• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Fou-Lu

Hmmm... What to play that is Final Fantasy... I'll be on holidays for three weeks soon so it needs to be something I can lug around with me. Might just play Dragon Quest 7 for now, but it feels criminal to not start the year of the 30th anniversary off with some FF.

jett

D-Member
Played 30 minutes of FF9 on Steam.

Why am I getting loading times in this game. I just can't. Hi-res characters really stick out against the backdrops too.

JC Lately

It baffles me that FFVIII and IX aren't on the PSN. It's easy money...

I guess I'll have to boot my PSX again, I plan to replay both of them.

But they are? The PS1 versions anyway. Playable on PS3, PSP, PS Vita and PSTV.

But Steam versions are probably better, with mods and what not.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Playing FFIX right now on my Vita. 16 hrs post Madain Sari.

I love this game but I keep wondering... Will the younger generations appreciate this game a lot? It might have been godly for our early years when it was released.

Well I played through it for the first time a year or two ago. I was like 23 and I liked it. Wasn't amazing or anything but it was fun. Ozma is my favorite super boss cuz it's almost like a sequence of dice rolls with regards to what move it does next. As opposed to a superboss you have to grind all your characters to max level for.

Terrifyer

Banned
Currently playing ff8. I actually just tried a playthrough about a month ago, but I got stuck at the end of disk 3 because I missed like all the GFs and discovered you can't really just grind to compensate. So I'm going through again using a guide for the GFs.

Even though I think the level scaling is frustrating it's still one of my favourite games of all time. I met my best friend of 14 years or so talking about playing the game back in the day.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Currently playing ff8. I actually just tried a playthrough about a month ago, but I got stuck at the end of disk 3 because I missed like all the GFs and discovered you can't really just grind to compensate. So I'm going through again using a guide for the GFs.

Even though I think the level scaling is frustrating it's still one of my favourite games of all time. I met my best friend of 14 years or so talking about playing the game back in the day.

Many missable GFs can just be gotten again in Disc 4. And really, the basic story ones the game gives you are enough to beat it. But glad you're enjoying it :p

JC Lately

I remember when FF VIII first came out, so many people complained about missing GF draws from bosses. “How was I supposed to know that bosses had GF’s!” they said And I was was like: Why wouldn’t you try to draw stuff from bosses? Bosses always have the best stuff to steal!

But now that I think on it, there are a ton of missable GF’s, actually. In fact, there aren’t many mandatory ones! Shiva, Ifrit, Quezactol, and Diablos are the only ones the game hands you iirc. All the others are either boss draws, optional bosses, or obtained from totally missable items.

Seems kinda weird that they’d allow you to potentially gimp your Junction options like that…

Ourobolus

Banned
I remember when FF VIII first came out, so many people complained about missing GF draws from bosses. “How was I supposed to know that bosses had GF’s!” they said And I was was like: Why wouldn’t you try to draw stuff from bosses? Bosses always have the best stuff to steal!

But now that I think on it, there are a ton of missable GF’s, actually. In fact, there aren’t many mandatory ones now that I think on it. Shiva, Ifrit, Quezactol, and Diablos are the only ones the game hands you iirc. All the others are either boss draws, optimal bosses, or obtained from totally missable items.

Seems kinda weird that they’d allow you to potentially gimp your Junction options like that…
I totally missed Siren on my first play through

The 25th anniversary thread might have been the reason I joined or at least one of the first threads I can remember. Can't believe its been 5 years.

I think the games I will try and play will definitely be XV. Might try I,II,and IV since I never played them before. I also have X/X2 unopened for that is probably a definite and I never played X-2 before.

Holy shit I'm magic. Just beat FFX's final boss on my second try.

I managed to get the Yu Pagodas stuck in a loop of death/rebirth because Yuna could do 9999 damage to them every cast, which would cause them to respawn with 9999 health EVERY TIME. Just kept wailing on the Final Aeon and he never even got an Overdrive off.

Time for my victory lap

JC Lately

You actually can't miss the GF's other than Gilgamesh in VIII. They're all available in the last dungeon.

Oh, you mean with 99% of the plot is done, every other place on the map is locked to due to disc space time compression, and you have farm AP points for hours so that the GF’s can actually impart useful abilities? And this is after playing for 25+ hours without said abilities?

Technically true, but man I would not want to be the one to do that.

Wazzy

Banned
Oh, you mean with 99% of the plot is done, every other place on the map is locked to due to disc space time compression, and you have farm AP points for hours so that the GF’s can actually impart useful abilities? And this is after playing for 25+ hours without said abilities?

Technically true, but man I would not want to be the one to do that.
Eh, Cactuar AP farming doesn't take that long plus VIII is so easy to break that most summons you missed weren't going to be a deal breaker.

But I did make a mistake in that Doomtrain is technically missable. While Diablos is missable it's only if you head back into Garden otherwise Cid will trigger w conversation while you exit Garden.

kierwynn

Play the PSX versions instead! They're available as PS1 Classics on PSN.

I'm considering it if it becomes too troublesome. I've been wanting to play the anniversary editions since I own them and have yet to actually play them (and I've played most of the other versions already) and thought it would be a good reason to finally do it. That's an option, though, because I'd much rather play on the vita than a psp. lol

Ripping the UMD seems easy enough, too, so that's an option as well...

PS4 version should be fine for XIV right?

Yeah, it runs/plays fine. Just know that its a PC-focused MMO so your general experience might be better there since its better suited to it.

That said, I have plenty of teammates on PS4 and they enjoy themselves just fine.

JC Lately

I forget, how does one stop the Random rule from spreading in Triple Triad? I hate that shit so much.

Also: In FF VI: is there some kind of trick or RNG manipulation that well prompt the auction house to put Zone Seeker magicite up for sale? I’ve been going in and out that damn house for says now and they refuse to put it up! ios version, if that matters

I compiled a list of the mainline entries, and randomly drew from it to decide my order. Looks like the Lightning Trilogy is where I'm starting. I've played through XIII and XIII-2 once each, but only played LR for about 2-3 hours. This is gonna be a long, but fun, year.

Scotia

Banned
Oh, I completely forgot to share my Final Fantasy series history.

The first ever Final Fantasy I ever played was FFVII, but I don't remember how old I was at the time. I was born in 1996 so I definitely didn't play it when it came out. We really didn't get very far in FFVII. Me and my Brother had literally no patience at all and my Dad would do the best he could to help us but he was probably just as clueless as us as what to do. I actually don't think we ever made past the opening bombing mission, that's how bad we were (but also consider the fact we were like 3/6 years old at the time). I remember me and my Brother begging my Dad to let us just move on to disc 2 but he refused, saying that we needed to finish disc one first (thank God he did or else the rest of the game probably wouldn't have felt that special when I played it years later). So after all that we kinda just gave up. There were other games to satisfy us, so Final Fantasy kinda disappeared off my radar until E3 2015. That being said, the little time I spent with the game was enough to satisfy my young tastes. I loved how Midgar looked and those memories of the opening would stick with me for years.

As the years went on we never got another Final Fantasy game again, even though my Brother loved Final Fantasy and would watch Advent Children all the time (Advent Children also coincidentally made me hate Final Fantasy for years due to how bad I think it is). He eventually grew out of games altogether and I had moved on from Final Fantasy as whole by the time I was about 6/7.

Fast forward to last year's E3 and I'm in second year of university. Myself and my friends are watching the Sony conference when a certain trailer plays. I don't know what it is at first and my friends watching the conference with me are just as clueless. Then, all of a sudden, a thought pops into my head:

"That looks like Midgar?"

I suddenly sit up right (Sony's E3 conference is always like 2am here in the UK so I was pretty tired) and I'm glued to my TV. I can't decide on whether what I'm seeing is truly a HD Midgar. Just as I tell myself it's not, Barrett and Cloud appear and I suddenly shout out:

"No way!"

My friends are confused, they have no idea what the fuck is going on. This is just a new game to them. Something they've never seen before. I wait patiently as the words Remake appear on screen. I can't believe the fabled FFVII remake is happening, but my bond with Final Fantasy wasn't as strong as it is now, so I'm not excited as I should be. After the initial excitement, and explaining to my friends what they had just watched, I already mentally move on.

Fast forward to PSX 2015. Myself, my friends from last time and two more of my friends who weren't there at E3 are all watching PSX. We chat as the conference goes on. All of a sudden, one of the friends absent at E3 shouts and points at the TV:

"Final Fantasy 7 Remake!"

Myself and my two friends who weren't there last time (they are massive Final Fantasy fans) dart our eyes over to the screen. We see the PSX FFVII Remake gameplay trailer and marvel at it. One of my friends from E3 who has never touched Final Fantasy in his life is confused. He's never played Final Fantasy and doesn't understand why we're so hyped. My two Final Fantasy loving friends begin telling us about all the awesome Final Fantasy games they've played. My two friends from E3 aren't impressed but I'm hooked. I admit I've never finished FFVII and they're gobsmacked. Shocked. One of my Final Fantasy loving friends vows to play through them all with me one day. Final Fantasy VII port for PS4 comes out that night and I buy it instantly. The next day my friend comes over to my flat and sits with me as I play the game. For the next three weeks we eat, sleep and breathe Final Fantasy VII. I love it. It's fantastic. I'm a 19 year old man and I have tears in my eyes after the end of disc one. It becomes an instant classic for me immediately. We finally finish the game and I demand to play more. My friend has Final Fantasy X for PS4 and we begin playing that the next day. Fast forward to this August and I buy Final Fantasy V, VI, VIII, IX and XIII in anticipation of Final Fantasy XV.

And here I am today. I've beaten Final Fantasy VIII and loved it. Just started playing IX today and I'm liking it. From there I'll play Final Fantasy XIII, VI and V and then XII when it comes out next year.

Apologies for the wall of text but I wanted to share my Final Fantasy story. If you read all of this then wow, I'm impressed and honored.

Tl;DR: I fucking love Final Fantasy.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Started my playthrough of Final Fantasy I.

cfPazU0.png
5KX3Cb4.png

I'm playing the PSX version (Origins) on the normal difficulty level and for some reason I decided to play with four Black Mages. Never did this before and I have no idea if this combination is particularly hard or really, really easy. I haven't played the game in quite a while, it looks so nice. Even if this is a handheld port.

FWBHMdy.png
o3CO4ZO.png
oWh6GG6.png
wo1LJHc.png

First thing to do is to get at least some equipment. Black Mages can't really equip anything useful, but a knife and shirt for everyone is still necessary. But when I reached the magic shop, I realized I am gonna need some money for this. At first I couldn't even give each character a spell. So the first goal was to gather money and level up to at least level 3 and buy as many spells as I could afford. No items yet since potions are a bit expensive at this point and I won't have to go very far to fight the first boss.

VODeEzk.png
cQecjXA.png

Fighting with four weak mages that can't heal isn't all that easy. You can't use your magic very often and the elemental spells only target one enemy. But Sleep seems to have a very high chance to work on those goblins, so this was my preferred spell for the larger enemy groups (especially when you get five enemies).

D3vmiqU.png
WR2UWP5.png

So after a short while my first character died (or wounded or knocked out or whatever), but then again this is Final Fantasy and not Dragon Quest, so I can just heal at the inn, right? Somehow I forgot this is not the case in the first Final Fantasy. You have to revive your characters at the church just like in Dragon Quest. And it costs, too. Which means more money lost that I couldn't use for spells.

X3dZixU.png
Nvxl58J.png
1KaejPp.png

And because I'm such a brilliant player my second character soon died as well while I was trying to gather the money to revive the first and heal at the inn. And then one time I realized too late that you're revived with one HP and not full health, so yeah, that character died again.

THMktpY.png

Somehow I eventually got back to having a complete party again and grinded a bit more until I reached level 3. I don't even know why I wanted to reach level 3, somehow I remembered this to be the sweet spot for the beginning of the game.

Q9jATIA.png
MtbVprT.png
ghLnYfq.png

So, yeah, after I saved and got at least Fire and Bolt for everyone, I could finally head for the first boss fight of the game. Since the Black Mages' defense is so weak and you don't want to waste spells on the way (remember this has that fixed amount of spells you can cast per "magic level"), I ran away from every fight on the way, just like the coward I am. Luckily I didn't get hurt much, there was one enemy advantage battle.

7Acafxh.png
GaVZWGt.png
hFFUM5Z.png

But then the boss fight went a lot more smoothly than I expected. Magic attacks killed him pretty fast, plus even Sleep works on him which is always fun. I could probably already have done this at level 2 which would have been a lot sooner since getting from level 2 to 3 in the starting area takes quite a bit of time. On level 1 your HP is so low that you probably shouldn't bother, plus you can't afford many spells yet.

mVvhlHo.png
zS8MVIf.png
zxyo9TB.png

Anyway, saved the princess, saved the day. The bridge is built, cue the Final Fantasy theme.

bF7sBgY.png
YfKzcRl.png

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
PSY・S;226805920 said:
somebody explain the ps4 tax to me

moedzh.png

It's ridiculous, but most likely the version they expect to garner the most interest, thus the greedy pricing.

It's been on sale for much lower though, hold off as it will very likely happen again.

Jolkien

Been a fan of the series ever since I played IV back when it came out. Just platinumed World of Final Fantasy which was a lot better than I was anticipating.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Playing FFX and I went with the unrestrained sphere grid.

What am I doing. How possible is it to screw up your characters permanently with this?

Jolkien

Playing FFX and I went with the unrestrained sphere grid.

What am I doing. How possible is it to screw up your characters permanently with this?

Nothing permanent as you can level enough to unlock everything. If you never played before I really wouldn't recommend that version of the sphere grid, there's also a lot more empty node that you have to fill up if you aim for the platinum if you are into that stuff.

led4lyfe

Just booted up FFIII for the first time, I'll finish this then complete my ffx save from like 15 years ago. Then maybe for the 35th anniversary I'll finally finish my FFVIII save.

Fou-Lu

I would love to someone get together three other people to play the original Crystal Chronicles through again. I've never done it with a four person party. Unfortunately I don't think it'll be possible.

Hutchie

Have finished vii, viii, x and xv. Vii didnt resonate with me well, viii clicked when i fugred out junctioning but x and xv are my top ones. X i loved the combat and the quest, xv for the freedom and free combat. Will pick up ix assuming there is a psn ff sale in january

jb1234

Reading over the 25th anniversary thread and astonished at the pics for NES FF3. During certain conditions (especially in the overworld), it doesn't look all that far removed from FF4. They did some amazing work late in the NES's lifecycle.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Kind of thinking of giving Lightning Returns a shot. I got it on PC during some steam sale but never loaded it up. I expect to hate the story and characters, but it is the only quasi-mainline FF game I have never played...

Aeana

Let's get started with FF2!

fizl1EK.png

CTwOwva.png

I'll stick with the default names this time.

DkE8s7E.png

The game opens with some sort of FMV... but it's dumb and it makes Maria look like an inept klutz girl.

89bYRor.png
a38Zbnz.png
Rsh46Tu.png

So I'm just gonna skip it.

lsgnNfU.png

The game opens with our party being chased into a forest by imperial soldiers.

bdIQgkW.png
fd2i5qB.png
OFHXBh0.png

It's apparently not their fault that they are killing everyone. Much like when Bart Simpson flails his arms and walks forward, it is the villagers' own fault for getting themselves dead. We must avenge them.

�� Battle Scene 1 ��

jTE6eJV.png
rFNd7QS.png

...Some other time.

--------------------------

�� Revivification ��

pHy5XLG.png

The scene switches to a flash of light a large room with two people standing beside just Firion alone.

ssGYSea.png
NkvSusO.png

Apparently, they only found three of us. Leon, Maria's brother, is missing.

5U56cfo.png
i11oyMS.png
GSpUotb.png

Not waiting to see if Firion is okay, they leave him alone in a room to recover on his own. Apparently, the empire is building a large airship, the Dreadnaught, and war is impending.

ParMQCO.png

Firion finally wakes up, and we exit the room.

�� Reunion ��

tjIWSbb.png
oWzw6Oh.png
VNn51Lh.png

It seems that Hilda is the princess of Fynn, and she saved us, but just as we heard earlier, Leon is missing.

�� Rebel Army Theme ��

8Jdvehj.png
EVxEL7L.png

As our trio are now orphans, Hilda offers to let us stay in Altair. She also tells of us of the password, Wild Rose.

tumblr_mckibuMjh91r9ci8go1_500.gif

FF2 has an interesting system for the time, which allows you to memorize key words and then ask other NPCs about them in order to gain information.

JA4BIY3.png

If you ask about the wild rose, Hilda says it's Fynn's crest. Mentioning it will let others know that you're on the side of the rebel army.

�� Town ��

vZnegwR.png
aZ1t9o1.png
N7fp6fR.png
1oqAhxL.png

In town, we meet some characters who will be significant soon enough. For now, they're just kind of pathetic.

We start with very little money, but a clear objective: go north to Fynn.

�� Main Theme ��

pKCNy3F.png

FF2 has a great world map theme, and it's really cool how airships go flying by at random intervals!

q6DVdNf.png

In a small town north of Altair, we learn that while Fynn has been completely beset by the empire, there is one pub where the owner is believed to not have made it out in time. This is probably significant!

x3Ob4Ob.png
5znx0TH.png
toFpJhh.png

Fynn is very large, and the streets are packed with imperial soldiers. Trying to engage one at this point will only result in tragedy. Fortunately, we can avoid battles simply by avoiding talking to any of the soldiers.

oC9Ao0U.png

Navigating through the city, we eventually come across the pub we heard about earlier.

TlzIAl7.png
TQ6lLZN.png
NNnsLKh.png

Inside, the place is lousy with soldiers. The bartender doesn't seem to care much for them. If we ask him about Wild Rose, he lets us into a hidden back room where he's been keeping an injured soldier.

lISZDfK.png
mBbJzzr.png

He initially thinks we're with the emperor, but once again Wild Rose saves the day. It turns out he's Scott, the brother of that corwardly guy from Altair. Scott asks us to give a message to his brother, to tell him that he has all of the qualities necessary to be king, he just needs to believe in himself. He also tells us that the reason for Fynn's fall was due to Count Borghen's betrayal.

Maria asks him if he knows where her brother, Leon, has gone, but Scott doesn't know. He presents us with a ring to show his beloved Hilda, and passes on Double Dragon style.

xsrlKBU.png
Uf38R5c.png
gHqNSeI.png
'

RfV2emG.png

Back in Altair, we relay the news and show the ring to Hilda. After a brief, non-dramatic-because-this-is-an-80s-RPG mourning, she's back to business.

l5tdbZq.png
JuO3ldX.png

2QKsP0g.png
60f4xid.png
T9rUqdC.png
D6FisYw.png

tumblr_mckibuMjh91r9ci8go1_500.gif

C77sdWN.png
fchMB6i.png

So at this point, Mindu (Minwu, really, but we'll not dwell on that particular localization choice) joins the party. He also comes equipped with a gift: the ether he carries will sell for 1250 gil, which is a fantastic headstart for our party.

At this point in the game, I do the only bit of grinding that I ever do in the game. Which version if the game you play determines how painful this is, with the PSP version being the least painful (in fact, I'd say if you're playing the PSP version, don't even bother with this, because the game will get too easy regardless).

FF2 Tip Corner
One of the biggest mistakes people make when they play this game is that they don't specialize their characters. In order to do well in this game, you should specialize. I personally pick swords for Firion, staff+dagger for Maria, and spears+axe for Gus. I also give one attack magic spell to each of my characters. In this case, I give lightning to Firion, fire to Maria, and blizzard to Gus. Mindu will do well with an attack spell, as well, but he comes with his spellbook full, so you'll have to forget one of his spells first.

