• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Queens of the Stone Age, Villains, produced by Mark Ronson

I've been a huge fan since R came out and generally loved everything they've touched so I feel like I'm due a disappointment. Hoping for the best though, even with the odd producer choice.

Ok, giving it a spin. Feet Don't Fail Me is a great song but I'm not getting the production - where's the bass? It has no weight. I'm playing it through my hi fi but it may as well be through a pair of pack-in iPhone earbuds.

I'm half way through now and this album is nowhere near as good as Like Clockwork, which blew me away on first listen. I like the more prominent synths, but it just doesn't seem like a very strong set. Hopefully at clicks after a few spins.

What's with the rip off (sorry, 'homage') of Telegram Sam by T Rex that is Un-Reborn Again?

Finished it now, first impression - major disappointment. Nothing stands out as particularly interesting, apart from maybe the opener and Villains.

It'll be a bit divisive for sure. Rule of thumb is give the album 5 spins before deciding!

this quality of the (leak) isn't amazing but man I dig the album a lot so far

Yeah the quality isn't very good for the one I have. Might shelve it and wait for it to release before listening again.

Ok, currently on the second listen and I'm really, really digging it. And this is coming from someone who didn't like the first track they released (although admittedly it's grown on me).

Mark Ronson's influence can be heard, but not felt, if that makes sense. I very much get the sense that Josh wanted something that puts people in a groove at their live shows, and Ronson was attached to the project to help him achieve that sound without taking over the project.

It's definitely unlike any other QOTSA album, but in a good way. It's fresh, while still maintaining what has made them a good band since the beginning. If I had to compare it to a previous album it would definitely be Era Vulgaris and to a lesser extent, Lullabies. I like how they have horn/string outros on some of the songs like their older albums (I think Like Clockwork only did this on one song).

Fortress might be my favorite track. Or Un-Reborn again. The opening track is also great. Honestly the whole album is very cohesive and consistent, it absolutely sounds like a complete work. I think the synthesizers add to the distinct sound of the album, especially on Un-Reborn Again.

Truant

Not a huge fan of the mixing, it sounds a bit underwhelming. Could be the leak, but the single sounded pretty thin too.

Hmm. Not sure I'm feeling this. Some very in interesting music with some really weak production - guitars lack punch and sound thin and buzzy where they should sound more like buzzsaws. I don't love most of the vocal melodies or lyrics either. I do like how prominent the keys/synths are though - really gives the music a unique texture. I guess I didn't think much of ...Like Clockwork the first time I heard it either, so my initial reactions have certainly been wrong before. I'm willing to give the album a few more listens to prove itself, but I'll probably wait for the official release.

Un-Reborn Again is absolutely tits though.

It's such a shame that most of the album has Jon Theodore sounding like he's been replaced by an Ableton drum rack.

I've spun it a couple more times, and I really want to love it but it's just not happening. Fortress and Villains stand out, but that's because they're the only tracks with any emotional resonance that shines through. I also like the occasional use of Gary Numan-esque synth sounds.

Maybe I need to hear the songs in a live context for the switch to flip.

Both tracks are lacking any impact or punch, which is a shame since they're good tracks. Very TCV-esque without the raw power of Dave Grohl or John Paul Jones.

What the fuck is up with this tin can sounding drums? They're so muffled behind the guitar noise, it may as well not be there.

That's the problem of hiring a pop producer who focused on vocals instead of instruments. Josh already has iconic vocals, sadly his band sound like temps.

Edit: oh yeah, album leaked. Does it all sound as empty and flat as the two released tracks? What a shame... I'm sure they'll sound amazing live!

Both tracks are lacking any impact or punch, which is a shame since they're good tracks. Very TCV-esque without the raw power of Dave Grohl or John Paul Jones.

What the fuck is up with this tin can sounding drums? They're so muffled behind the guitar noise, it may as well not be there.

That's the problem of hiring a pop producer who focused on vocals instead of instruments. Josh already has iconic vocals, sadly his band sound like temps.

