• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

My goals for 2017 will be Final Fantasy 5 and 6 definitely. 6 is the most regarded despite my trying to get through it several times I always stop at some point. 5 I never got more than a few minutes into.

Should finish 4 at some point too...Personally more partial to the PSP 2D version.

Aeana

Wow you two really make me want to start this series with 1. I would be playing the Origins version on Vita if I do, but I have a question on this overpowering spells. Do the spells level up so fast that they require more MP to use than your characters have? Just so I'm clear on the issue.
In FF2, spells cost as much MP to cast as their skill level. So a level 9 spell costs 9 MP. It's possible to get to the point where a spell is too expensive to consider using often.

Now, some people disagree with me on this, and I suspect they aren't heavy magic users. Which is fine; FF2 is a game that you can play however you want, although you definitely don't want to neglect magic entirely.

Honestly, though? Worst case if your spell costs too much, you throw it out and get a new one at level 1. Or you level your MP up some. You gain max MP by depleting it in battle.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Aeana

They went overkill with the violence and deaths. It's honestly amazing and gives a real terrifying view of what a war could be like a fantasy setting.
On the other hand, in a series that contains FF4, which makes death seem like a farce, FF2 handles it in a much more mature way by comparison.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
lol my Cecil ended up solo'ing the fire Archfiend. Cuz he had ice armor on.

7L16law.png

Cecil is a goddamn tank, man.

NCwUL8Q.png

Got all the EXP too. Jumped 3 levels.

6HEErCx.png

Citation needed.

Aeana

Speaking of FF2 how is the story in it? The random stat gain system was a big turn off for me and I never got past the first 3 or so hours.
The story is pretty good considering it's a 1988 NES RPG. It's a bit overly dramatic, but that doesn't seem to bother fans of this series. And frankly it's super down to earth considering what came after.

And the stats gains aren't random! Everything you do adds to a counter, and when the counter rolls over, you get a status increase. It's very easy to track and predict your characters progression.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
So I signed up (again) for a free trial of FF14. I don't think I'm made for MMOs unfortunately... :( So far all I've done after a few hours are fetch quests and I don't think I have the patience for this anymore.

Bladenic

7L16law.png

NCwUL8Q.png

6HEErCx.png

Citation needed.

God if I remember anything from FF4 DS it's that Edge spent like 85% of his time faceplanted on the floor. He usually was first to go down in any version of the game but the DS version just amplified that to insane levels.

The Origins version of FFII probably has my favorite overworld theme...starting it again reminded me of that. Never did finish this version, so I guess I'll give it a go one more time.

MAX PAYMENT

I've never played a FF game until I started FFXV and FFVII alone side each other the other day.

What exactly put 7 so high on everyone's GOAT list? It's definitely grabbing my attention, but I'm still fairly early in the game.

kswiston

I started writing part 2 of my Tactics playthrough, but fell asleep at 9pm last night. Hopefully I can get something up tonight. I'm glad to see more playthroughs!

Jennipeg

7L16law.png

NCwUL8Q.png

6HEErCx.png

Citation needed.

Is this considered a good version? I find the art style a bit ugly. I was thinking of playing the original. Which one is better to play?

Is this considered a good version? I find the art style a bit ugly. I was thinking of playing the original. Which one is better to play?
I feel like the difficulty is just right in the 3D remake and the other changes are mostly good. Most people would agree about the graphics though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

If you don't like early 3D graphics you won't like it lol. But I can go back and play any PS1 or N64 game just fine so this style is right down my alley. As another poster pointed out, the difficulty is the main draw. Bosses are more frequently something to worry about and plan for and the random encounter rate isn't all that high. If you do decide to get the pc version, make sure to select Hard difficulty so that its similar/identical to the DS version.

Jennipeg

if you like 2d the psp, if you like 3d and a harder version and voice cast the DS(PC) version

I feel like the difficulty is just right in the 3D remake and the other changes are mostly good. Most people would agree about the graphics though.

Thanks, it seems like they are both good enough, I'm really agonising over this lol. I think I will try 2D first, then maybe 3D in the future. I don't find them particularly easy on a first play through so the 2D will probably suit me fine.

If you don't like early 3D graphics you won't like it lol. But I can go back and play any PS1 or N64 game just fine so this style is right down my alley. As another poster pointed out, the difficulty is the main draw. Bosses are more frequently something to worry about and plan for and the random encounter rate isn't all that high. If you do decide to get the pc version, make sure to select Hard difficulty so that its similar/identical to the DS version.

I think the graphics seem worse in this case because there is another version out there that looks better. I can play the PS1 FF's with no problems, because there isn't anything to directly compare them to (yet) and it's what i'm used to with them.

ConceptX

I'm towards the end of FFIX now.

Started on FFVI, will likely play that alongside WoFF and then play FFV.

I've replayed FFVII enough to wait for the remaster, I'm also waiting for the FFXII remaster.

Might re-visit my save on the last disc on FFVIII too.

I've never played a FF game until I started FFXV and FFVII alone side each other the other day.

What exactly put 7 so high on everyone's GOAT list? It's definitely grabbing my attention, but I'm still fairly early in the game.
I have not played VII yet myself , but I remember everyone at school freaking out when the game came out. From what I remember it was the huge technological jump from the previous game on SNES. The cinematic style, voices, 3D, an the story were what made the game a huge leap from the SNES era of JRPGs.

I imagine going to this game for the first time now, twenty years later, you won't be blown away from a technical standpoint like the players of 1997. I'm looking forward to finally playing this one myself in the coming year but like you I'll be playing for the story and will have to remember how new all of it was to people of 1997.

z1ggy

Do spin off count? I'm currently playing World of FF and i think it's pretty good. It's funny that the storytelling its better than FF XV.

I like the stack system and the pokemon-ish thing of the game.

jimmypython

I need to finish my N'th time FF7 run that I started last year....

I also started FF8 trying to break the game very early on by playing the card game - I did it and got super OP'd before the end of DISC 1. Don't think I'll finish it as I'm bored already...

BTW my ranking since an FF thread without ranking just doesn't feel right :p:
12 = 9 = 14 (2.0) > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 = 8 > 10 > 13 = 15

Am I the only one who loved 12 but not so much for 15?

Was there a way off that giant robot in FFIV? I remember getting on it and having to fight through Rubicante and the fiends but being severely under powered. Since I couldn't find a way off the giant robot I just started the game from scratch and played through it until the end.

RDreamer

I think I'm going to finally pick up a gamecube memory card so I can play FF Crystal Chronicles with my fiance while she's on break from school! She's gonna love that. She apparently played and loved it back when it came out. I was able to gather stuff for it a while after it came out, but never finished it or anything.

The OST for that game is one of the best in the series.

Bladenic

I think I'm going to finally pick up a gamecube memory card so I can play FF Crystal Chronicles with my fiance while she's on break from school! She's gonna love that. She apparently played and loved it back when it came out. I was able to gather stuff for it a while after it came out, but never finished it or anything.

Yesssss have fun! Crystal Chronicles was a great game with a beautiful soundtrack. Shame the sub series is dead (not that I cared for what became of it) and that the composer doesn't seem to be doing much these days (she certainly isn't with SE, I wager).

Fou-Lu

Good choice! Best multiplayer experience of my life. I wonder if my GF would be interested in playing it...? She generally prefers turn-based and puzzles to action, but Crystal Chronicles isn't too over the top.

JC Lately

Was there a way off that giant robot in FFIV? I remember getting on it and having to fight through Rubicante and the fiends but being severely under powered. Since I couldn't find a way off the giant robot I just started the game from scratch and played through it until the end.

Can't remember if the Exit/Teleport spell worked on the giant or not. But couldn't FuSoYa solo the fiends with the right highest-tier elemental spells? Unless we're talking the 3DS/PC version.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well, I'm currently playing through XV but want to start on World of FF soon afterwards. So those will be my playthroughs, as I've played through all of the regular series (but the MMOs) and a majority of the spinoffs. Maybe I'll subject myself to Dirge of Cerberus? :p Or do Tactics Advance 2...

Rolf NB

Perfect pacing, fast fun battles, materia > micromanaging hats and espers.

JerkShep

Well, finally finished Final Fantasy II for the first time! PSP version, but it was still fun. I kind of rushed the last dungeon because my PSP screen is dying and I could barely read the text at the end.

I don't know why I had this false impression that FF II was bad, on the contrary I liked it quite a bit. Compared to other FFs, the story is a lot more grounded and it's the better for it. Towards the end it gets a bit crazy but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

III is the next one on the list, I might buy the Steam version if it's discounted during the Winter sale. I have the DS version already, barely touched, but it's a bit ugly on a 3DS XL screen.

Heropon

Let's start this anniversary year with a playthrough of the first Final Fantasy spin-off that I played:

yn0HhNj.png

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was my first contact with the world of Ivalice and the reality is that I didn't become too invested in it, I was groaning when it was announced that FFXII took place there too. Thankfully my angsty teenager years wore off and now I can appreciate it better. So let's start!

2e0JgvM.png
AsVRfxU.png

We start with what seems to be the preparations to snowball fight. Sadly, we don't know the team selection criteria but there are complaints already. Hey, that's what I always say when playing Overwatch, so I can emphatize.

6XHGB0V.png
PJF9pns.png
vIiH4pf.png

I understand the opponents trying to tilt the opposing team but the first guy is in Mewt's team, that's not how you're supposed to win. From class conflict to school bullying, Final Fantasy Tactics always touches upon real world problems, what a wonderful series.

OjRZOtM.png
qKxZ4a1.png

So the protagonist, also called for now the blonde dude with a scarf, steps to defend the bullied kid from those little pricks. According to the dialogue it seems we're playing with a silent protagonist, but these dudes also think it's something they can make jokes about. Being a silent protagonist is a difficult way of life and you just can't get away with mocking it, these guys are going to suffer if I can do something about that.

nm2cLoZ.png
AIzFfvx.png
MYdPO6T.png
0HgDGgh.png

Attacking girls too, some people just don't have respect for anyone. Thankfully Ritz wants the fight to start already and solves the matchmaking problems with a simple switch. Switch? Does someone have said switch? Final Fantasy Tactics Switch confirmed, you heard it here first!

3RLTz8G.png
LkCUtoy.png
PxN5vEV.png
blXxWPo.png

Finally the naming screen. This was going to be some kind of serious playthrough but it would be so boring without some childish name changing. Imagine all the sentences with double meanings! Look at all those symbols I'm not using, I must confess that I felt the temptation of using some but NoFunGuy is enough for now.

1zICVLo.png
qlMKSto.png
yPeHt5D.png
MhNq5Uv.png

It seems the protagonist isn't silent or just not very talkative; or he wasn't allowed to talk until someone said his name. I remember that stupid game in school where if two people said the same thing at the same time one could say frozen to the other and then the other one wouldn't be allowed to talk until some other person said its name. If that person talked before, the punishment was a punch.

So there was a teacher there all along. Teacher sanctioned bullying is the best bullying. Anyways, what kind of school activity is a snowball fight?

kcRFywd.png
YED7ezv.png
h7gyhYy.png
p0lfvzr.png

That last question is immediately answered in the game's first tutorial. Snowball fights in this place are treated like volleyball, which means that it has more rules than it seems at first, so I suppose they're using it to teach team coordination and competitive behaviour like shit talking the opponents and underperforming teammates.

This tutorial teaches us the turn order and movement in battles. Not too fun but it's better than not knowing what to do when the enemies have more dangerous attacks later. The teacher and Ritz get crazy and start talking about abstract things like a speed stat or a B button while explaining how to play.

G6ZtB42.png
wMdYuvc.png
lHX1Cth.png

Is this some kind of madhouse? And this is how the tutorial ends, time to put the rules in practice.

KGjiqz3.png
ZQeR4od.png
uG7Dow6.png
Xnh9QAd.png

The snowballs only do 1 point of damage, thankfully. Imagine all the kids in the infirmary after physical education class. The teacher also gives the most important battle tip in the game: try to hit enemies from behind. As in every single strategy game ever you want to maximize you chances to hit, so you don't spend a turn with a dumb face while being at the mercy of the enemies.

kjGH5Ex.png
bkqjQZT.png
j4A59cB.png
JTom5zx.png

Even after the proper fight the bullying continues. This time the teacher isn't there so the naughty kids can step up in their aggresive behaviour. I can't wait for the tide to turn.

uL42Y5m.png
6CgpMNX.png
VNHGcar.png
9hy8r9q.png

And another secret surfaces: Ritz's hair color isn't natural and not just anime coloration. The kid that looks like he was dressed in a garbage dump thinks he can talk bad about someone else's uncommon hair color.

GjV09W2.png
PjZluvs.png

I forgot again that there was a teacher there all along. I suppose this game has a pretty scathing commentary about the passiveness of many teachers towards school bullying. And people say Final Fantasy Tactics is the game with a deeper story, they don't know at all.

l4u7pkO.png

"Staring at the ceiling, I suppose. Why do you ask?"

Qkda4sb.png
ePhPsSY.png
KNJcMYT.png
1gAPlw4.png

Mewt's going to buy a totally mysterious book about monsters and magic because he's the biggest nerd. Even though NoFunGuy has other compromises he thinks about meeting with them at his house with his brother Doned. Doned seems to have some health problems and has to go to the hospital often. Ritz can't come up with any good excuses to skip it so she has to act nice and come along later too.

jDmL662.png
TeGXErN.png
I2IPEnF.png
CZKCAav.png

Mewt's father is another total loser and he also has to hear that from his friend. This situation is so sad that it's actually funny. At least the father seems nice, so Mewt shouldn't complain too much.

10EGQ6B.png
G6l68Lf.png
iLsnzoZ.png
fEreuen.png

Ouch, more deceased parents. Next, please.

lmTnEgX.png
SCRfgQY.png
VMsS2uW.png
FfXd5X2.png

So here we meet NoFunGuy's brother Doned and he also likes to tease him, sounds like the typical brother.

XNoSzNH.png
LPwjLwz.png
1yAosI6.png

NoFunGuy friends finally come with the mysterious book written in a unreadable language. It's also pretty spoilerific as it shows all the races of Ivalice. It should be banned!

19RoDvk.png

Latin, in my Final Fantasy? No, I can't believe it for a second, it must be something else. As if someone would do that, pffft.

Ki3nFI1.png
qUpj041.png

Doned doesn't waste any time and takes advantage of every single moment he can to annoy NoFunGuy. Maybe it's revenge for all the boring things he does.

3fwB3K4.png
JkiWzLk.png
bagSVo0.png

Be careful what you wish for, Mewt. Ritz isn't too thrilled about the idea, she seems to think that all books are like the Yellow Pages. Totally wrong, of course, there are exciting books out there like Twilight and Fifty Shades of Gray.

4GQlKRx.png
GFFpTDp.png

He would like to be in Final Fantasy without number, so I suppose that's the first one. Which job would he choose? Fighter, with his interesting press A/X fighting style? Monk? THIEF? Or some of the interesting jobs like the colored mages? Would he choose to live in an ironman run where everyone is a hammer wielding robe user? The possibilities are endless.

3K72gpo.png
Ur3UnGJ.png
IJargnc.png

Time to leave for our new friends and hit the bed!

s13VPlU.png
N1qQNPE.png
Xdw3Y5j.png
6Ww8sI1.png

As soon as midnight arrives all the town transforms into some kind of middle eastern magical land. Our protagonist also changes clothes. I wonder what kind of adventures await.

9CAOshc.png

NoFunGuy seems confused about where he is. No wonder why, but I bet we will know about that soon.

7AhXaVF.png
0mGeJbc.png
W6QtPMo.png

Uh, oh, NoFunGuy doesn't start his adventures in the best way. He hits accidentally a big lizard man and then calls him "lizard". That was excessively mean.

QuBAQDr.png
9RPl83L.png
GWdAXRz.png
Wswa3b0.png

Thankfully, some kind of winged rabbit thing appears to save the day. He looks like one of the creatures from the book, just like that lizard.

msSRouB.png
8ONvE3L.png
x9BYxVr.png

It doesn't matter how many times you apologize, because as soon as you cross your eyes with another trainer fighter an engagement starts.

This is the first real battle in the game and I don't really know if you can lose it, but I wouldn't even dare to experiment to know that after that long intro.

0f6BzAC.png
2eV9pzy.png

Poor NoFunGuy, every single person in this game mocks him, even this inoffensive rabbit.

zJRHleJ.png
MUvdAxU.png
MXri3L1.png

Oh boy, my favorite feature from this game, the law system! It basically prevents the player from doing certain actions in battle at the risk of getting your party members sent to jail for a few battles. The best thing is that as the game progresses these laws get more stupid and there can be three at the same time! It surely sounds like fun...

t697eYW.png
GyydTJ0.png
06C3zm5.png

After all the explanations our heroes can finally start beating the crap out of those annoying lizards. Remember that tip about positioning from before? NoFunGuy does and starts the battle backstabbing one of his foes. Meanwhile, the moogle has some tricks under his sleeve: black magic. Yeah, unlike every other game set in Ivalice this game's magic doesn't have that k added at the end. Well, spells usually do damage in a tile and the adjacent ones. Unlike in FFT, spells don't have charge time so they're immediately casted like in most Final Fantasy games.

These new attacks do real numbers unlike the snowballs and the first Bangaa gets KO'd fast. Every KO gives the person who did the killing blow a judge point, which can be spent in battle to do certain powerful skills.

saKi50F.png
yKMw8fU.png

sJgAMOz.png
U29KVtc.png
QAQisAe.png
TL7PAMI.png

Here comes the first victim of this place's totally crazy law system. Even though he was a jerk he didn't deserve that fate, I'll avenge you!

4GNIz2M.png
UbP4pDl.png
6jKpXKA.png

NoFunGuy discovers the truth of this world. No wonder he wants to return home, those laws would drive anyone mad.

0al4WiN.png
nPyfznR.png
q8yBVn3.png
jhS6JkJ.png

Before finally explaining a bit from where does he come, NoFunGuy doesn't lose the opportunity of trying to piss another one of these exotic animals.

xTNDrCm.png
r0aFVyi.png
qw9tHBA.png
SD20fQh.png

In this world Final Fantasy XII is a computer game and it wasn't in development hell forever because it released in 2003. A true fantasy based on fantasy.

Iv5tNEQ.png
SRNuvFN.png

Despite all the nonsensical stuff that NoFunGuy said, Montblanc offers his help and the first thing he does is...

m4UvUcB.png
WDuLjn0.png
UtMycw3.png

Bringing him to a tavern! This moogle certainly knows how to make friends. Even there NoFunGuy has to spoil the moment wanting to leave already. It's a bit understandable after watching the wacky law system but he could at least endure until the truly nasty laws start appearing.

VkLW34n.png
Baca2xr.png

Montblanc is just asking for trouble. Let's see with what name can I come up.

T0bDsTZ.png

The premade name is kinda terrible. Good thing I'm here to solve that.

WLL5YGI.png

NoFunGuy can't stop thinking about returning home so he chose that. He's also a fan of FF6 so there's that. I just hope this clan is better than that bunch of good for nothings that disappeared from the game's narrative in the middle of the game.

gjrl9zC.png

For some reason you can place Ivalice's landmarks yourself. Doing it in certain ways leads to getting some nice treasures. This new town, Sprohm, is the one with the prison. And with this tutorial done we can finally customize our party.

d2ns1dH.png
VP9eoJd.png
4pGvifo.png

This game makes the return of the job system after a gap of eight years (Final Fantasy X-2 was released a month later) since Final Fantasy Tactics. Not much changed since then, with the basic formula of learning skills in certain jobs and then using them after switching being still there. The most significant change is that this game uses FF9 way of learning skills from equipment. That has its cons as often the characters will have to equip not so good weapons to learn the skills that they want and certain abilities associated with certain rare equipment will be hard to learn. Once the skill has been mastered it can be used by any other job and obviously the same job without equipping those items. The job selection also depends on the race of the character, so different ones have access to unique job options. Females humans often count as Vieras, though.

X9EX2SC.png
DZGOk7N.png
ZZspKNn.png
W2iCAM9.png

These guys are the premade members of the clan. I didn't like having two soldiers so Douglas changed to an archer, Louize changed from Archer to Fencer to get some Viera exclusive jobs, and Zenelly and Watoo stayed in their base jobs. I suppose I will explain more about the different jobs/races in the next update.

Well, this was enough Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for now. I hope the next post is shorter, so until next time!

Codeblue

A year ago I decided I wanted to play every Final Fantasy game in it's original form, in order since I had never played one. I beat FFI and loved it, but I sort of stopped there. Time to continue the journey.

Not sure what I'm gonna do about MMOs though.

yunbuns

Definitely going to do this! I just started a replay of VIII and then I might move on to VI afterwards since I've never played it before.

BumRush

Laptop arrives on Thursday and I will start my replay of IX then. Pretty excited as I haven't played it since launch.

In the interim, I decided that I would stop playing FFT - one of my favorite games of all time - and finally beat Tactica Ogre LUCT, so I can compare. About 50% through Ogre and I think FFT is the better game in almost every single way.

A year ago I decided I wanted to play every Final Fantasy game in it's original form, in order since I had never played one. I beat FFI and loved it, but I sort of stopped there. Time to continue the journey.

Not sure what I'm gonna do about MMOs though.

Especially with XI which I think the servers got shut down a year or two ago.

Looks like I'm jumping back into FFXIV. I am right at the end of Heavensward before any of the patched content over the past few months.

Can't remember if the Exit/Teleport spell worked on the giant or not. But couldn't FuSoYa solo the fiends with the right highest-tier elemental spells? Unless we're talking the 3DS/PC version.

This was on SNES. All I remember was having a damn hard time on the Fiends while in the giant. We're talking back when the game came out so I was just a kid back then. Maybe I missed something.

Taisaijin

Especially with XI which I think the servers got shut down a year or two ago.

Still relatively healthy and being supported with (meager) monthly updates. Also still the highest total grossing FF (subscription caveats aside).

Maybe you're thinking of 360 and PS2 SKUs which were retired last year.

I beat FF II on PSP a couple weeks ago. It was fun but I kinda went into auto mode towards the end. Final dungeon was satisfying though, and I loved seeing all the unique boss models guarding the best equipment. Couldn't beat the final boss (I shouldn't have rushed the airship infiltration...so no blood sword) and ended up youtubing end.

I think I had more fun this time than I did with the Wonderswan version whenever that was. The upped learning rates on PSP made a big difference and grinding up magic wasn't that bad. I'll admit that one of my favorite parts of FF II is leveling up magic for cooler looking effects. Some of the maxed out spells looked great.

Aeana

Time for more FF2.

NwRLvYD.png
9ZAewCs.png

Back on track, our goal is to find mythril so we can have a better chance agains the imperial forces and their Dreadnought.

sogOWvf.png

Using Mindu's canoe, we can now travel over shallow lakes, which allows us to reach the town of Paloom.

RrV4PKa.png
diDg9mQ.png
dxIncw6.png

In Paloom, we hear that the towns of Bafsk and Salamand have been taken by the empire, but Poft is free. We also find a sailor who will take us to Poft for a fee.

y2i6mCi.png
grc0d0T.png
B7ne0wv.png

In Poft, we learn that a man named Cid has an airship that we can ride if we toss him some scratch. Let's find him!

uqKdTO2.png
fvDuC40.png

Inside is a host of colorful characters with all kinds of interesting things to say.

GLUyacr.png
89RLvnG.png

Hb9U4uD.png
YFxrZXF.png

uMOSybc.png
oNQPPqq.png

It's important to talk to everyone so you don't miss any important information.

tumblr_mckibuMjh91r9ci8go1_500.gif

mfmIWJp.png
KHMScoc.png

Cid can take us to a couple of different places. At this point in the game, there's not much to do at Bafsk. Semitt Falls is technically our next destination, but we're supposed to stop in Salamand and speak with a man named Josef first.

haAyejw.png

Airshippppp

ZlzGclr.png

Aww. Short ride.

E3Gpk9P.png
QiOCKwt.png

In town, we learn that the men of Salamand have been enslaved to work in the mythril mines behind Semitt Falls.

qpZuM0q.png

We find Josef himself in his home. He won't trust us unless we save the people who are enslaved at Semitt Falls, so that's our next destination.

azKo3df.png
1muxtUO.png

This is our first dungeon. It's pretty easy, but if you just went straight here after Mindu joins, it might be a little rough because you probably won't have very much HP or MP. Due to the preparation I did earlier, though, enemies couldn't even do more than 0 damage to me.

mWdwarj.png
PUyonxa.png
38o9A64.png

Deep inside, we run into Pavel. Apparently, he heard about mythril being inside this cave so he came to check it out, but he got caught and locked up with the rest of them. He introduces us to Josef's daughter, Molly, and then helpfully leaves beating the boss man to us while he flees with everyone else.

aswB1w2.png
sovgbTk.png

Deeper inside is a chest with a very helpful warp book, guarded by a spiketoise. This enemy is supposed to be tough right now, but we have actually already fought several of them in the swamp north of Fynn already. From our exploits there, we learned that like most turtles in Final Fantasy, it's weak to ice. One cast of level 3 blizzard, and he's gone.

PDQth9l.png
Xp8qmgY.png
gdFsJqy.png

Further in, we find the sergeant. This is the first real 'boss' of the game, and he can be fairly tough if you reach this point without having built up any magic. He's quite resistant to physical attacks, but melts to magic. 3 spellcasts and he's gone for us.

PbMptob.png

In the chest behind the sergeant, we claim the mythril we came here for. Using that sweet new wrap spell we got, we hightail it out of here.

0uwxPwI.png
lPKpUSv.png

Since we manged to get the mythril ourselves, there's not much Josef can do for us just yet. We'll see him again, though, don't worry.

wqDQpTD.png
GxeO24J.png

Back in Altair, we learn that Hilda is still incapable of doing anything for herself.

Bh5tGdu.png
Y9uNiVD.png

And to top it all off, we can't even get mythril equipment for free! Bitch, I own that mythril.

MzZyjwm.png
42kZA88.png
RgHW3YL.png

Hilda already has a new mission for us. The Dreadnaught's construction is being led by the dark knight, but he was recalled back to the seat of the empire Palamecia. With him out of the picture, now is our chance to destroy the Dreadnaught. Naturally, as we are the only people capable of accomplishing anything in the rebel army, that's our new task.

bdycJVo.png

We hike back to Paloom, and then to Poft, and then have Cid fly us to Bafsk. As we land, we can see the Dreadnought parked in a clearing to the north of town. That's our target!

G0ysOn5.png

The RPG Rule of the first person in town being the most useful continues to hold up.

hF4tdFt.png
Y29KCnk.png

Around the town, we discover that not even the soldiers are really a fan of Borghen. We also hear that one of the imperial soldiers is a traitor and might help us out.

ki60vtq.png

This must be him.

Y0ZltG9.png
cK6cdBE.png

The only purpose this guy serves is to move out of the way so we can reach the sewers.

OSY7vHk.png
wA5gy9I.png

This is a fairly short and easy dungeon. There's no boss at the end, and just a couple of passageways to follow.

x3vhlfV.png
7KQ6nIL.png
BxxooXQ.png

At the end, we run into the dark knight who isn't quite as gone as we'd heard.

V5m6oVr.png

And this guy, who has a Kefka-like laugh in this version of the game for some reason.

kVRAkgc.png
awmBZQz.png
E3jzJOu.png

Well, this is bad news. The Dreadnought is complete, and it's taken to the skies. Everyone is in danger. :(

aG9S5pv.png

Back inside, we quickly grab the pass and hightail it back to Cid.

AAj5QXN.png

Back in Poft, we see that it's been attacked. Everyone has died, it would seem.

PCwpV0q.png
4NmXIHB.png

We need to destroy the Dreadnought, but it's nearly invulnerable. Cid's idea is to use Sunfire, but it's so hot that it can't be contained by normal means. Oh well, it's a lead.

KX8inas.png
ZhLwxmi.png
00Y6ssv.png
j81B5QR.png

Back in Altair, we see it's been attacked too. Worse, the king's condition has worsened. In order to tend to the king, Mindu leaves our group at this point, and our happy group is reduced to a trio.

s9U2m29.png
Q85Pc9u.png
FpgrzmA.png
TKRIdXp.png

In yet another display of brilliant terse 80s RPG dialog, we get right to the point: the Sunfire is in Kas'ion, and we need to get it. The question is: how will we contain it?

That's a question we'll have to answer next time!

I have not played VII yet myself , but I remember everyone at school freaking out when the game came out. From what I remember it was the huge technological jump from the previous game on SNES. The cinematic style, voices, 3D, an the story were what made the game a huge leap from the SNES era of JRPGs.

I imagine going to this game for the first time now, twenty years later, you won't be blown away from a technical standpoint like the players of 1997. I'm looking forward to finally playing this one myself in the coming year but like you I'll be playing for the story and will have to remember how new all of it was to people of 1997.

Say whaaaaaaaaa!?

Magnus

XV definitely got me in the mood to play older FFs. I started dabbling in X, X-2, IX and VI all intermittently, lol. VI on mobile is an excellent version of the game if you can stomach the new sprites.

I really should finish V one day too.

Top Bottom