• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The February 2011 Thread

I lost some progress in Final Rift probably because I didn't understand How saving works. The game auosaves each time you land on a planet, but I think the save might not really count until you select quit from the back button menu. Anyway that's how I save now and so far no more problems. I made it to the second galaxy, which has aliens and missile upgrades. I'm also getting the hang of the 3d radar, which makes dogfights easier.

Anyone else besides toythatkills try this yet?

I need a snappy domain for my blog (.co.uk probably, I can't afford .com). Any suggestions? All the good ones are taken by blogs that are now dead which is kind of annoying.

Spermatozoon is not a bad game, but I am baffled that this made it out when Privates was banned. You have to press A at the right time to get to the egg in the middle, avoiding the walls (contraception) that rotate around. If you miss, you'll destroy a bit of wall, so it gets easier as you go. Kind of addictive, and thank the lord that contraception in real life isn't destroyed so easily.

I quite enjoyed Super Tank Run too. It's a retro-styled auto-runner, kind of, with a heavy metal soundtrack. Your tank travels along and you can switch into one of four lanes to avoid barricades and collect coins, which is what your final score's based on. It plays pretty well, but definitely needs to be played on the D-Pad. There are a few modes, a timed mode where you just score what you can, a defensive mode where you have three lives and lose one for every barricade you hit, and an offensive mode where you attack oncoming tanks. Pretty good for 80 points, this.

Mind's Eye of Jupiter - 03 is the final part of this trilogy. I hadn't played the other two, and the text scroll at the start of this one implies that it's been entirely insane so far. It's a first-person puzzle kind of game, it looks pretty good, actually. But if you haven't played the other two, probably start there, because it's pretty baffling.

Zombie Sausages isn't bad, but it's anything special either. You just shoot sausages. Sorry, zombie sausages. Either at random in the first mode, which is tiresome, or you snipe a specific one in the second mode which is better but still doesn't look like enough of a challenge to compel you for long.

Ninja 360° is a really nicely-polished time-attack/puzzle platformer. Tight controls and a fairly novel gameplay hook with the gliding, triangle jumping, and room/screen/world rotation. Great look and better music (listen to the full title screen tune). Definitely a Trials-like feel to the finding and refining of the racing line and bettering of performance element. Excellent and comes with a decent amount of Engrish, too.

Now I'm stuck on this mission in final rift where I have to free this system from alien occupation. There's this mothership looking thing and a bunch of alien fighter ships that attack me. It's not really clear if I need to shoot the fighters or just kill the mothership, but I'm not sure if there's a certain weak spot i need to attack or what. Anyway right now I just get my butt kicked. I can come back and do this mission later, but I'll need to complete it eventually because a neighboring planet won't sell me their map fragment until I do.

MightyHedgehog said:
Ninja 360° is a really nicely-polished time-attack/puzzle platformer. Tight controls and a fairly novel gameplay hook with the gliding, triangle jumping, and room/screen/world rotation. Great look and better music (listen to the full title screen tune). Definitely a Trials-like feel to the finding and refining of the racing line and bettering of performance element. Excellent and comes with a decent amount of Engrish, too.
Ninja360° is all kinds of amazing. Seriously, think of a kind of amazing: that's what kind of amazing it is.

You're on a small level and have to collect all the coins to finish it. When you're standing on the level, it rotates with you Mario Galaxy-style. When you're jumping, the level is stationary and you can take advantage of this to get better times or screw up and fall off. If you fall off and die, you don't lose, you just go back to a checkpoint. You are encouraged to exploit this for faster times. Amaze.

MightyHedgehog is absolutely right about the Trials style hook of getting better times. It's almost a puzzle trying to get gold medals, because the times are so difficult to achieve that you've gotta really think outside the box (ew) to achieve them. You can watch a few levels at the start and you'll be like "wow, I'd never have thought to do that." Also, if you achieve a silver medal it unlocks a demonstration of how to achieve gold. And some are just so clever, and use the basic mechanics in such awesome ways.

Pressing X does something with a shuriken. I have no idea what.

99 levels. 99! And 80 points. BUY.

And sometimes Ninja's appear in the background, stealthy and ninja-like, which is really funny

Parallax Scroll said:
Anyone else besides toythatkills try this yet?

I tried it. I thought the controls were unintuitive and frustrating. If I was willing to spend time "learning" the game it might have had promise. But I've got too many other games to play, so I deleted the trial and moved to the next one.

Ventron

You really should go for .com as that's what most people are used to. I registered my domain with GoDaddy, not sure if there's anyone cheaper. These are available: IndiePatch.com, IndieHerald.com, IndieOnlineNews.com

N4Us

toythatkills said:
Mind's Eye of Jupiter - 03 is the final part of this trilogy. I hadn't played the other two, and the text scroll at the start of this one implies that it's been entirely insane so far. It's a first-person puzzle kind of game, it looks pretty good, actually. But if you haven't played the other two, probably start there, because it's pretty baffling.

Haven't played the other two but the first chapter was pretty decent. It took a while to get used to the pointer system, and sometimes needed objects were way too small, but it wasn't too shabby at all for a 3D adventure. I'll have to check 2 and 3 out when I get the chance.

Kafel

Banned
indiereviews.co.uk

Rotor is difficult to control but that's the goal of the game. There are no other helicopters to take down, only challenges. It takes time to learn how to make a perfect trip without bumping everywhere, just like with those (Picooz) helicopter toys.

toythatkills said:
Pressing X does something with a shuriken. I have no idea what.
X during gameplay will toggle a shuriken move around the room to show you a possible solution/path to all of the gold pieces. A hint/solution display, basically.

Y during gameplay will toggle offscreen indicators for the direction of other, closest gold pieces.

RB during gameplay will toggle the background parallax (which is nicely done, BTW) on/off and change the texture of the foreground geometry.

The right stick during gameplay will scroll the screen relative to your position and RT/LT during gameplay will zoom the view (with nice and rare bonus of user-set zoom levels being preserved and initiated for the next room/puzzle you play).

At the stage selection screen, pressing up or down changes the background styles, all the choices of which have an excellent sense of depth (very subtle and nice parallax) to them as you rotate around during gameplay.

Yeah, for 80pts, this is one of the best deals on XBLIG in some time. Lots of play value here and all very polished. Fast loading and instant (in-gameplay) restarts as everything is loaded into memory once initialized, like other similarly time-attack-based games (Super Meat Boy, Trials HD), and it helps to get those gold times.

My only issue is that the glide function (holding jump in the air) seems to intermittently kick off and on when the collision with a part of wall that isn't quite angled flat enough to start scrambling on or to triangle kick off of and this make some tighter maneuvering tougher than it needs to be when you're looking to shave time in repeated plays. Don't press toward a wall you're in front of unless you want to catch onto it...you need to vertically rise over the wall with a held jump and then press over it if you want to clear it cleanly and quickly. Part of the careful design, perhaps, but it does make some movements mildly glitchy-feeling.

I'm more than halfway through the 100 levels and the trick is really resting/landing on flat enough angles (about a half-second) will reorient the world rotation to match your character's horizontal facing and this is key to using the rotation to your advantage. If you want the world to stay in a particular position, you must make certain to have your feet leave the ground in the desired angle. If the angle is too steep to properly walk/land on, the world will slowly rotate as your character scrambles up against the surface until you dismount. Jumping/gliding is definitely important, too, but the rotation is the trickiest thing.

MightyHedgehog said:
X during gameplay will toggle a shuriken move around the room to show you a possible solution/path to all of the gold pieces. A hint/solution display, basically.
I thiiiink X is showing you a ghost of your best time.

I've finished the first 19 levels with silver times or better so far, trying to silver as I go along. It's amazing how taking the obvious perfect route through the level earns you a silver, but then you can see a more efficient route that you had no idea could exist that shaves another second off.

Kafel said:
Rotor is difficult to control but that's the goal of the game. There are no other helicopters to take down, only challenges. It takes time to learn how to make a perfect trip without bumping everywhere, just like with those (Picooz) helicopter toys.
I thought the controls were alright, actually. In a "difficult to control but about 1,000,000 times easier than all the other RC helicopter games on XBLIGs." It's still slightly awkward and takes some getting used to, but it's massively simplified compared to those games that have five different controls on every button and you need five hands and two brains to take off. It looks awesome, but the rest of the game is kinda, simple? There's not really enough to it, there's only a few kinds of challenges and while it's fun flying around, there's not enough to do.

Trivia or Die just came out, from Fun Infused. It's easily the best quiz show game on the service, I think, purely down to the speed it goes at. There's questions every few seconds, unlike the Quizcall games where it takes AGES to load between questions. Speed is where it's at. It's quite funny too, getting questions wrong results in abuse. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure it's for me, I came across a few questions about American universities, and there's a question about US presidents in the trailer. Being from the UK, it's not the kind of knowledge I've ever needed or had!

Ninja Stole My Bike is playable, kind of fun, but offers literally no challenge at all.

Frog SPLAT! is a game where you jump around and try to bounce on other frogs heads to score points, up to four players can get it on. It's alright, or at least will be with some people to play against. Special mention to the background and changing seasons which is a really nice effect.

Project Gert: Moonbreaker is one of those games like Tiki Totems or Tumbledrop on the iPhone. You have a piece at the top on a stack of other pieces, and you have to remove the pieces one by one to make the piece at the top rest on the platform at the bottom. The physics are all wrong. First, the set-up collapses without any input from the player so there's no time to think, and second, they just feel wrong. Sometimes you'll make the piece you need fall to the bottom and then it'll just slowly drift off the side. Really slowly. Nice scoring mechanic though, you get bonus points for every piece you didn't destroy. Nice production too, loads of VA and nice art. Ultimately though, it doesn't feel like it works.

EDIT: Actually, it feels kinda stupid criticising Trivia or Die because I don't know the answers to some questions.

toythatkills said:
I thiiiink X is showing you a ghost of your best time.
Hmmm, you may be right. Weird considering that, at the stage select screen, you can see ghost runs of the top three (gold, silver, bronze) times.

MightyHedgehog said:
Hmmm, you may be right. Weird considering that, at the stage select screen, you can see ghost runs of the top three (gold, silver, bronze) times.
It's pretty helpful, really. If you know you just need another 0.1 seconds you can ascertain pretty quickly whether you're going to make it if the ghost's there, saves time loading the results screen, etc!

8/10 on Eurogamer for Nyan-Tech

Wow, Rotor's fan-freaking-tastic. I almost hate to say this, but I think they would have guaranteed big success for XBLIG, anyway, if this same game were given a Choplifter-like, taxiing, shooting, and dodging element. Just take your chopper up high for a few minutes to fly around to get the hang of things if you're finding it difficult to get to grips with the controls and physics. Very fun once you click, though I confess that I just haven't bothered to finish a single challenge in Arcade mode. I just prefer to fly around through streets and weave among the buildings very closely with custom soundtrack on. Want to see more of this developer doing more with this great start.

Return All Robots is a really charming puzzle adventure. Glad to have seen the positive mentions given here...otherwise, I'd have never known about it and that would have sucked.

A wild blog appears! Go to www.achievementlocked.co.uk for all your Xbox LIVE Indie Game needs!

I apologise for the rubbish banner, I have no artistic talent whatsoever. It serves a vague purpose at least.

I'd appreciate if people bookmarked it, checked it now and then, told anyone that's remotely interested, tweet about it, leave comments, just generally pimp the hell out of it!

Up first is an interview with Kris Steele from Fun Infused Games on their latest title, Trivia or Die. Also, there's some stuff that you'll have seen in this thread already, and some other stuff you won't!

Let me know what you'd like to see, if anything, and I'll do my best.

EDIT: Even I'm having a hard time not calling it "Achievement Unlocked" at the moment. It'll catch on eventually.

toythatkills said:
EDIT: Even I'm having a hard time not calling it "Achievement Unlocked" at the moment. It'll catch on eventually.

Haha, yes - I actually read it as that until I saw the logo! (...at which point I went "ahhhhh, I get it!")...but I tend to skim-read everything and get distracted by pictures, so probably just me ;)

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
toythatkills said:
A wild blog appears! Go to www.achievementlocked.co.uk for all your Xbox LIVE Indie Game needs!

I apologise for the rubbish banner, I have no artistic talent whatsoever. It serves a vague purpose at least.

I'd appreciate if people bookmarked it, checked it now and then, told anyone that's remotely interested, tweet about it, leave comments, just generally pimp the hell out of it!

Up first is an interview with Kris Steele from Fun Infused Games on their latest title, Trivia or Die. Also, there's some stuff that you'll have seen in this thread already, and some other stuff you won't!

Let me know what you'd like to see, if anything, and I'll do my best.

Nice man - I agree that journalistic pieces will be cool, like the one you have about 4.0. Also, editorials and sharing your thoughts on bigger XBLIG topics.

I'd recommend using the "break page" feature so that long posts don't take up your whole first page.

Bookmarked.

I just bought Battle High: San Bruno yesterday. Great game. They should have went at least $2.50 with it though. They short changed themselves.

What's with all the Zombie games? Zombie Turkeys? Zombie Sausages? Are people just trolling the XBL Indie Games service?

SmallCaveGames said:
Nice man - I agree that journalistic pieces will be cool, like the one you have about 4.0.
I'd love to have more stuff like that, kinda relies on stuff happening (and me finding out about it), though!

SmallCaveGames said:
I'd recommend using the "break page" feature so that long posts don't take up your whole first page.
Yeah, that didn't even occur to me. Will fix in the morning!

Dark Octave said:
I just bought Battle High: San Bruno yesterday. Great game. They should have went at least $2.50 with it though. They short changed themselves.

This is a really tough call to make....on the XNA forums, it is highly encouraged for devs to sell their first game for $1. There is still so much experimentation going on.

Going for the $2.50 price point is a bold move to make...you have a very small window of time before you slip off the "new releases" page. The $1 price point increases the chances you might end up in the "top downloads" section.

Liking achievemetlocked btw.....some quality content already. Didnt realize that 78 games were clogging up peer review....glad we decided to wait/upgrade to 4.0

Feep

Banned
OldmanAndroid said:
This is a really tough call to make....on the XNA forums, it is highly encouraged for devs to sell their first game for $1. There is still so much experimentation going on.

Going for the $2.50 price point is a bold move to make...you have a very small window of time before you slip off the "new releases" page. The $1 price point increases the chances you might end up in the "top downloads" section.

Liking achievemetlocked btw.....some quality content already. Didnt realize that 78 games were clogging up peer review....glad we decided to wait/upgrade to 4.0
Yeah, I should really help out with that... = P

Just so you know, you missed a great portmanteau opportunity with "OldMandroid"

OldmanAndroid said:

That's interesting. I guess that does make sense. It's a crazy world where $2.50 is considered a lot of money for a game and $1.50 could potentially be the difference of being noticed or falling into the pit.

I'm going to check out the different price ranges of the top download page, because I have noticed a lot of $2.50 titles on the service in general.

I also heard that your opening price effects how big in size your game is allowed to be.

Dark Octave said:
I also heard that your opening price effects how big in size your game is allowed to be.

Anything under 50mb you can sell for $1, anything over 50mb has to be priced at least $3. Our game has a lot of music, so we had to hack up the music quite a bit (mono) to get under 50mb.

OldmanAndroid said:
Anything under 50mb you can sell for $1, anything over 50mb has to be priced at least $3. Our game has a lot of music, so we had to hack up the music quite a bit (mono) to get under 50mb.
Now I'm curious about your game. Do you have any info you can share?

I'm guessing the max an XBLIG is allowed to be (the biggest I've seen so far) is 150mb right?

Dark Octave said:
Now I'm curious about your game. Do you have any info you can share?

I'm guessing the max an XBLIG is allowed to be (the biggest I've seen so far) is 150mb right?

The biggest I've seen... (wait a minute) The Indie game with the largest file size that I have seen is Weapon of Choice which weighs in at 111MB.

OldmanAndroid said:
Its just the music eating up the space....XNA forces you to use .wav files. We're using an album from 8bit weapon, game details here.

Pretty kickass boxart and the music is nice too. Shame that you had to hack it up.

Feep

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
The biggest I've seen... (wait a minute) The Indie game with the largest file size that I have seen is Weapon of Choice which weighs in at 111MB.
I'm gonna be coming in at 149.99 MB next month, and it's gonna be a stretch to do it. I have around 95 minutes of spoken dialogue, a 26-track 117 minute OST, and a butt-ton of high-res backgrounds and sprites. Compression algorithms YO

Grats to Inertia!

Feep

Banned
toythatkills said:
I swear I downloaded an XBLIG Indie Game that was over 150MB the other week. I've no idea what it might've been though.
To my knowledge, they're pretty strict about the limit. I'd be beside myself with happiness if I could break it, even up to 200 MB. = (

toythatkills said:
I swear I downloaded an XBLIG Indie Game that was over 150MB the other week. I've no idea what it might've been though.

I believe this has been explained that it's the size of the packaged file that counts. On the marketplace games are slightly larger.

Recent example, Project Gert is 62MB but costs 80msp.

Trumpets

Feep said:
I'm gonna be coming in at 149.99 MB next month, and it's gonna be a stretch to do it. I have around 95 minutes of spoken dialogue, a 26-track 117 minute OST, and a butt-ton of high-res backgrounds and sprites. Compression algorithms YO

Out of interest (and if you don't mind sharing) how much has the game cost you to make?

Feep

Banned
Trumpets said:
Out of interest (and if you don't mind sharing) how much has the game cost you to make?
No, I don't mind.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000, probably; I may do an itemized budget after completion to get a more exact figure. The majority of the costs went to art and music licensing, though half of the music was provided for free, and most of the actors worked for free, as well (living in Los Angeles helps). And, of course, I'm not factoring in any costs related to me working somewhere around two thousand hours of the course of 2+ years, so, there's that, too. = D

I also used a Kickstarter campaign, though, which raised over $2000 for development. So really, not so much, all told.

(I also owe one of my musicians a small percent of profit margin if the game sells above a certain number of units.)

HadesGigas said:
I believe this has been explained that it's the size of the packaged file that counts. On the marketplace games are slightly larger.

Recent example, Project Gert is 62MB but costs 80msp.
That makes sense, yeah

Feep said:
... Somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000, probably...
That's less than I thought it'd be!

Kafel said:
Inertia! won Best Non-Professional Game award at DICE.

and $100 000

http://m.gamespot.com/newsDetails.rbml?id=6298811&platform=100
[potential stealing of news for blog]

Just put up a competition to win CuBlocks, if anyone's interested!

www.achievementlocked.co.uk (I promise to only pimp this blog when there's something worth pimping on it!)

Kafel said:
Zombie Football Carnage by Milkstone Studios (Wool).
MotorHeat and Avatar Ninja are by them too, which are both excellent, so I've got high hopes for this!

Even Avatar Bump was weirdly hard to stop playing, even though I'm pretty sure I've played it before in Mario Party.

Kafel

Banned
toythatkills said:
MotorHeat and Avatar Ninja are by them too, which are both excellent, so I've got high hopes for this!

Even Avatar Bump was weirdly hard to stop playing, even though I'm pretty sure I've played it before in Mario Party.

The "Avatar Bump" gameplay is a classics you can find in Fuzion Frenzy as well.

So they've made the good Little Racers too but that's not the point. The point was to promote the underestimated Wool. : P

Everyone should try it in coop by the way.

qupe1975

Neo Member
A nice list of 25 of the best XBLIG games here. Missed a few out but it's a good list.

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2011/02/underground-kings-the-25-best-xbox-live-games/z0mbies#gallery

Ninja360° is an excellent game. Getting the golds is so damn hard though. I have one out of 35 levels done so far. Defintely need more practice.

Am I the only person here who can't really get into Radiangames: Ballistic. I feel I have been overly harsh on the game but every time I play it I just feel nothing. Does it getting better the further in you get?

Kafel

Banned
Thanks, I'm sure these top lists are always useful for people new to the XBLIG.

With more than 1600 games on the service, there's a lot worth trying. I'm sure I could come up with a top 25 quite different but equally good.

qupe1975

Neo Member
Kafel said:
Thanks, I'm sure these top lists are always useful for people new to the XBLIG.

With more than 1600 games on the service, there's a lot worth trying. I'm sure I could come up with a top 25 quite different but equally good.

It's not my list. I just spotted the link on Twitter and had a look through.

I reckon all of us would come up with a top 25.

Not sure if I am allowed to mention it but I run a thread over on Grcade and the front page recommends games in the categories they are listed under on the marketplace.

Ventron

qupe1975 said:
It's not my list. I just spotted the link on Twitter and had a look through.

I reckon all of us would come up with a top 25.

Not sure if I am allowed to mention it but I run a thread over on Grcade and the front page recommends games in the categories they are listed under on the marketplace.

I looked through that thread and noticed something missing, especially under the Role Playing category.

:(

EDIT:
BTW, I'm running a Twitter contest where 1st prize is a free copy of said nameless game, see here: http://www.redcreststudios.com/2011/02/win-copy-of-bonded-realities.html

qupe1975

Neo Member
I am in the process of an update Ventron, next one is due in a week, last one was beginning of Jan and there are a few games that need to go on. Glad you had a look though =)

I like ToythatKills and many others try to promote Indie games as much as possible. There are some great games among the garbage just like anyt other service.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
toythatkills said:
I'd love to have more stuff like that, kinda relies on stuff happening (and me finding out about it), though!

One thing I always thought might be a fun experiment would be a focus group with 5-10 xbox gamers, but about XBLIG. There's no lack of focus or opinion coming from the devs (often a very vocal subset of them). It would be interesting to do a sort of roundtable discussion that dove into the "average gamer." Do they know about XBLIG? Have they ever bought one? Why or why not? What are they looking for when they browse? What are the misconceptions about the service?

Really just getting some candid opinion from the target audience, without talking only to the small percentage who already are familiar and hit up threads like this one. The tricky part is finding and talking to these people in a closed environment, but not impossible.

Depending on the feedback and opinions, you could then do a follow up article talking with devs and do a reaction piece. Aka, bridge some dialogue between the xbox indie devs and the xbox gamers.

Top Bottom