• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

ryseing

15 is an interesting bag though. It seems like a lot of newcomers love the game, the oldies can be a mixed bag. Many say it's a beautiful mess of some sort.

I'm newcomerish (played other FF but never got more than 15 hours in) and I really liked it up until Ch. 8. Altissia is a mess.

Jennipeg

My plan is to finally beat IV, I just didn't get into it on DS (I also thought it was ugly). I got to the moon and the difficulty spike just put me off. I wasn't invested enough to grind. I'm going to play the Vita version, which I think is the old sprite version.

I also want to platinum VII on PS4, and then XII when it comes out.

My favourite is VIII, but i've done everything in that game and am waiting for the steam version to get a PS release.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sounds divisive, like every FF game.

At least we can all agree that FFV has one of the best Job Systems in the whole series. Hell in JRPGs in general.

Sorry but I thought V was a poor entry and inferior to X-2's job system.

;)

Sinople

Oh don't play Minelvaton Saga; it kind of sucks despite having a good idea and I was laughed at for playing it :(
Sorry for being off-topic, but Minelvaton Saga is actually pretty well-regarded. Though I agree there's no reason to play it aside from curiosity as there's enough RPG of superior quality on the Famicom.

kswiston

I'm in Aeana's camp re: FFIII. DS version's bad news, IMO.

Returning to Final Fantasy III, I wish it got a 2d remake in the 15 or so years between release and the DS version. NES JRPG graphics are always a bit painful to return to. DS chibi 3d is almost as bad.

Wasnt there originally a plan to do a Wonderswan version? It's too bad that was scrapped.

mieumieu

Returning to Final Fantasy III, I wish it got a 2d remake in the 15 or so years between release and the DS version. NES JRPG graphics are always a bit painful to return to. DS chibi 3d is almost as bad.

Wasnt there originally a plan to do a Wonderswan version? It's too bad that was scrapped.

Rumor has it that the MO disk containing source code (in assembly of course) was corrupted. But really I dont think that is a real problem as a lot of NES SNES ports are done via disassembly from final ROMs.

I like the DS version of III better than IV as the chibi style from Akihiko Yoshida translates a bit better.

I will try to play the one from my Famicom Mini this time.

PrimeBeef

Replaying the XIII trilogy now despite the hallway maps and miserable VA, the first one is still pretty good. I happened upon the 16 bit retrospective for Lightning Returns and man would I kill for a proper modern day 16 bit FF.

I got FFX/X2 on black Friday. I started playing a will ago.

I think I'm still early in the game.
At the part where we're about to leave some island Sin attack and Yuna performed a "Sending" for the first time.

Enjoying it so far, but the characters and story seem a little weak this far.

Scotia

Banned
I plan on playing FFIX for the first time tonight so I'll be posting how I'm doing and my impressions as I play in this thread later.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Replaying the XIII trilogy now despite the hallway maps and miserable VA, the first one is still pretty good. I happened upon the 16 bit retrospective for Lightning Returns and man would I kill for a proper modern day 16 bit FF.

I plan on picking up Lightning Returns once I polish off 13-2. I have about 26ish hours on 13-2. so I can't imagine there is too much left. It's so weird that I'm excited to actually get to LR, up until very recently I didn't care for the 13 mythos at all. Maybe I'm just going through Ivalice withdrawls and using anything to get by. Playing 13 this week, I'm enjoying it way more than I did in 2009.

My Final Fantasy Anniversary Goals are:
- Finish my replay of 13
- Finsh my replay of Tactics (super overpowered on this one, I play when I listen to podcasts)
- Beat 13-2
- Beat Lightning Returns
- Replay FF9
- Replay X and X-2
- Replay 12 (again!) once the remaster drops

MAX PAYMENT

FFXV is my first FF. bought it last night. Only put a couple of hours into it so far, but I like it.

I'm also concurrently playing FFVII for the first time as well.

Thanks for the thread. I'm going to play try to beat 4, 5, 6, 9, 12, and Tactics next year. Never played 4 or 5, but I want to replay some of my personal faves in the other options.

Fou-Lu

I wonder why I can absolutely love every single game in the series while some entries are so divisive for other people, to the point where they might even call some games trash?

I think in part I may just be a forgiving gamer.

PrimeBeef

I plan on picking up Lightning Returns once I polish off 13-2. I have about 26ish hours on 13-2. so I can't imagine there is too much left. It's so weird that I'm excited to actually get to LR, up until very recently I didn't care for the 13 mythos at all. Maybe I'm just going through Ivalice withdrawls and using anything to get by. Playing 13 this week, I'm enjoying it way more than I did in 2009.

My Final Fantasy Anniversary Goals are:
- Finish my replay of 13
- Finsh my replay of Tactics (super overpowered on this one, I play when I listen to podcasts)
- Beat 13-2
- Beat Lightning Returns
- Replay FF9
- Replay X and X-2
- Replay 12 (again!) once the remaster drops

I'm definitely looking forward to the 12 remaster. I remember not liking it at all. Felt it wanted to be a offline MMO. At that time felt I would rather play an MMO so I never got far.

There was a comment a few back about the 3D remakes. I enjoyed 3 but did not care for 4. I think it's because I played the 2D 4 first and the 3D 3 was the first time I played 3.

RDreamer

Goals for the 30th anniversary in order of importance/probability:
Keep going with FFXIV
Finish my play through of FFX (paused a bit because it kinda hasn't aged that well)
Play FFXII Zodiac
Play World of Final Fantasy
Replay FFVI
Perhaps finally play FFX-2 to finish?

I'm really liking FFXIV so far. The quests are MMO fetch quests right now, but they definitely are better written than some. Better written than FFXV's quests, for sure, so that's nice.

PrimeBeef

I wonder why I can absolutely love every single game in the series while some entries are so divisive for other people, to the point where they might even call some games trash?

I enjoyed them all. Some more than others obviously. I think some of the vitriol comes from insecurities of those individuals. 6 is my FF GOAT. But I know not everyone likes it and that is just fine.

kswiston

I am not as universally glowing, but I like most entries. I don't think any of the mainline games are outright trash. 13 was hugely disappointing for me, but once the game stops holding your hand and opens up, the battle system is fun. I wish the whole game was like that.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm definitely looking forward to the 12 remaster. I remember not liking it at all. Felt it wanted to be a offline MMO. At that time felt I would rather play an MMO so I never got far.

There was a comment a few back about the 3D remakes. I enjoyed 3 but did not care for 4. I think it's because I played the 2D 4 first and the 3D 3 was the first time I played 3.

I've always had a soft spot for FF12, but I totally get why it wouldn't be for everyone. The Gambit system instantly just clicked with me. I just made sure that the Gambits for the character I was controlling were turned off and I was good to go.

I'm overdue to go back to the DS remakes. That was how I played 3 for the first time as well.

Aeana

I'm not going to be starting anything until after I finish SaGa: Scarlet Grace. Probably next weekend. Glad to see kswiston and Dark Schala starting though.

Man, has it really been five years since the last thread? Thanks to that thread I beat FF3 (NES version) for the first time. Making posts with screenshots and progress really helped me stay the course, and I'm glad it did because I love FF3 now (well, mostly the soundtrack :p).

Looking forward to reading everyone's adventures.

BumRush

Part of what makes FF so amazing is that while - at their core - every entry is about adventure, the settings, characters, tone, etc can be very different. So what makes one person LOVE IX might be exactly what makes them hate VIII (for example).

Part of what makes FF so amazing is that while - at their core - every entry is about adventure, the settings, characters, tone, etc can be very different. So what makes one person LOVE IX might be exactly what makes them hate VIII (for example).

Which is why I think it's silly to proclaim FF dead and abandon the series when, say, you didn't like the XIII trilogy. Didn't stop plenty of people though.

BumRush

Which is why I think it's silly to proclaim FF dead and abandon the series when, say, you didn't like the XIII trilogy. Didn't stop plenty of people though.

I agree. The long development cycle post-XIII didn't really help, but I do agree that one entry shouldn't "break" a series that has had such an unbelievably solid history.

Sarek

FF games I've played:
FF4 Didn't really impress me, but finished it anyway. The story is very basic, but the gameplay is still solid.
FF7 Was actually one of the first RPGs I've played. Completed majority of the game, but one of the cd's had a scratch that made it impossible to finish the game. Definitely need to go back and actually play through it properly.
FF10 My favorite FF, haven't finished FFX-2
FF13 Had bought this cheap ages ago and finally played through it last month. It's a solid game, but not a great one. The enviroments can still be quite impressive. The final dungeon got on my nerves, and I absolutely hated the fact that if the party leader died you lost immediately. About half way through 13-2 at the moment.
FF14 Finished the ARR, haven't finished the expansion storyline.

I'd love to participate in this, but at the moment I don't have any working controllers. I'll be starting a new job soon and will be making more money, but I'll be saving most of that for a car and car insurance, so it might be a few months before I'm able to play games again.

kswiston

I'd love to participate in this, but at the moment I don't have any working controllers. I'll be starting a new job soon and will be making more money, but I'll be saving most of that for a car and car insurance, so it might be a few months before I'm able to play games again.

How hard are you on your controllers?

I don't think I have broken a controller since the N64 days when the analog sticks would wear out with use.

A couple PS1 and PS2 era dual shocks have that issue where the analog rubber starts to melt/get sticky after years of storage though.

Luminaire

You could emulate the earlier games and use keyboard controls as they're all menu-based.

Just beat FFXV and am working on the post game content. I loved FFXV, regardless of the many flaws, and the game has got me in the mood to play another FF game. I would do XII but I'm holding off until we get the remaster. A part of me wants to pick up XIII-3 to see the end of that story. I really enjoyed XIII-2 -- Noel and Caius in particular are great characters -- but XIII I didn't really enjoy at all. I heard there's a time limit type thing which kind've turns me off, but I want to see what happens with Noel and Caius specifically.

Would someone who's played it say it's worth it for cheap?

Enthus

My plan is to beat all the FF purchases I have made on Steam that I haven't finished by the end of the year. Right now, that includes IV:TAY, VII, VIII, X/X-2, XIII-2, XIII-3, and Type-0 HD. I've already beaten the majority of those on other systems, so I may be going a bit slowly. I'll also probably give XI another try.

Just beat FFXV and am working on the post game content. I loved FFXV, regardless of the many flaws, and the game has got me in the mood to play another FF game. I would do XII but I'm holding off until we get the remaster. A part of me wants to pick up XIII-3 to see the end of that story. I really enjoyed XIII-2 -- Noel and Caius in particular are great characters -- but XIII I didn't really enjoy at all. I heard there's a time limit type thing which kind've turns me off, but I want to see what happens with Noel and Caius specifically.

There is a timer but you shouldn't worry about it much, especially if you do a lot of sidequests. I had 0 problems with it

Phil Fish

Banned
I've been waiting to play FF1 and FF2 for a bit ever since I beat FFXV. Just waiting on my new famicom power brick since my old one blew up.

How hard are you on your controllers?

I don't think I have broken a controller since the N64 days when the analog sticks would wear out with use.

A couple PS1 and PS2 era dual shocks have that issue where the analog rubber starts to melt/get sticky after years of storage though.

I suspect the charger has something to do with it. I bought a used PS3 months ago from a coworker and was using my charger until it gave out and then switched to his. After some time the controller started desyncing and switched to other ones and they all did the same thing. For some reason my R2 button is also in a perpetual state of always being pressed down in RE4 and Uncharted 2, but not in Super Stardust HD.

You could emulate the earlier games and use keyboard controls as they're all menu-based.
Yeah, that's what I first did when I learned about emulators and played FFV after I could never get my Anthology copy to work, but now after all these years it's hard to go back to keyboard.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I know most of you play on console or portable/mobile. Which makes sense as that's where the series has the most presence. But for any FF7 fans who want a challenge, I strongly recommend the New Threat mod for pc.

It raises the difficulty without getting ridiculous and is meant for people who have already beaten FF7.

- Status effects actually mean something. Magic you may have ignored like Confuse, Poison, and Gravity spells actually work on bosses and sometimes are the intended strategy.
- Some cutscenes are skippable. For example you can skip Barret talking about his past, or Cloud's Sephiroth flashback at Kalm.
- Enemies don't just have better stats, they have different attributes, immunities, and AI too. No longer can you kill the Gi Nattak with a phoenix down or elixir.
- Adds a metric shit ton of bonus fights. Most are optional, but you'll find some new boss fights in the main game as well.
- You can disable and reenable random encounters at your leisure.
- You can set music to normal battle music or to continuously play the dungeon/town/event music currently playing.
- Adds new bonus stat system where you can greatly increase your character's stats at certain points in the story. The reason this change was made is because the mod creator removed farming Sources from enemies, which was previously an easy way to make your character ridiculously overpowered.

FF7 mods are nothin' new but I give this one 2 thumbs up. It's just really well done. You can find the mod here if you're interested. It's still being continuously updated and worked on to this day but the build that exists now is perfectly fine in its own right. The guy has been working on it for years.

I plan to pick up XV when the price is right and I'm ready for a lengthy experience. I've never played an FF game besides a few hours of 7 when it first released, but something about XV is really calling to me - it started with the Platinum demo which I really liked. I'm excited to finally break into the series but also a little worried that I feel totally lost or in over my head.

Fou-Lu

I enjoyed them all. Some more than others obviously. I think some of the vitriol comes from insecurities of those individuals. 6 is my FF GOAT. But I know not everyone likes it and that is just fine.

I am not as universally glowing, but I like most entries. I don't think any of the mainline games are outright trash. 13 was hugely disappointing for me, but once the game stops holding your hand and opens up, the battle system is fun. I wish the whole game was like that.

Good to hear! I agree on FFXIII kswiston, it was disappointing despite the fact that I still greatly enjoyed it. I will always think Hope has some of the better character development in the series despite the vitrol he gets.

This is totally true, but I guess I am glad that one of the reasons I love the games is because of those differences. I think it is really cool to see that we can have wildly different games that still share themes, monsters, jobs, spells, etc. from across the series.

This is a problem across the entire gaming community. People love to declare a series dead when they don't like an entry. It's made even more ridiculous when stated for huge series like Final Fantasy or Zelda.

It's a very interesting game. Good and challenging combat system. Large open maps to explore. Time mechanic that ultimately for me was pretty cool (although a little stressful because at one point I was worried I wouldn't finish the game in time, but that's to the systems credit). Some surprisingly decent side quests. The ability to wipe out a species of monsters from the world. And more than anything else a very atmospheric experience that in a lot of ways feels like few other games other than Majoras Mask or Nier. And it's fun to dress up Lightning lol.

The story has its hits and misses, but yeah for cheap I would definitely recommend it just as an unique game. Get a guide if you are worried about the time.

Edit: it was the most I got my ass kicked in a Final Fantasy game, which has actually come back a few times in XV.

Vic_Viper

Going through FFX for the first time in PS4 currently. Just got to the very first Blitzball match and man is it a pain.

Did they patch the goalie exploit on PS4? Every time I try to hide behind him someone from the other team swoops in and ten I have to do the encounter with them.

Is there any reason to win this first game other than the Strength Sphere?

(Repost from earlier/another thread)

Going through endgame content in FFXV. I absolutely loved XV, think it beats MGSV as my favorite game this gen so far.

Very nice thread. I'm on holiday so have limited time for posting, but will certainly weigh in as I go through FF VI Brave New World (In the middle of Sabin's post-raft journey, always one of my favorite parts of the game). Not crazy about the script mods so far, but the combat tweaks are interesting. Definitely requires a more tactical approach, which is welcome after 20 trips through the regular game. I don't think I would have wanted this to be my first trip through though -- I actually liked how easy the game was because i could play w/ whichever characters using whatever setup I felt like (spent a lot of time waiting for Cyan's techs to fill).

VI has been my favorite for ages. I played 1 and 4 at release, but at friends' houses, so never completed. Friends and I rented a SNES and VI when it came out, dumped 30 hours into it over one weekend (playing in shifts, got stuck on the floating continent -- couldn't find the path to proceed as opposed to going back to airship). I was totally hooked. Terra's and Setzer's themes were playing in my head nonstop for months, and I was constantly irritating my (totally not into games) family by nattering on about it.

Eventually bought the cart, and borrowed SNESs from a few friends to play the game over a few months. I lvl 99d everyone in the Dinosaur forest, beat Chupon in the colliseum, turned Odin into Raiden, etc. This was before the internet, and VI was at that sweet spot of size and complexity where it was big, but you realistically COULD find every secret if you were persistent. My parents were not cool w/ my playing video games, so most of this was late at night w/ the sound turned way down in my room, or on rare sick days.

Why did/do I love this game so much? There are lots of things I like about it -- fantastic music, still my favorite Uematsu score, great sprite artwork, an engaging (albeit easy battle system). But the heart of it is the characters and the arc of the plot. Because it's not TOO big, they were able to manage the pace of the game very effectively. You're constantly going somewhere new, meeting someone new, gaining a new (or old) character, getting new interesting relics or weapons, and the whole time the overarching plot keeps humming along. The characters are your window to the weight of the plot. The way it affects them shows you how it affects everyone in the world, even if most of that world is copy-pasted town designs filled with a few sprites. This works because each character is so grounded in the story, with their own arc, history, secrets to discover. This is what I most want in RPGs, character, gameplay, and story to all come together harmoniously and take you on an unpredictable but engaging journey. So few get the balance right I think.

All these years later, I still play each new FF at launch -- it's the only constant in my intermittent gaming history. I've enjoyed all of them, but only 4, 6, 7, 9, and 10 have given me that real feeling of a meaningful journey most or all the way through. The newer games are beautiful and engagingly designed, but there's been too much focus on combat and dungeon exploring, and not enough on core story arc and how it intersects with the characters' place in their world. I'd thought Versus XIII might return us to that, but, as fun as XV is, clearly not. Perhaps VIIR? Since the original was second only to VI in building a big unpredictable journey around meaningfully embedded characters, I have hope. Of course, if they can't deliver that again my hope may begin to fade somewhat.

There is a timer but you shouldn't worry about it much, especially if you do a lot of sidequests. I had 0 problems with it

It's a very interesting game. Good and challenging combat system. Large open maps to explore. Time mechanic that ultimately for me was pretty cool (although a little stressful because at one point I was worried I wouldn't finish the game in time, but that's to the systems credit). Some surprisingly decent side quests. The ability to wipe out a species of monsters from the world. And more than anything else a very atmospheric experience that in a lot of ways feels like few other games other than Majoras Mask or Nier. And it's fun to dress up Lightning lol.

The story has its hits and misses, but yeah for cheap I would definitely recommend it just as an unique game. Get a guide if you are worried about the time.

Edit: it was the most I got my ass kicked in a Final Fantasy game, which has actually come back a few times in XV.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll give it try. Hopefully I can find a cheap copy at Gamestop when I'm out today :)

Jennipeg

I got FFX/X2 on black Friday. I started playing a will ago.

I think I'm still early in the game.
At the part where we're about to leave some island Sin attack and Yuna performed a "Sending" for the first time.

Enjoying it so far, but the characters and story seem a little weak this far.

Yeah your still pretty early, i'd say your still in the 'scene setting' stage. I remember the first time I saw the sending, it was pretty spectacular at the time and still holds up.

X is a slow build in terms of story, it gradually pulls you in and thankfully doesn't fall on it's face at the end.

LR has an incredibly fun battle system and oddly addicting sidequests. Its battle system is unlike its predecessors, so be ready for some adjustment. Battles are as fun as X-2's, if not more so. The rest of the game needs a ton of polish, unfortunately, and you can forget focusing on what little plot there is in the game. Just enjoy the ride.

Yeah your still pretty early, i'd say your still in the 'scene setting' stage. I remember the first time I saw the sending, it was pretty spectacular at the time and still holds up.

X is a slow build in terms of story, it gradually pulls you in and thankfully doesn't fall on it's face at the end.

Yes, agreed. I think the first 2 or 3 hours of X are the worst. The Tidus-only opening in particular I found disjointed and weird. Besaid is a great location, but the story really didn't kick in for me until they begin their journey.

Fou-Lu

I wish I had played FF6 when I was younger. I still love the hell out of it and think it is one of the best games in the franchise, but I think if I had played it before VII and IX it would have absolutely blown me away.

Vic_Viper

What is the benefit of winning the first Blitzball game? Other than the Strength Sphere, is there any reason to win story wise? Having trouble getting the goalie exploit to work, think it's been patched on PS4.

Jennipeg

What is the benefit of winning the first Blitzball game? Other than the Strength Sphere, is there any reason to win story wise? Having trouble getting the goalie exploit to work, think it's been patched on PS4.

A trophy if you care about that type of thing. I think I managed it once, it's pretty difficult at this point, the game seems to have it's own version of maths.

Yes, agreed. I think the first 2 or 3 hours of X are the worst. The Tidus-only opening in particular I found disjointed and weird. Besaid is a great location, but the story really didn't kick in for me until they begin their journey.

I'd agree with that, it is disjointed on a first play through in particular. It's a great one to replay as everything has more weight, you also pay attention to little hints about
Yuna's fate, seeing her say goodbye is so emotional when you know
. Besaid is where I started to feel in safe hands. Shit get's real at Mi'hen and it had me hooked from there.

Top Bottom