• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Common misconceptions that you believed for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tall4Life

I mean, the state of nutritional science is such that everyone should have ten of these...

- "Dietary fat is bad"
- "Fruit juice is good"
- "Salt is bad"
- "Sugar makes people hyper"
- "Drinking coffee regularly keeps my energy up"
- "Multivitamins are useful"
- "Carrots are good for your eyes"
- "Don't swallow gum"
- "There are only four types of tastes"
- "Different tastes map to different regions of the tongue"
You can infinitely add "X food is good/bad for you" to this as well, can't tell you how many times I've been told wine is good for me but then it's also bad, etc.

nutritional/diet science in general can be very shady and just poorly done

Not a common one, but it made me seem so naive I have to post it. I believed for an embarrassingly long time that banks and large corporations didn't make mistakes. Like when my mom would balance her checkbook, I thought it was pointless because no bank would make a mistake with somebody's money. I basically thought big companies were basically well-oiled machines and everyone working there was motivated 100% of the time.

kboyrulez12345

Neo Member
Not sure if this counts, but I believed that Standard Televisions were still the norm until last year, and that HDTV's were more rare.

As it turns out, the opposite is true. Does anyone still use SD TV's or am I wrong about HDTV's being the norm?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This isn't common at all I'm sure, but for several years when I was a kid I thought that if you left a light switch between on and off, you'd start a fire.

Not a common one, but it made me seem so naive I have to post it. I believed for an embarrassingly long time that banks and large corporations didn't make mistakes. Like when my mom would balance her checkbook, I thought it was pointless because no bank would make a mistake with somebody's money. I basically thought big companies were basically well-oiled machines and everyone working there was motivated 100% of the time.

You think the private sector is bad, wait until you learn about government.

Xiaoki

Most of American history is guilty of common misconceptions.

Paul Revere did not ride through the night yelling "the British are coming"

Betsy Ross did not sew the first flag

There were not 13 original colonies

Most of what we think we know about the Wild West is from Hollywood

Even world history is full of it.

Marie Antoinette did not say "let them eat cake"

Napolean was not short

Ryan_09

Apparently pimentos are not the (softened) seed/pit of an olive, and are, in fact, some kind of pepper. My family is embarrassed for me. 25 years and only discovered this a few months ago. :(

Cocaloch

Most of American history is guilty of common misconceptions.

Most people's understanding of history is incredibly poor, but...

There were not 13 original colonies

this is true? Thirteen colonies rebelled and formed a unified state. Britain had other extra-British holdings, true to this day, but that doesn't mean the idea of thirteen origional colonies is incorrect.

Kthulhu

That drinking 8 glasses of water a day is necessary. In reality you just need to drink when you're thirsty.

Edit: Also I used to think herpes was a big deal. It isn't.

vegohead

Going to church is just like going to school, you aint going to learn jackshit if you're not willing to, so it could make you a good person, but it's up to you.

The truth. I want to start going to Catholic church again but I don't have the mindset yet and I don't want to "fake it" either.

Xiaoki

Most people's understanding of history is incredibly poor, but...

this is true? Thirteen colonies rebelled and formed a unified state. Britain had other extra-British holdings, true to this day, but that doesn't mean the idea of thirteen origional colonies is incorrect.

After looking it up again, Delaware was a colony but was not a state as it was governed by Pennsylvania until 1776.

Spectone

I believed for many years that condone meant the opposite of what it did and could not understand Princess Amidala's line in Star Wars "I will not condone a course of action that will lead to war"

When I was little, I thought that the numbers on the toaster represented degree of toastiness, and that they actually changed how hot the toaster would get. Then I learned they're just time.

Until last year, I thought microwaves could actually modulate their power (and put out fewer microwaves?) when you set them to something lower than high. Turns out they actually just turn on and off in cycles when you set them to less than 10 power?

For the longest time, I thought MSG causes hair loss and aspartame causes cancer. A lot of my friends and family still do, even after all the empirical, scientific proof I send them. Oh well, more instant ramen and diet coke for me!

When I was little I had two ridiculous misconceptions.

1) Kissing is what made the woman pregnant. This was because of a Family Matters episode where Laura was kissed by Steve and all of a sudden her stomach got bigger. Me being the dumb kid, applied this to real life logic and thought that every pregnant female I saw was because they kissed their man.

2) Stop/Drop/Roll. I was bombarded with stop/drop/roll tutorials as a kid that I thought that you were supposed to do that beside a fire in order to put it out (which is quite idiotic considering you're better off just getting water lol). It didn't occur to me that you only do this if you're caught on fire.

Xiaoki

Couple space misconceptions

If you are exposed to space you won't explode and you won't freeze, you'll actually over heat.

No human has ever experienced zero gravity.

When things reenter atmosphere they burn up because of air friction. It's actually air compression.

Comet tails do not follow behind the comet

That joke about NASA paying a million dollars for a space pen when Russia just used a pencil, the space pen had a purpose - don't use pencils in space.

Matt

After looking it up again, Delaware was a colony but was not a state as it was governed by Pennsylvania until 1776.
No, Delaware was one of the original 13 states. It declared independence from Pennsylvania at the same time it declared independence from the British, but it had been governed largely separately from Penn for a while.

Saying "13 Colonies and 13 original States" isn't inaccurate.

Mascot

That if you swallowed chewing gum it would tangle itself around your giblets and choke you.

I have a vivid memory of being told this by a shopkeeper as a young child. What a fucking lying bastard!

That drinking 8 glasses of water a day is necessary. In reality you just need to drink when you're thirsty.

Drinking when you are thirsty is drinking too late.

Log4Girlz

I mean, the state of nutritional science is such that everyone should have ten of these...

- "Dietary fat is bad"
- "Fruit juice is good"
- "Salt is bad"
- "Sugar makes people hyper"
- "Drinking coffee regularly keeps my energy up"
- "Multivitamins are useful"
- "Carrots are good for your eyes"
- "Don't swallow gum"
- "There are only four types of tastes"
- "Different tastes map to different regions of the tongue"

Tada

Used to believe it all

dogen

That if you swallowed chewing gum it would tangle itself around your giblets and choke you.

I have a vivid memory of being told this by a shopkeeper as a young child. What a fucking lying bastard!

Drinking when you are thirsty is drinking too late.

Why would your body tell you you're thirsty when it's too late?

Mascot

Why would your body tell you you're thirsty when it's too late?

No idea. Ask God.

Thirst is a message sent by your brain warning that you are already dehydrated. It's far healthier to remain hydrated and to never feel thirsty.

2) Stop/Drop/Roll. I was bombarded with stop/drop/roll tutorials as a kid that I thought that you were supposed to do that beside a fire in order to put it out (which is quite idiotic considering you're better off just getting water lol). It didn't occur to me that you only do this if you're caught on fire.
this is killing me

dogen

No idea. Ask God.

Thirst is a message sent by your brain warning that you are already dehydrated. It's far healthier to remain hydrated and to never feel thirsty.

If it was that big of a deal, then your body could just tell you to drink earlier. I don't buy it.

If it was that big of a deal, then your body could just tell you to drink earlier. I don't buy it.

Our bodies are imperfect, dumb things. Why do we share the same passageway for air, water AND food?

Answer: Because evolution doesn't have an end goal or perfection in mind.

that's hilarious but also i don't think it's a common one lol.

Washing... meat? What lol

I had a girlfriend who thought this. I asked her why, and she said, "Because it may have bacteria on it."

I replied that I figured the bacteria would probably be more concerned about the fact I was about to light them on fire than getting a little a damp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom