• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

One of things I really enjoy about FF2 is how the towns change due to the various forces the empire unleashes. Whether it's the Dreadnought or
the Cyclone
plenty of NPCs you can talk to at the beginning of the game end up being dead by the end.

kswiston

Laptop arrives on Thursday and I will start my replay of IX then. Pretty excited as I haven't played it since launch.

In the interim, I decided that I would stop playing FFT - one of my favorite games of all time - and finally beat Tactica Ogre LUCT, so I can compare. About 50% through Ogre and I think FFT is the better game in almost every single way.

I like the branching paths in Tactics Ogre, and the remake is more balanced than FFT. The story also holds up better in the final act. However, as a big Final Fantasy fan in general, those FF monsters, spells, and classes add a lot of charm. Tactics also has a stronger soundtrack in my opinion.

I got back to playing Final Fantasy Tactics today, but didn't have enough time to finish a write up. Everyone in my party now has focus, and a few characters have their JP boost. I'll probably write up the battles at Siedge Weald (RIP Sweegy Woods) and Dorter City, along with my thoughts on the first and second tier jobs.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Christmas is always heckin' busy for me so I'm probably not gonna play more of FF1 for a while. I threw Garland into a pit though and now I'm at Pravoka!

Plus I'm trying to get my group together to finally do PotD up to Floor 200 since we might have time off around now to get together, and I'm trying to duo up to floor 200 with my boyfriend so that's probably where most of my FF time will be spent. He and I (WAR/SCH) got to floor 180 but Eos I couldn't heal through the fifth ecliptic meteor.

Fuck5ConsecutiveEclipticMeteors.com

ashasunblade11_29_201zgs90.png

That's what sadness looks like. Oh well.

Looks like I'm jumping back into FFXIV. I am right at the end of Heavensward before any of the patched content over the past few months.
Patch 3.3, please look forward to it!

I like the branching paths in Tactics Ogre, and the remake is more balanced than FFT. The story also holds up better in the final act. However, as a big Final Fantasy fan in general, those FF monsters, spells, and classes add a lot of charm. Tactics also has a stronger soundtrack in my opinion.

I got back to playing Final Fantasy Tactics today, but didn't have enough time to finish a write up. Everyone in my party now has focus, and a few characters have their JP boost. I'll probably write up the battles at Siedge Weald (RIP Sweegy Woods) and Dorter City, along with my thoughts on the first and second tier jobs.

Yeah, TO over FFT to me since it lends so many ideas from the game.

Both are good, but I prefer the difficulty and story of the first.

BumRush

One (major) issue I've been having with Tactics Ogre is that the non-story battles take like 60-90 minutes. Last night the requirements were to defeat all enemies and there were 15 or more, with at least 5 being undead and 4 having the ability to heal.

Also, the crafting system is awful.

JC Lately

Great idea but that OP is really disappointing. Some of the version choices are baffling.

While I would argue that the mobile versions of V and VI are perfectly serviceable if you can get past the character sprites, and make taking screenshots for the purposes of this thread hella easy, the version recommendations in the OP seem fine to me. Each is even given reasons that make perfect sense.

GunBR

Yesterday I started Final Fantasy VIII, I already played the game on the PS1 but stoped at some part of disc 3

On this first day, I end up spending 2 hours really playing the game and 4 hours playing Triple Triad.

They're only my opinions, and I only edited them in after the fact because people asked me to. You're free to disagree and provide your own recommendations.

I don't think anyone should play NES or PSX versions of the games over any other version. They're worse in every way and don't hold up at all.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I decided to try the iOS version of FF I and. . . Holy fuck. Was the random encounter rate always this high?

Many times it's literally less than 1 second between battles on the world map.

Aeana

I don't think anyone should play NES or PSX versions of the games over any other version. They're worse in every way and don't hold up at all.
I strongly, strongly disagree with that, especially in the case of FF3. For the reasons mentioned in the OP.

FF3 aside, I prefer my games not being a cakewalk, so I picked the ones that I felt had a difficulty level that I enjoy the most. That matters more to me than things like graphics.

I think the PSX version of FF1 is the best one, since it keeps the original design of the game while simultaneously getting rid of the bugs that plagued the NES and MSX versions. The swap to MP in later versions of the game creates a major imbalance in the game.

kswiston

I decided to try the iOS version of FF I and. . . Holy fuck. Was the random encounter rate always this high?

Many times it's literally less than 1 second between battles on the world map.

I haven't played the iOS version of FF1, but assume it is based on the 20th anniversary versions on PSP. I don't think encounters in that version were any more frequent than previous versions.

I'm currently playing FF8, I swear the in game clock is really slow?

I played all evening sunday and monday night, but says I've only played for 7 hours - feel like I've been playing longer.

Ourobolus

Banned
Hmm...I just realized I have beaten FF7-12 (except 11) at least in the past year so maybe the older ones are due a revisit.

Decided on another FF3 4 Job Fiesta.

And rolled a horrible team. This will be interesting:

Red Mage/Geomancer/Bard/Ninja

I can't wait for my holiday break to start so I can dive into FFIII. I've only just started but I've been so busy this month. Eternal Wind is so good ~

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
For anybody playing FFT and looking for a fun, unconventional party:

2 mimes
2 female ninjas w/dance ability
1 mage w/calculate ability

All dances get mimicked twice (best dances are the one that lower enemy speed and the one that causes random status ailments). All calculated spells get mimicked twice. After a few turns, whatever enemies weren't destroyed by calculate will be loaded with status ailments and slow as shit, very easy for your ninjas to mop up.

Yesterday I started Final Fantasy VIII, I already played the game on the PS1 but stoped at some part of disc 3

On this first day, I end up spending 2 hours really playing the game and 4 hours playing Triple Triad.

Yes! I started FFVIII yesterday. Spent the majority of the day playing Triple Triad.

For FF3, though? The Famicom version is completely different than the DS remake, which I frankly found pretty underwhelming. If it were me, I'd slap a filter on the game, use save states in the final dungeon, and make use of the most useful ability of emulators: frame skip, aka turbo mode during often slowly animated battles.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Did some more FFIV adventurin' today. 2 bonus dungeons in the underworld after I finished up the last crystal.

W1S03Ly.png

^This room was tedious and evil. The red arrows are passageways, usually doors. Well in this dungeon every door was a monster. And every door monster would kill at least one of my party members with an instant kill attack. And they also seemed to have some chance of becoming an even deadlier monster mid-fight, regaining all their hp.

6Ar9JZE.png
AcudhMH.png

Great writing. So the first optional dungeon was like a swamp place. Not difficult and probably some of the easiest Malboros ever. Their bad breath only seemed to affect one character at a time.

tPHCnb6.png
4cQvOaB.png

The second optional dungeon was a magma cave with spiderweb pitfalls. I didn't actually check what would happen if I fell into a pitfall or if I could even. In both of these optional dungeons, the game wants you to use Float to levitate your characters so they don't take damage from the environment. Some enemies here use Earthquake to provide even more incentive to use Float. Found 2 powerful weapons for Cecil almost back to back. Poison axe and a sword called Defender.

nypkC3M.png

Going out of the map in FFIV is common but not sure if I was supposed to go this far down. Maybe I missed a secret.

0gQHafa.png

Jealousy.

wNwcyw4.png

So at the end of the magma cave you find this summon village where intelligent monsters live. Kinda like the one from FFVI. These eggs are either their children or their food supply. Deepest lore.

CNpdUF2.png
jTHNx5L.png

You fight the queen of the summons. It's a weird fight. I just cast Reflect on her so her heal spells came back to me. It was very sloppy but I git 'er dun. And then you fight the king of the summons: Leviathan. Very easy fight, just use Ramuh and heal when necessary.

Popcicle

Hot Texas Chili
I'm going to try to play every FINAL FANTASY game I own start to finish within the year...probably won't make it, but I'll chime into this thread when I finish each.

Since I'm still not done with XV, I'll start with that, and then just jump around.

Considering next year is a bunch of other games 30th, it's looking to be one ambitious year ;)

I think I might give Final Fantasy 8 a go over Christmas. I could run it on a Playstation emulator just now, but I'm also considering getting it on Steam for the speed increase option. Not sure tho.

B.K.

I've been saying for years that I'm going to play all the way through Final Fantasy III. It's the only one besides XIV that I've never finished. I've started and dropped it at least a dozen times. Maybe I'll beat it in 2017.

randomkid

The celebration is the year leading up to the actual 30th, so it began on the 17th of December.

If that's the case we're three months overdue on the Megaten thread! Final Fantasy taking all this unjustified shine, Jucksalbe where ya at??

Ourobolus

Banned
Are you doing all 4 Red Mages for the whole game? I don't know how you're going to beat Garuda let alone the last dungeon.
I rolled Red Mage/Geomancer/Bard/Ninja. I can add a class every time I find a crystal.

I did this during the 25th anniversary thread (Monk/Evoker/Thief/Sage) and survived. Garuda will be tough but I can grind past it.

Honestly it's only going to get worse from when I get Bard until Ninja. Bard is objectively horrible in the original game and Geomancer isn't much better. Gonna be relying on my two Red Mages at that point.

IC5

Triple Triad is so good. I wish the real life card game had taken off. and I wish Square would have kept including it into future games. and no, that needlessly complicated evolution in FF9, does not count!

kswiston

It's a shame Square didn't just move the Wonderswan Color project to the Gameboy Advance.

I have no idea why they didn't. Maybe they had their roadmap of remaking FF4 like 3-4x within a single decade decided on and they were hesitant to stray from that path.

B.K.

I have no idea why they didn't. Maybe they had their roadmap of remaking FF4 like 3-4x within a single decade decided on and they were hesitant to stray from that path.

I've been thinking about it. I can't remember when the Wonderswan Color remake was announced. Was that back when Nintendo was still mad over Square going to Sony and didn't want anything to do with them? I remember Square announcing around 2000 that they wanted to release I-VI on Gameboy Advance, but the Nintendo people said no.

Ourobolus

Banned
TBF the DS port of FF4 is the best version. It's my least favorite of the entire series, but there is actual difficulty and at least a small semblance of customization.

jb1234

Been playing some FFXIV. Game is weird. The first seven hours are mostly fetch quests and then it suddenly tosses new characters and cutscenes at you all at once. I'm completely lost, haha.

God, I love FF3.

I'm definitely giving the NES version a shot. It sounds like it fixes a lot of the things that annoyed me about the remake (too slow, too few enemies in battle, irritating job mechanic that penalizes you).

kswiston

Last Time:

I left off Part 1 having saved Argath and having met some of Ramza’s family. I also briefly examined some of the basics of Final Fantasy Tactics’ character progression, including the job system. If you want to read the first part, you can find it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226789728&postcount=244

And now…

0YJyDfr.png

Before I get started, I should point out that I am playing the War of the Lions version of Final Fantasy. This is the version that is playable on PSP/Vita, as well as iOS/Android. There are rumors that it will be making its way to Steam eventually (which would make sense given the other FF phone ports on there). If you have any of the above systems, along with either a Sony Handheld or a PS3, you have a choice of whether to play the WotL remake, or the original FF Tactics (which is up on PSN for $9.99).

Here are some differences between versions:

- Final Fantasy Tactics was released in an era when Japanese developers thought that American gamers were too dumb to beat their sophisticated RPGs and strategy titles (see Fire Emblem). As such, the original PS1 version of Final Fantasy Tactics was made easier by lowering the JP costs of most abilities and the job level pre-requisites for advanced jobs. For instance, to become a ninja, a unit first needs to reach level 3 archer, level 4 thief, and level 2 geomancer (all of which have their own pre-requisites). In the WotL version, you need to be a level 4 archer, and a level 5 thief instead. While one extra level doesn’t sound like much, you only need 400 JP total to hit level 3 in a job, vs 700 JP total for level 4. Most of the requirements to unlock the thief and geomancer classes are also bumped up a level. Unless you want to wait until late game to unlock the cooler jobs, you will probably resort to some extra JP/job grinding (or just tough it out through more difficult battles) in the WotL version.

- FFT: WotL features some really cool cutscenes in a style similar to that of Valkyria Chronicles. These cutscenes are also voice acted.

- The translation of the original Final Fantasy Tactics is infamously terrible. Names are butchered, the dialogue often makes little sense, and therefore the story isn’t as clear as it should be. WotL received an excellent translation in comparison. All of the 2006/2007 Ivalice games received top notch localizations TBH. It’s sad that FF12 had better voice acting than FF13 did. Some people still like some of the quotes produced by the original FFT script though.

- WotL has ad hoc multiplayer. Probably irrelevant for most players.

- WotL fixes most of the glitches and exploits present in the original game.

- WotL has two exclusive classes (Onion Knight, and Dark Knight), has two optional characters from other Ivalice games (the protag from Tactics A2, and Balthier from FF12) that you can get via side quests, and expands your team roster from 16 to 24 (super useful).

- WotL added slowdown after every spell cast. If it wasn’t for this, the remake/enhanced port would be a no-brainer choice. If you are playing on a CFW PSP or on an emulator, there are patches to remove the slowdown. I don’t know if it is still present on Android/iOS.

And with that, let’s head back to the game.

ECQRiIW.png

Once you finish the first two battles, you will be given some control over the world map. Blue dots are cleared towns or castles, and are free of random battles. Green dots are places you have already been, but can spawn random battles. Orange dots denote the next story map(s).

Final Fantasy Tactics includes a billion places, people, and events. The battle system is also pretty complex, with factors like height and terrain to consider, along with all the typical battle concerns. If you find yourself a bit lost, or if you need a refresher after a long break, you can access an extensive tutorial database and a chronicle from the world map menu.

1MxPG7u.png
4oZYPnm.png

I personally like the character biographies listed in the chronicle.

kRgpC67.png

You get one for pretty much everyone mentioned by name in the story. The biographies will list the age of the character, and if they die, it will list their date of death. It’s fun in a nerdy way to look back through the biographies as the game progresses. The events menu can be used as a refresher of the game’s story to date.

Before I go back to playing the game, let’s briefly look at the town/Castle menus:

HK86mZV.png

Each town or castle has a tavern, outfitter, and warrior’s guild. The warrior’s guild can be used to hire generic male or female squire units (starting at level 1 I believe). You can name each of these units, as you did Ramza. If you want to fight with a team of your friends, or favourite FF characters, you could use the warrior’s guild.

OVwtd9A.png

The Tavern keeper will tell you rumors, which provide back history on NPC characters and events (that will add to your chronicle). You can also start ad-hock battles under the melee tab, or accept side missions under the Rendevous tab. If you accept a side mission, up to 3 of your units will be tied up for a number of in-game days. During this time you cannot use said units for story or random battles (because of this, Ramza and story characters can’t go on missions). Completing missions will earn the participating units JP, gil, and sometimes rare artifacts (that mostly serve no purpose). It also unlocks some of the side quests later in the game.

JxE9SrW.png

The Outfitter is where you will buy new equipment and consumables. In addition to the buy/sell options, you can use the fitting room.

HLxWkCf.png

This will allow you to see how various pieces of equipment affect a particular unit’s stats and is super useful.

That wraps up my brief explanation of the world map and town features. On to battles! But before I tackle the Siedge Weald, let’s grind a few random battles!

A little grinding early on will pay dividents going forward!

Grinding will lower the difficulty of the game, so if you are one of those gamers who wants a real challenge, you might want to skip or minimize the grinding. That’s not to say that there aren’t difficult maps your first time through, even with some minor grinding. I’ve beat this game several times, and would like to make way through it pretty quickly, so I’m going to grind out a few of the useful squire skills that I outlined in part 1 of this play through. Mainly focus for everyone, as well as JP Boost for my squires while my black mage and cleric passively earn squire JP.

EktbPsf.png

The only random battle location I have unlocked is Mandalia Plains, so that’s where I will be battling. Triggering a random battle on this map will have you face off against a team of monsters. At the beginning of the game, you will likely only have 3 foes, but more are added as your level increases. Unlike story battles, enemy level in random battles will scale with Ramza. Technically, you could grind your way to level 99 before you ever play the third story map. However, you will be stuck with junk gear against super monsters. Not really recommended :p

nMDky8z.png

As I mentioned last time, black mages are ranged, AoE casters that specialize in elemental magic (just like the mainline FF games).

kcNdyJN.png

They are awesome against monsters (who typically have one elemental weakness)

When fighting in Final Fantasy Tactics, you need to consider the direction in which you attack an enemy.

767iJYk.png
aFrlHcZ.png

As you can see above, attacking head on has a lower chance of success than attacking from behind (or from the sides). This is even more true later in the game when some enemy classes carry shields.

Alright. After 4-5 short battles, my characters are all focused equipped. It’s time to return to the main story!

2lhLK5e.png

Battle 3: The Siedge Weald (Formerly the charmingly dopey Sweegy Woods)

Hvz2eQv.png

As Argath helpfully points out, this map is filled with monsters. You get a mixture of goblins, a panther, and bombs. None are particularly difficult to beat, and this map is generally a cakewalk.

84IygAj.png

Ramza has a large enough movement radius to reach the closest enemy, but it’s sometimes best to hold back for a turn and use focus. This will boost your base attack by +1, adding a few points of damage to every subsequent attack this map.

YNHHDdO.png

Ice Magic is really handy if you want to take out goblins

PvQxCN6.png
Zd8kJHO.png

Enjoy death you two! (yes, one still has a couple hp left. shhh)

Five minutes later and our third battle has concluded. I’m not going to waste any time moving onto the next one!

Battle 4: The slums of Dorter City

zz8fVEl.png

A knight with a different color cape! I sense a named character!

pwrjVlq.png

Who could this badass be?!?

Delita informs our merry crew, but I will skip over that for now. Dorter City is the first map where the difficulty starts to pick up a bit.

na1juKU.png

There are no longer any basic Squires or Chemists among the enemy. Instead we face 2 black mages, 3 archers, and a knight (probably a hint that I should check out the more advance classes soon!). What can make this map difficult (especially for new players) is the fact that all but one of these enemies is ranged. The archer class is one of the weaker classes in the game from a PC perspective, but enemy archers can be real pain in the asses.

CHYoaJ0.png

See that guy way up on the top of the slum roof? Archers who maintain a high elevation will be able to target units at lower elevations from further distances. This bastard can effectively cover about a third of the map from his sniper nest. Taking out him and the black mages is going to be my priority….

J3RLl6C.png

…. But just because I generally know what to do, I shouldn’t get sloppy and rush in. You might notice from the shot above that Ramza was knocked out. My loyal cleric tried to rush to his aid, but her ass got knocked out too. The timers on their head tell you how many turns they have left before they die. A one means that the unit still has one turn left. A zero means they will die on their next turn. If you don’t revive a unit within 3 turns, they die. If Ramza dies, it’s game over. If another unit dies, they are gone forever (which probably also means resetting). Unfortunately, my two units able to use a phoenix down were Ramza and my cleric. Go figure!

6OZOorD.png

Luckily, I was down to just one enemy at that point, and my black mage Dalmas had my back. Everyone pulls through this time! You might notice a treasure chest on the screen above. When an enemy’s counter finishes, they die and turn into either a treasure chest or a crystal. The treasure chests give you an item. The crystal either replenishes your HP/MP, or allows you to learn one of your enemy’s skills. Unfortunately, Ramza was close to death and I couldn’t retrieve this particular chest. Next time!

After the battle, Ramza, Delita, and Argath interrogate the poor schlub featured in the opening cinematic to this battle.

ZPfo5cR.png
X5xZPS3.png

Argath works out his aggression on mister nameless knight (because Argath is a dick).

W924Ype.png
Pipn1cn.png

He also throws in some classist insults for good measure. Being a good boy, Ramza tries to get him to tone it down (to limited success). Eventually our common-born punching bag explains why Mr White cape was so angry at the beginning, and we are pointed towards some ruins in the desert.

But you’ll have to wait until part 3 for that!

Originally I was going to give an overview/my general opinion of the first 6 jobs in the game, but it’s already past midnight, and this entry is long enough. I will start of part 3 with some details on the Squire (covered a little in part 1), Cleric, Knight, Archer, Black Mage, and White Mage. The latter four branch into all of the more advanced jobs in the game.

I will also cover a few more story maps. I think I have 5 until the end of part 1. I haven’t decided if I will do these in one or two parts yet (probably 2, since I still have a few of the game basics to comment on).

Until next time!

--- END OF PART 2 ---

Top Bottom