• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Business NBN is insane for a lot of big companies. Means running through remote desktops isn't laggy as fuck finally. Our productivity and general morale is way higher now as a result.

My home office cries on cable at the moment with 2-2.5 upload. NBN not ready until JAN-JUL 2019. ugh.

Well if this was a plebiscite, I think higher upstream being more important than higher downstream easily won :)

Do you watch sports?
Not streamed from someone's home :p

I think it's that we used to be with it, but now what we're with is no longer it and what is it weird and scary to us.
I'm definitely out of touch, but then I feel the same way about reality TV, and I should be old enough to grasp that.

I don't watch the person streaming, I watch what they are streaming lol
Do people watch TV and movies streamed from people's homes? I didn't know that was even a thing!

Don't be short-sighted like Turnbull! High speed upload is one of the best things about the (FTTP) NBN!
I love higher upload speed, but it's such a low priority in comparison to download speed, for me anyway. I've gone from 110/2 (pre-NBN) during peak to maybe 20/40 (post-NBN) on my 100/40 plan.

Sorry your work has super fast business-grade internet man. For most small businesses, that's not a cost that can be justified.
Fair enough. I hadn't considered that small businesses would be using consumer rather than business plans.

It would make it possible for me to work from home instead of doing overtime or going in on weekends.
Can't you remote into your work machine from home, and work on that? You only need good downstream for that.

Ditto for uploading videos to social media. It takes seconds, not minutes or hours.
I do that as well, but it isn't really very time sensitive for me.

100/2 is a joke. I would much prefer 50/20.
I'd take the 100/2 any day of the week myself, obviously :)

hirokazu

I love higher upload speed, but it's such a low priority in comparison to download speed, for me anyway. I've gone from 110/2 (pre-NBN) during peak to maybe 20/40 (post-NBN) on my 100/40 plan.
Have you looked in to what the problem is? Lack of bandwidth with your ISP? You're obviously not getting what you paid for and should raise some complaints.

Can't you remote into your work machine from home, and work on that? You only need good downstream for that.
I can't because home has NBN but work doesn't, so it'd take forever to pull files I need.[/QUOTE]

And what's with people using these telly vision boxes.
When I was a young whipper snapper the family used to gather around the the old wireless radio and listen to Dad and Dave together. Now that was entertainment!

Don't get me started on these auto mobiles these lunatics are speeding around in.
Some of them go as fast as Jesse Owens. Now he was fast.
No-one needs anything faster than a good ole horse and buggy. Much more reliable than these bicycle things those hipsters are into getting about on nowadays.

Hey, my combined bandwidth (upstream and downstream combined) has decreased from 112 to 60 during peak, I don't think being unhappy with that is outlandish lol. I'm paying the same money, with the same ISP, using the same underlying network infrastructure.

I can't wait for NBN2 where we'll finally realise all of our dreams and have 2 Mbps downloads and 110 Mbps uploads :p

Fredescu

Friend of mine took this pic of the NBN node in his street. I thought it was funny.

khbft06.jpg

Telstra Cable 30/1. It might be 35/1, whatever Telstra's standard cable speed is.
I'm not sure how big your employer is, but if they're on a consumer broadband plan they could still look at getting a 'speed boost' which will increase their upstream bandwidth by 2.6x. If it makes their employees more productive it might be worth their while.

While we're bitching about the NBN, what's up with these mobile phones?
A normal payphone was good enough for years for us old people.

And what's with people using these telly vision boxes.
When I was a young whipper snapper the family used to gather around the the old wireless radio and listen to Dad and Dave together. Now that was entertainment!

Don't get me started on these auto mobiles these lunatics are speeding around in.
Some of them go as fast as Jesse Owens. Now he was fast.
No-one needs anything faster than a good ole horse and buggy. Much more reliable than these bicycle things those hipsters are into getting about on nowadays.

and another thing, this Penicillin rubbish...

The greatest of killtacular posts ye olde brethren.

Soar

the "Sleezy" completes the picture. Along similar lines I'm always fascinated with the humblebundle donations where users can get a bit creative with their names:

W5lXmRr.png

It's for a good cause, and people do like to have fun, but it's like the internet on a microscopic level.

Superannuation Issues: A Sequel

A week ago, I tried to set up my login to my super account but found out, from ringing up, that my employer put in my details incorrectly when I started work (misspelling/misentering two different fields...that they got right everywhere else). The super organisation said that only the employer can fix this* since it wasn't just one field that was wrong. It hasn't been fixed a week after I told my boss.

But today, I got a letter from the super saying that they received my first employer contribution. I've been employed here for 7 months. I assume it's the full amount up to date but because of the above issues I can't sign in and check.

*A later time I called up, they said I could make a statutory declaration and provide proof of my ID with it and send it to the super.

Oh, you mean Nintendo Switch, not network switch lol. I don't have a Nintendo Switch, so best of luck :)

Thanks anyway 👍🏻

What's the model/brand of the USB Network Adapter are you using? Not all adapters will work with Nintendo's gear, but those that use the same chipset as the official adapters will: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xnzxr/psa_gigabit_3rd_party_lan_adapters/

You may need to check with your network admin if they allow certain gaming ports too. Another avenue to check when located on a school/uni premises.

Okay, thanks, I'll look into this.

C08TNbm.png

Anyone else using a Raspberry Pi for retro gaming? Obviously emulation rather than cold hard hardware but still, very elegant solution which works great in Wii style scenarios (holidays, parties, bunch of bored people or those avoiding uni lectures).

lVxxATJ.jpg

Lot of questions before you start, mainly around what you already have.

