• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: Behind the scenes look (video) [Up: 1080p/60fps]

saladine1

I think some people are confusing Community Managers such as Ian (Helios) and Brian with plain old moderators on a forum such as Paladin's friend.

Anyway, so nothing this week huh?
Gamescom it is then..

amardilo

Anyone know if there is going to be a LCE version available to download?

I would like to avoid discs this gen but sometimes the in game stuff provided by limited/collectors editions are really useful and I would really like the VIP membership and extra cars.

saladine1

Damn, out of the 40 cars that have been announced so far, 34 of them are cars from 2010 and onwards.
I certainly hope this isn't a sign of things to come..
Probably not.

HeliosT10

FYI all I've just re-opened that thread on the FM.net forums. The contents of the LCE seemed like a point people were keen to discuss, and as long as that happens in a civil and reasonable manner I've got no problems with the thread continuing. Nothing wrong with a little constructive criticism from fans of the series.

Paladin CL - You've got a PM from me buddy.

p3tran

Banned
lol @forza moderator reply
"if you'd spend more time actually racing, then you would not ask us for maps with tips and shit"
hahaha I had a good laugh

so, new stuff at gamescom confirmed, right?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Nothing wrong with a little constructive criticism from fans of the series.

Unfortunately that really hasn't been true since FM3s marketing campaign at least. It might be what the idea of having the forums in the first place but since Che Chou's actions and the continued actions of the moderators, it has essentially become a "love everything forza or you're not welcome here" forum.

so, new stuff at gamescom confirmed, right?

Still waiting on this weeks "big news"
hint hint helios ;)

HeliosT10

Unfortunately that really hasn't been true since FM3s marketing campaign at least. It might be what the idea of having the forums in the first place but since Che Chou's actions and the continued actions of the moderators, it has essentially become a "love everything forza or you're not welcome here" forum.

I'll keep an eye on things as I stand by what I said that in that I feel constructive criticism is important.

The big news for this week was indeed the announcement of the LCE edition of the game, which while disappointing to those of you wanting to see more of the game, has actually been one of the most commonly asked questions.

As we stated in the LCE news article though, we have a new build to show off and let the public get hands-on with at gamescom next week, so you can expect a flood of new footage from the gamescom showfloor. If I've been accurately reading the comments on this forum thread you all want to see more Prague right? ;p

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I'll keep an eye on things as I stand by what I said that in that I feel constructive criticism is important.

I know you feel that way but from my perspective the "mod squad" and former community managers definitely don't seem to have the same feelings.

The big news for this week was indeed the announcement of the LCE edition of the game, which while disappointing to those of you wanting to see more of the game, has actually been one of the most commonly asked questions.

Can't say I'm not disappointed at the LCE being the only news this week but thanks for clarifying. Less stringing along at this point the better.

As we stated in the LCE news article though, we have a new build to show off and let the public get hands-on with at gamescom next week, so you can expect a flood of new footage from the gamescom showfloor. If I've been accurately reading the comments on this forum thread you all want to see more Prague right? ;p

Oh, we would absolutely LOVE more prague footage!

Please don't do this to us :'(

saladine1

Nice to see that thread opened back up. There's certainly some healthy discussion regarding what the LCE should or should not contain. I for one agree that there should be more exclusivity than what we have now.

And yes, even more Prague would be a welcome change to more Prague.

amar212

Starts next week, the public days are 22nd-25th August.

Being a European company and being only 100 days from release, I hope we will see the new Thrustmaster wheel and learn the details about it, pricing, capabilities and final story about future XBO wheel support.

p3tran

Banned

so, gamescom -> something different than prague = confirmed. thx

we should get good footage of this. is blimblim going to be there? 8)

one more thing:

will forza at any time will stop the game and force me to connect kinect to continue?
I am talking about the case that I have kinect disabled for the system menu and the kinect itself unplugged?
do not fail to answer this please.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
so, gamescom -> something different than prague = confirmed. thx

one more thing:

will forza at any time will stop the game and force me to connect kinect to continue?
I am talking about the case that I have kinect disabled for the system menu and the kinect itself unplugged?
do not fail to answer this please.

I can't see Forza ever being a kinect required title.

It will have some nice things for kinect but it
hopefully
won't be the games bread and butter.

inb4 half of the achievements require kinect :(

saladine1

I can't see Forza ever being a kinect required title.

It will have some nice things for kinect but it
hopefully
won't be the games bread and butter.

inb4 half of the achievements require kinect :(

Like I've said before, the only time I would use Kinect is for Minority Report style upgrading,customizing and tuning.
Actually, I'd buy two Kinects just for that..

RetroStu

Banned
Slightly off topic but with less than 3 months to go until these consoles launch, when are we going to start getting a steady stream of game footage (not just Forza, i mean all next gen games)?, its quite annoying that we are this close to launch and we are not being flooded with next gen game footage.

Slightly off topic but with less than 3 months to go until these consoles launch, when are we going to start getting a steady stream of game footage (not just Forza, i mean all next gen games)?, its quite annoying that we are this close to launch and we are not being flooded with next gen game footage.