My usual goal is to raise at least 30,000 gil and then trek south to Mysidia to buy thief's gloves for all of my party members, and at least the flame lance for Gus. Anything else is a bonus, but the flame lance and thief's gloves help tremendously. However, I'll be putting that off for a bit in this playthrough.

To that end, though, I purchase the spells mentioned above, and then level them to level 2 or 3 for each character. Once the spells are leveled, I head north of Fynn to the swamps.

aMxIAo0.png

Here, you encounter more difficult enemies. Among them are wraiths and ogre mages, which drop spell books and mage's staffs which can sell for up to 5000 gil apiece. When you first start fighting them, they're quite difficult, but after a few successes, it becomes quite easy. Raising the money we want will take less than an hour with good luck.

rEKyncl.png
nDc6RYA.png
UduRmdi.png

Now, after finishing this, I used to go straight to Mysidia. Successfully doing so and making it back would certainly result in quite a leg up in the next parts of the game. However, it can also be quite a pain in the butt to make it there since enemies one-shot you at this point in the game. The "safest" way is to probably go east, taking the ship to Poft and then the airship to Kashuon and going south to the chocobo forest... and this is what I'll do, but not now. I now feel that the benefit of doing so at this exact point of the game doesn't outweigh the time investment, so I put it off. I just collect this money and stat boosts now so that when the time comes, I'll be ready.

N5UoiUN.png

This is where my party stands right now. I've never intentionally attacked myself, although I do use Mindu's "faze" or "anti" spell a couple of times on my party members to raise their MP. From this point forward, I intend to play the game just like I would play any other RPG. And hopefully I can show people how great it is as I go.

Note that if you're playing the PSP version, you should probably never even do the small amount I do here. Stats and spells level so quickly in that version, it's very easy to find yourself overpowered and with spells that cost too much MP.

randomkid

I had the exact same issue as Aeana with that CG intro when I saw it for the first time this month, WTF were they thinking? Totally not an issue with the ones they did for 5 and 6.

Since the write-up is already past the furthest point I ever got in the game I'll have to stop following the updates, but will definitely keep the handy tips and advice in mind for when I start.

Fdkn

I replayed all of them on the 25th anniversary so I don't feel like doing that again, but will surely play a handful of them just because it happens every year,

Regardless of your personal perferences or what you may read on the internet, there are no bad games in the series. You can find a lot of worthy stuff in any of them. You will also find flaws in all of them. I personally think X is the worst but I know it is an unpopular opinion lol

I purchased FF14 and started working my way through the registration/activation process. The game has crashed twice while loading patches. We'll see if I get to the character creator tonight. I also took one look at the guide website and decided that, notwithstanding my complete lack of experience with MMOs, I'll be going in blind. Hey, I've got decades of FF experience. How hard could it be?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Roommate is blasting Apocalypsis Aquarius. I'm reading stories on here reminding me my best friend since we were 12 years old met me because I hummed the Final Fantasy victory theme out loud on the first day of class.

Good times.

Yay, FF2, by the way!

I started ff7 for the first time, i am enjoying it so far. Other ff game i haven't played is ff9, hopefully Sony will release it on PS4.

I was always about to start ff7..then one day i saw the technical teaser in the ps3 days and since then i told myself i'd wait for the remake and its been some years that I've been holding on so I can enjoy the masterpiece that everybody loves. I started it once many years ago but i couldnt swallow the graphics so I'll just play the remaining ones in the series till then.
Curious to play ff5. Gonna be my commute buddy for the next days.

Started my playthrough of Final Fantasy I.

cfPazU0.png

Let's get started with FF2!

fizl1EK.png

Note that if you're playing the PSP version, you should probably never even do the small amount I do here. Stats and spells level so quickly in that version, it's very easy to find yourself overpowered and with spells that cost too much MP.

Wow you two really make me want to start this series with 1. I would be playing the Origins version on Vita if I do, but I have a question on this overpowering spells. Do the spells level up so fast that they require more MP to use than your characters have? Just so I'm clear on the issue.

Top Bottom