Have a spare HDMI cable?
Have a spare microSD card? Everything is stored on this. For just old cart games you don't need much space at all. If you wanna do NeoGeo & PSOne get a bigger one, 64GB or more.
Have something to access said microSD card via computer? My laptop has a SD card slot and I had an adapter come with one of the cards. Otherwise you can buy readers super cheap on eBay et al. You need this to flash the microSD card with the operating software, one and done deal.
Lucky enough to have a spare microUSB charger that outputs 5V 2.5A? Recommend grabbing an official power supply when you grab the board so there are no power related issues to troubleshoot.

Next a question on what you want it for!

Do you want to run N64 games? If so I'd recommend a case that comes with a tiny fan as you'll want to overclock as N64 emulation is still pretty spotty at low specs. Otherwise any fanless case will do!

37buyQJ.jpg
pWAyViY.jpg

Alright! So lets breakdown what you need.
Raspberry Pi 3 board (around $55)
HDMI cable (not much)
Power supply ($10-15ish)
Case (not much to $12 to fancy $20+ ones that look like consoles)
microSD card (not much to $50 depending on size)
A USB controller or keyboard (any is fine to do the basic setup, you can grab cheap USB controllers from eBay, wireless ones, 8bitdo ones, PS3/4 controllers, etc. Once setup you can use bluetooth wireless as you can see in the board picture above!)

That's all you need to get running. And a TV of course, unless you want to go crazy and put a lil screen on it or grab the even smaller Pi Zero which you can chuck into a 3D printed Game Boy.

You could even hook it up to a cocktail arcade table.

Anyway the easiest way to set it all up for retro gaming is chuck RetroPie on it. Means you boot straight into the OS ready to look at and select games. Will also let you run Kodi (like Plex) but no Netflix app yet :(

It's much easier than you'd think to get up and running. Has nice easy step by step instructions, only issue is working out how to structure ROM's on the SD card but I can talk through the specific platforms as some operate differently to each other. You can transfer straight off your PC to the Pi too through your wifi network which is really painless.

You can also download or make your own themes. You can obviously mess around with your Raspberry Pi a ton.

(obviously only download ROM's for games you own)

Email quote for various Australia only Steam Saint's Row Francise keys: (2, 3 complete and Gat out of Hell)

Post if you take them so others don't endlessly try them!

Jintor

i'm also nearly done with my grad dip which i'm happy about i think

the operative word being 'nearly'. still two assessments to go mid-week right as I start to wrap my current duties

MoonGred

Raspberry pi

The other day I was thinking about asking what the best Sega retro console is as I'd always written off a raspberry pi as something that is a lot of hassle.

Really happy to see that isn't the case. Will actually look into it and might start buying some parts.

Do you know if it's possible to have a Pi power over usb?

The other day I was thinking about asking what the best Sega retro console is as I'd always written off a raspberry pi as something that is a lot of hassle.

Really happy to see that isn't the case. Will actually look into it and might start buying some parts.

Do you know if it's possible to have a Pi power over usb?
Like through a TV? Yep if it pushes around 2A, which the higher quality ones should.

Yea that's exactly what I was thinking.

Could be okay, need to test on your TV. Worst case scenario (if it has enough power to run) is the cuts to power when you turn your TV off could possibly corrupt the SD card and require reformating but that isn't the end of the world if you keep your ROM's/etc in a folder on your PC. Once reformatted just copy the ROM's/configs/etc over again. Unlikely to happen though by the sounds of it, most people don't buy an on/off switch, they just pull the power.

Superannuation Issues: A Sequel

A week ago, I tried to set up my login to my super account but found out, from ringing up, that my employer put in my details incorrectly when I started work (misspelling/misentering two different fields...that they got right everywhere else). The super organisation said that only the employer can fix this* since it wasn't just one field that was wrong. It hasn't been fixed a week after I told my boss.

But today, I got a letter from the super saying that they received my first employer contribution. I've been employed here for 7 months. I assume it's the full amount up to date but because of the above issues I can't sign in and check.

*A later time I called up, they said I could make a statutory declaration and provide proof of my ID with it and send it to the super.
Will you be compensated for the lost interest over those 7 months? I mean, it won't be much but.. it's Mabo... it's the vibe.

Sounds like an imcompetent employer.

Will you be compensated for the lost interest over those 7 months? I mean, it won't be much but.. it's Mabo... it's the vibe.

Sounds like an imcompetent employer.

There's a bunch of issues and lots of dissatisfaction lately. I won't push them over the interest. People think there will be new owners soon.

Soar

man this whole thing

i dunno

we dated for ages, this is my first breakup in years

this sucks

Get distracted with a new hobby. Been there, I took up cello and a martial art. Doesn't necessarily help but time should. Hope you feel better soon.

mulac

I have a custom built pc (GTX 980, i5 processor, pretty capable and in a brand new corsair tower) and a ton of computer accessories (including an empty Phanteks Enthoo Primo tower).

Best place to sell that isnt ebay? What to most people with 'spare' computer parts do with them? Part of me wants to store them just incase...but doubt that will fly as my wife and I are on a cleanup spree.

I've got a really powerful htpc sitting next to my tv might shift too since my nvidia shield i got as a birthday present does pretty much the same job (plex and netflix streaming).

Anyway, thoughts and advice welcome. Again, ebay and gumtree are lousy for selling computer parts right? especially prebuilt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom