• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Queens of the Stone Age, Villains, produced by Mark Ronson

The ticketmaster pre-sale for the tour starts today at 10:00. I have a pre-sale code I won't be using. Putting it up for grabs here. If you use it, please reply so others know it has been used.

code: AaFzk4pHjf

AcridMeat

Banned
They're just playing Outside Lands in the bay...I can't remember the last time they played a show here that wasn't a festival.

Still so pissed I didn't go to NIN/QOTSA when I was 15.

I was lucky enough to catch the first show of the tour in Niagra Falls, NY. The venue only holds 1,800 people so I was extremely lucky. In summation, it was the best show I've ever been to. The guys had a ton of energy and you could tell how happy they were to be playing again. They sounded massive and were extremely tight.

They played two songs off of Villains. The first was How you Used to Do, which sounds great live and the second was called Evil Has Landed. It sounds very much like a Them Crooked Vultures track or something akin to Fun Machine off Era Vulgaris. It was about six minutes long and as Josh described it, it's a "whale of a song."

Overall the entire show was amazing, start to finish. I'm really considering seeing them again when they return to the US in the fall with Royal Blood.

I've seen queens 6 or 7 times. They are incredible live and you should see them if you have the chance. I'm so stoked for caljam 17 in October!

I've seen them three times, including once with Dave Grohl on drums and they weren't mind-blowing tbh. One show on the Era Vulgaris tour flat as hell until they got to 'In the Fade' which seemed to bring them to life just in time for the final few tracks in the set.

Then one year I sat out Glastonbury and they showed up on the Sunday, and my friends in attendance all said it was one of the best shows they'd ever seen.

I somehow missed seeing them on the Like Clockwork tour, despite being obsessed with that album.

Hmmmm, sounds like Villains is definitely gonna have a TCV vibe when it drops.

I would love a second TCV album, even more so if the single is indicative of how Villains is going to sound.

I've seen them three times, including once with Dave Grohl on drums and they weren't mind-blowing tbh. One show on the Era Vulgaris tour flat as hell until they got to 'In the Fade' which seemed to bring them to life just in time for the final few tracks in the set.

Then one year I sat out Glastonbury and they showed up on the Sunday, and my friends in attendance all said it was one of the best shows they'd ever seen.

I somehow missed seeing them on the Like Clockwork tour, despite being obsessed with that album.

I would love a second TCV album, even more so if the single is indicative of how Villains is going to sound.

They must love LA!

I saw them live during the Like Clockwork tour and they were pretty mediocre. Felt like a greatest hits album being played live. Barely any differences from the studio songs, no interaction with the audience, etc.

Maybe it was just a bad day for them.

Ristifer

I saw them live during the Like Clockwork tour and they were pretty mediocre. Felt like a greatest hits album being played live. Barely any differences from the studio songs, no interaction with the audience, etc.

Must've been a bad day. I saw them on that tour and they were unbelievably good.

The thing with queens is every setlist is like a greatest hits. They have very few bad songs, none of which are played live

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Bad day. I saw them during that tour and it was spectacular. Josh even told security to quit shining their lights in the crowd.

Super bummed they are skipping over Texas this tour.

Ninhead

I've been waiting 6 years for them to come back to Cleveland. They're playing the Agora, which is smaller and awesome... The first night of Riot Fest. Sure, I'll see them the next night, but it'd be great to be able to see them with my friends.

New snippet sounds really great.

AcridMeat

Banned
Didn't see it posted, anyone hear "The Evil Has Landed"?

Sounding more like a TCV track which is what I'm expecting out of the album. Hopefully studio sounds good.

Like the jam at the end, again I hope the studio outro is solid.

Anyone hear the latest snippets? The "Here We Come" one that came out a few days sounds great.

Just noticed that the first album is back on Spotify too.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I hear if you listen to it ahead of release, Mark Lanegan comes out of your closet while you're sleeping and threatens to tear your jugular if you don't let him bum a smoke.

After one listen... I love it! But I'm always wary to get too high or too low on an album after first listen. This has Josh's queens trademarks but also some tcv. I'll listen again tomorrow

JimiNutz

Banned
After one listen... I love it! But I'm always wary to get too high or too low on an album after first listen. This has Josh's queens trademarks but also some tcv. I'll listen again tomorrow

Is there a comparison to any previous albums? I know that Like Clockwork was very popular and that GAF loves that album but nothing beats early QOTSA for me (Rated R, Songs for the Deaf and Lullabies to Paralyze are my favourites). I really hope this album isn't too similar to Like Clockwork?

Is there a comparison to any previous albums? I know that Like Clockwork was very popular and that GAF loves that album but nothing beats early QOTSA for me (Rated R, Songs for the Deaf and Lullabies to Paralyze are my favourites). I really hope this album isn't too similar to Like Clockwork?

It's not really like "like clockwork" at all. Well, I shouldn't say at all, but it's just a different sound. It's not like early queens either. There is a little queens grime, a little tcv rhythm, and just something we haven't yet heard from Josh, which is what I always expect out of him. I will say the way you used to do is probably my least favorite song on the album

Dmax3901

I'd say Era Vulgaris and Songs for the Deaf is what Villains reminds me of most, with a healthy dose of altogether new.

Gunztrix

It's like a dancier era vulgaris. But not quite era vulgaris either. I'm not a fan of the overly emotional like clockwork. So this album gets points right away for putting out tracks that have that QOSTA fun. It's nothing like their previous albums, it's lighter, dancier but just as creative as their original albums.

I give this album an A. Not a S rank album like Songs for the Deaf but a welcome addition none the less. Less head bobbin but more sway of the hips.

About time I get some good god damn music.

It's like a dancier era vulgaris. But not quite era vulgaris either. I'm not a fan of the overly emotional like clockwork. So this album gets points right away for putting out tracks that have that QOSTA fun. It's nothing like their previous albums, it's lighter, dancier but just as creative as their original albums.

I give this album an A. Not a S rank album like Songs for the Deaf but a welcome addition none the less. Less head bobbin but more sway of the hips.

About time I get some good god damn music.

Does it all sound like the single? Because the single was pretty rough.

No, BTW I skipped the single on the album. It's the weakest song on the album.

My advice, be open minded this album has its own sound like all the others.

I've been a huge fan since R came out and generally loved everything they've touched so I feel like I'm due a disappointment. Hoping for the best though, even with the odd producer choice.

Ok, giving it a spin. Feet Don't Fail Me is a great song but I'm not getting the production - where's the bass? It has no weight. I'm playing it through my hi fi but it may as well be through a pair of pack-in iPhone earbuds.

I'm half way through now and this album is nowhere near as good as Like Clockwork, which blew me away on first listen. I like the more prominent synths, but it just doesn't seem like a very strong set. Hopefully at clicks after a few spins.

What's with the rip off (sorry, 'homage') of Telegram Sam by T Rex that is Un-Reborn Again?

Finished it now, first impression - major disappointment. Nothing stands out as particularly interesting, apart from maybe the opener and Villains.

Top Bottom