• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

People are hating on this.... but I think it's a BRILLIANT PR move. Even if it doesn't sell, it has the whole internet talking about it.

By the way, I'll probably pick one up for my daughter for her birthday, so works for me.

Drago

Also I was watching the intro video because it was on YouTube front page and I saw this

PgBeP4B.png

Is this an all black 2DS or am I insane?

shink

It looks ugly. Really ugly. I don't even like the design of the 3DS or XL. DSL still is the best.
I can see it doing really well though, if the price is cheap enough I think form factor and aesthetics are less of an issue.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
....this thread is fucking ridiculous.

The 2DS is not meant to add any features. It's made to save production costs, which is why it's only going to cost $130. The reason it's not a clam shell is because there is only one screen with plastic over it to mimic the 3DS. Only having one screen with no 3D capability makes it much cheaper to produce.

Nintendo is offering a cheaper way for people to enjoy their products...LETS LAUGH AT THEM. wow

I'm surprised so many people can't see what a great idea this is...
I'm baffled. I can understand the "oh my god it's hideous" arguments (though I don't think it looks THAT terrible), but I don't get the "what is wrong with Nintendo they are out of their minds!" This is the smartest thing Nintendo could have done at this point. Bottom line is, this isn't a product for the GAF crowd, and it's going to make Nintendo a ton of money.

The 2DS is not meant to add any features. It's made to save production costs, which is why it's only going to cost $130. The reason it's not a clam shell is because there is only one screen with plastic over it to mimic the 3DS. Only having one screen with no 3D capability makes it much cheaper to produce.

Nintendo is offering a cheaper way for people to enjoy their products...LETS LAUGH AT THEM. wow

Yeah, it's like the Wii Mini...

(just has a better chance of taking off)

HardRojo

I still can't believe this is a thing, seemed like a joke back when we talked about the possibility of a 3D free 3DS called 2DS...

Metallix87

I'm baffled. I can understand the "oh my god it's hideous" arguments (though I don't think it looks THAT terrible), but I don't get the "what is wrong with Nintendo they are out of their minds!" This is the smartest thing Nintendo could have done at this point. Bottom line is, this isn't a product for the GAF crowd, and it's going to make Nintendo a ton of money.

Indeed. This is a product for the 13 and under crowd, and their parents will see the value and the fact that the "scary" 3D is gone, and jump at the chance to get their kids a cheaper, more "friendly" version of the 3DS for the Holidays.

Lothars

Nintendo deserves the criticisms releasing a product that loses functionality compared to the 3ds and charging not really any less for it either when you can get a 3DS for the same price or lower without much looking.

I don't get how anyone thinks this is a good idea.

Nintendo deserves the criticisms releasing a product that loses functionality compared to the 3ds and charging not really any less for it either when you can get a 3DS for the same price or lower without much looking.

If it sells, it's a great idea for Nintendo.

McHuj

I'm beginning to think that at 130 this thing is in almost impulse buy territory. I think this will sell incredibly well.

Metallix87

What functionality is lost? 3D? For the parents of young kids, that'll be seen as a blessing. As for the price, much like you can find a 3DS for cheaper than MSRP, the same will be true of 2DS.

Nintendo is going to make a ton of money.

Finally 3DS is able to get back into the traditional Gameboy price range.

Sure it's ugly, but with the phase-out of the original model the 3DS is back to profitability.

Nudull

Banned
That design is so damn strange, though if it takes off, then more power to Nintendo. Having a cheaper, less potentially eye-irritating option for those that want it is a nice gesture.

tengiants

...but there was nothing wrong with the first 3ds I have a 5, 7, and 9 year old that play it just fine.

They just want to weasel out of paying for 3d components and a bigger screen so they have less overhead this was their year 5-8 mini/basic model that they rushed ahead of time to make up for the Wii u.

I agree with this. They are just taking advantage of surplus screens that some android devices use I'm sure.

If this comes out in my region (and in more colors), I might probably get two or three for my nephews.

People here at GAF are laughing at this. There's a big possibility that Nintendo will be laughing too. All the way to the bank.

The core idea is good, the only REAL problem is the name... "2DS" implies inferiority and not being able to play 3DS games. They better have a big ass sign on the front of the box that says "Compatible with 3DS games"

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Fucking bought.

This is perfect for sitting at my desk at work and using / playing. As I sit my 3ds on my desk but the annoying back screen is all wobbles.

Metallix87

The core idea is good, the only REAL problem is the name... "2DS" implies inferiority and not being able to play 3DS games. They better have a big ass sign on the front of the box that says "Compatible with 3DS games"

From the looks of it, the box has a big sign on it that says "Plays all DS and 3DS software".

N2DS_HW_BOX_EUA_WHITE-518x380.jpg

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

Where the hell can you get a new 3DS for anywhere near $130?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm still puzzled by the puzzlement.

The 2DS manages to ensure that:
  1. Nintendo has a cheaper, more family-friendly price for their current handheld.
  2. The cheaper handheld price DOESN'T lower the price of their primary version of that handheld -- the 3DS/XL.

If Nintendo just cut the price of the standard 3DS, they'd be losing money. This lets them (artificially) create a "entry level" 3DS unit. I can't imagine the design will be radically cheaper than a standard 3DS, but now they don't have to cut the price of their main line while getting more units out into cheaper hands.

GulAtiCa

Where can you get a 3DS for same price new?

And all it loses is the abilty to fold and 3D aspect. Hence the reduced price.

I think the biggest thing that will hold this back is it lacks the portability of being able to put it in your pocket.

I could technically put my GB in my pocket when I was a kid, I still used a carrying case for it and all my games. I imagine we'll see similar situations with this.

Drago

Didn't Reggie say a while ago that white hardware sells less overall in this region?

Sure, but that was before white became a popular hardware color for things. Nowadays all I ever see are white iPhones and majority white android phones and whatever. Anecdotal, but still!

They should try again!

The product concept makes sense to me. Due to manufacturing costs, Nintendo is not in a position to drop the price of the 3DS. Nor would Nintendo want to drop the price when the 3DS is doing very well in some territories and reasonably well in others. Yet there is plenty of reason to think that consumers love affordable Nintendo handhelds. With Nintendo realizing that the 3D feature is not important to most consumers, there was an obvious opportunity to create a value model. I think getting down to $99 would have made it an impulse buy for many parents hoping to distract children (and many adults who are generally wary of dedicated handheld gaming), but $129 is still pretty good. The biggest problems I see are consumer confusion (rampant with Nintendo products) and aesthetics. But then, I also don't have much of a head for business, so I can't even begin to assess the opportunity cost for this product that has required and will continue to require significant investment on Nintendo's part.

Metallix87

Sure, but that was before white became a popular hardware color for things. Nowadays all I ever see are white iPhones and majority white android phones and whatever. Anecdotal, but still!

They should try again!

They did, with the Pikachu Yellow and Pink 3DS XLs. They'll likely continue with those limited editions as an option for people who want white XLs. I just hope we eventually get a Green x White XL.

And all it loses is the ability to play stylus based games while placed on a table, the ability to attach the second analogue stick and the ability to actually play games in 3D. It gains the ability to look ugly as fuck, become more cumbersome to hold and doesn't fit in your pocket anymore!

What a deal. Can't wait to get a portable Nintendo that isn't portable and a 3DS that doesn't do 3D!

EDIT: I do not own a 3DS yes, I have been waiting for a small price drop or a redesign to jump in. These changes are not what I wanted.

tengiants

You can get a 3ds on sale for $150 fairly regularly (although sales of the 3ds or 3dsxl could like cease after this). Considering all you lose for $20, it's a rather pointless release.

It might be a smart business strategy though as I imagine they're cheap to make. Nintendo has the data to make a safe bet, so we'll see.

Top Bottom