• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

watershed

Banned
I'm kind of expecting that it will have modest presence in the presentation, but then an Invitational Tournament featuring competitive players.

Push plenty of demo units on the show floor, and have the game drop on the last day.

I could see that, but especially a big presence of the Treehouse stream. There's no way they don't play this live and really try to sell the fun of local multiplayer.

Coda

Can't wait for this game, looks like the first killer app for the Switch IMO. Really liking the new character too, she looks really technical and fun to use.

jdstorm

Banned
Nintendo needs money matches and big FGC players to try it. They need to contact these players and get them to try it.

Doing a big tournament over the course of E3 would be a great way to showcase it. You could even give the winner a championship belt. Turn Arms into Virtual Boxing/UFC

Actually with the way Holographic technology is progressing you could stage a big money bout in an actual arena where fans watch life size holographic versions of the characters fight it out.

I just love how creative they are with the "arms" springs, ribbons, chains, bandages, noodles. Wonder what else they can use as an extendable arm.

Similar to BOTW's Switch shirt, I would totally be down for a Switch USB-C charging cable arm lol.

There's also definitely gonna be an arm that references that old Nintendo toy, the "Ultra Hand", they can't miss that.

I didn't notice this at first because his head is at an angle that makes it difficult, but it seems the white robot(?) only has one eye because his other is being covered by... what looks like a scouter from Dragon Ball?

6s0PYlG.png

Also, I think the green "robot" might actually be some sort of goop creature. He's looking a little too shiny to me...

That's where its ear would be. I might be wrong of course but typically eye shapes don't look like that for a right eye. That's the robot's left eye we're looking at, and it's scowling.

Harpoon

That's where its ear would be. I might be wrong of course but typically eye shapes don't look like that for a right eye. That's the robot's left eye we're looking at, and it's scowling.

Oh yeah, I see it now.

As I said before, it's a weird angle. =P Nice to be able to tell what exactly is going with its face now, though.

That 2v2 moment where everyone was activating super mode reminds me so much of EXVS when EVERYONE pops burst at the same time and time stops for almost a full second. It's annoying when in match, but looks awesome during replays with the zoom ins.

And speaking of replays, Nintendo isn't exactly being subtle about this game being pushed as esports. So is there a chance for LAN like Splatoon 2?

Da-Kid

I just love how creative they are with the "arms" springs, ribbons, chains, bandages, noodles. Wonder what else they can use as an extendable arm.
Tentacles, Rope, Rubber, Gum etc.

The trend seems to be of 3 things that something can be based on.
1. Something that is long or varies in length.
2. Something that can be tangled.
3. Something that stretches/extends.

I would like to see a DJ character with earphone wires for arms, or one based on cinematography with arms made of film.

That 2v2 moment where everyone was activating super mode reminds me so much of EXVS when EVERYONE pops burst at the same time and time stops for almost a full second. It's annoying when in match, but looks awesome during replays with the zoom ins.

And speaking of replays, Nintendo isn't exactly being subtle about this game being pushed as esports. So is there a chance for LAN like Splatoon 2?
Already confirmed you can link up 2 Switch's for local play, so it's safe to assume you can for 4 people.

Crazyorloco

Before the direct I wasn't interested... but now I'm getting this day one.

2 vs 2 battles is going to be interesting.
And I like that there are so many gloves.

I like that the stages have relevant gimmicks and themes but don't seem to be damaging or unpredictable like a good number of smash's Stages, they look like legit places to fight on.

So the depth of the game also comes from its stages in addition to the character attributes and ARM types which is good to see for an arena fighter. Certainly probably isn't going to be as deep as Street Fighter but we do need more of these kinds of games that occupy that nice middle ground of Smash.

Game looks amazing, really excited for it. Excellent character design and the game's visual style is fantastic and it seems to have great image quality in addition to being 60fps.

Felensis

Banned
Was my personal highlight during the Switch Preview Event back in January. This game plays so damn good, is much fun and easy to learn, but hard to master. Can't wait to play it again!

This is too high pitched and Japanese for my tastes, and I've watched a decent amount of subbed anime series. The English announcer sounds like a sports broadcaster, which fits pretty well in my opinion.

Yeah the American style is much better here. And the VA is actually pretty good too.

SalvaPot

From what I've heard so far, this game has a superb soundtrack. The main theme alone is soooo good.

I just realized that the ARMS reveal trailer is at 2.6 million views, for reference Xenoblade 2 is at 1.7 million, while 1 2 Swich is at 1.8 million.

Who knows how many can translate into sales, but I think anything around 1 2 Switch sales should be considered a success for a new I.P.

TheSun

That green goop fella is probably gonna be based on those sticky arms u'get at the vending machines.

Lucha(?) lady might be ring ropes if wrestling really is her thing. I dunno what her deal is yet, we only got her face so far.

Robot 1 and 2 is really beyond me tho.

Absolutely loving minmin's design. I actually feel like she's raised the bar for the game's character designs to the point where I feel like the old designs need touching up to catch up with her :p

As one or two posts already mentioned, the ramen bowl beanie is genius XD
Her abilities are really interesting too with counter kick/flash kick and dragon arm while by comparison with an old one, ribbon girl's is... she can jump more?

2v2 is a great addition too :3

Snakeyes

I just realized that the ARMS reveal trailer is at 2.6 million views, for reference Xenoblade 2 is at 1.7 million, while 1 2 Swich is at 1.8 million.

Who knows how many can translate into sales, but I think anything around 1 2 Switch sales should be considered a success for a new I.P.

For what it's worth, it took the original Splatoon reveal trailer a year to reach 2 million views.

mugwhump

I really want local-online coop like Smash 4, my number #1 wanted feature at this point.

Wasn't totally sold on the character designs before, but Minmin looks really good. However, I was expecting more character reveals. Now I'm only expecting 10-12 chars for the final roster.

Top Bottom