• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS data-mined: 20 fighter codenames found! Also, Nintendo says an update is soon.

Neoxon

We got the official character render for Lola Pop.

DJpnHd6VAAUM0P0.png

Neiteio

Pffft

One of Lola's Rush voiceclips is literally just "HONK HONK".
I tried her out briefly last night. My favorite voice clip is "Prurubububu!" Or something like that.

Also, her alternate colors are amazing. Love the root beer alt, and the rainbow one.

She's a really fun character. The whole game feels so weird and new now that I can actually block with a button, lol.

I tried her out briefly last night. My favorite voice clip is "Prurubububu!" Or something like that.

Also, her alternate colors are amazing. Love the root beer alt, and the rainbow one.

She's a really fun character. The whole game feels so weird and new now that I can actually block with a button, lol.

She's got so much personality; I hope that trend continues with the next fighter! I agree, her alts are good; it's hard to find a favorite...!

She IS really fun; I love bouncing around constantly! Played a Helix last night who had no idea what to do; he just kinda stayed Stretched and threw the occasional Tribolt (don't worry, I had the Clapback!)

Introducing Wally Weasel, Now in Stunning 3D!

Wally Weasel is a typical "rubber hose" style black and white cartoon character. Despite the name, he doesn't really resemble any animal in particular. His arms aren't coiled like other fighters, they just stretch cartoonishly. He bears a constant toothy grin and merrily dances to the beat of whatever music is playing. Wally's move to 3D space wasn't perfect, he still drips ink from some places, especially when hit. He's a rather short fellow, easily the shortest fighter; thankfully he's not difficult to hit, as he wears a top hat that counts as part of his hitbox. Wally's logo is a silhouette of his head. When Wally's primary ability kicks in, his appearance changes…

For decades now, Wally Weasel has been one of the most beloved cartoon characters in the ARMS World. Still animated in black and white even today, Wally's cartoons have stood the test of time and appeal to kids and adults alike. Even his eternal enemy, Farmer Frank has his fans, to the point where Frank even gets his own episodes every now and again. When ARMS as a sport became popular, the creators of the Wally cartoons began incorporating stretchy arms into Wally's cartoons. This boosted his appeal considerably, but the cartoons' popularity is still rather low compared to the ARMS Grand Prix. Desperate to boost their ratings back to the levels they used to have, Wally's creators scheduled a meeting with Dr. Coil. Nobody knows what was said in that meeting, but everyone knows the results: Wally Weasel, in the flesh, became an ARMS Fighter with very few issues in the process. He's still popular with kids, and he's recently developed a bit of a rivalry with Helix. Perhaps the blobby fellow is jealous of the inky fighter's popularity…?

Wally's main mechanic lies in his primary ability: Inkomplete. As hinted, Wally's newfound existence came at a price: his inky body is rather unstable. Upon being knocked down, he melts into a puddle of ink only to rise as someone more sinister: Farmer Frank.

Frank has been the villain of Wally's cartoons since the beginning; he's an imposingly tall, rotund fellow wearing tattered overalls, a sleeveless flannel shirt, and a broad brimmed hat that's perpetually pulled over his eyes. The only part of his face that can be seen is his sinister grin and beard. He constantly chews a sprig of wheat, and his muscular arms bear matching pitchfork tattoos. Frank has been frightening kids for years, and yet he's nearly as popular as Wally himself. However, the move to 3D has treated Frank worse than Wally: he constantly pours ink from his body and he seems distorted and off in general, especially his now drippy beard.

As Frank, Wally's stats change considerably. He goes from the smallest character to the largest by a considerable margin, even taller than Stretched Helix! Also, his speed and jump height drop sharply, and his ARM Girth becomes positively gargantuan, bigger than even Master Mummy's. In addition, he gains Mummy's flinch armor, a different grab, and a new secondary ability. This transformation lasts until Frank is knocked down, which causes him to become Wally again. As a final detail, Frank actually has a different logo than Wally: a silhouette of his head bearing his wide grin.

Wally's secondary ability is Slippery Devil. By holding a Dash or Air Dash, Wally can become a pressurized stream of ink with a minuscule hitbox. This allows him to more easily avoid attacks that would hit a less agile character. He cannot attack while using this ability, but it can be held to dash for a considerable distance.

Frank, on the other hand, has Southern Charm. By holding a charge for a while, Frank can lift up the brim of his hat, revealing his wild spiraling eyes and the ink pouring down his ugly mug. The sight of his face unnerves even the toughest ARMS Fighter; any foe in front of Frank when he does this is forced to immediately Dash away or get stunned if they're incapable of dashing. This is a nice way to get foes out of the painfully slow Frank's face.

Signature ARMS:

Blotter
: A Glove-type ARM that is based on the typical cartoonish white gloves. Compared to regular gloves, these are a good bit larger and have somewhat better homing. They bear the Blind attribute, smearing black ink on the victim's screen. As an Easter Egg, using these ARMS as Frank will instead plaster his face on the victim's screen.

Boomstick: An extremely cartoony shotgun, the Boomstick is a Unique ARM that works somewhat similarly to a combination between the Guardian and the Revolver. When thrown, the Boomstick flies at a somewhat slow clip towards the foe. With another punch, the Boomstick immediately fires off a cluster of 4 miniature boxing gloves. Essentially, this is a more mobile, multi-staged Revolver. The Boomstick bears the Fire attribute. Again, using these as Frank triggers an Easter Egg: the tiny boxing gloves become tiny pitchforks. No change in damage or function, just a cosmetic change.

Mallet: This Whammer-type ARM appears to be made of wood. It's much larger than the other Whammers and bears no attribute, growing even bigger when charged. As Frank, charged Mallets become absolutely colossal weapons. Once again, they have a Frank related Easter Egg: hitting a foe with it causes cartoony birds to circle their head for a while. Again, merely cosmetic.

Stage: Hayseed Studios

Set on a soundstage where some films featuring Wally were filmed, Hayseed Studios is a somewhat odd stage. For starters, everything is painted black and white, making colorful characters stand out. Also, all sorts of cartoon antics occur: sticks of dynamite explode, anvils and pianos fall from the sky, bottomless pits open in the floor, etc. All of these hazards deal a bit of damage, and are telegraphed to avoid frustration. The music here is a swinging ragtime version of the ARMS theme played through an audio filter that simulates an old radio.

ckfy63a

I really hope the wait for the next character isn’t nearly as long as the wait for Lola Pop was. I’d say a month or so from now would be ideal. The Max Brass update came around a month after Ver 1.0, which felt about right. I guess that one came quicker since Brass and his stage and ARMS were already in the game, but from the data mine I have to believe they’re not literally creating these assets from scratch in between major releases?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
See I thought it was rootbeer too but yellow and white are there, usually the complement of chocolate or as Magnet_Man said coffee is usually toffee, caramel or milk.

DMiz

Not a big fan of that official render but she sounds amazing from the way that she mixes up the gameplay. Sounds like it's time to get back into ARMS!

Another tidbit of lore has appeared:

DKIr8tgVYAAKZ88

Biff said:
ARMS History 5: The original ARMS Organization gave the ability-based fighting sport the name 'ARMS'. At the same time, in order to professionalize, the organization changed its name and separated into two distinct sub-organizations. There is the ARMS League, which manages things like tournaments and fighter development, as well as the ARMS Lab, which carries out fundamental ability research and product development.

Note that Biff appears in the old photograph and the comic book cover...

Also note that bird logo. It's appeared a few times in the lore so far; could one of our future fighters have ties to that logo...?

Zubz

Banned
Another tidbit of lore has appeared:

DKIr8tgVYAAKZ88

Note that Biff appears in the old photograph and the comic book cover...

Also note that bird logo. It's appeared a few times in the lore so far; could one of our future fighters have ties to that logo...?

This game's backstory is so cool. Why isn't more of it in the game? Or, like... In a series? I want to know more about that old team! Proto-Spring Man looks cool, & I want to know more about Biff. Looks like we might also have a springy samurai on the old team, too?

This game's backstory is so cool. Why isn't more of it in the game? Or, like... In a series?

It's really odd, yes...

I do wonder what the main purpose of this particular entry is. We already knew ARMS Labs and the ARMS League were two separate groups...

Say, look at the comic again. Check out that fellow to the left of "Spring Man". He looks almost like some kind of Frankenstein's monster, complete with some kind of metal plate on his face...

Rafavert

IMG_2161.jpg

Hm.

He seems to have a metal jaw, and close inspection seems to suggest his neck is springy.

...could this be Robo?

My first thought was actually... Master Mummy.

The old photo seems like.. a wedding? I think that's Max Brass on the left with his arm stretched, a couple holding domino masks and a guy with a Japanese attire on the right. And Biff.
Just who is Biff....? And who's the guy on the comic book cover? He's also in the photo. Could these be the first generation of ARMS fighters?

My first thought was actually... Master Mummy.

The old photo seems like.. a wedding? I think that's Max Brass on the left with his arm stretched, a couple holding domino masks and a guy with a Japanese attire on the right. And Biff.
Just who is Biff....? And who's the guy on the comic book cover? He's also in the photo. Could these be the first generation of ARMS fighters?

IMG_2162.png

Yes, it does look like a wedding...

I'm inclined to agree that the fellow with his arm raised is a younger Max Brass. It appears that the Spring Man-esque fellow is clad in a military peacoat; he almost looks like a pilot in the photo...

Also note that it appears that the gentleman in the center is the fellow with the metal jaw. He also seems to have a plate over his eye? It's worth noting that his very sparse hair is coiled like many fighters we've seen.

The samurai looking fellow to the right has coiled hair as well, and conveniently has sleeves covering his arms...

Judging by the large ARMS League logo in the back, I'm inclined to say all of these people are either employees of the League or competitors from bygone days.

The question is: is Brass the only one still fighting?

WAIT A TIC; the Spring Man fellow has the Champion's Belt in the wedding photo.

Rafavert

IMG_2162.png

Yes, it does look like a wedding...

I'm inclined to agree that the fellow with his arm raised is a younger Max Brass. It appears that the Spring Man-esque fellow is clad in a military peacoat; he almost looks like a pilot in the photo...

Also note that it appears that the gentleman in the center is the fellow with the metal jaw. He also seems to have a plate over his eye? It's worth noting that his very sparse hair is coiled like many fighters we've seen.

The samurai looking fellow to the right has coiled hair as well, and conveniently has sleeves covering his arms...

Judging by the large ARMS League logo in the back, I'm inclined to say all of these people are either employees of the League or competitors from bygone days.

The question is: is Brass the only one still fighting?

It'd make sense to be Mummy since he's looking for his lost family (assuming this is indeed a wedding).

Also... Why was the photo ripped? You'll notice that the ripped part seems focused on Biff.

It'd make sense to be Mummy since he's looking for his lost family (assuming this is indeed a wedding).

Also... Why was the photo ripped? You'll notice that the ripped part seems focused on Biff.

I hesitate to say that it's Mummy because he doesn't have the metal jaw "today". I'd imagine he'd carry something like that into the afterlife.

I wonder that myself. Is it a grudge against the former champ?

...or is Biff not telling us something about himself?

Rafavert

I hesitate to say that it's Mummy because he doesn't have the metal jaw "today". I'd imagine he'd carry something like that into the afterlife.

I wonder that myself. Is it a grudge against the former champ?

...or is Biff not telling us something about himself?

Yeah. The metal jaw throws a wrench at my theory.

Hiding something like... his age? Is he even human?

By champion do you mean the cover guy? I don't think that'd be the case. If it were, he would have been completely ripped from the photo. We can see only a bit of him was ripped.

Edit: the symbol behind them is the ARMS League one, right?

Second edit: On a closer look, it seems the girl on the cover is the one on the leftmost side of the photo, sans the mask.

Yeah. The metal jaw throws a wrench at my theory.

Hiding something like... his age? Is he even human?

By champion do you mean the cover guy? I don't think that'd be the case. If it were, he would have been completely ripped from the photo. We can see only a bit of him was ripped.

Edit: the symbol behind them is the ARMS League one, right?

Not that it's a bad theory; he does have Mummy's square features.

I kind of wonder if Biff is more sinister than he lets on. Something about him appearing throughout history rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I have another yellow, mascot-like, apparently ageless character with a four-letter name on my mind.

Yes, the Spring Man lookalike with the Champ's Belt in the photo. That's a good point; it does seem like Biff is the center of the torn off part.

Yes; that's the League's logo.

Yes, she does seem to be the same girl...

I think there's a young child between the woman on the left and "Brass." Could they be a family? Is that Spring Boy?

Edit: Considering the age of the photo, that can't be Spring Man. Maybe his father? Or maybe that's Brass, and the big one's Papa Brass... Hm.

Baseless theory time: Biff is a sort of personification of the ARMS Gene itself. He appeared with the gene sometime in the far past and has lived alongside the sport as it grew and grew. Maybe he has some ulterior motive; maybe he doesn't. Either way, he's intrinsically tied to the Gene and the sport it birthed.

It's possible the ARMS group was initially a secret organization to fight Nazis or something

I do wonder if they were originally a crime fighting syndicate, given that some of them definitely appear to be heavily inspired by Silver Age superheroes, especially Brass...

Zubz

Banned
Guh... ARMS really needed a better outlet to share about its plot beyond single images upon beating the final boss. They clearly have a lore being built up here, & I want to know more about it! The old ARMS crew is reminding me a lot of TW101... except with a chance of a sequel.

My guess is that the 4 coiled hair people may show up down the road, but none of them seem to directly correlate with the codenames unless the one we're guessing is Max Brass is, well... Max Brass.

If I had to guess, though... Maybe Metal Jaw is (Dr.) Coil, the samurai is Scroll, & Retro Spring Man is... Chain? His ARMS are obscured, although they don't seem chain-like. Or maybe they'll all be saved for a sequel.

Baseless theory time: Biff is a sort of personification of the ARMS Gene itself. He appeared with the gene sometime in the far past and has lived alongside the sport as it grew and grew. Maybe he has some ulterior motive; maybe he doesn't. Either way, he's intrinsically tied to the Gene and the sport it birthed.

I can definitely see that. He definitely seems non-human in origin.

Guh... ARMS really needed a better outlet to share about its plot beyond single images upon beating the final boss. They clearly have a lore being built up here, & I want to know more about it! The old ARMS crew is reminding me a lot of TW101... except with a chance of a sequel.

My guess is that the 4 coiled hair people may show up down the road, but none of them seem to directly correlate with the codenames unless the one we're guessing is Max Brass is, well... Max Brass.

If I had to guess, though... Maybe Metal Jaw is (Dr.) Coil, the samurai is Scroll, & Retro Spring Man is... Chain? His ARMS are obscured, although they don't seem chain-like. Or maybe they'll all be saved for a sequel.

I can definitely see that. He definitely seems non-human in origin.

Were I to hazard a guess:

Metal Jaw - Robo or Coil

He has a springy neck and a bolt holding his jaw on; not exactly giving me human vibes, but he could indeed be Coil.

Samurai - Scroll or Chain

I agree that Scrolls fit well, but he could be Nin's sensei?

Retro Spring - No idea

Lady on the left of the photo - No clue

Zubz

Banned
He has a springy neck and a bolt holding his jaw on; not exactly giving me human vibes, but he could indeed be Coil.

I dunno. If it's just the jaw, I'm hesitant to call him "Robo." Even though we'd need to have someone really robotic, since we already have 2 robots filling up a character slot here.

I dunno. If it's just the jaw, I'm hesitant to call him "Robo." Even though we'd need to have someone really robotic, since we already have 2 robots filling up a character slot here.

Fair point; I suppose we'll simply have to wait and see how these people tie into the "present day" of ARMS!

Zubz

Banned
I was actually totally unaware of the new stage dropping, or even being teased. Which is weird: this is a stage the game should've launched with. I love gimmick stages, but you need a no-nonsense stage for when shit gets real.

I guess this means we'll be learning about the old ARMS team in the not-too distant future, at least!

Bridges

I was actually totally unaware of the new stage dropping, or even being teased. Which is weird: this is a stage the game should've launched with. I love gimmick stages, but you need a no-nonsense stage for when shit gets real.

I guess this means we'll be learning about the old ARMS team in the not-too distant future, at least!

I wonder if putting it in the game from the beginning would've affected the way the competitive scene developed, it's possible that it could've become this game's "Final Destination" and restrict use of all the other varied stages.

Though I say this knowing nothing about the current nature of competitive ARMS and what stages are currently considered "legal" if such a consensus has even been formed yet.

Top Bottom