• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Beta : Impressions and Discussion

JB1981

I have played roughly 15 rounds of Chain Reaction and I'm still confused by it. So there is usually one beacon to capture and one to defend, correct? Then at some point you have to trigger an "alignment sequence", is this to activate a new beacon? And when you capture a new beacon does that draw down enemy reinforcements?

Also, in regard to brightness I had to boost mine because I couldn't see shit in interiors.

njean777

Can anybody tell me if its better the COD? Im having a problem deciding between this game or MW3, Im buying BF3 for sure but need a second solid mp shooter.

ToyBroker

Banned
njean777 said:
Can anybody tell me if its better the COD? Im having a problem deciding between this game or MW3, Im buying BF3 for sure but need a second solid mp shooter.

Uh........

And why on Earth would you buy COD AND BF3? At least with Resistance 3 you get something completely different.

VanWinkle

njean777 said:

They're really different, so I couldn't tell you. I like it way better than COD but there could be somebody else out there who has the complete opposite opinion. You really need to play it somehow and find out for yourself.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
JB1981 said:
Also, in regard to brightness I had to boost mine because I couldn't see shit in interiors.

I guess your talking about the Seaside map?, are you actually supposed to see in the interior of the buildings in that map though?, I got the impression that they were intentionally dark.

JB1981

lowrider007 said:
I guess your talking about the Seaside map, are actually you supposed to see in the interior though of the buildings in that map?, I got the impression that they we're intentionally dark.

Yea I kind of did too but then I kept dying when I'd try to cap a beacon so I just turned it up. Now I can see much better and don't get killed out of nowhere. I actually think, overall, the game looks better brighter.

JB1981 said:
I have played roughly 15 rounds of Chain Reaction and I'm still confused by it. So there is usually one beacon to capture and one to defend, correct? Then at some point you have to trigger an "alignment sequence", is this to activate a new beacon? And when you capture a new beacon does that draw down enemy reinforcements?

I don't see what people are having trouble with in CR. With each beacon you capture you're advancing into enemy's spawn. They can recapture the closest point you've taken to push back. You only have to do the alignment sequence for the final capture point.

And yeah, it's too dark indoors on seaside.

VanWinkle

In regards to the brightness, after I'm in the building for a second (they use the exposure effect like a lot of games these days do), it's perfectly visible to me. Maybe my brightness is up higher or something.

njean777

ToyBroker said:
Uh........

And why on Earth would you buy COD AND BF3? At least with Resistance 3 you get something completely different.

because I only play two mp fps shooters a year (no reason for more), unless there is no new BF then its only COD. But I like the resistance franchise and have played the other two, just seeing what people thought about it, I don't want to buy it and have the community die off really quick.

MrPliskin

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
Damn james, I was on your team, and twice I got frozen out

I was a locked out half way through, then power up ps3 again, get back into same game amazingly, get put on other team, then get an auger kill streak, activate, bam another freeze ; ;

Also too many random network errors popping up good sir

"Server timed out" (20000######)
"Network Device not detected" same 2000###### thing
"Game has already ended"...um the game just started, maybe 3 minutes have passed

Then inexplicably, my game goes glitchy, like the leapers even when you kill them stay there, for 3+ seconds, then vanish or blow up
I have seen characters die, then magically be in there standing position and stay there for up 30 seconds

I can look past all the craziness, but the freezing...good lord the freezing
8 games played, 11 hard locks, freezes that made me reset my PS3, got the inevitable 3 beep for PS3 soft reset everytime

I'm just going to wait it out, too frustrating, and with my PS3 history, of 2 DRE's and 3 YLOD's, I can't risk it man

I'll await news for stability and hopefully some jankiness corrections, but till then, I'm sorry James, I Thank You for being a good guy and giving me a free key, but I'm not gonna risk it

The freezes cannot cause a hardware failure on your PS3....if it's gonna happen, it'll happen regardless of you playing R3 with hard resets or not.

So I've played for a few hours now since yesterday.
Yesterday I had to hard reset about 3 times whenever my team won a match of chain reaction. Since then I haven't had that problem. So I'm happy about that.
Just now I was in a chain reaction game but it was messed up so that we couldn't capture anything. All the things were locked out. about 10 minutes into that match i respawned with the gun in my face (happened with the marksmen and carbnie). So that my view was blocked by an extreme closeup of the barrel. If I picked up another gun and switched it sometimes fixed the problem. Some of the enemies also walked around like their bodies were in a falling motion, like the way you look when you die.
Other than those few problems I've been having lots of fun playing :]

VanWinkle

njean777 said:
because I only play two mp fps shooters a year (no reason for more), unless there is no new BF then its only COD. But I like the resistance franchise and have played the other two, just seeing what people thought about it, I don't want to buy it and have the community die off really quick.

Well, I mean, Resistance 2 was not amazing by any means and it still has quite a few games open all the time three years later. This game is definitely better than it, so there shouldn't be a problem there.

njean777

VanWinkle said:
Well, I mean, Resistance 2 was not amazing by any means and it still has quite a few games open all the time three years later. This game is definitely better than it, so there shouldn't be a problem there.

Ok great then I think ill pick it up

Jburton

Banned
Really enjoying this game, apart from the documented bugs etc ...... this game is a lot of fun, looks great and runs very smoothly.

tanod

when is my burrito
Jburton said:
Really enjoying this game, apart from the documented bugs etc ...... this game is a lot of fun, looks great and runs very smoothly.

What kind of bugs? Map glitches or control glitches, AI glitches? One of the most disappointing parts of R2 was all the bugs and a general lack of polish. The Uncharted 3 beta didn't have any bugs apart from people being able to get outside of the maps and some gameplay modes not starting and that comes out later than R3.

I heard Insomniac was working on the day 1 patch with this beta. If this is where the multiplayer code is at and the code on the disc is finalized, we're looking at the same issues as R2. It just needs to be delayed.

VanWinkle

tanod said:
What kind of bugs? Map glitches or control glitches, AI glitches? One of the most disappointing parts of R2 was all the bugs and a general lack of polish. The Uncharted 3 beta didn't have any bugs apart from people being able to get outside of the maps and some gameplay modes not starting and that comes out later than R3.

I heard Insomniac was working on the day 1 patch with this beta. If this is where the multiplayer code is at and the code on the disc is finalized, we're looking at the same issues as R2. It just needs to be delayed.

Trust me, it's definitely more polished than R2. Bugs are basically games crashing (hasn't happened to me yet though) and getting hung up. That's about it, other than a little lag, and this is all getting worked on for a day 1 patch according to James.

MrPliskin

Banned
KingOfKong said:
i rarely agree with IGN about anything but they are spot on with this song haha.

The game has tons of colors in areas where it makes sense.

It doesnt necessarily make sense to have Oklahoma green and grassy when the vegetation is dying from dropping temps. Besides, have you ever been to oklahoma?

But I guess if you dont follow the game and let IGN troll for hits, then it could be funny.

Atruvius

VanWinkle said:
Trust me, it's definitely more polished than R2. Bugs are basically games crashing (hasn't happened to me yet though) and getting hung up. That's about it, other than a little lag, and this is all getting worked on for a day 1 patch according to James.
There's more than. Today I got into a CR match that wouldn't end. People couldn't capture any nodes and tickets weren't depleting. And when I have died the camera has dropped through the ground. Both happened in Wales.

iratA

Overall, loving the Beta! Can't wait for the full release. That said, here are my issues:

1. Motion Blur needs major re-working IMO. Yes I know its an issue being looked at, but I felt it needed saying again. My eyes were hurting due to poor IQ and trying to focus on distant enemies. I felt this even after short play sessions. Maybe the sub-HD res wasn't helping but this is no joke.

2. Is it just me or does the Carbine feel a tad underpowered? Its probably not by much but I think it needs to be looked at for a slight damage increase.

3. Many other little bugs and what not, like ribbon pictures not showing up but the titles do, and occasionaly delayed sound FX, but I'm sure these will get sorted by launch, perhaps in the patch JS has been talking about.

Otherwise this is a tight, and most importantly fun multiplayer experience. This is going to be a good year for PS3 multiplayer gaming.

is there still any chance or way for a beta key? Waaay too late, i know. But i'm curious for this game.
Loved the co-op in R2 and i see a lot of elements of that in the multiplayer.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I actually like the color scheme so far for the most part. The seaside map looks really nice, maybe just tone down the green a tiny bit... can they still even tweak this? Also I know it's really late, but is there anyway to get the old Fareye model back?

Also again is there any possible way to get the target bomber grenades back from the first one? They felt so smooth on release and it just felt right. Now the grenades kind of just float out of your hand.

zlatko

Banned
Is there something wrong with matchmaking? I tried for 10 minutes to find matches, and then finally found a game that was 5 on 4 for the objective game type. Finished it up and at the last second it froze the PS3, so I said screw it since I waited about 40 minutes to download, then another 40 for the update, and then 10 mins to find a match that ended in a freeze lol.

I turned up my camera sensitivity up two notches and it still felt sort of muddy to try and put my cross hairs where I wanted. Mind you I don't need CoD twitch controls, but this just wasn't enough, so I may have to max it.

Must have just been the 5 on 4, but it felt the map was just empty for what was going on.

Those little weird fat things on the ground are the leapers right? Are you supposed to just shoot them? Sort of sucks to try to deal with those and an enemy same time. Didn't like the mirage ability either, because getting the drop on a person and shooting the wrong one for your first few bullets, often was leading to an even bullet trade since they can react in time to your misses. Is there a clear way to determine which is the real person and which is the fake?

Last thing is, is this game running on dedicated servers?

Always-honest said:
is there still any chance or way for a beta key? Waaay too late, i know. But i'm curious for this game.
Loved the co-op in R2 and i see a lot of elements of that in the multiplayer.

http://twitter.com/#!/insomniacgames

Insomniac will give some keys starting monday, you can also subscribe to Playstation Plus, but maybe you don't want to pay for a beta that should be free :lol

RockmanWhore said:
http://twitter.com/#!/insomniacgames

Insomniac will give some keys starting monday, you can also subscribe to Playstation Plus, but maybe you don't want to pay for a beta that should be free :lol
Thanx. But you're right, i'm not going to subscribe to playstation plus.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
There is something up with matchmaking right now. I was with the game being played live at MLG all day yesterday and in touch with all our guys about the matchmaking we were seeing.

We were getting success trying to match directly into TDM or Chain Reaction (not anything), but even that wasn't 100%.

The player counts are also still very low, that'll begin changing this week.

Also - one thing that's useful if you get booted is that if you have friends in the game, you should just be able to select them on the friends list and hit join. As was mentioned, a crash here shouldn't effect your PS3. If software crashed destroyed PS3s, we'd go through a lot more dev and test kits each year. heh.

And in terms of lag, some of it may be latency, but a lot of the jerkiness you see is actually a framerate bug. We know about other issues that aren't in the OP, but they aren't nearly as prevalent (gun barrel is in faces, the invisible/invincible player).

Oh, and as someone said, this feels like a real beta. That's 100% right. This is still our closed beta for us, as our original one got cancelled because of something outside of our control. First widescale deployment always has issues, but we are working on it. We want to get the fixes to the beta as well, but priority of course is making sure the full game is solid.

And believe or not, this is better than the previous build we put up when the closed beta started :)

Thrakier

I really wish you guys let us try out move...I don't get why it's not in the beta. I mean, it's already in the game, isn't it?

Bollocks

So who's in charge of the GAF clan?

I gave it another try and like it much much more, can't wait to play again later today, but as I got my enjoyment up the freezes started to become more frequently :/

Loudninja

Chain reaction is fun, you have to get every node, and finally push the button, but you have to defend the last node until the count sequence is complete.Like I said you need a good team for that mode.

Atruvius

electroshockwave said:
I just realized that you can't aim when in the air. :(

Also, why do the vast majority of my crashes happen the moment that the game ends?
I read from somewhere that it might have something to do with scoreboard. I have been having freeze free games lately. Only one freeze today and yesterday it froze like half a dozen times.

MrPliskin

Banned
Thrakier said:
I really wish you guys let us try out move...I don't get why it's not in the beta. I mean, it's already in the game, isn't it?

They are separate pieces of software. The let's purpose is not to be a demo, but for bug reporting and balance / server issues. Putting Move / 3D into the beta is a waste of resources.

Loudninja

JB1981 said:
so jsteve are you not patching this current beta build at all? just patching the game before release?
What's next for the beta / R3?

We are currently busy working on our Day 1 Patch for Resistance 3, with many of the fixes and updates based on items you all have brought up here. We will then bring those fixes to the beta in a patch. We may also adjust the the level cap / progression at some point to allow you access to more items. This is still TBD, but we'll try to keep you updated.
http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/index.php?topic=56161.0

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
JB1981 said:
so jsteve are you not patching this current beta build at all? just patching the game before release?

we are, but getting the fixes to the final game is higher priority and what we're working on first.

Karram

So I just played a few games for about 2 hours, and I thought it was pretty good. This the first time I play a Resistance game other than the PSP game.

I thought the controls were good. Guns felt satisfying and the movement felt right.
Both maps were well built even though they weren't very original. If there is one thing I didn't like about them is how inaccessible they are for new player, especially the train map. They take a while to get used to, probably due to the lack of any landmark guiding the player or helping them locate their position. I thought moving the train rails to the middle of the map, replacing the garage, might help. I think this could be frustrating for impatient players.

Another thing was I felt the Bullseye is way more efficient than M5A2 caliber.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
My feedback:

(I couldnt play much due the constant freezes and lag spikes)
  • Weird ladder animation. I guess its a WIP.
  • Low jump height. Lots of fences and obstacles should be 'jumpable' to keep the fast flow of the game
  • Some texts are hard to see. Small fonts + high contrast background
  • The player and his squad names should be colored differently from the rest of the players in the ingame battle log. (The text that shows who kill who)
  • Currently is kinda hard to identify your squad teammates. The squad members names should be colored differently from the rest of the players.(The name on top of each player)
  • Motion blur. Yeah, please remove it if possible. :3

Fersis said:
My feedback:

(I couldnt play much due the constant freezes and lag spikes)
  • Weird ladder animation. I guess its a WIP.
  • Low jump height. Lots of fences and obstacles should be 'jumpable' to keep the fast flow of the game
  • Some texts are hard to see. Small fonts + high contrast background
  • The player and his squad names should be colored differently from the rest of the players in the ingame battle log. (The text that shows who kill who)
    [*] Currently is kinda hard to identify your squad teammates. The squad members names should be colored differently from the rest of the players.(The name on top of each player)
    [*] Motion blur. Yeah, please remove it if possible. :3

Agreed.

T-0800

Game is fun and day 1 etc etc but....

The seaside level. The green!!! Looks like someone threw up radiation all over it. Looks horrible.

I've mentioned this previously but why have two rounds with a change of species with no difference between the two? R1 was great in this regard.

Oh did I mention the green? Yuck.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MrPliskin said:
Crank the motion blur up to 11. 12 even! It's a sad day when games give folks motion sickness or head aches. Go outside! :p

how about they crank the resolution and FOV. Then it wouldn't be a problem.

JB1981

Has Insomniac released a list of the other gametypes that will be available, the number of maps, co-op info etc?

Top Bottom