• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Madame M

Banned
Gonna give X-2 another go I think for this fine Aeana thread, I can't remember where I gave up last time but I think I barely got into it because I don't even remember how the dress spheres worked. Very excited, I hope the plot isn't too much of a turn off, if anything it's probably even funnier today. Still wish Lulu were playable...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was really thinking of getting World of Final Fantasy. Heard mixed things, and my play of the demo felt mixed. I really think I'd like it on Vita, though. How is the Vita port? Haven't heard a ton about it since release.
As I told Aeana, the demo is not necessarily representative of the game's overall difficulty and it gets much better after the first few dungeons. Many of the capture mechanics become harder, right down to "you need to slice the enemy HP down by 50% in one go" which is the annoying one. Status effects matter a lot and inflicting them on enemies help you out a ton (heck you need to in order to capture some monsters).

Granted, everything eventually becomes weak to Thundaga and Waterga in end-game, but you do get a lot of good stuff for the entry price point. I really enjoyed it in the end and I want to platinum it (I have not platinumed an RPG since Lightning Returns!). I felt like it was the Final Fantasy game I'd wanted since X-2/XIV. I usually dislike monster capture games so this was quite a nice surprise.

I was the same. I'd usually play games up to a certain point and then drop them when it got too tough, or I'd restart fresh from the beginning (and get stuck at the same part). Can't remember if the first time I managed to beat an RPG (with walkthroughs) was Chrono Trigger or Mario RPG, but it felt like a monumental accomplishment back then. Like, "wow... I spent like 20 hours trying to beat this game. That's CRAZY!" lol

X was the first FF game I finished.
Braska's Last Aeon
kicked my ass a fair amount of times.
Hell yeah, 10 was the first I finished too!

RDreamer

As I told Aeana, the demo is not necessarily representative of the game's overall difficulty and it gets much better after the first few dungeons. Many of the capture mechanics become harder, right down to "you need to slice the enemy HP down by 50% in one go" which is the annoying one. Status effects matter a lot and inflicting them on enemies help you out a ton (heck you need to in order to capture some monsters).

Granted, everything eventually becomes weak to Thundaga and Waterga in end-game, but you do get a lot of good stuff for the entry price point. I really enjoyed it in the end and I want to platinum it (I have not platinumed an RPG since Lightning Returns!). I felt like it was the Final Fantasy game I'd wanted since X-2/XIV. I usually dislike monster capture games so this was quite a nice surprise.

My one real complaint from the demo was that the battles could feel a bit snappier. I know you can hold R1 or whatever it is to fast forward, but that didn't quite cut it.

Still, right now it's $25 on Amazon and I'm tempted, so does anyone know how the Vita port is? I'm generally not a huge graphics/framerate stickler, but i guess i don't want something completely awful.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

World of Final Fantasy can get a bit of a grind when aiming for the platinum. You basically need to get all the Pokemon mirages and max at least 100 individual grids (but that can be easily done by switching the mirage type).

By the way I haven't seen you for a long time!

30 years! Wow,I guess its that time again replay all the Final Fantasies throughout the year. I really am surprised that 3D III is hated though, it's actually my favorite numbered FF. When I get to replaying it, I'll jot down why I like it.
J7AASyl.png

Andrew J.

I'll be starting a Year of Final Fantasy backlog project next year when I'm with my current Dragon Quest backlog project. Might be dicey finding much time for it with Switch games coming out, though.

RDreamer

I've always meant to give FFVIII a real try but I'm a bit put off by all the hate it seems to attract.

Give it a shot. I feel like it aged pretty well. The battle system still feels fast enough and snappy. The magic system was pretty crazy at the time but I think after the different systems we've had nowadays it's not going to feel too nuts. The music in 8 is freakishly amazing, and the story's pacing is almost perfect especially for the first two discs.

Yeah the story has one plot twist that kind of makes it fall apart a bit, but other than that it's pretty well told. There are a lot of memorable events and towns spread across that game.

diaspora

Why are the camera controls on FFXII such a trash fire? At least offer customization if you're going to default to inverted controls.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
The only games I did not play in the main series are the MMOs. It kind of makes me sad, since I'd like to be able to say that I have beaten all of the mainline games, but I don't think I have enough time in my life right now to devote myself to a MMO.

Maybe I should just buy them and aim to do only the main quests, but then again it feels like it would take a long time and feel like a grindfest.

I'm due for a FFIX replay though, that's for damn sure!

BluWacky

Ah, Final Fantasy.

I had never played a JRPG before VII; not only did virtually none of them come out in Europe, but for most of the early part of the 90s I owned a Megadrive and a Lynx (!!!) of all things and Phantasy Star never looked particularly appealing. It was the PC release of VII that turned me on to the joys of endless menu navigation and ridiculous plotting...

My stats on mainline Final Fantasy games aren't as impressive as most as a consequence:

FF1&II - never played!
FFIII - had the DS version but didn't get on very well with it
FFIV - have started this on several systems but never got very far
FFV - played for a pretty long time but definitely never finished
FFVI - finished once
FFVII - finished the PC version once, have rebought on various different systems but never really got very far again
FFVIII - finished the PC version once, as above...
FFIX - finished PSX version once
FFX - beaten on PS2 and PS3/Vita in the remaster.
FFXI - never played (see below)
FFXII - never got on with it and sold my copy ages ago, will retry the remaster
FFXIII - beaten twice, once on 360 and once on PS3 (don't ask why...)
FFXIV - I do subscribe to this but am definitely "playing it wrong" as I've barely done any story - or, it seems, anything at all. Don't really like MMORPGs much.
FFXV - hoping for a Christmas present!

Although I'd like to revisit many of these at some point (and technically am, as I have ongoing save files for so many of them), it's not likely to be a priority with so many millions of other games coming out.

All these recommendations of woff and not one mention to be mindful of the most annoying of the final fantasy the characters in the history of the franchise.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, well... If we're doing Final Fantasy Origins stories...

Final Fantasy 1 was my first. I played DQ and Phantasy Star before it. My brother is handicapped so when he was little he spent a lot of time in hospitals, and I had to tag along, or stay overnight depending on the time. So the children's hospital had an NES once upon a time, and FF1 was one of the games chained to it. (They tried to attach the games to the console or have this complicated TV stand where the games are attached to it so no one would steal the games. Yay, 1990s.)

It was a bum copy. The battery didn't work. So every time me and the other kids tried to play it and had to take it out, our save got lost. So every time we popped it in, we tried to get further into the game before the kids had to go to bed, or I had to go back home, or something like that. It was super-cool actually getting across the bridge the first time! I eventually got my own copy and beat it myself, but since I played Phantasy Star and DQ before it, I was underwhelmed. I loved Phantasy Star 1 so FF1 at the time didn't top it for me, and I felt like DQ1 looked like a much better and colourful game.

It wasn't actually until I did my Ironman Run with Noi a while ago, and replayed it again with Corvo and Noi in-tow that I found that I appreciated the game a lot. Final Fantasy 1 does a lot of neat things for its time, and the feel of an Ironman Run made me realize that.

So since the SNES days I tried to Day 1 most of the games. I think 6 was probably the only one I rented on launch or close to it and didn't bother to beat until I got my own copy when I was... uh... 16 or 18 I can't remember. I played 5 in the 90s/early 2000s when everyone else at that time did. I played the Wonderswan ports of games (yo, FF4's WS soundtrack is decent), and I'm trying to see if I can get that FF1-2 cart for the Famicom somewhere now that FF1 is one of my top games. The only FF game I have not played or tried out is Echoes of Time.

FF15 is probably the only non-mmo mainline game I didn't bother to get at launch because it didn't appeal to me, so I got through it with Noi instead.

My one real complaint from the demo was that the battles could feel a bit snappier. I know you can hold R1 or whatever it is to fast forward, but that didn't quite cut it.

Still, right now it's $25 on Amazon and I'm tempted, so does anyone know how the Vita port is? I'm generally not a huge graphics/framerate stickler, but i guess i don't want something completely awful.
Some of the animations do take long and I wish you could outright skip them instead of Fast Forward through them, but I'll take it as it comes. Having Ramuh cast his ultimate or some of the XL monsters do their ultimates still take fairly lengthy even when you fast forward through them. The thing I have to rationalize with myself is that it's a 3D Final Fantasy game so some of the animations are lengthy since style over substance I guess.

I couldn't say anything about the Vita version though since I have only seen lighting comparisons. Sorry. :(

World of Final Fantasy can get a bit of a grind when aiming for the platinum. You basically need to get all the Pokemon mirages and max at least 100 individual grids (but that can be easily done by switching the mirage type).

By the way I haven't seen you for a long time!
Hello! I got licenced, finished what feels like medical school but wasn't entirely even though I poke people with needles and examine body fluids, and am now looking for a better job!

tips for the stupid minigames so I don't have to beg Noi to do them for me because I am bad pls

Yeah, halfway there on the Mirage boards. EXP accessory + EX dungeons are doing their fair share even if it is taking a while.

All these recommendations of woff and not one mention to be mindful of the most annoying of the final fantasy the characters in the history of the franchise.
I played it in Japanese so I got DESU DESU DESU DESU

I don't think it's that bad because I've played games with characters with worse inflections this year. *stares at Umineko uuuuuuuu* Real talk: I think "kupo" not being onomatopoeia in English 13-2 and beyond is worse.

neoemonk

I haven't played any of the sequels to the mainline games although I have them all. After Years, X-2, XIII-2, XIII-3. I've dabbled in each except Lightning Returns. Maybe this is the year I finally get around to them.

RDreamer

My FF origin story:

I had a friend obsessed with Final Fantasy. He loved 7 in particular but also 6 was pretty high up for him. I really wanted to get into the games, but didn't really know how and had never really played an RPG. So, he lends me FF6.

I played FF6 for like 2 hours and didn't really get into it. Gave it back to him, and tried FF7.

Played FF7 for a few hours and got horribly stuck. I think I didn't understand how to equip the cure materials so I kept getting murdered.

Still wanted to get into FF so I asked for it for christmas. My parents, being kind of oblivious get me FFT. I was a bit disappointed but after reading the manual I got kind of excited. Well, tried to play it and couldn't get past like the 2nd battle because I didn't understand how to put more troops out.

After all that I notice a magazine my friend has. It's talking about the upcoming FF8 and I'm just in love with everything I see. I ask for that for my birthday, and I get it. I'm so ridiculously excited for this game like you wouldn't believe. I pop it in that night and just play the hell out of it. I was hooked right from the get go. After a few months I beat it and had one FF under my belt.

After that I went back and beat/loved FF7, 6, and 5. I believe it was around that time then that FFIX came out. I had it preordered and was so excited waiting for it to finally arrive. I came out of basketball practice one day and my dad had some bad news for me. He said his card was declined online so it wouldn't be coming from them... but he picked me up a copy! I was ecstatic. Played and beat that.

Then I finally got into FFT. At this point I kind of knew my way around RPG menus and so I could get past that pesky first battle. FFT would become one of my favorites of any of them.

Next up was FF4. Loved that one. Then I think 10 came out before I attempted any others. I played and beat the PSP versions of FF1 and 2, and then when the DS version of 3 came out that meant I beat all of them. I also grabbed and loved the DS version of FF4.

When FFXI came out I grabbed it at the first chance I could for PC even though I had a pretty shit PC. It was wondrous. I'm not sure anything can replicate the feeling of discovering things with so many people for the first time. I spent so much time in that game and got my girlfriend at the time into it, too, so we ended up playing a ton. I was a red mage. Before that game, but obviously after it, I always identified with the red mage job type.

I was so excited that Matsuno had a hand in FFXII. I got DQ8 solely for the demo of that. When it came out I obviously blasted through that. One of my favorite battle systems of any game. I had some really intense hunts in that thing, too. I was a bit let down by the story, though.

FFXIII again felt magical to me. Even though I loved XII, the story and events in XIII kind of brought me back to that same feeling I had growing up with FF8.

I really wanted to get into FFXIV. I was so ridiculously excited for it, but I didn't have a PC. I was hoping the PS3 version would come quickly, and I hopped on the beta for that when I could but you all know the story of FFXIV. I didn't get into ARR as quickly either because I had a lot going on in life and kind of wanted to try it out first. I couldn't do the trials because I had been involved with the beta, unfortunately. That brings me to now. I bought it just before XV came out and will be playing it more.

Just beat FFXV yesterday. It was a mixed bag and one of my least favorite FFs mostly due to execution. It didn't quite feel as magical in the ways some of those others had been for me. Still enjoyed it though.

As for some other spinoffs: I've beat Crisis Core (that ending was great), but I never did finish X-2. Beat XIII-2 and Lightning Returns and liked them enough.

RiggyRob

I'd do this, but I'd rather wait for the 30th anniversary PS4 collection that has everything on one disc.

I think I've played FF1&2 on GBA, FF4 on DS and FF7 on PS1, but thats where I stopped and I've never really finished any of them.

Zafir

I'm kind of excited to try XII again with the remaster. I did try XII a few times about 10 years ago. First when it came out in the US(I imported since Europe had to wait) and then tried to go back to it a good number of times after. It never really clicked though honestly. The Zodiac edition fixes some of my issues so maybe that'll be enough to allow me to enjoy it.

Besides that I should really finish of a playthrough of FFX's remaster. Love FFX and have completed it a number of times on PS2, but just never got round to playing the remaster through to completion.

Son Of D

Even though FF is arguably my favourite franchise i still need to play some games. After I'm done with XV I'll pick up IV. Should I go DS or PSP?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's impossible to hate FFV so if anyone is on the fence about old school FFs try that one

The story is inoffensive at worst and it's the most representative of the job system the rest of the series uses to varying degrees

Tama is the-mazing! Her English voice actress does an excellent job giving her a lot of charm. I was skeptical of the vocal tic going on but voiced it really comes off well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hello! I got licenced, finished what feels like medical school but wasn't entirely even though I poke people with needles and examine body fluids, and am now looking for a better job!

tips for the stupid minigames so I don't have to beg Noi to do them for me because I am bad pls

Yeah, halfway there on the Mirage boards. EXP accessory + EX dungeons are doing their fair share even if it is taking a while.

For the Sandstalker trophy, I followed this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jlfnybzC3I

Basically it's all about luck and there's RNG crap all over here, but with this form you can get luckier. This position covers most of the bases like if the enemy tries to escape, they'll most likely get hit by the other character.

If you want the Maduin Memento, you have to finish one stage in less than 20 turns, this includes the enemy's turns. So you can only miss 4 times.

The Cactuar and Einhander mini game is more about practicing that luck. One tip about the Einhander minigame is that you shouldn't rush, do take note that towards the end before the loop, an enemy will charge towards you so it'll take a life off, so you have to act fast here.

I think my first FF was VIII, borrowed a friend's PS1 and got to the end of the second disc. Didn't get my own console for a few years and when I did around 2000 got that and VII, never got far in VII at that time, got to the end of disc 3 of VIII but then realised I'd lost my Ifrit Triple Triad card (which I'd really gotten into) and it put me off it so I've still never finished it. Gone back a few times since but never clicked.

After that I think my route was then completed I & II on GBA, half way through IV on GBA, final tower on III on DS (got to the final boss once, wiped and just couldn't face the 2 hour trek back up the tower), DS IV I think I left the underground, was doing sidequests but sidetracked before finishing it, finally beat VII on PSP (around the time Advent Children and Crisis Core came out) and played a fair chunk of my housemates copy of XII. Then moved onto XIII and beat it after putting it down for numerous years (mostly because I wanted to go into XIII-2 actually knowing what happened), spent a few months in XIV and now on XV.

I've got copies of X/X2 remaster, IX on Vita and GBA copies of V and VI I've picked up after I started collecting GBA games but I've never got far in them to say I've actually played them. I'm intending to start on VI once I've gotten XV out the way, then might go back to some of the others (or XII if the remaster is out by then). I think my history of FF is I basically play them for ages, but rarely get round to actually finishing them (tbh its a problem I have with most RPGs)

Tama is the-mazing! Her English voice actress does an excellent job giving her a lot of charm. I was skeptical of the vocal tic going on but voiced it really comes off well.
You like tama!? The ff fanbase is lovely we're such a mixed bunch..I love it!!?

Here's to another 30 years of fighting over which ff is best

It's Viii

kswiston

I just realized that 1997 is Final Fantasy Tactics' 20th anniversary as well. Sorry FF2 and 3, I will play you after Tactics (for the fourth or fifth time).

My History with Final Fantasy:

I turn 35 in a couple of months, and therefore COULD have played all of the US games as they released. However, I didn't know what RPGs were when I got my NES, and I chose a Sega Genesis for my 11th birthday, back in 1993. I wasn't serious about video games yet, and just wanted Ecco the dolphin and Jurassic Park because Dolphins and Raptors are cool. It did let me play Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force 2, so I guess it wasn't a complete loss.

So as most people did, I started with Final Fantasy VII on PS1. FF7 started as a rental. I liked it well enough, but I think I was still in Midgar when I returned my copy. My first time trying Final Fantasy Tactics was also as a rental a couple months later. I managed to die on the tutorial level... I have no clue how, seeing as I was 16 when the game came out, and the tutorial level is babys first SRPG level difficulty. Anyhow, I thought the game wasn't that fun, and returned it after playing those 20-30 mins. However, I watched a friend play part of Chapter 1 shortly after that, and was hooked. I ran out and bought my own copy that week, and shortly after went out and grabbed FF7 (which I also loved when I had the proper time to play it). I've played every mainline game since (other than FFXV. Still holding out for the right PS4 deal given Canadian prices).

My first experience with V and VI were the PSX versions, but by 1999 I was big into gaming and JRPGs in general, so I went out and grabbed a used SNES. I found cart-only versions of Final Fantasy II and III (IV and VI) for $8 a piece, which I still have today. I still prefer the SNES version of Final Fantasy VI. The original 2D Final Fantasy IV is pretty meh, regardless of the system.

My first experience with Final Fantasy I was on an NES in the late 90s as well, but I got side-tracked after 8 hours or so and never beat the game. My first complete playthrough was during our 25th anniversary thread. I have never played through FF2 and 3, which is one of my goals for this coming year.

Over the past 20 years, I have accumulated a lot of versions of the 15 mainline Final Fantasy games, as well as some of their ports. With a few exceptions, I pretty much own at least one port of every major version of every game. Sometimes more than one port... It makes it easy to pick and choose which versions to play. I stupidly sold off a lot of my PS1 era physical games in 2001, and was forced to purchase many of them again years later. As such, I am stuck with a lot of green cases for those titles.

Just for fun (and because my wife and kid are out for the night and I have nothing better to do), here's my physical Final Fantasy collection. The digital half of the collection might be bigger by this point (most of what's missing in that pic on PSP, Theatrhythm: Curtain Call, Some Virtual console and eShop stuff, PSN versions of the PS1 stuff (other than V and VI), Crystal Defenders on a couple platforms, Dimensions and FF5-6 + tactics on android, VII-XI, XIV + Type-0 on PC, plus whatever I am forgetting).

Major omissions in my collection are Mystic Quest, Dirge of Cerberus, most of the Crystal Chronicles stuff, 4 Heroes of Light, Lightning Returns, World of Final Fantasy, and of course FFXV. I will probably grab Lightning Returns for PC when I can get it cheap. World of Final Fantasy and XV require a PS4. I might grab Mystic Quest one day. I'm not interested in the rest.

I did that long, in-depth playthrough of FF3 Famicom for the last thread, so right now I'm trying to decide if I want to do a repeat performance, or put the spotlight on FF2 instead. FF2 needs people to understand why it's cool. :(

Maybe both
I vote for FF2!

I love 3 so much, but the remake wrecked a lot of what I love about the game. So if you don't want to play the NES version (it still plays pretty well today, IMO), then I wouldn't bother.

I'm in Aeana's camp re: FFIII. DS version's bad news, IMO.

So what makes the DS version so much worse in your opinions?

ULTROS!

I must be the only one who doesn't like Tactics. lol

Well maybe it's more like the tactics genre isn't my favorite. The only tactics game i probably liked is Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time (haven't finished it though).

BumRush

Great post Swiss. Tactics is one of the best games ever made. I don't play my Vita that much, but when I do, it's effectively a FFT machine.

Vic_Viper

Going through FFX for the first time in PS4 currently. Just got to the very first Blitzball match and man is it a pain.

Did they patch the goalie exploit on PS4? Every time I try to hide behind him someone from the other team swoops in and ten I have to do the encounter with them.

Is there any reason to win this first game other than the Strength Sphere?

On to the topic at hand. Having just finished XV's storyline, I plan on playing X. Then IV, VII, and VIII on Steam (all firsts as well). Also been replaying Crisis Core on PPSSPP and have been loving it all over again. I also just picked up a copy of Dirge of Cerberus so I'll be playing that sometime after CC and VII.

Sapientas

Playing through IX for the first time right now (was supposed to finish it before XV came out) and really enjoying it. I need to see the ending before I can really comment on it, but it's miles ahead of VIII at least.

Hikami

2017 is the year I'll finally play them all. Been wanting to do that for a while.
Out of the 15 mainline games, I've only played 6 of them (though only finished like half of those).

Playing IX and XIV at the moment.

XIV is one of the best MMOs I've played in a long time. The focus on a good story and lore is so refreshing when other MMOs are just boring in that regard and make me want to skip through it.
Too early into IX to comment on it.

mrmickfran

Currently playing:

IV (PSP version) Too early to call my opinion, but the sprites are fuckin gorgeous
VII (PS Classic version) too early to call.
VIII (PS Classic version) Though I'm not really feeling it.
IX (PS Classic version) Battle system is slow af, but the game has heart. I backlogged it hard when I got my PS4. Currently on Disc 3.
XII, I haven't touched yet, waiting for Zodiac Age.
XV, I put it aside while I wait for the patches.

The only ones I finished are VI, X and XIII

squall211

This is the series that got me hooked on RPGs. I can't even begin to guess how many hours I sunk into the NES original back in the day. I still remember the world map that came with the game, and if you flipped it over it had (I think) the bestiary. I must have beaten FF1 a dozen times or more.

To this day FF is one of the handful of series that I will almost blindly plop down a pre-order for as soon as a release date is announced. I absolutely adore this franchise.

Aquova

Weirdly enough, I just finished Final Fantasy VI for the first time yesterday! I was completely enamored by it. The story, characters, setpieces, everything were incredible. I understand why it gets the love it does now. My only complaint is the final stretch of the game really loses steam, as there's that air of 'Uh, have I done all the sidequests? Am I ready to be done? I'm not sure...'. However, the final boss fight really makes up for it, especially
How screen scrolls upward to the next fight. I have never seen that before in a game, and it was incredible.

I've now finished I, II, and VI, and I'm giving myself little break before I go into the next game. I'm either going to play IV on PSP or try Super Mario RPG, I'm not sure which yet.

kswiston

Great post Swiss. Tactics is one of the best games ever made. I don't play my Vita that much, but when I do, it's effectively a FFT machine.

Ya, I think I will do a fresh FFT run for this thread, and then move on to the NES games. It's been several years since I played through the game (the last time was on PSP, not counting a few levels on Android. I had a hard time getting over the touch controls and abandoned that).

I don't have nearly as much time for gaming as I did even 5 years ago (when I thought I didn't have much time for gaming), so I'm not sure I can get through more than that this year. I imagine that I will want to play more next year than just old Final Fantasy games after all.

JC Lately

Even though FF is arguably my favourite franchise i still need to play some games. After I'm done with XV I'll pick up IV. Should I go DS or PSP?

The general consensus is that DS version is the better game, mostly due to PSP version being too easy.

Personally I cannot stand the graphical style of the DS version and actual like what I’ve played of The After Years, so I favor the PSP version.

Lynx_7

My FF story isn't very interesting. I loved Chrono Trigger back in the day (still do) and wanted more of that, so I played Chrono Cross a few years later. It wasn't the same as CT but I loved it anyway, so I decided to try this Final Fantasy franchise so many people seemed to love.

IX was my first, but I didn't get very far into it back then. I ran away from most random battles and eventually got stuck in one of the bosses (I think it was a giant serpent thing?). I also thought the characters looked ugly and wasn't very invested in the story so I just dropped it. It's funny because people often say your first FF ends up being your favorite, and while I would eventually come to appreciate IX a lot more it definitely wasn't due to it being my first. Quite the contrary, my first experience with the series couldn't have been more underwhelming. I think I even tried VI a bit later but it seemed so static and antiquated compared to Chrono that I never got past the first few hours (yes, I was a very nitpicky child, which is funny considering how willing I am to look past a game's flaw nowadays if it clicks with me).

A few years later I tried FF X at a friend's house. "Eh, why not", little me thought to himself expecting to be unimpressed once more. A few hours into the game I was blown out of my mind. Holy shit, those graphics! Those cutscenes! Dat Otherworld! DAT AURON! He's so cool, when do I get him in my party again!? And that story, it's so interesting! And the battles are cool!
I didn't get to play much and I didn't have a PS2 of my own, but it certainly left an impression in me. So much so that it was the first game I bought when I eventually got my own PS2, and it ended up being the first FF I beat. It's not in my top 3 nowadays, but I still have a lot of fondness for that game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh my God I forgot I played through FF7 FC with this patch, so I should mark it off as completed. Apparently I need to go through it again because Corvobutt was mad that I took the easier patch versus the harder patch he had to deal with!

y6nUIWR.png
SNeVw6Q.png
uH565f7.png
TSkrObu.png

SndSSjq.png
u3IqxHK.png
SFrL5vk.png

It's surprisingly... good? I mean, "good" is a relative term and people were like "wtf are you even playing do you even like your life anymore" when I went through it at the time but the skill system in this is actually not butt? The patch is here if you ever get desire to try it. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1657/. Then again I'm a hard M according to some people so maybe it might not be for everyone.

I am churning butter to make cakes and putting my tree up but I set my Ironman run up already! I might drag Noi in with me when he gets back from the party he's at so we can have a date night where we're both playing single-player stuff we enjoy for once lol.

w0PxrDm.png

It's just like our 4-man healer runs of stuff in FF14 with Corvo and Solune :V

I'm following the same rules from Red Scarlet's thread if anyone else wants to join in! It's not that hardcore, I promise!

For the Sandstalker trophy, I followed this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jlfnybzC3I

Basically it's all about luck and there's RNG crap all over here, but with this form you can get luckier. This position covers most of the bases like if the enemy tries to escape, they'll most likely get hit by the other character.

If you want the Maduin Memento, you have to finish one stage in less than 20 turns, this includes the enemy's turns. So you can only miss 4 times.

The Cactuar and Einhander mini game is more about practicing that luck. One tip about the Einhander minigame is that you shouldn't rush, do take note that towards the end before the loop, an enemy will charge towards you so it'll take a life off, so you have to act fast here.
Aw damn, it's less than 20 turns? booo. I heard someone say "clear the game ten times", but I guess that's all sorts of wrong. The qualifications are just like the Nebula minigame, then. No big deal but man that sandstalker minigame is obtuse! Thank you for the tips! Noi got his Maduin but apparently the whole thing took him an hour of trial/error.

The Cactuar game is probably the hardest one because I guess my reflexes are bad. The only thing I can see is that punching is faster than kicking. Einhander does take practice so I'm partially there on that one.

JC Lately

Ya, I think I will do a fresh FFT run for this thread, and then move on to the NES games. It's been several years since I played through the game (the last time was on PSP, not counting a few levels on Android. I had a hard time getting over the touch controls and abandoned that).

Oh shit forgot about tactics! I should make it a point to play War of the Lions this year; I was watching it on the FF Month stream on twitch the other day, and man, the new localization alone is light years ahead of what I original played on PS1. Less Machine Translation, more Game of Thrones.

kswiston

Dear Sony: Why do you give me a screenshot feature on the Vita, but not allow me to use it in PSP titles?!? You can't use the GBA on PSP excuse, because I can suspend titles. Clearly my Vita isn't switching into a native PSP mode or anything.

Prepare for incoming phone pics...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dear Sony: Why do you give me a screenshot feature on the Vita, but not allow me to use it in PSP titles?!? You can't use the GBA on PSP excuse, because I can suspend titles. Clearly my Vita isn't switching into a native PSP mode or anything.

Prepare for incoming phone pics...
Do you still have a PSP to set up CFW on? It's much easier that way, unless you want to use PPSSPP, which is just as good for for screenshot taking unless portability is a factor.

I took these with CFW, which works like a charm. Definitely the better option of the two if you have a PSP to pull out.

DCnXCfu.png
tQA87Dr.png
kQFg3VM.png

(Oh my god, I wish I had another place to document my Crisis Core run because we came up with a ton of stuff like Sephiroth texting Zack memes and Zack fixing Aeris's toilet and all that stuff. It was great.)

PPSSPP had some issues for me sometimes but it was ok in the end I think. Could've been better but maybe I didn't fiddle with the settings enough.

KingClown

To my shame, I've never actually beaten a single Final Fantasy game. I played the demo of Final Fantasy VII as a kid a number of times and remember loving it, but when I got the full game I never really got much farther than the demo area anyway. It was probably partially because I was too young at the time. I skipped out on Final Fantasy VIII and IX and X was the next one I played and enjoyed, though that fell to the wayside when Kingdom Hearts came out and I sunk my teeth into that game.

At the moment I'm playing through Final Fantasy XV and loving every minute of it so far, and I'm determined to make it the first Final Fantasy I ever complete in full, which is my first goal. After I complete that, I'm gonna try and get back into Final Fantasy XIV, which I played a bit of starting last year and earlier this year. I did enjoy what I played of the game, but I had my hands full playing a bunch of other games I wanted this year and had to drop it for a while. So my next goal will be to try and get through more of the main quest. Other than that, I'm gonna pick up Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age next year and try that out, and maybe go back to Final Fantasy VII and X when I can and complete those

kswiston

Do you still have a PSP to set up CFW on? It's much easier that way, unless you want to use PPSSPP, which is just as good for for screenshot taking unless portability is a factor.

I do have a PSP, but I haven't messed around with custom firmware in 5 years. I'm pretty sure it's just running official firmware at the moment. How hard is it to set up custom firmware these days?

I assume that PPSSPP won't run very well on my 2012 i5 laptop, but I guess I can look into it. I have a late 2014 gaming desktop PC build, but that's less convenient.

Top Bottom