• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how do you cook your eggs?

Riven326

Banned
Depends on what I want. I can cook them anyway I want. I really enjoy grits and scrambled eggs. If I have toast, then it's over easy.

Last edited:

Keihart

it's 2021 and i'm shaking shit up in my egg game cause i've had enough of this bullshit.

i'll eat egg either boiled, fried, scrambled, or in an omelette. when i boil my eggs i like the yolk all hard and not gooey. as much as i like boiled eggs it's just too much time + effort. you spend what feels like forever cooking it (and peeling) and then they are gone in no time.

what really was pissing me off was when i scrambled eggs they were always that shit load of water/milk at the bottom and the egg breaks apart easily. i've started putting the egg in the microwave and i'm kicking myself for not having done this before now. it's the superior way to scramble an egg. my fried eggs were usually done by flipping them over but the yolk would always end up hard. i'm working on my patience so do them "sunny side up" and just leave them to cook. maybe breaking up the white to let some of it fill up the space and cook quicker. the yolk stays super runny and it's so damn good. i put these eggs on a bit of toast with some beans and it's my new favourite way to eat eggs.

talk to me about your eggs please thanks
First, you are a heathen for over cooking boiled eggs, but secondly i'll give you a tip, when doing scramble eggs don't add salt until the end, you won't end up with that watery stuff.

notseqi

- Boil them for 5min leaving them runny as
- Break 1 or 2 into a piping hot soup I made, sometimes stir after, sometimes not
- Sunny side up to slap on a homemade burger, buttered bread (+ ham&cheese) or just to devour with salt n pepa

Never hard boil them myself, I get those from the super market as a snack:

xCbQHIM.jpg

There was a time when I thought 'man, I wish I was at my grandmas right now to have some overeasy eggs. wait a minute, I'm 28 and can make them whenever I want!'. A significant change in my life.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Scrambled or omelette, which is scrambled but left as one piece with filling.

Fried egg and sausage sandwich is a tasty treat, though.

i learned the "proper" way of cooking scrambled eggs from a chef friend. basically, you stir and cook it like a risotto. You also put salt towards the end since salt will make the eggs run in the beginning. Add some heavy cream and it will be super fluffy, delicious scrambled egg. put it on top of toast and done.

Arkam

Scrambled most of time out of convenience and wide meal applications.

Crack eggs
Add some water
Add some peri peri salt
Beat
Heat pan
Add ~1tbs Butter and Olive oil to pan
Add little grated cheese and beat one more time
Pour
Scramble
Enjoy!

Though I do love me a good over medium egg if I am going to have some bread to dunk in the yolk.

edbrat

Eggs is like the swiss army knife of food, so many ways depending on loads of other shit like which meal, what are you serving them with, are you hungover etc etc etc. Sure breakfast eggs are fried scrambled poached boiled omelette (ask someone to make you an omelette if you're wondering if they can cook), en cocotte...but so much else besides. Oeufs en meurettes, devilled, souffles, quiches. You know the pleats in the classic chefs hat or toque, each pleat used to symbolize another way that chef knew how to prepare an egg, so when you become a boss you have a shitton of pleats. And buy good eggs, the really good ones have tough shells and the thickest, deepest coloured yolks and they taste better. Upping your egg game is a pretty accessible way to really improve your eating and is an easy and cheap way to impress egg amateurs. Magic ingredient.

boiled eggs: make sure eggs are at room temp, cook it for 6min 45s on medium boil, water boiling before you put them in, after cooking quickly put them into a bowl of cold water for about 5min the result will be creamy delicious eggs.

scrambled eggs: diced long green onions and tomatoes with some chorizo so fucking good.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Have some boiled ones in the fridge usually for quick breakfast protein. Make them the Instant Pot--5 minutes at high pressure, 5 minutes of rest before releasing pressure and 5 minute ice water soak to make them easier to peel.

Otherwise usually scrambled (usually no cheese) or over easy.

Pejo

I just fry them. Op, to get the yolk right, leave them on one side longer and flip to the other for a short amount of time

Glad to see the jeep still ridin', this is immediately where my head went when I read the thread title.

My answer - over hard, but not burnt.

Mihos

Gold Member
Small bowl of water, break egg into water, microwave exactly 90 seconds, pull egg from water and put on a piece of toast maybe some pepper or slice of cheese.

Breakfast in under 2 minutes

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I love eggs but I dont really love hard boiled and I dont really like cold eggs mixed in other food.

Normally I do straight scrambled, or with some cheese. Or omlette with some zuchinni, cheese and bacon. Or simple over easy fried eggs I love.

TheMan

usually scrambled with bacon on the side, but sometimes i mix with tomatoes and onions instead. I used to make omelettes sometimes but nowadays I don't bother.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Always omelette, with some cheese, salt n pepper, bacon/ham/something similar, maybe some onion or capsicum if I have it.

Bogey

Banned
Poached.

Nothing better in life than a nice runny poached egg on garlic yoghurt with a bit of parsley oil and chili butter.

KrakenIPA

My 5 Hens put up six eggs this morning. One of these britches is double dipping, all 5 of them deserve an award, but whomstever dat britch is deserves 1st place.

I usually go 1tb butter, chopped meat, over easiums, covered for 4 minutes, on a few shingles. Oh, and lots of ketchup.

Last edited:

Tg89

Scrambled, sometimes with veggies...jalapeños, bell pepper, onions, spinach. Throw some shredded cheese in if I’m being fancy.

Overeasy with toast to dip, my go to with bacon.

Fried with some hot sauce.

Most versatile food.

KrakenIPA

Scrambled, sometimes with veggies...jalapeños, bell pepper, onions, spinach. Throw some shredded cheese in if I’m being fancy.

Overeasy with toast to dip, my go to with bacon.

Fried with some hot sauce.

Most versatile food.
That sounds amazing! I need to incorporate spinach leaves and onions into my egg routine immediately!

Eggs benedict when wife or I can be arsed on the weekend. Usually omelettes or scrambled for brekky before kids go to school. Poached or hard boiled if with a salad.

I wish I could be fucked making scotch eggs, those things are wicked good.

Scotch-Eggs-2.jpg

It's easier than you think, i make these all the time. Watch the brilliant Chef John:

Also your egg should be runny not hard boiled like in the pic.

JBat

My wife's go to breakfast is two runny fried eggs over avocado toast with salsa. I usual go with a French omelette or an egg sandwich with bacon and cheese.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Depends on what time of the day it is, if i have time and what mood i am in.
- soft boiled (6-7 minutes)
- Ham and Eggs
- Omlet

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't eat eggs often, but when I do at a restaurant, it's scrambled only.

Never liked sunny side up. You get a big oozing yolk which might be runny and undercooked.

4 eggs in a bowl, add some milk and cheese. Stir it up. In the micro for 4 mins. Then season. Instant delicious scrambled eggs

Runny eggs only exist if you have toast underneath

Last edited:
Benedict FTW!

Soft boiled scotch eggs made with black pudding mixed with the sausage meat.

Which ever way you cook them, if they're whole then they should have soft yolks, hard cooked yolks are for heathens.

KielCasto

Usually, scrambled or sunny side up. Occasionally, an omelet or soft-boiled.

I just love the feeling of runny yolk. Gives me nostalgia.

futurama78

Banned
Runny yolk. Usually enclosed in the white. That’s without ketchup. Witch ketchup, scrambled.

Could use an egg sandwich. Toast. Suh good.

GAMETA

Banned
• Boiled for 5 minutes to keep the yolk liquid

• Scrambled with pepper on low flames to keep it moisty

• Fried

• Microwaved (it's kind of disgusting, but I does the job)

Susurrus

Never hard boil them myself, I get those from the super market as a snack:

xCbQHIM.jpg

There was a time when I thought 'man, I wish I was at my grandmas right now to have some overeasy eggs. wait a minute, I'm 28 and can make them whenever I want!'. A significant change in my life.

When I was stationed in Germany, my son ate the fuck out of these. Idk why this hasn't caught on here in the US.

----------

Anyway, my answer:

source.gif

Top Bottom