• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear White People |OT| Bet You Think The Show Is About You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a white person singing along to a rap song with "n#gga" in it considered offensive by most PoC? I've never really seen that before. I thought a lot of those songs purposely reuse a variation of the word n#gger as a way to reclaim it's purpose. So while n#gger is a word that is intended to insult / degrade, n#gga is a term of endearment? So I thought a Universal adoption of the word n#gga is exactly the point? I'd never personally feel comfortable saying the word even in the context of lyrics, but it is weird being at a party and having people cease to sing along to parts of these top charting songs. I don't mean to offend anyone, because I know I'm ignorant, I'm just curious :)
https://youtu.be/LxagtZcTobk

LionPride

Banned
Is a white person singing along to a rap song with "n#gga" in it considered offensive by most PoC? I've never really seen that before. I thought a lot of those songs purposely reuse a variation of the word n#gger as a way to reclaim it's purpose. So while n#gger is a word that is intended to insult / degrade, n#gga is a term of endearment? So I thought a Universal adoption of the word n#gga is exactly the point? I'd never personally feel comfortable saying the word even in the context of lyrics, but it is weird being at a party and having people cease to sing along to parts of these top charting songs. I don't mean to offend anyone, because I know I'm ignorant, I'm just curious :)
I gotta pick and choose my battles, I get uncomfortable as hell being one of few black people at a party and hearing white kids say Nigga while singing Broccoli or something, I don't like it, I really don't like anyone who is not Black saying it, but I don't go outta my way to tell people to stop at a party. Outside of that scenario though, someone may catch a hand to the face if I ask them to not say it around me and they still choose to

Afrocious

Though I didn't like the DWP movie at all, my friends say while this show is bad, it's still entertaining. I'll give it a spin later.

Episode 1 is killing it.

I remember Scandal watching parties in college.

"Nigga I should hit you for thinking that I would hit you."

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished watching the whole series last night. The whole thing was incredibly good, in my opinion. Obviously there was decent amount of exaggeration for comedic effect in the show, but I felt it was pretty realistic for the most part.

Just finished watching the whole series last night. The whole thing was incredibly good, in my opinion. Obviously there was decent amount of exaggeration for comedic effect in the show, but I felt it was pretty realistic for the most part.
The cops stuff took me out of it tbh

Ugh I hate when racial consciousness/topics exclusively is brought up in a white/black context. African Americans are far from the only minorities affected by racism in the US, yet they are almost seen as ambassadors of the non-white side of the racial dialogue. Many minorities relate as little to black people as they do to white - blacks dont represent all of us. So dear black people: stop acting like racial representation is a white vs black thing.

Ugh I hate when racial consciousness/topics exclusively is brought up in a white/black context. African Americans are far from the only minorities affected by racism in the US, yet they are almost seen as ambassadors of the non-white side of the racial dialogue. Many minorities relate as little to black people as they do to white - blacks dont represent all of us. So dear black people: stop acting like racial representation is a white vs black thing.

WTF....

A Black person created this so obviously he's going to discuss it from his perspective. You sound really silly to think African Americans are obligated to speak about racial issues outside of their experiences. How about they're the ambassadors of racism in America because their art constantly chooses to reflect it rather than ignore it.

This is that form of veiled Anti-Blackness I hate.

It's not and for the most part they don't try and represent it as such. It's just to many, people feel that blacks are the most disadvantaged/appropriated POC overall and they are the loudest voice in the opposition

Just finished bingeing all ten episodes. Overall, I really enjoyed it except for some of the dialogue and the African character.

Like someone else mentioned in this thread, the dialogue sounds Sorkin-esque. It's trying too hard to be witty and because of that the characters don't sound like real people sometimes.

The African character was another issue, probably because I'm a first generation African student. Besides one or two clever lines he was just used for his funny accent and ignorance of American culture. I'm kind of tired of the goofy foreigner trope, and using it shows a real weakness in Justin Simien's writing.

This is such a terrible post.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I thought this was really good. I was impressed with the way it presented different reactions to racism but took care to give each viewpoint a fair shake. I was worried at first that Sam was going to be the moral compass and that isn't so much the case. Coco was a particularly engaging character.

The voiceover and surreal elements felt a little uneven. I think I could with one but not the other. The humour just seemed all over the place - sometimes biting, sometimes absurd. The dog character was straight out of Parks and Rec. Also, too many sex scenes. They didn't add anything to the experience.

HiiiLife

Whose alt is this

Calm Mind

when reggie said "I think I got what I needed"

WkoW7.gif

+1

If you don't like black people why are you watching this show

Siegcram

Genuinely surprised how much better the show was than the movie.

Watched all of it over the weekend and very much enjoyed it.

LotusHD

Banned

Damn those black people stealing all the spotlight, how dare they speak out on their experiences and not all experiences!

If you don't like black people why are you watching this show

His post reminded me of this.

https://twitter.com/angryasianman/status/666014960833589248

When you don't get racial representation in the majority of American media that's predominately White, you start going for the minority group that's made some progress despite the numerous obstacles they had to overcome in order to achieve that.

Damn those black people stealing all the spotlight, how dare they speak out on their experiences and not all experiences!

#Allexperiencesmatter

PixelatedBookake

Just finished bingeing all ten episodes. Overall, I really enjoyed it except for some of the dialogue and the African character.

Like someone else mentioned in this thread, the dialogue sounds Sorkin-esque. It's trying too hard to be witty and because of that the characters don't sound like real people sometimes.

The African character was another issue, probably because I'm a first generation African student. Besides one or two clever lines he was just used for his funny accent and ignorance of American culture. I'm kind of tired of the goofy foreigner trope, and using it shows a real weakness in Justin Simien's writing.

Same here with your feelings on the African character. I'm first generation too, and it sucks how this aspect of black identity was turned into a joke. Granted, I'm only on the fifth episode.

Calm Mind

pfft Is this a serious post?

Getting mad at Dear White People for not also focusing on Asian/Hispanic experiences is like getting mad at George Takei's Allegiance for not looking at the Emmit Till case

Socivol

This is extremely offensive.

LionPride

Banned
Nigga it's a show from the black perspective, stop it

Socivol

It's a show about black people and I don't think in general that black people attempt to represent all minority groups, like ever. In fact, what I often see is other minority groups calling out black people for not defending them as well as if we should shoulder all minority experiences on our back.

GrapeApes

Though I didn't like the DWP movie at all, my friends say while this show is bad, it's still entertaining. I'll give it a spin later.
I couldn't get into the movie. Watched a bit and it did nothing for me. This show is def entertaining. Was able to finish it this weekend. Was going to try and watch the movie but it seems it's off Netflix.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

All Lives Matter?

RinsFury

The hell is this garbage??

Speevy

Banned
I want to watch this show but like the movie, it's just too cool for me. I need movies and shows with more traditional direction.

akira28

lol, righto. i'll bring this up at the next black people meeting/dominoes tournament. the blacks will stop acting like we're hogging up all the racism and you can stop speaking into the wind.

your servants truly, - black people.

lol, righto. i'll bring this up at the next black people meeting/dominoes tournament. the blacks will stop acting like we're hogging up all the racism and you can stop speaking into the wind.

your servants truly, - black people.
We aren't playing spades next meeting? Damn.

Bronx-Man

Banned
jr73Y.gif

Quite awful this post is. The show's point, you have missed.

LionPride

Banned
"You ain't Rashida Jones Biracial, you Tracee Ellis-Ross biracial!"

"He looks like the white guy who comes with the frame"

Damn. Good to know.

I was caught off guard by how much sex was in the first few episodes of Jessica Jones. It was awesome, but still, did not expect it.

Guess I'll watch this one alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom