• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS footage analysis (stages, DNA themed fighter, audience dresses as characters)

Unicorn

also for people who are interested, Minmin's shoes!

C9XCy6RUQAAf1Oe.jpg

She's really bringing up the dragon motif.
Minmin serving up that Jet Set Radio + Parappa realness.

Usurped Mechanica as my main.

Also want to say every character is on point design-wise.

I didnt evn know they "revealed" future characters.
How did those images appear? I dont remember seeing them when i was watching the direct.

Between Splatoon and Arms, Nintendo must have a factory of designers just churning out fake brand logos 24/7

And mario kart 8.
Mario Odyssey seems to be doing something with brand logos and hats.

As an inide dev, i love creating fake brands in my games, so it doesn't surprise me they are doing it so much.

Neoxon

I kinda hope that the tan lady ends up being the villain of the game. I know it's only a snippet of her face, but I'm getting some Eliza (Skullgirls) vibes from her.

And yeah, Min Min looks fantastic, too. Thanks for this analysis, OP (& the info, RoombaDance).

Berordn

This is the part where I go against the grain and say I don't really like Min Min but I really like Spring Man's design.

That hair is entrancing.

llehuty

I honestly like a lot Spring Man and Ribbon Girl designs and ideas, because they are unique and we have never seen anything like it before. Not surprised at all that they went with them as "main characters". Robot, mummy, ninja and street wear types of characters can be seen elsewhere. They are all superbly designed, though.

Golnei

This is the part where I go against the grain and say I don't really like Min Min but I really like Spring Man's design.

That hair is entrancing.

The spring hair on its own is an okay idea, but the facial features (and especially facial proportions) combined with the bland costume don't lead to very striking results. The balance between overdesigned and unremarkable is difficult to get right, especially when dealing with 'default' characters in a larger roster - with Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, I feel like they're boring designs centred around gimmicks that could have worked.

Like how the squid theme of Splatoon developed around its prototypical concept of a swim/stealth mechanic, what makes the character art click is that expresses and extrapolates from the gameplay hook of Arms. It's as though there was a brainstorming meeting to come up with every kind of flexible/extensible material for the concept artists to play with as they please.

I usually overlook unlockable concept art galleries, but this is the rare game that makes me crave the inclusion of one.

What other things coil? I'm half expecting a snake-themed fighter at this point, if Minmin's dragon doesn't already have that covered.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I've got a feeling we're going to see a lot of cool cosplays come out of this game. Simple costume matchups should be cool enough, but I'm excited to see people do cool shit with the Arms.

Also, put me down for a Minmin beanie day one. Orange is my favorite color, so I'd buy the thing even without the context of it being attached to a cool character.

Mista Koo

Spring Man is such a terrible character design compared to someone like Minmin. How do you go from the instantly iconic Inkling girl to SPRING MAN? I know the "Ryu" of fighting franchises is supposed to be fairly generic, but Spring Man manages to be both extremely bland and offensively ugly at the same time. Ribbon Girl is also pretty bad. I thought they were supposed to be superheroes, but she has an idol gimmick? Then why is she RIBBON GIRL? Why does she wear a mask?

Please don't put Spring Man in Smash, Sakurai.

SPRING MAN
I completely disagree. The spring motif works great, and his color scheme with blue hair is very striking. And just being an athlete is really enough for what he is.
With Ribbon Girl I agree. Even though the ribbon motif even better than the spring she's essentially the "girl" character in girly costume with girly colors. Different colors help her look more unique (although I would've made her costume more interesting too).

As for Spring Man, I don't mind his design and all, but I do agree that some of the character names are a little too on-the-nose, even if they are assumedly just "ring names." They could have made some things that are still referential without being so obvious. Until proven otherwise I'm going with my personal headcanon that Spring Man's real name is Coyle.
Agreed. They almost wanted the cast to be a sentai/Wonderful 101 team of sorts which I don't think it fits the game at all.

Why are people saying the hidden woman is a lucha libre fighter? Because she has a mask over her eyes?
Because she's brown.

Also, put me down for a Minmin beanie day one. Orange is my favorite color, so I'd buy the thing even without the context of it being attached to a cool character.

Came to post the same thing! If this game takes off like I think it can, Nintendo could merchandise the hell out of it. Toy "ARMS" gloves for kids, t-shirts, hats, Amiibo galore. . .

Not only does Mechanica have normal eyes unlike the rest of the cast, she also has normal hair, while others have weird shit like Ribbon Girl having ribbons for hair and Min Min having noodles for hair.

Galang

Banned
Spring Man is iconic. Eww at anyone shading his design. The game's artstyle is on point! Even more so than splatoon imo.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Spring Man is iconic. Eww at anyone shading his design. The game's artstyle is on point! Even more so than splatoon imo.

I think they clearly took an idea or two from Splatoon's design, which is great. From the colors to the comic look and even the small "lore" bits behind all the made-up companies and accessories. It's cool looking, and I love how Nintendo takes back the 'cool'.

Agreed. They almost wanted the cast to be a sentai/Wonderful 101 team of sorts which I don't think it fits the game at all.

It's funny that, while the game is nominally inspired by boxing, it seems to derive a lot from wrestling, in terms of costumed characters with archetypal gimmicks. Seriously, we're an alien short of it being Kinnikuman but for boxing.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Splatoon 2 > ARMS > Splatoon
In terms of artstyle

I dunna I find arms much better telegraphed. splaoton's always been kinda ugly. I mean the concept and everything your doing is great but the visuas and clarity leave a bit to be desired. Arms looks like your playing a Pixar game. you could blow it up at any resolution and it'd look fantastic.

wartama

Neo Member
Eww at those weight jokes. I expected better than this, Nintendo.

I'm sure the motif of the masked lady is flowers/petals. Her eyelashes scream 'flowers'.

Though I'm sure nothing will top MinMin's design.

Splatoon 2 > ARMS > Splatoon
In terms of artstyle
I strongly disagree, what makes Spla2n different from Splatoon? The in game models look barely different and the 2d art is exactly the same.
Not saying it is better or worse than Arms, but I was majorly disappointed when Spla2n was revealed, I wanted an overhaul of the art direction and it didn't happen. (this fueled the "it is just an enhanced port!!" criticism it is receiving now).

Deku89

I would love for there to be a campaign mode where each character will have their own story. I would also like as you go along, the more you win, the more fans you will have.

Mandelbo

I completely disagree. The spring motif works great, and his color scheme with blue hair is very striking. And just being an athlete is really enough for what he is.
With Ribbon Girl I agree. Even though the ribbon motif even better than the spring she's essentially the "girl" character in girly costume with girly colors. Different colors help her look more unique (although I would've made her costume more interesting too).

That looks pretty good - I wonder whether there'll be colour alts in the full game? I certainly hope so!

Eww at those weight jokes. I expected better than this, Nintendo.

I'm sure the motif of the masked lady is flowers/petals. Her eyelashes scream 'flowers'.

Though I'm sure nothing will top MinMin's design.

I assume you're refering to MinMin's bio?

Min Min
Belongs To: Noodle Dining Hall
Height: 167cm
Weight: On a diet

I thought it was funny

Edit:
Oh Ribbon Girl has a weight joke too

Ribbon Girl
Belongs To: Ribbon Label
Height: 169cm
Weight: Only as much as her fans think!

Yeah these jokes may be a bit off actually.

I can't wait, I'm interested to see what that mysterious white robot with the purple eyes looks like. I already want to main MinMin but if it/him/her looks cool and has a cool ability, I may have to reconsider. Also I wish we had more samples of the music.

Biff needs to be character lol.

Speely

Banned
Never thought I would say this, but I am curious about the green sexbot.

Ok, I've said that before a couple times.

llehuty

That looks pretty good - I wonder whether there'll be colour alts in the full game? I certainly hope so!
I guess they will have to, they need to give an option for players taking the same character. Moreso, now that we know that there are 2vs2 combats.

I wanna see an origami fighter with origami arms :3 That would be kinda neato; the fighter could fold into a paper airplane and maybe have shorter range but with faster retraction or something.

PSqueak

Banned
Great Tumblr bait there, Nintendo.

Im pretty sure Mechanica is the classic "Fan who made her way into the league character", prolly meant to be as in "she's her biggest fan", notice Mechanica is the only one who is not seemingly funded by an actual business entity (im willing to bet she made her suit herself from scraps).

Think of F-zero racers like Draq and Dr. Clash.

That said, tumblr is gonna tumblr.

Aleh

I am absolutely in love with this game's art style. If it has a single player campaign with larger arenas/maps of some kind with bosses it'll be perfect.

Harpoon

The green guy sure does look a lot like the creatures in the lab tubes. He's got something metal on his head, and the tube creatures also have what looks like faucets or handles on theirs. Looking pretty likely the lab's his stage.

OeEjt9o.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The green guy sure does look a lot like the creatures in the lab tubes. He's got something metal on his head, and the tube creatures also have what looks like faucets on theirs. Looking pretty likely the lab's his stage.

OeEjt9o.jpg

Yup. The tube guys also have the DNA string arms.

jonno394

The green guy sure does look a lot like the creatures in the lab tubes. He's got something metal on his head, and the tube creatures also have what looks like faucets on theirs. Looking pretty likely the lab's his stage.

OeEjt9o.jpg

Yeah i've been thinking the same as well. Didn't notice the things on their heads, now i'm certain it is the character/stage.

The green guy sure does look a lot like the creatures in the lab tubes. He's got something metal on his head, and the tube creatures also have what looks like faucets or handles on theirs. Looking pretty likely the lab's his stage.

OeEjt9o.jpg

Yeah i've been thinking the same as well. Didn't notice the things on their heads, now i'm certain it is the character/stage.

Same bulb shape. Has to be it.

Harpoon

Also forgot to mention that I'm pretty sure I can see the same large lips that the green guy has on the one closest to the screen on the left there. So that's more evidence for the pile.

Top Bottom