Edit: oh yeah, album leaked. Does it all sound as empty and flat as the two released tracks? What a shame... I'm sure they'll sound amazing live!

Was just about to say I listened to the second track and the drums sound awful. Will be shite if they're all like that.

It's funny that so many people are upset with the rhythm section on the album because the songs are written in a way to make the songs dance-worthy. Which means drums, bass and riffs that have swing to them. So no, the drums aren't very technically impressive but the beats fit the songs perfectly and give them swagger.

As for the actual mix of the drums, Jon Theodore has said in interviews that he and Mark Ronson made a conscious choice to make them "sound like garbage cans." He said so many bands fixate on getting a clear pure drum sound and they wanted to do something different.

As a huge QotSA fan, I'm loving the album. It's different but still very Qotsa. You could say the same thing of Like Clockwork. It was different but still QotSA. They're goal with this album was to make people dance and I think they've succeeded.

Jenenser

listenin right now, some of it will be an aquired taste, just like "like clockwork".

its not bad at all.

(and yes, its the leak, not proud of it, but album is already bought anyway and i just couldn't wait...)

you definately can tell ronsons influence tough.

GeeTeeCee

I'm enjoying The Evil Has Landed more and more each time I listen to it, which didn't really happen with The Way You Used To Do.

I'm gonna stay patient and avoid the leak for now.

I'm enjoying The Evil Has Landed more and more each time I listen to it, which didn't really happen with The Way You Used To Do.

I'm gonna stay patient and avoid the leak for now.

The album is fantastic. I think most people will really enjoy it. Josh is one of the few artists who has kept a consistent quality his entire career. One of the great artists of our generation

Robot Pants

I've been listening to this album non-stop since it leaked. I absolutely love it.
It actually might be their best. And I LOVE ...Like Clockwork

Can't wait for the official quality version, it's gonna make it that much better

Wamb0wneD

...Like Clockwork was a masterpiece. Can't wait for this and hope it lives up to Clockwork. Also excited for the new Mogwai one.

GeeTeeCee

...Like Clockwork was a masterpiece. Can't wait for this and hope it lives up to Clockwork. Also excited for the new Mogwai one.

I genuinely can't believe I'm getting a new QOTSA album and a new Mogwai album within the space of a week. My two favourite bands.

The wait for Friday is driving me nuts. I hate that this had to leak so far ahead of its release and we got all these positive impressions out there, and I wanna listen but it has audio watermarks and Josh is so cute and fuck why aren't they coming to my city for the tour and lalalalalaliveetillyadie.

AcridMeat

Banned
Man, I just got updated that my order of Orc by Oh Sees is delayed 2-4 weeks. :/ That album is amazing.

And QOTSA cancelled their Outside Lands performance due to injury, and they aren't anywhere else on the west coast ughghusdhguidghadsg
I genuinely can't believe I'm getting a new QOTSA album and a new Mogwai album within the space of a week. My two favourite bands.
Thanks for the reminder on Mogwai.

So many prominent groups releasing albums in this next month I can't wait. Off the top of my head there's Orc by Oh Sees, LCD Soundsystem, Ariel Pink, Mogwai. I know there's one other I'm forgetting.

Man, I just got updated that my order of Orc by Oh Sees is delayed 2-4 weeks. :/ That album is amazing.

And QOTSA cancelled their Outside Lands performance due to injury, and they aren't anywhere else on the west coast ughghusdhguidghadsg
Thanks for the reminder on Mogwai.

So many prominent groups releasing albums in this next month I can't wait. Off the top of my head there's Orc by Oh Sees, LCD Soundsystem, Ariel Pink, Mogwai. I know there's one other I'm forgetting.

Queens are playing calfest 17 in october

I really like he two singles released so far. Initially I was really only into The Way You Used to Do, but Evil Has Landed after repeat listens is so good.

Can't wait for the rest.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I've got my deluxe vinyl. By god this is a great record. A perfect blend of Era Vulgaris, Lullabies and Songs.

Just fantastic and the set itself is beautiful. Another amazing Pallas pressing. Now to decide what prints to frame.

Top Bottom