Hopefully that quality level is maintained
probably not
Also Downwell.

Just Cause 3 is my favourite running round blowing shit up game of this gen.

I played on a base PS4 and never really saw how everyone else was calling it unplayable (N64 owner, obvi). And it has David Tennant doing a voice.

I have bought Splatoon 2. I wasn't going to, then was going to, then wasn't going to, and have now gone.

Hi all, been a while since I posted ITT...

So bummer news is I got made redundant today! Fortunately I have a payout that'll see me good for up to 5 months plus the wife is working so there isn't any immediate pressure on me, but if anyone in BrisGaf knows of any good IT recruiters, or knows of any 1st/2nd line support jobs going (contract or permanent, don't mind atm) please feel free to PM me :)

Ah bummer. Hope you get back on your feet soon!

Just Cause 3 is my favourite running round blowing shit up game of this gen.

I played on a base PS4 and never really saw how everyone else was calling it unplayable (N64 owner, obvi). And it has David Tennant doing a voice.

I have bought Splatoon 2. I wasn't going to, then was going to, then wasn't going to, and have now gone.
If you own a Switch you need to own Splatoon. Same with upcoming Mario.

Shaneus

So bummer news is I got made redundant today! Fortunately I have a payout that'll see me good for up to 5 months plus the wife is working so there isn't any immediate pressure on me, but if anyone in BrisGaf knows of any good IT recruiters, or knows of any 1st/2nd line support jobs going (contract or permanent, don't mind atm) please feel free to PM me :)
Ah man, same here! Happened a week or two ago, but I'm kind of in the same boat... received a payout that actually covers me for almost two years of wages :) Still on the lookout for a new job (obvs) in Melbourne/Geelong, but I'm glad there's a new chapter in my life that's just beginning. Even if the last chapter finished outside of my control :/

After flip flopping for months over whether or not to buy a TV this year, I nabbed an X9000E from JB today. They're RRPing for 2176, down from the ridiculous initial price of 2999.

2079 buckeroos (in store discount). If you go to HN it's 2175 + 12 bottles of wine, for those that are into that sort of thing.

After flip flopping for months over whether or not to buy a TV this year, I nabbed an X9000E from JB today. They're RRPing for 2176, down from the ridiculous initial price of 2999.

2079 buckeroos (in store discount). If you go to HN it's 2175 + 12 bottles of wine, for those that are into that sort of thing.
I'm starting to think about grabbing a 4K HDR TV to supplement my projector. I've heard good things about the LG OLEDs, but also heard that they might not age well due to the different rates st which the various OLEDs break down.

What drew you to the Sony X9000E? I'll be interested to hear how it performs.

Ah man, same here! Happened a week or two ago, but I'm kind of in the same boat... received a payout that actually covers me for almost two years of wages :) Still on the lookout for a new job (obvs) in Melbourne/Geelong, but I'm glad there's a new chapter in my life that's just beginning. Even if the last chapter finished outside of my control :/

I'm sorry to hear that. Even from you, Shaneus. Been there, done that. Always sucks. I hope you both end up somewhere better quickly. Even you, Shaneus.

Thinking of quitting my current job without having another one lined up. It's killing me. Figuratively speaking... with an actual hint of literally, unfortunately.

What drew you to the Sony X9000E? I'll be interested to hear how it performs.

Best balance of price:perf on 2017 models, now that the price has come down to a reasonable level. There's a great value TCL this year but nobody knows if it will come to Australia, so until then, this one is the "mid-high end value" champion. In USA/Europe the X900E was half the price of the OLED C7/B7. In Australia it was 85% of the price. An insane markup on the X900E. Now that it can be had for ~2100, it's a much, much better deal.

In particular, it's bright (and can sustain that peak brightness for a long time), HDR capable, 4k, good image processing, good input lag (not the best but good), and it can be made to do 1080p 120hz if you want to use it as a 1080p PC monitor. I would have got an LG C7 if not for the price difference.

Valve informed devs earlier in the year that it will soon begin collecting sales tax in a bunch of countries by way of taking the percentage out of the sale price rather than applying a blanket increase across the store. That was due to kick in on the AU store this month but may have been postponed until the legal tiff with the ACCC has reached its final conclusion.

Just noticed steam have been charging GST, calling it VAT, at 10% since July 1 without increasing the price. I wonder who is taking the hit? Steam or devs or a combo of both.

HDR is so good. Grab a Pro and Horizon off a friend Mutes, HDR is perfect in it.

Sold my regular PS4 near the start of the year, don't know anyone who has a pro locally. Not likely to grab one this year. Maybe end of next year when there's some more things I want to put time into that I can't get on PC.

Using my PC for HDR is gonna be a mess I can already tell. One X is a "maybe" because I'll need a UHD BR player at some point, but I might even just go for the S...

Sold my regular PS4 near the start of the year, don't know anyone who has a pro locally. Not likely to grab one this year. Maybe end of next year when there's some more things I want to put time into that I can't get on PC.

Using my PC for HDR is gonna be a mess I can already tell. One X is a "maybe" because I'll need a UHD BR player at some point, but I might even just go for the S...

S has HDR as well, depends what prices are like for the XBOX IMO since you can get an S around $200 now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just noticed steam have been charging GST, calling it VAT, at 10% since July 1 without increasing the price. I wonder who is taking the hit? Steam or devs or a combo of both.

Publishers. The onus is on them to submit adjusted pricing.

Soar

Newbie from Melbourne here. Pretty happy to see we have a little hut in this corner of the forums. Mostly gamed on the PC and 3DS until I discovered Gaf. Boy what a mistake, a PS4Pro and a 4K monitor later I'm still splurging on games and silly merch.

Not sure I should complain though, as my previous favorite game of all time Planescape: Torment has now been dethroned by Nier:Automata, went through fantastic journeys with Persona 5 + Yakuza 0 and now getting my rear end savaged by Nioh.

So thank you all :)

Newbie from Melbourne here. Pretty happy to see we have a little hut in this corner of the forums. Mostly gamed on the PC and 3DS until I discovered Gaf. Boy what a mistake, a PS4Pro and a 4K monitor later I'm still splurging on games and silly merch.

Not sure I should complain though, as my previous favorite game of all time Planescape: Torment has now been dethroned by Nier:Automata, went through fantastic journeys with Persona 5 + Yakuza 0 and now getting my rear end savaged by Nioh.

So thank you all :)

Welcome! What a year for gaming so far indeed. Did you grab Horizon Zero Dawn too? Best looking game on console by far.

Soar

Welcome! What a year for gaming so far indeed. Did you grab Horizon Zero Dawn too? Best looking game on console by far.

Thank you! Yes I did, but unfortunately I have an issue with FOV in games where I get dizzy if the camera field is too narrow. In HZD for instance it is too near Aloy so I had to trade it away after about 10 or so hours. This issue is also why I could not play most FPS on the PS. Still one of the most beautiful games I've played though.

Edit: Thank you Jintor! You have a very interesting err title.

Rizzi

Woo, I finally beat Breath of the Wild. Can Mario Odyssey be out already? Need something single player to play on this thing..

MoonGred

I'm so conflicted on Splatoon 2, a part of me really enjoys the game, but I can only play it in short bursts before repetiton sets in hard.

Rizzi

I feel like I like Splatoon a lot less than most people. The game is fine, but has so many dumb decisions in and around it.

does anyone know at what point the switch detects a LAN adapter and provides the MAC address? i've got the MAC address, but it's not finding anything.
The switch receives the MAC address, it doesn't provide it. The MAC address is a unique hardware address for your network interface (think of it like a serial number for your network interface). Sorry if you already know this stuff and just worded your post awkwardly.

Is your issue that DHCP isn't working, or that you can't determine your network interface's MAC address (in order to do static assignment/DMZ/etc.)?

Recreat3

Woo, I finally beat Breath of the Wild. Can Mario Odyssey be out already? Need something single player to play on this thing..

I still need to finish botw. I love the game but for some reason i just dont "the urge" to get back into it. I thinl because its such a huge game it becomes a little overwhelming and i find i only get an hour or two spare for gaming every few days so its hard to really invest myself in it. I will finish before mario comes out.

Rizzi

I still need to finish botw. I love the game but for some reason i just dont "the urge" to get back into it. I thinl because its such a huge game it becomes a little overwhelming and i find i only get an hour or two spare for gaming every few days so its hard to really invest myself in it. I will finish before mario comes out.

At a certain point I pretty much decided it was time to end and I just knocked all the remaining story stuff out in a couple of hours.

kyser73

It's only upside for me. I've been procrastinating about switching jobs for nearly a year, so this has given me the kick I needed.

My big decision this week is whether or not to buy a Switch.

Quasar

I'll have to get Zelda one day. I've put it off as I'm still digging my way through HZD.

Soar

Yep, you're in the right place.

(Also since you mention Planescape, you can stay. I'll get around to redeeming my Torment Kickstarter key some day)

Thank goodness, seriously though I'm quite happy with the positive responses to PS:T. Unfortunately the spiritual successor Numenara isn't all that, probably due to the skyhigh expectations.

What was the final consensus on Foxtel Now? Did the on-demand Game of Thrones episodes end up being 1080p or 720p after the delay (of one extra day, or whatever it was)?

If anyone is using the PS4 app I'd be particularly keen to hear your experiences.

What was the final consensus on Foxtel Now? Did the on-demand Game of Thrones episodes end up being 1080p or 720p after the delay (of one extra day, or whatever it was)?

If anyone is using the PS4 app I'd be particularly keen to hear your experiences.

The first week was definitely not HD until the next day (for on-demand).

I didn't check the second week quickly enough so I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom