• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Common misconceptions that you believed for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuminus3

What happened?
The liberal political parties in not one but two different countries (UK & Canada) have let me down.

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't make me a conservative (I'm Scottish so I'd rather be dead than Tory). I'm more of a social democrat now I guess. If I'm going to fail, might as well fail alongside something I believe in!

Enlighten us, what is the misconception and what is the truth?

The common saying is that it started with prison rape and that sagging meant that you were available for anyone who's looking. The truth is that prisoners don't get belts and elastic in the waistbands would wear out, so everyone's pants would sag.

Essentially it was a super homophobic way of discouraging it but tons of people seriously believe it. I still can't convince my dad of the truth.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I guess when I was a kid I thought girls peed out of their butt.

They don't?!?!?!?

mind-blown-3.jpg

joking of course

McLovin

When I was younger I thought weed was a hardcore drug and drugs from doctors where good for you. Now I realized weed is harmless and has many medical benefits(if injested instead of smoking it) and doctors perscribe highly addictive opium in pill form.

Creepy

It's not a common misconception, but I thought unicorns were real for like 15 years haha.

It's just a horse with a horn right, what's so weird about that?
We have all kinds of weird animals.

I thought the guy in the anti drug commercials on the early 90's was saying POCK, instead of POT, so when I heard pot used in real life I thought it was a separate drug. I also thought all drugs were some form of powder.

Also when I was in 5th/6th grade some (in hindsight) assholes had me convinced a girl could get pregnant if she swallowed.... Yeah..... Like, wow.

Everything else has already been mentioned in this thread though. IE: blood being blue, 10% of our brains, etc.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/

It's been removed from the US govt guidelines, presumably until they conduct a study that has better results.

Don't ugh me, i was just linking an article explaining the previous poster's comment.
My apologies. I mostly just responding to the headlines​.

Flossing can still help dental hygiene, but yes, brushing and mouthwash are paramount.

PSqueak

Banned
It's not a common misconception, but I thought unicorns were real for like 15 years haha.

It's just a horse with a horn right, what's so weird about that?
We have all kinds of weird animals.

Coincidentally, unicorns not existing would lead to the misconception of Narwhals being a made up animal.

ummmm they can?

As GAF will often tell you, most cats are lactose intolerant.

That's the originin of the "feed it pizza" running gag (ie, you shouldnt)

Sunster

Coincidentally, unicorns not existing would lead to the misconception of Narwhals being a made up animal.

As GAF will often tell you, most cats are lactose intolerant.

That's the originin of the "feed it pizza" running gag (ie, you shouldnt)

Cats become lactose intolerant during adult life.

that must be why my 8 year old cat likes it but.... my mom's 17 year old cat doesn't....

post-62416-The-Wire-Wee-Bey-Brice-OMG-WTF-tm9I.gif

I thought during my teenager phase that being gay/lesbian was a choice! I didn't have anything against that though , i was fine with it!

But yeah it was a dumb misconception

Aikidoka

I get tired of hearing about how the Coriolis force causes toilet bowls to flow in opposite direction in Australia. Unless your toilet bowl is similar in size to tornados and hurricanes, it doesn't.

Ecotic

As a kid I believed that criminals became police officers because they had the most experience interacting with police officers. I think a Dr. Quinn episode gave me this misconception since the town troublemaker ran for Sheriff and everyone wanted to vote for him.

TheVBkid

Banned
Not common but my dumbarse step brother thought that people used to see in black and white. I still piss myself thinking about this.

Erekiddo

I believed as a child that if your heart stopped beating, you'd have a few minutes to say your goodbyes before your blood would become stale and you die.

I also thought that your dead relatives could see your actions in life from wherever they are. As in, doing fucked up actions or making poor decisions would disappoint them.

massoluk

Banned
I believed the "we only use 10% of our brains" thing

Vitamin C helps prevent or treat colds.

That our tongues have different areas for different tastes.

That a human being would explored if blown out an airlock in space.

I thought the science on GMO's was mixed/bad, for a long time. It's one of the issues GAF helped me get educated about.
Guilty to all these.

1upsuper

When I was quite young I thought guys and gals just amassed girlfriends/boyfriends and then proposed to their favorite. I have no idea how or why I came up with this. I guess I thought people just didn't break up ever or something.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I mean, the state of nutritional science is such that everyone should have ten of these...

- "Dietary fat is bad"
- "Fruit juice is good"
- "Salt is bad"
- "Sugar makes people hyper"
- "Drinking coffee regularly keeps my energy up"
- "Multivitamins are useful"
- "Carrots are good for your eyes"
- "Don't swallow gum"
- "There are only four types of tastes"
- "Different tastes map to different regions of the tongue"

Status
Not open for further replies.