Takes a seat...........deep breath.

Let us reflect on this statement.

TURN10 IS CURRENTLY GETTING SHOWN UP BY DOUBLE HELIX!!!!!

How can a studio making a fighting game with like what 12 characters have shown 4x as much as a racing game with 100's of cars and possibly 20+ tracks?

I mean DOUBLE HELIX MAN!

screenlg5.jpg

In any case, I can honestly say WE, the community, fixed GT5. What it is today and what it was Day1 is a huge difference. From in car views of some sort on standard cars, to car balancing and saving games during Endurance races, Im certain all our input will make its way to GT6 on PS4 one day too.

Now THAT was a shit show. I was so hyped. Got the game... and... disappointed isn't putting it enough. But it has improved SO MUCH since launch. You're right, and all of it was feedback from the people.

Wish we saw that level of dedication in other games.

Turn 10 used to be famed for listening to its community. Lots of people here recommending them for 'Developers of the Year' and all that.

But I think since the franchise really took off, Microsoft has kind of put the iron fist down, ensuring that the game has 'selling points' to the mass market, not thinking for a second about us core audience, holding up the foundation of it all. Its typical short-term, 'please the shareholder' sort of thinking and it ruins things we love. Well, cant say its really ruining Forza, but its starting to go down the path of GT, stagnating and not pushing things in areas beyond the graphics.
This is what I see. And it's upsetting to see them progress so much in such little time, only to just... seemingly stop. I won't deny that I love GT over Forza any day, but GT5 and GT6 only improve so much simply because Forza kicked their asses into gear. Even if Kaz doesn't pay attention to the competition, the fans do, and the fans want new things, so Kaz listens. For the sake of competition, Forza cannot stop now.

Good luck trying to appeal to Microsoft. Polyphony obviously gets a lot more freedom in what they can do.
Hah! Their production time very much proves that.

RetroStu

Banned
Takes a seat...........deep breath.

Let us reflect on this statement.

TURN10 IS CURRENTLY GETTING SHOWN UP BY DOUBLE HELIX!!!!!

How can a studio making a fighting game with like what 12 characters have shown 4x as much as a racing game with 100's of cars and possibly 20+ tracks?

I mean DOUBLE HELIX MAN!

screenlg5.jpg
To be fair to Double Helix, they seem to be super confident and excited for Killer Instinct, it seems like the shackles have been removed now they haven't been lumped with doing some lame movie tie-in.

But yeah its worrying that we ahven't seen any other tracks yet, the main developer said they used Prague because it was the best looking track and its making me wonder if some of the other tracks are pretty much Forza 4 tracks running at 1080p.

saladine1

Well, we still have plenty of time left for launch. It seems like Gamescom should be the catalyst for Forza related information and media.

Even though any kind of announcements would be more than welcome, I feel that whatever will be shown isn't exactly going to be as exciting as it really should be.
I mean sure, we will see the flurry of car and track related footage and pics but it isn't exactly something we haven't all experienced before right?

Can you imagine however, if future announcements/media and information featured stuff such as:

Racing in rain
Racing in snow
Racing in fog
Racing in sun
Racing in thunderstorms
Racing at night
Dedicated rally racing
Dedicated drag racing
Dedicated drifting
Animated pitstops
Dynamometer

Wow, just thinking about that has made me warm and fuzzy all over..

Mascot

FYI all I've just re-opened that thread on the FM.net forums. The contents of the LCE seemed like a point people were keen to discuss, and as long as that happens in a civil and reasonable manner I've got no problems with the thread continuing. Nothing wrong with a little constructive criticism from fans of the series.

That's great news, Helios - thank you. Are you kind of in charge of the moderators over at .net? Some of them seem to like ruling with an iron fist, and it's pissing a LOT of people off. Power corrupts, and all that. Any chance of them lightening up a little? It used to be such a friendly place, but it's more like a police state over there now. Users live in fear.

PS glad to hear we'll be seeing a new environment at Gamescon - I cannot wait!

It'd be nice to see some open wheeled cars there too.

I'd like to see the physics behind the open wheel cars. They've used "physics" for a reason as to why it has never been included. I'd like to see them take flight after a collision. GT has had open wheels for years now but you can kinda bump car them against other players... which obviously isn't realistic.

Blimblim

The Inside Track

Yeah we'll be there, with new hardware too. A new camera (a DSLR in fact, but with 1080p60 capability), not sure for the moment if it was the right choice or not, and a new recorder for our old cameras that allows us to do almost uncompressed full resolution 1080i instead of HDV (mpeg2 at 25 mbps with 1440x1080i resolution).
So whatever happens, our videos will look even better than before :)

HeliosT10

Yeah we'll be there, with new hardware too. A new camera (a DSLR in fact, but with 1080p60 capability), not sure for the moment if it was the right choice or not, and a new recorder for our old cameras that allows us to do almost uncompressed full resolution 1080i instead of HDV (mpeg2 at 25 mbps with 1440x1080i resolution).

Come say hi to me if you come by the booth blimblim, I'll be there at the Forza Motorsport 5 booth most of the time every day of the show.

Same goes for any GAF'ers heading to Gamescom who love a bit of Forza :)

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Come say hi to me if you come by the booth blimblim, I'll be there most of the time every day of the show.

I'll spend most of my time in the press room encoding and uploading stuff, but I'll try to go and say hi on Wednesday (no way I'm going to the showfloor on the public days :p). We couldn't get into the MS showcase event so the showfloor will be our only opportunity to do videos of F5.

nib95

Banned

Nice Blim nice. Google video settings for it. Because sometimes it's better to shoot in as neutral a settings as possible to get full dynamic range and then colour grade after to extract maximum shadow and colour detail, if you have editing time that is. A portable Mac book Pro can edit on the fly in not too much time of you have everything pre installed and set up. Plug ins and so on.

If you're not grading it's better to pick settings that are a bit more attractive.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Nice Blim nice. Google video settings for it. Because sometimes it's better to shoot in as neutral a settings as possible to get full dynamic range and then colour grade after to extract maximum shadow and colour detail, if you have editing time that is. A portable Mac book Pro can edit on the fly in not too much time of you have everything pre installed and set up. Plug ins and so on.

If you're not grading it's better to pick settings that are a bit more attractive.

Colors and everything image-wise are great, but right now we get some mad ghosting when recording 60 fps games. Take a look here:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_testing_our_new_camera-14415_en.html
Also the other issue is that we get huge "moiré" patterns if we focus perfectly on the pixels of the screen (like we do with our good old FX7), so we have to focus on them, then slightly go out of focus so the moiré is less visible.
Still, if we find a solution for the ghosting (but it's not likely) then the quality is awesome, the closest I've ever done to actual direct-feed.

I'd like to see the physics behind the open wheel cars. They've used "physics" for a reason as to why it has never been included. I'd like to see them take flight after a collision. GT has had open wheels for years now but you can kinda bump car them against other players... which obviously isn't realistic.

I'm not 100% sure about the physics model holding them back, they've said the graphics engine did though, something about not being able to animated visible suspension. Maybe it's also tied to all four wheels wrongly using the same rims too.

Whatever the issue was it's now fixed thankfully.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I'm not 100% sure about the physics model holding them back, they've said the graphics engine did though, something about not being able to animated visible suspension. Maybe it's also tied to all four wheels wrongly using the same rims too.

My oil ridden body is ready

@blimblim. I'm ready for dat digital effect.

GodofWine

[/IMG]

probably because its not nearly as difficult to take a verticle slice from a game with 2 people and semi-static backgrounds as it is with a game where car / track / physics / tire models / susp models / sound models / lighting etc are probably all being tossed together in a fury as we type. Whereas KI is probably 99% done...its just a fighting game, the genre hasnt advanced outside of graphics in 3 generations of hardware.

KI is gonna be that game with one monster thread on gaf that dissapoints in sales. It will be the wipeout hd of the xb1.

Hmm, I do think I remember hearing that, but I also recall something about the physics... or maybe they said "engine" and I just thought it was physics.

probably because its not nearly as difficult to take a verticle slice from a game with 2 people and semi-static backgrounds as it is with a game where car / track / physics / tire models / susp models / sound models / lighting etc are probably all being tossed together in a fury as we type. Whereas KI is probably 99% done...its just a fighting game, the genre hasnt advanced outside of graphics in 3 generations of hardware.

KI is gonna be that game with one monster thread on gaf that dissapoints in sales. It will be the wipeout hd of the xb1.

You're 100% right. Hell, we know publicly from PD that throwing together a build of a game is a pain in the ass, especially when it heavily revolves around graphics and physics. Crunch time on these two sims (GT/FM) are nuts.

p3tran

Banned
thats great to hear!

Come say hi to me if you come by the booth blimblim, I'll be there at the Forza Motorsport 5 booth most of the time every day of the show.
since blim usually offers the best quality gaming videos on the internet, when he shows up, how about you film a forza special of somekind? :)

Colors and everything image-wise are great, but right now we get some mad ghosting when recording 60 fps games. Take a look here:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_testing_our_new_camera-14415_en.html
Also the other issue is that we get huge "moiré" patterns if we focus perfectly on the pixels of the screen (like we do with our good old FX7), so we have to focus on them, then slightly go out of focus so the moiré is less visible.
Still, if we find a solution for the ghosting (but it's not likely) then the quality is awesome, the closest I've ever done to actual direct-feed.
yeap, like an old man wearing wrong glasses :) but very fluid video.
make sure you get your best setup camera when you go visit helios.
you would be doing a favor to all of us!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
come on, hook blim up with some direct feed! of positano!

We have the hardware to record HQ prores direct feed up to 1080i (not 1080p60) on a battery powered recorder, but direct feed is never going to happen on a non final build of any game from any major publisher ;)

Top Bottom