• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Vic_Viper

A trophy if you care about that type of thing. I think I managed it once, it's pretty difficult at this point, the game seems to have it's own version of maths.

Ok thank you so much! Was worried you had to win story wise or to get to play the optional Blitzball stuff later in the game.

I wish I had played FF6 when I was younger. I still love the hell out of it and think it is one of the best games in the franchise, but I think if I had played it before VII and IX it would have absolutely blown me away.

I think it would indeed have had less impact for me if playing the PS1 games first. The spectacle is really limited, but was enough in the 16 bit era to do the job. Also, the locations are so much more planned out and believable in the PS1 games.

The things I'd still say go pound for pound against the modern games are spell effects (why haven't we got spells in 20 years that top Ultima? And why is it so hard for the other games to make the upgraded elemental spells REALLY feel powered up?) and the OST. Simple as the midi instrumentation is, it just really works.

I'd agree with that, it is disjointed on a first play through in particular. It's a great one to replay as everything has more weight, you also pay attention to little hints about
Yuna's fate, seeing her say goodbye is so emotional when you know
. Besaid is where I started to feel in safe hands. Shit get's real at Mi'hen and it had me hooked from there.

Definitely has a lot more weight on a second playthrough! Even the really weird stuff where Tidus is chilling by himself in that cold temple...

CLBridges

I'm still working my way through post game on FFXV. Still subbed to FFXIV and just got my first floor 100 clear in deep dungeon. I've been itching to replay 7, so I think I'll get that on PSN as a Christmas present to me.

I really do hope SE releases a FF13 trilogy on ps4. I want to replay them just to see if my opinion will stay the same after all these years on 13 and 13-2. I'll even give LR a chance if that happens.

Ran rp

somebody explain the ps4 tax to me

moedzh.png

Fou-Lu

I think it would indeed have had less impact for me if playing the PS1 games first. The spectacle is really limited, but was enough in the 16 bit era to do the job. Also, the locations are so much more planned out and believable in the PS1 games.

The things I'd still say go pound for pound against the modern games are spell effects (why haven't we got spells in 20 years that top Ultima? And why is it so hard for the other games to make the upgraded elemental spells REALLY feel powered up?) and the OST. Simple as the midi instrumentation is, it just really works.

Definitely, the OST is incredible and I love those animations.

One thing I love about FF6 that I'd like to see happen again is the ensemble cast. For a large part of the game you have multiple parties that give you different scenarios to play and it's exciting!

PSY・S;226805920 said:

Well, it does actually look a lot better on PS4 then PS3. Impressively so.

Kid Heart

Glad to see Final Fantasy getting some love around here. Overall it's probably my favorite JRPG series of all time. (Well, either that or Pokemon if you couldn't tell by the avatar.)

I've been a big fan of Final Fantasy ever since I was a kid. My love first started when I watched my friends play the PS1 games as well as FF X, which had just come out at the time. Since I personally didn't own any Playstation consoles way back then I started out playing Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy I & 2 on the GBA. I bought IV and V once they started to roll out afterwards and immensely enjoyed myself.

Once I finally got a PS1 I bought FF VIII, and to this day it still remains my personal favorite entry. Even though the game has fallen out of favor as of late, I still have a blast playing through it. While I admit the plot is easily the games weakest element, I feel it still has enough strong points to overcome that flaw. I love the customization that the game's battle system offers for your characters. The art style I feel is Nomura at his best, while Uematsu's music is in my opinion the best he's ever done. The game I feel has a pretty great sense of a humor, and I like Squall's personal journey of self discovery. I enjoy watching him turn from an aloof individual into a leader capable of opening up to others. I know it's an extremely divisive entry, but I always recommend people at least give it a go to see if it is for them or not.

Since my younger days I've made it my goal to try and play every numbered FF game (as well as some of the side titles like the rest of the Tactics series, the lightning trilogy, X-2 and the Crystal Chronicles series.) Since VIII I've completed III, X, XII, and XIII. I've also completed Chrystal Chronicles for the Gamecube, and played a bit of Dissidia for the PSP.

After owning FF IX for about a decade I finally completed it this week. It's a very solid title, although a bit difficult on your first run through. Now I just need to complete VI and VII which have been sitting on my shelf for about 7 years. >>

My goal for next year is to knock out at least one of those two, as well as XV once it arrives.

I am going to be playing FF14. This will be my first time playing FF14. As a matter of fact, it will be my first time playing an MMO period!

I know some about the game's development history but basically nothing about the game itself. I expect questions/comments on mechanics/UI issues that everyone else has been living with for decades will form a large part of my posts.

I doubt I'll be able to play much before next week, but maybe I can roll a character later tonight.

Happy playing, everyone!

Definitely, the OST is incredible and I love those animations.

One thing I love about FF6 that I'd like to see happen again is the ensemble cast. For a large part of the game you have multiple parties that give you different scenarios to play and it's exciting!

Yeah, I'm a big fan of ensemble casts! Part of why I've always loved Suikoden so much....

There are interesting things that can be done with smaller more intimate parties, but it's been a long time since FF has really gone for broke on the cast size/diversity.

Jennipeg

Glad to see Final Fantasy getting some love around here. Overall it's probably my favorite JRPG series of all time. (Well, either that or Pokemon if you couldn't tell by the avatar.)

I've been a big fan of Final Fantasy ever since I was a kid. My love first started when I watched my friends play the PS1 games as well as FF X, which had just come out at the time. Since I personally didn't own any Playstation consoles way back then I started out playing Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy I & 2 on the GBA. I bought IV and V once they started to roll out afterwards and immensely enjoyed myself.

Once I finally got a PS1 I bought FF VIII, and to this day it still remains my personal favorite entry. Even though the game has fallen out of favor as of late, I still have a blast playing through it. While I admit the plot is easily the games weakest element, I feel it still has enough strong points to overcome that flaw. I love the customization that the game's battle system offers for your characters. The art style I feel is Nomura at his best, while Uematsu's music is in my opinion the best he's ever done. The game I feel has a pretty great sense of a humor, and I like Squall's personal journey of self discovery. I enjoy watching him turn from an aloof individual into a leader capable of opening up to others. I know it's an extremely divisive entry, but I always recommend people at least give it a go to see if it is for them or not.

Since my younger days I've made it my goal to try and play every numbered FF game (as well as some of the side titles like the rest of the Tactics series, the lightning trilogy, X-2 and the Crystal Chronicles series.) Since VIII I've completed III, X, XII, and XIII. I've also completed Chrystal Chronicles for the Gamecube, and played a bit of Dissidia for the PSP.

After owning FF IX for about a decade I finally completed it this week. It's a very solid title, although a bit difficult on your first run through. Now I just need to complete VI and VII which have been sitting on my shelf for about 7 years. >>

My goal for next year is to knock out at least one of those two, as well as XV once it arrives.

Yes, yes and yes! I fully agree with your assessment of VIII. My favourite game in general not just within FF. It also has the GOAT intro and ending. I think I would burst into tears if they ever remade it, though I doubt they would choose this one.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wow, using Drain on an undead enemy in FFIV damages the caster lol. Never knew that. Probably cuz I never use the Drain spell in any of these games until now. And when I finally do this happens.

PSY・S;226805920 said:

moedzh.png

Don't pull the trigger on that! Hilarious price.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sorry for being off-topic, but Minelvaton Saga is actually pretty well-regarded. Though I agree there's no reason to play it aside from curiosity as there's enough RPG of superior quality on the Famicom.
Yeah, that's why I played it. I think around that time, I decided I was going to play every NES/Famicom RPG so I could round out my repertoire. Which I did; I completed that entire generation, so now I have the PS1 generation to do on the JP only side. I have been busy and never had time for it, but someone pokes me with a "play Growlanser 1 JP stick" every now and then.

It does have a few good ideas and it would've been considered really cool at the time, but playing it in... what was it, 2014? Playing it in 2014 made it not feel so fresh. Also Aeana laughed at meeeeeeee. Silva Saga ended up being better; really enjoyable.

Thanks. I am learning that taking screenshots for a planned narrative requires a good deal of forethought.
Ahaha, it makes me pine for the days when I did the 4/MQ stuff and I was still in university. Well, not really because I'm glad I'm finished with that stuff, but you know. I used to be able to stay up to write those out but I can't really do that now. I did have a bigger narrative planned out for FF1 and it was going to be cool but I felt it wasn't going to pan out here.

But I love trying to write out stuff for a planned narrative. I really enjoyed writing what I did for my FF4 playthrough in the old thread cuz I had just found my footing for the FFMQ playthrough near the end.

The Big Deal I see that FF1 has is that, like its counterparts of the era and even its predecessors, it's very heavily rooted in DnD and PnP RPGs. Actual role-playing is a very significant part of it. You can make up the stories for the characters you select as you go along even if there is a slightly guided story in there. It''s one of the things I did for Ultima and Wizardry and Magic: The Gathering and DnD and whatever else I played in my lifetime. It's why I can look at 8-Bit Theatre and laugh. It's why I can have a really good time in FFXIV with my friends, my group, and people in my Linkshells (or even random weddings and parties I can attend in-game). It's why I get a kick out of commissioning art, looking at people make statuettes of their characters in MMOs or for PnP RPGs/board games, or people being outright creative with characters they made or outright love if the character is premade. People have wide imaginations and they can do or think anything with it. Heck FF1 is outright lifted from the first edition of DnD so lol. It's too bad that my original idea wasn't gonna pan out but I'll still post parts of the playthrough here.

I had a pretty fun discussion with Corvo a while back about DnD and Final Fantasy. Even if the characters are premade you're still playing a role. I don't like just sitting back and experiencing a story; I like knowing that I am playing a role in the game. I chuckled to him and said that when I was little, I used to change the onscreen character to Rydia because that was the "role" I wanted to focus on even if I didn't have maximum agency for that character or job class. He chose to cement his focus on Cecil because that was the role he chose since the job class fit his style. I suppose that as years went by, it became slightly less about choosing to play a role and more about experiencing a story. But because I played PnP RPGs and Magic the Gathering and stuff as a kid, my primary focus for role-playing video game didn't really go away. It's why I'll take the extra time to whine about mechanics or numbers or balancing or game design while thinking about the role I have in a narrative no matter if I play as a male, female, cyborg, whatever.

I would encourage people to take a look at the last thread and see how people went through their games and updated folks, though. Jucksalbe had a really good summary post near the end of almost everyone's playthroughs: one, two, three, four, five, six. Even the Zelda anniversary thread, and the SMT anniversary thread from 2011/2012 were pretty good. I wanna see more people writing huge posts about playing.

Wow, using Drain on an undead enemy in FFIV damages the caster lol. Never knew that. Probably cuz I never use the Drain spell in any of these games until now. And when I finally do this happens.

Yeah, it's just like healing magic on the undead; since its intent is to heal the user, it will have the opposite effect (in this case damage to you). It also misses when you cast it on yourself.

For some reason, I've noted, its accuracy is lower in the 3DS version. Probably 70-80% versus the 100% in the 2D versions. I do think the potency is still the same as regular 2D versions that isn't EasyType, though. EasyType was potency 80 which is like what why and then I remember why.

jb1234

I've made it to the Sunken Shrine in FF1, about five hours. I'm so bored of this game. I should have gotten the PSX version instead, just so there is some difficulty.

Current FF plans for 2017: Finish FF1, first play of FF2, replays of FF6, FF7, FFX and the remaster of FFXII.

Lanf

I'll join the celebration. Planning to replay VII for the first time in a decade and in anticipation of the remake of course. I'll probably play the PC version and use a bunch of mods (graphics/audio - no gameplay). Very curious to see how it holds up.

Did partly-playthroughs of VIII and IX earlier this year, and while I still enjoyed them I also realized that I was regarding both with heavy nostalgia. Don't know how much I would like them if they were released today.

Playing through XV right now so that's been getting my time. I do wish to finally play IV and finish VI sometime soon.

I've completed VII, IX, X, and XIII (and XIII-2 but who cares lol)

Only thing that's been stopping me from VI is that the only version I have is the ps1 disc... yeah.

I also have the VIII ps1 classic but it didn't grab me after a couple hours. One day I'll get back to it.

kierwynn

I always forget Final Fantasy came out the year I was born so we're the same age! lol

I've played every mainline FF game (well except XV which is a wip because I had to let my husband play it first), and my goal for 2017 is to play through as many of them again as possible. (I was going to try to do that in 2016 but I didn't get a chance but it works out I guess.)

I really wish the PSP anniversary editions of FF1 and 2 were on NA PSN so I wouldn't have to try and hunt down my PSP. lol

Aeana

I always forget Final Fantasy came out the year I was born so we're the same age! lol

I've played every mainline FF game (well except XV which is a wip because I had to let my husband play it first), and my goal for 2017 is to play through as many of them again as possible. (I was going to try to do that in 2016 but I didn't get a chance but it works out I guess.)

I really wish the PSP anniversary editions of FF1 and 2 were on NA PSN so I wouldn't have to try and hunt down my PSP. lol

Play the PSX versions instead! They're available as PS1 Classics on PSN.

MAX PAYMENT

Wow FF games are weird. Just got to chapter 2 in XV. Liking it.

Edit: the car kind of sucks though.

Are there speed upgrades?

I'm in. Been too long since I played some of these games; I try to run through the PSX games at least every couple of years, but now's as good a time as any to start a full series playthrough. Don't think I'll be touching most of the spinoffs, though.

It's too hard to definitively rank the ones I've played, so here are my groupings:

God Tier
FFV
FFVII
FFIX
FFXII
FFXV
FF Tactics

Good Tier
FFIV
FFVI
FFVIII
FFX

Meh Tier
FFX-2
FFXIII
FFXIII-2
FFXII: Revenant Wings
Lightning Returns

Haven't Played Tier
FFI (played a few hours of one of the remakes, the PSP one I think)
FFII
FFIII
FFXI
FFXIV
All the other spinoffs

I really need to play I-III and the MMOs. I think I'd really enjoy XIV, based on the impressions I've read, but every time I see a screenshot of that cluttered HUD it just scares me off. What the hell am I supposed to be looking at? How do I keep track of everything on the screen!?

No, I don't usually play MMOs.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've made it to the Sunken Shrine in FF1, about five hours. I'm so bored of this game. I should have gotten the PSX version instead, just so there is some difficulty.

Current FF plans for 2017: Finish FF1, first play of FF2, replays of FF6, FF7, FFX and the remaster of FFXII.
I hope you get something out of FF2. I taught my boyfriend how to play it like a normal person and he came out enjoying it a lot. Never forget that the Blood Sword is your best friend during the final boss~. If you're doing it for the first time and mostly want to experience the story, go for PSP/GBA. If you want good balancing, I'd go PSX. I genuinely love FF2; it's one of my faves and the ideal situation is more people feeling that way.

I only play FF1 PSP if I really want to get through the game quickly and low level the whole thing. It's kind of hard to do because the version is so faceroll, too! tbf, FF1 is short so if you wanted, you could theoretically try the PSX versions after...

But since I'm convinced to kick my own ass I went NES for this ironman run. I wouldn't recommend the NES version to anyone unless they want to suffer through
Ineffective
Ineffective
Ineffective
Ineffective

like i am

right now

it's sad

Wow FF games are weird. Just got to chapter 2 in XV. Liking it.

Edit: the car kind of sucks though.

Are there speed upgrades?
Yuppers. Requires a minigame and some of Cindy's quests after you do the Power of Kings quest I think. You're looking for the Supercharger which is from Cindy's The Ever Valorous Regalia quest or something like that. I think it's Chapter 7, though. After that you get another speedboost item which is the Turbocharger from the Tostomonstro minigame in Chapter 9 for 15k medals.

Keep doing Cindy's quests as they come up, though.

I really need to play I-III and the MMOs. I think I'd really enjoy XIV, based on the impressions I've read, but every time I see a screenshot of that cluttered HUD it just scares me off. What the hell am I supposed to be looking at? How do I keep track of everything on the screen!?

No, I don't usually play MMOs.

There is an option to configure the HUD in the menu. You can take some of that stuff off. I do it because I play several jobs that I feel requires me to see what's going on in the back of me lol.

Heropon

That's pretty cool. Meanwhile I share year with Sonic the Hedgehog, which is cool but I don't know, maybe next year I'm more proud of it, lol. It also seems that FF4 was released the day after I was born, ugh. Why couldn't it be another one?

I really really wish I could erase my memories of FF games and replay them fresh.

I wonder how I'd think about them if I experienced them for the first time now that I'm not a kid/teenager. I suppose it wouldn't be that different because my opinion has changed over the years but I'm still unsure how much my first experiences still affect my enjoyment of them.

Hmm... I'll probably try to replay 4/6/9/12 this year. I doubt I'll have time for more than that.

I'd do 7 as well, but if there's a chance of the remake actually coming out in 2017 I'd rather hold off.

Aeana

Since this boss in SaGa: Scarlet Grace is ruining my life, I think I'll go ahead and start my FF2 run. I'm not doing FF1 since I just played that somewhat recently and I'm not very eager to do it again.

Josh5890

(What system(s) I own it for)

I-(PSP) Finished
II- (PSP) Finished
III-(DS) 10 hours in. Stuck in Temple of Wind (I think)
IV-(PS1,PSP) Started on PS1, I never played more than five minutes
V-(PS1) Never touched
VI- (PS1) Never touched
VII- (PS1,PS1 download) I think I played most of disc 1, but that was it. It has been years.
VIII-(PS1) This has been an adventure itself going back to 2008. I played it up to midway through disc 2 then the save was corrupted. I restarted a year later. I made it to disc 3 then for whatever reason I never came back. Restarted again in 2013/14. I made it to the beginning of disc 4 and then I got the boss battle where
Riona was being hit by my attacks
. I realized that I leveled up all wrong the entire time. I haven't touched it since I feel like I'm destined to never finish it.
IX- (PS1) Never touched
X-(PS2) Never touched
XII-(PS2) Played for the first couple of hours
XIII-(PS3) Finished after five years on and off
XV- Hoping I get this for Christmas

With this being the 30th anniversary coming up I might give a better push with some of these games.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Found my GBA SP (still charged up after at least a year in a box).

Starting my replay of FF VI Advance right now! :)

MoonFrog

Since this boss in SaGa: Scarlet Grace is ruining my life, I think I'll go ahead and start my FF2 run. I'm not doing FF1 since I just played that somewhat recently and I'm not very eager to do it again.

Hopefully FF2 is more fertile pastures!

So I'm planning on playing FFXV soon, but going into the new year this thread has got me thinking about going back to II, IV, or V, in particular. Probably one of the former two as I actually got to the final dungeon in V before. But idk. I still feel unfinished business with V.

I'm going to have a lot of free time, at least up until April 15th, at which point, pending admittance (which I can't really expect given the competitiveness of my field at the PhD level), I may have to think a lot about what I'm going to do with my life.

In the good case, I'll be free until August, September, October. In the bad case, I'll have to start on another career path, preferably sooner rather than later.

But, if I have free time, I intend to spend a lot of it playing games, particularly JRPG classics that I've missed, which is not a small collection of games.

Found my GBA SP (still charged up after at least a year in a box).

Starting my replay of FF VI Advance right now! :)

I recently found my brother's PSP in a box, which he told me I could keep if I found. The thing works, but only when plugged into a wall :p. Was amusing setting the date and time when the device was assuming it was 2004.

Final Fantasy has always been a series I watched from the sides for most of my life. JRPGs, actually RPGs in general was a genre I rarely played for 20 years. I've watched friends obsess over this franchise and they tried to get me into but it never worked.

Finally RPGs clicked for me about 11 years ago and I would finally get into this franchise with FF13. It was the first FF game I bought and I ended up liking it. It probably helps that I didn't have decades of nostalgia to compare it to.

Now having played about 90 minutes of World of Final Fantasy and around 10 hours of XV this 30 year anniversary has me really interested in going back and seeing what I missed for these past three decades.

I want to try something different with this hobby in 2017 and really going deep into things I've skipped like this series and Baldur's Gate are something I'm thinking about.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I should start way back with the first one or start with IV. Right now I'm leaning towards starting with IV because I remember that one being a big thing back when I was a kid. I can eventually go back and sample the first three once I've played the ones that seemed to have a huge impact from my childhood.

MoonFrog

Final Fantasy has always been a series I watched from the sides for most of my life. JRPGs, actually RPGs in general was a genre I rarely played for 20 years. I've watched friends obsess over this franchise and they tried to get me into but it never worked.

Finally RPGs clicked for me about 11 years ago and I would finally get into this franchise with FF13. It was the first FF game I bought and I ended up liking it. It probably helps that I didn't have decades of nostalgia to compare it to.

Now having played about 90 minutes of World of Final Fantasy and around 10 hours of XV this 30 year anniversary has me really interested in going back and seeing what I missed for these past three decades.

I want to try something different with this hobby in 2017 and really going deep into things I've skipped like this series and Baldur's Gate are something I'm thinking about.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I should start way back with the first one or start with IV. Right now I'm leaning towards starting with IV because I remember that one being a big thing back when I was a kid. I can eventually go back and sample the first three once I've played the ones that seemed to have a huge impact from my childhood.
It really is a great thing to have huge holes in your back log. So many classic JRPGs I want to play. And then I am completely ignorant of CRPG for the most part.

Bladenic

Does the iOS FFIX run well? I really have an itch to replay it but it's either iOS or PSN classic (maybe on Vita).

Also on Edge's tale in After Years. It's a cute game. It helps that FF4 has one of the best boss themes in the series (along with IX and X).

Scotia

Banned
I've done about two hours of FFIX tonight but I needed to get work done so I've had to stop. I'm currently at the spring in the Evil Forest.

I'm really liking the game at the moment. Being completely honest, I've been quite prejudiced against FFIX for a while now. Looking at the game, I really didn't like the design of most of the party and I enjoyed FFVII and, as you can no doubt tell from my avatar, FFVIII a lot, especially their setting, so going from that to the old school 'knights and crystals and mages' wasn't very exciting for me. However, I am more than willing to eat crow. From the moment the opening cinematic started I was fully engaged. The characters who I had already internally vowed to dislike were great and I was really disappointed when I had to stop. The opening play/kidnapping was fantastic and is honestly up there with one of my favorite Final Fantasy openings. I can't say much more about the game just yet, but I hope to play a little bit more in the following days.

PSY・S;226805920 said:

moedzh.png

The PSN store is ridiculous. I bought the PS4 physical version of FFX and FFX-2 just now on Amazon for like £18. PSN prices are honestly a joke. It's one of the major things holding me back going fully digital.

The PSN store is ridiculous. I bought the PS4 physical version of FFX and FFX-2 just now on Amazon for like £18. PSN prices are honestly a joke. It's one of the major things holding me back going fully digital.

There's a year end PSN sale going on right now. Wouldn't be surprised if FFX/X-2 go on sale sometime before the end of the year.

rataven

Aww Final Fantasy!! My absolute favorite series in fiction, in any medium. Final Fantasy feels like home. Like comfort food or a warm cup of hot chocolate on a winter's day. It's cozy and I love the series so.

So recently, an absolute joy I've discovered is playing through these games with a newbie friend, via the PS4's Share Play function. My good friend is in his early 20s so therefore missed many of these games on original release, and while having heard great things about the series, felt intimidated by the sheer number of entries so never jumped in. I started a play-through of X and X-2 earlier this year and shared my screen with him for the entirety of both runs. And he ADORED them -- the world, story, and characters and even Tidus though I had my doubts he would. X-2 lost him a bit but I also shared my VII run (my personal GOAT) after and hopefully sometime in the future IX. I think the graphics/battle system of VII didn't quite grip him like X's but he loved the story, cast, and my precious Cloud so that's good enough for me! Fingers are so crossed IX gets a PS4 release because I'd love to share that one too.

I'm finishing XV and taking my time with it, but I'll definitely partake in a few more this year. XII for sure and then I might get around to XIV someday too.

Ourobolus

Banned
Oh no not this again. I guess I can pick up where I left off from the last thread and do 7-13

At least I enjoyed my Four Job Fiesta run of FF3 and the CES run of FF6.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Still playing XV. Just got to chapter 10. I've done pretty much all there is to do except fishing, which I'll get to in post game.

Beat FFIII NES for the first time a few months back. Also beat Type-0 HD and World of Final Fantasy 100% this year. I think I'll finally hop into FFX/X-2 HD when I finish XV. I want to eventually have all the Final Fantasy Platinums. Missing X/X-2, VII (waiting for VIII and IX to come to PS4 too), XV (about to get) and XIV (damn craft grinding til my hands bleed).

It baffles me that FFVIII and IX aren't on the PSN. It's easy money...

I guess I'll have to boot my PSX again, I plan to replay both of them.

Fou-Lu

It baffles me that FFVIII and IX aren't on the PSN. It's easy money...

I guess I'll have to boot my PSX again, I plan to replay both of them.

Why not grab them on Steam? Definitely the best version of IX and almost any computer could run them. Steam has native DS4 support too.

jb1234

I hope you get something out of FF2. I taught my boyfriend how to play it like a normal person and he came out enjoying it a lot. Never forget that the Blood Sword is your best friend during the final boss~. If you're doing it for the first time and mostly want to experience the story, go for PSP/GBA. If you want good balancing, I'd go PSX. I genuinely love FF2; it's one of my faves and the ideal situation is more people feeling that way.

I only play FF1 PSP if I really want to get through the game quickly and low level the whole thing. It's kind of hard to do because the version is so faceroll, too! tbf, FF1 is short so if you wanted, you could theoretically try the PSX versions after...

But since I'm convinced to kick my own ass I went NES for this ironman run. I wouldn't recommend the NES version to anyone unless they want to suffer through
Ineffective
Ineffective
Ineffective
Ineffective

like i am

right now

it's sad

Haha, yeah. I played a lot of the NES version of FF1 when I was a kid. I remember it being harder than hell. I haven't decided what version of FF2 I'll play yet. I have access to all of them. I'll probably try the PSX version and if it's too frustrating, switch to PSP.

For now, I randomly found myself starting FFX, which basically seems to be how this year will work out, me playing whatever FF I'm in the mood for. I played a couple of hours and while the first hour remains a little sluggish, I'm deeply impressed how the game comes together with great economy in Besaid. The characters already have more depth than forty hours stuck with the bros in FFXV (which I mostly enjoyed but consider deeply flawed). And the music, man. Yuna's theme already makes me a little teary.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Playing FFIX right now on my Vita. 16 hrs post Madain Sari.

I love this game but I keep wondering... Will the younger generations appreciate this game a lot? It might have been godly for our early years when it was released.

Top Bottom