• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The switch receives the MAC address, it doesn't provide it. The MAC address is a unique hardware address for your network interface (think of it like a serial number for your network interface). Sorry if you already know this stuff and just worded your post awkwardly.

Is your issue that DHCP isn't working, or that you can't determine your network interface's MAC address (in order to do static assignment/DMZ/etc.)?

txKqXT2.jpg

By provide I just meant state, but I should have been clearer anyway cos it's not like anyone's gonna take much notice of it on this screen. But I just wondered when it should show there, as the switch is providing power to the adapter but isn't registering as there when I try to connect.

I'm at a uni residence so I don't know if there's much else I can do with just a port in the wall. I'm just trying to play online at all. I used my laptop as a hotspot and could get online, but no multiplayer, so I don't know if that eliminates all possibilities right there.

The only other details are that the Ethernet cable works fine on its own for ps4 multiplayer, and that the adapter works when it's connected to my laptop.

Edit: the adapter also doesn't register for the ps4.

txKqXT2.jpg

By provide I just meant state, but I should have been clearer anyway cos it's not like anyone's gonna take much notice of it on this screen. But I just wondered when it should show there, as the switch is providing power to the adapter but isn't registering as there when I try to connect.

I'm at a uni residence so I don't know if there's much else I can do with just a port in the wall. I'm just trying to play online at all. I used my laptop as a hotspot and could get online, but no multiplayer, so I don't know if that eliminates all possibilities right there.

The only other details are that the Ethernet cable works fine on its own for ps4 multiplayer, and that the adapter works when it's connected to my laptop.

So you have a laptop and a PS4 in your room, you have a wireless network there, and also an Ethernet wall socket? Your laptop can get internet access via wireless, and your PS4 can get internet access via the Ethernet port? You say the adaptor works fine when it's connected to your laptop? It's no surprise that the USB-Ethernet adaptor doesn't work with the PS4, because it will never work with the PS4.

What is the actual problem that you're trying to solve here?

So you have a laptop and a PS4 in your room, you have a wireless network there, and also an Ethernet wall socket? Your laptop can get internet access via wireless, and your PS4 can get internet access via the Ethernet port? You say the adaptor works fine when it's connected to your laptop? It's no surprise that the USB-Ethernet adaptor doesn't work with the PS4, because it will never work with the PS4.

What is the actual problem that you're trying to solve here?

The consoles can't connect wirelessly here, I gotta use the cable. The switch is my only issue, as I can't play splatoon online. I mentioned the other stuff in case any of it was pertinent.

And just to clarify, the hotspot allowed me to access the eshop, but I can't play multiplayer.

The consoles can't connect wirelessly here, I gotta use the cable. The switch is my only issue, as I can't play splatoon online. I mentioned the other stuff in case any of it was pertinent.

And just to clarify, the hotspot allowed me to access the eshop, but I can't play multiplayer.
Oh, you mean Nintendo Switch, not network switch lol. I don't have a Nintendo Switch, so best of luck :)

jambo

About half of my usage this month is me downloading old games to test on my new PC.

Then put Netflix, Stan and Foxtel Now on top of that.

And YouTube always running at 1080 and 1080/60.

Quasar

I haven't used more than 1/5 of my 1TB cap since I've been living in my current place.

Going to admit with my 500GB plan I barely break half way most months. I don't buy a lot of games though. So its basically all video/audio streaming and some other downloading. I probably download 1 full sized console game a month.

What's the model/brand of the USB Network Adapter are you using? Not all adapters will work with Nintendo's gear, but those that use the same chipset as the official adapters will: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xnzxr/psa_gigabit_3rd_party_lan_adapters/

Franziska

Unlimited NBN, but I don't know how much I use each month. A lot of videos and the occasional game along with browsing.

I really gotta commend Apple's customer service.

My MBP died so I got an appointment at Mac1/Harvey Norman a week ago, who wanted to charge me $99 just for diagnosing the problem, and then I'd be on the hook for the cost of the repairs.

Managed to get an appointment at the Apple Store today and they did the diagnostics free of charge and will repair it for free unless they find signs of liquid or something even though it is out of warranty.

Plus the representative was more pleasant in general, and made sure that I understood and was okay with everything he was doing.

Quasar

Unlimited NBN, but I don't know how much I use each month. A lot of videos and the occasional game along with browsing.

I really gotta commend Apple's customer service.

My MBP died so I got an appointment at Mac1/Harvey Norman a week ago, who wanted to charge me $99 just for diagnosing the problem, and then I'd be on the hook for the cost of the repairs.

Managed to get an appointment at the Apple Store today and they did the diagnostics free of charge and will repair it for free unless they find signs of liquid or something even though it is out of warranty.

Plus the representative was more pleasant in general, and made sure that I understood and was okay with everything he was doing.

Yeah. My limited Apple support experience has been really positive. They really go out of their way. I mean my iPad Air2 last october that was a year out of warranty (and I never got Applecare for it) the screen went all yellow and they just replaced it no questions.

Though maybe thats simply due to ACL and the fact that they probably cannot be repaired.

You may need to check with your network admin if they allow certain gaming ports too. Another avenue to check when located on a school/uni premises.

Anyone ever gone on a working holiday and can tell me the pros and cons of this endeavour? (considering deferring for a semester after next sem to go to Japan on working holiday while i'm still a fresh faced boi) If anyone has any Japan specific information as well that would be much appreciated thank you!

We got the NBN connected today.
Boy does it like dropping out.
I've had 3 complete outages in the few months since I've been on the HFC NBN (we're talking down for significant periods, like 6+ hours, including no working home land line), vs none on Telstra cable previously (i.e. using the same damn physical connection) in about 5 years.

It is literally worse than the internet connection I had previously in every single way bar upload bandwidth. And who cares about upload bandwidth?

I'm sortof stuck on a legacy 100GB peak, 100GB offpeak plan with iiNet (steam is free with steamlimiter on and netflix is unmetered as well) . I can't upgrade without changing the phone yet again, a complete pain in the arse as they have changed the structure. Though they do have an unlimited + internet phone at $39.99 for 12 months on my network, might call them up and threaten to leave for the NBN or just annoy them till they give me a better deal.

Also Witcher III at 1440p perfect 60fps with everything on Ultra with the CPU and GPU not even hitting 50 deg C, I think I love my new computer.

Quasar

I've had 3 complete outages in the few months since I've been on the HFC NBN (we're talking down for significant periods, like 6+ hours, including no working home land line), vs none on Telstra cable previously (i.e. using the same damn physical connection) in about 5 years.

It is literally worse than the internet connection I had previously in every single way bar upload bandwidth. And who cares about upload bandwidth?

Anyone streaming. Or using the cloud in any meaningful way.

I don't think I've had a single dropout on in the Yeats I've had my nbn connection. Or at least not any rewarded about. I'm on a fibre connection though.

Anyone streaming. Or using the cloud in any meaningful way.
I've never understood the streaming phenomenon. How many Australians stream useful content from their homes? Genuine question. Home security camera feeds come to mind I suppose.

On the cloud, do many people work with huge files via the cloud? Isn't that unwieldy even with better bandwidth than you can get on the NBN? I remote into machines with serious connections for that sort of thing.

jambo

I've never understood the streaming phenomenon. How many Australians stream useful content from their homes? Genuine question. Home security camera feeds come to mind I suppose.

I know a number of video game streamers who were very excited to get on to the NBN. I think the Twitch group in Adelaide has 50 people listed. Melbourne and Sydney would be a lot more people.

On the cloud, do many people work with huge files via the cloud? Isn't that unwieldy even with better bandwidth than you can get on the NBN? I remote into machines with serious connections for that sort of thing.

Cloud is great for collaborating with people. We even use a shared cloud folder for our Pathfinder group, so people can access the various PDFs and other info and edit shared docs and spreadsheets.

Quasar

Well surely there's a community of local livestreamers on YouTube and twitch.

I certainly use it for cloud backups as well as streaming media from home when away. And I imagine there's a range of businesses who heavily use upstream bandwidth.

Quasar

I've never watched an Aussie stream of anything - not that I'm pretending to be representative of anything though lol. I'm not even sure what I would watch a livestream of from someone's home TBH.

As I said 'surely'. I don't know as I don't watch videogame streams. Don't even have a twitch account. I've watched video podcasts featuring live video coming over the NBN in HD. I guess that counts :)

And NBN doesn't mean from someones home. Businesses use the NBN too.

Cerity

I work from home a lot more now that I have nbn, my connection is actually faster than most of our offices. I have FttP and it maintains a rock solid 100/40

I transfer 20-30gb a day for work, I can't imagine doing that on an old adsl connection, sometimes it's painful enough at work.

And NBN doesn't mean from someones home. Businesses use the NBN too.
Business internet plans haven't had the same upstream limitations of non-business plans pre-NBN, so the increase in upstream bandwidth is only really a revelation for consumers.

I work from home a lot more now that I have nbn, my connection is actually faster than most of our offices. I have FttP and it maintains a rock solid 100/40

I transfer 20-30gb a day for work, I can't imagine doing that on an old adsl connection, sometimes it's painful enough at work.
I think transferring 20-30GB even at 5MB/s would drive me batty. At work I guess I'm a bit spoiled on the bandwidth front though.

Rizzi

At least the download speeds are good on steam. 11.2 MB/s is a lot better than the 600 kbp/s I was getting before.

I'm just wondering why I'd want to watch someone else play games. I just don't get it. It'd be like watching other people drive my car or eat my food lol.

Same here. Same with Esports. I can trace why I don't like watching other people play games from when I was a kid and would go to the arcades with my older brother. We'd each have $5 and me being unco in the extreme, my cash wouldn't go far (this was when most machines were 20 cents a play). So I'd have to wait for my bro to finish. Ever since, I've hated watching others play games and could never understand huge numbers of people watching youtubers, streamer
and esports.

Mind you, I could never understand cosplay but then I went to supanova and thought the cosplay was the best bit.

Still nicer internet speeds are nice regardless of the application. Apart from live streaming of torturing backpackers on Facebook.

I'm just wondering why I'd want to watch someone else play games. I just don't get it. It'd be like watching other people drive my car or eat my food lol.
If you let him, my son will spend hours watching people play Mario games.

I think it's that we used to be with it, but now what we're with is no longer it and what is it weird and scary to us.

Stackboy

Watching streams for me is like watching cricket. Something to have on in the background.

And I'm not a big sports fan, so streams > sports.

hirokazu

Don't be short-sighted like Turnbull! High speed upload is one of the best things about the (FTTP) NBN!

Business internet plans haven't had the same upstream limitations of non-business plans pre-NBN, so the increase in upstream bandwidth is only really a revelation for consumers.
Geez, okay you are pretty short-sighted. Sorry your work has super fast business-grade internet man. For most small businesses, that's not a cost that can be justified.

I had to send through a fairly large Illustrator file off to the printers yesterday. It took over an hour to upload on Telstra Cable. On my NBN connection at home, it would've taken 30 seconds.

The upload speeds provided by 100/40 NBN would also enable off-site and/or cloud backups of my family's computers as well as work computers.

It would make it possible for me to work from home instead of doing overtime or going in on weekends.

At home I have a NAS set up on NBN and I have my own cloud storage that I can access from anywhere. It is also running all my media with Plex that I can stream whereever I am. I usually take advantage of it when I'm staying at my parents' place.

I gave up on uploading my photo library to Google Photos when I was on ADSL2+ after uploading for two months because it was so slow and time consuming. When I got on the NBN, I did it overnight.

Ditto for uploading videos to social media. It takes seconds, not minutes or hours.

I can send large files to family and friends and my upload speed exceeds their shitty ADSL2+ download speed, unless they're also on NBN.

These are just my personal benefits from NBN upload speeds, I'm not even going into the benefits for others yet. But why do we need fast upload?

Business NBN is insane for a lot of big companies. Means running through remote desktops isn't laggy as fuck finally. Our productivity and general morale is way higher now as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom