• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally VR PS4 Released

So is this worth £40 for someone who while enjoyed the Driveclub demo, wasn't quite convinced by the graphics? On Pro BTW. And would be couch gaming without a wheel

Edit: and difficulty doesn't bother me. I'm generally enjoy most gaming genres etc

paulpp

Neo Member
So is this worth £40 for someone who while enjoyed the Driveclub demo, wasn't quite convinced by the graphics? On Pro BTW. And would be couch gaming without a wheel

Edit: and difficulty doesn't bother me. I'm generally enjoy most gaming genres etc

I think so. The graphics won't impress, but it works fine for this game. It's less of a relative downgrade compared to Driveclub and the frequent corners means less time looking at a blurry horizon.

For reference, I'm using PS4 (non-pro) and controller.

m

I'm thinking that now after researching a bit more. I just dont have the space for it and too many cables and stuff. VR. PS4 Pro. Amp. Speakers. TV. Controllers. Cables cables cables.

:-/ my download shpuld be done in a few hoirs. Psyched.
Get something like the playseat challenge (foldable chair) + either the thrustmaster or logitech wheel depending on your budget. A friend of mine recently got the Thrustmaster 300RS + 3 pedals + gearbox + challenge seat for about 800 USD. You can probably bring that closer to 600 USD with a G29 instead of a Thrustmaster. The G29 and Thrustmaster stands I've seen are pretty expensive for what they are (no chair) so I wouldn't recommend that. You can probably build something yourself for half the money (or less).

paulpp

Neo Member
I played/experimented a bit more with the fade to black when crashing.

The fade to black effect only seems to happen when the player's viewpoint is not towards the horizon (e.g. when the player's viewpoint is upwards towards the sky).

I've crashed and spun around without the blacked-out effect. The car's 4 wheels stayed on the ground the whole time.

One negative side-effect is that sometimes I drive over a road side ditch and the fade to black effect occurs for a split second and then goes away. It seems that the road side ditch causes the front end of the car to dip and rise in such a way that causes the fade to black effect to kick in although I never technically crashed.

Hopefully this doesn't happen for large jumps. :)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm finding that when looking straight forward I'm not looking directly ahead. Holding the options button down puts my head back on the driver's shoulders, but it doesn't reorient my head to facing forward. It's extremely annoying. I have to point my head to the right to look forward over the wheel.

What's up with that?

bumpkin

I picked up a used copy of Dirt Rally today at GameStop and decided to try the game before shelling out money for the VR add-on... I don't like it. Not even slightly. It looks good, but the races I tried are boring and tedious. I think I might have to take advantage of their used game return policy and bring it back. :(

bumpkin

In what way? Don't take this the wrong way, but do you know what rallying is?
Maybe the things I didn't like change as you get deeper into the game?

I played three races of a "Preview Event" and the isolation (being the only car on the track) made it feel dull and lifeless. There was no background music whatsoever to pump me up for the action. And I got really sick of the co-pilot calls. I muted them by the third course, but that left me in a terrible spot because it was dark (night) and without a mini-map to see the next turn, I don't know, it just soured me.

I loved the original Sega Rally and Revo Arcade was awesome. The rally races in Forza Horizon 3 are really fun too. But I understand that this game is meant to be more simulation style, so maybe it's just not my cup of tea.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

I played three races of a "Preview Event" and the isolation (being the only car on the track) made it feel dull and lifeless. There was no background music whatsoever to pump me up for the action. And I got really sick of the co-pilot calls. I muted them by the third course, but that left me in a terrible spot because it was dark (night) and without a mini-map to see the next turn, I don't know, it just soured me.

I loved the original Sega Rally and Revo Arcade was awesome. The rally races in Forza Horizon 3 are really fun too. But I understand that this game is meant to be more simulation style, so maybe it's just not my cup of tea.

Yeah. You might want to take advantage of that refund, then. Sounds like actual rallying isn't your kind of thing. The rallycross events might be more to your liking, but the major focus is on traditional rallying in dirt rally.

ManeKast

My download is done! Thats aussie internet, kicked off when I made the thread, now ready for action....so so keen. Locking in in 3, 2......

andshrew

Playing this with a wheel and it's pretty incredible.

I really hope they're able to bring it to the F1 games in future.

Upinsmoke

There was no background music whatsoever to pump me up for the action. And I got really sick of the co-pilot calls. I muted them by the third course, but that left me in a terrible spot because it was dark (night) and without a mini-map to see the next turn, I don't know, it just soured me.

Well that's what rallying is. There is no music just the sound of the engine and the wheels ripping through the dirt and your buddy telling you how to take the next few turns. Your sections are timed so that's why there are no cars around you.

I personally really want this and have a pro and vr but I can't afford a good wheel setup and don't know if it's worth it with the pad.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Well that's what rallying is. There is no music just the sound of the engine and the wheels ripping through the dirt and your buddy telling you how to take the next few turns. Your sections are timed so that's why there are no cars around you.

I personally really want this and have a pro and vr but I can't afford a good wheel setup and don't know if it's worth it with the pad.

I'm playing on a pad with all assists off, and I'm doing very well.

It's pretty damn amazing in VR. Definitely think it's worth it with a pad.

I bought this when it was on sale in PSN in anticipation of the VR patch. I've got the VR mode installed but haven't had chance to try it yet.

I've been playing with a pad just fine. I'm constantly tempted by a T150, but haven't given in yet. I can see how a wheel setup would be a big improvement, but the pad is OK.

Hasney

Locking new game modes behind vr is disgusting.

Lord knows how many sales lost. GG codemasters.

Wouldn't have bought it wouthout VR *shrug*

Anyway, for some reason, this game loses tracking quite a bit. Everything else works fine and I have not even swimminess that some people get on their setup. May give everything a wipe and a re-calibrate and try again later.

If they add in VR support to the next F1 game, the fuck yes.

Eighthours

Can you change your position in the car? I seem to be rather short!

Also, what is the thirty second countdown there for?

Yeah there's definitely nothing in this game for you. This game was intended to return to a style of older rally racing games which are actually reflective of the sport and not an arcade version. And even allowing for that the game is hard. FWIW that info was all available in reviews so for the future just make sure you know what you're getting into with a racing game - CM was pretty clear and unapologetic about their intentions with DR.

As for the co pilot, watch some high level play on YouTube - you'll realize why a copilot is an essential part of the rally team :)

RoyalFool

Banned
Picked this up, was expecting at least a modest improvement over driveclub given the various raving first impressions on here and other places.

It.. sucks :(

the graphics are terrible, even on the pro I'm failing to see how this improves on Driveclub in any way other than weather effects. it's running at a sub-native resolution, has little or no AA resulting in shimmering and poor visibility and the textures and models are extremely poor across the board. Heck, you turn around and notice half the fucking car is missing.

Whilst the full game is playable in VR, it switches back to 2D Cinema mode whenever a race is over which jarring. Driveclub in comparison has menus present within the VR world (e.g. track/cars in the background, and positional tracking etc).

The vehicle models are far less detailed, sure - rally cars in general are supposed to look pretty crude, but just in terms of texture and model detail it feels like a generation behind Driveclub VR in this respect. I spent quite a lot of time poking my head around the dashboard and exploring the interiors, So far all I've seen in this is shoddy textures and very low polygon gear sticks and feet.

Gameplay it's too early to comment on, but it's a very hard game which requires you to lose quite a lot to learn the ropes. Shame the tutorials are just videos rather than something a bit more hands on.

I'd suggest not picking this up if you already have VR, unless you already have the base game or are really hyped about rally driving in general.

Super disappointed by it.

Ogni-XR21

Bought Dirt Rally when it was on sale in the EU store when the VR upgrade was announced. I suck at it in non VR and was afraid the game in VR would not be for me either but so far I'm loving it!! As others have posted, I'm so much better when playing in VR.

Glad to read that you can indeed change the camera view. Cannot wait to get back to the game and try bumper view.

BigEmil

Since Dirt Rally was already optimised for 60fps in the base game, it is much more fitting on VR with less visual downgrades and easier and better than having to go through a. 30fps designed game to VR

ElNino

How so?

They release dlc with content for both those with and without vr......

Or

For vr only.
But the new content is only for those with VR, so it is (likely) selling more because there are some who are only now buying the (base) game because of the new VR update. This update has no impact on non-VR owners.

andshrew

the graphics are terrible, even on the pro I'm failing to see how this improves on Driveclub in any way other than weather effects. it's running at a sub-native resolution, has little or no AA resulting in shimmering and poor visibility and the textures and models are extremely poor across the board. Heck, you turn around and notice half the fucking car is missing.

If you think the graphics are terrible I think you have some pretty unrealistic expectations for what we're going to get with this first generation of VR on consoles.

Except it locks out co-op for no reason whatsoever.

Because co-op takes up a third of the tv screen and is a rhythm game. The drivers view would be obscured if using the same screen, when looking through corners is a big part of the gameplay sharing screenspace is a bad idea. It work in VR because you have your own view separate from the rhythm stuff.

Freeman76

If you think the graphics are terrible I think you have some pretty unrealistic expectations for what we're going to get with this first generation of VR on consoles.

Yeah you need to think of the console as up to date and VR is almost 2 gens behind visual wise.

Freeman76

lol "2 gens". Yeah, I was playing a game looking like this on an XBox!

It looks better than a lot of 360 driving games even in VR.

No need to be a twat about it. The guy needs
to lower his expectations, I was thinking more along the lines of PS3 type resolution....hence the 'almost', considering to most of us the PRO is an advancement on the base PS4.

the graphics are terrible, even on the pro I'm failing to see how this improves on Driveclub in any way other than weather effects. it's running at a sub-native resolution, has little or no AA resulting in shimmering

Playing on a PRO.

I've really only noticed bad AA issues on the tree shadows projected on the road, and even then it's nowhere near as bad as driveclub (that I've put a least 50+ hours into).

There's waaaay less aliasing everywhere. The distance resolves FAR better. In my opinion this looks pretty fantastic and gives me faith in the resolution of the headset to deliver something amazing down the road.

I agree with you about the details. Car interiors are pretty boring (not really codemasters fault), the textures for the interiors/drivers are pretty bad, shaders overall feel last gen. Popping in and out of VR kinda sucks between races and the game does far less graphically then driveclub.... But remains much cleaner/easier on the eyes while driving.

Most important thing, as a hardcore sim fan. It plays like a fucking dream! The physics simulation is nuts.

I think it looks fine, except that the low resolution sometimes makes it difficult to make out important details when looking far into the distance.

bumpkin

Yeah there's definitely nothing in this game for you. This game was intended to return to a style of older rally racing games which are actually reflective of the sport and not an arcade version. And even allowing for that the game is hard. FWIW that info was all available in reviews so for the future just make sure you know what you're getting into with a racing game - CM was pretty clear and unapologetic about their intentions with DR.

As for the co pilot, watch some high level play on YouTube - you'll realize why a copilot is an essential part of the rally team :)
I'll have to give it some more time... I have six more days until I can't return it anymore. As long as there are events in the game where you compete head-to-head (and see other cars), maybe that might be enough for me to warm up with it.

I'll say though, I do not understand a word of what the co-pilot is saying. The vernacular escapes me. He says "Don't cut" and I haven't a clue what he means.

Had more time with the game.

Played some rally cross and noticed aliasing issues.

In particular the red and white caution barriers all over the course were quite problematic. Metal poles with hatching and patterns also take a hit. Very similar to the type of atifacting found in driveclub.

Not sure if the resolution takes a hit because of the other cars, but the point to point races looked markedly smoother.

Still a step in the right direction visually.

I'll say though, I do not understand a word of what the co-pilot is saying. The vernacular escapes me. He says "Don't cut" and I haven't a clue what he means.

IIRC there is a tutorial that explains the co-driver terms. Basically the right/left 1-6 is corner direction and intensity, 6 being a gentle curve and 1 a sharp corner. Hairpin, acute and square are more extreme bends.

'don't cut' means there's a hazard on the inside of the corner that you will hit if you cut the corner, commonly a rock, tree or dip.

Top Bottom