• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not sure if it was posted: different playthrough of the Sony press conference gameplay footage

"B-Roll" footage trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ3fNSNG9l8&hd=1

Looks still great, but is it just me or is the gameplay not rock solid 30fps anymore? Probably just the video...
All the footage released has an encoding issue that makes the framerate seem lower than it actually is. Only DF seems to have the 1080p/ full 30fps video and they're not sharing.

Respawn

Banned
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/30/killzone-shadow-fall-on-ps4-conversations-with-creators/

Steven Ter Heide didn't say anything about multiplayer WTF? give us something anything my balls are going to explode from the waiting

Apparently, they already did. :)
image3qucq.jpg

LOLLLL!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Where are these "Target" and "Theory" shots models coming from? Did I miss somthing?

Killzone Shadowfall
Infamous Second Son
Drive Club
WatchDogs

and Possibly BattleField 4

all on launch day?

Best launch ever.

Where are these "Target" and "Theory" shots models coming from? Did I miss somthing?

Killzone Shadowfall
Infamous Second Son
Drive Club
WatchDogs

and Possibly BattleField 4

all on launch day?

Best launch ever.

We may have a surprise or two for the launch, as well, after E3.

i-Lo

It's a slide from their technology presentation.

The better the graphical fidelity gets the more the small stuff start to matter. For example, I am wondering whether those two strings descending the side of the hood at the front animate according the motion of the individual. It'd probably bug me now but this generation I wouldn't have cared and last generation I wouldn't even expected them to even exist.

So in the end, the small things (cloth physics, animations, collision detection, LoD pop in, object pop in, texture pop in) are what will define next gen and some folks say we are hitting that diminishing return at a place where there won't be substantial difference between the two gens... yea lawl.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The better the graphical fidelity gets the more the small stuff start to matter. For example, I am wondering whether those two strings descending the side of the hood at the front animate according the motion of the individual. It'd probably bug me now but this generation I wouldn't have cared that and last generation I wouldn't even expected them to even exist.

So in the end, the small things (cloth physics, animations, collision detection, LoD pop in, object pop in, texture pop in) are what will define next gen and some folks say we are hitting that diminishing return at a place where there won't be substantial difference between the two gens... yea lawl.

I'm pretty sure they are also aiming for cloth physics. They just needed to wait until the had a devkit with the dedicated audio hardware since they were doing all that on the CPU in February and move some things into GPU compute. They also may wind up with another CPU core to work with and they'll have substantially more RAM. Big upgrades are in store for this game from what we saw in Feb.

RiverBed

Banned
I am very impressed by how 'clean' KZSF looks (no grainy or foggy filter shit). The videos and pics look very smooth and clean. I am extremely interested to see how the MP looks (since I MP is generally a little less graphically impressive than SP). I know that first generation games look nothing like later gen games on the system, but I am very impressed already.
I am tiered of the over saturated 'grainy/dirty/out of focused/confusing shit of constant filters applied to many top tier games this gen....

i-Lo

I'm pretty sure they are also aiming for cloth physics. They just needed to wait until the had a devkit with the dedicated audio hardware since they were doing all that on the CPU in February and move some things into GPU compute. They also may wind up with another CPU core to work with. Big upgrades are in store for this game from what we saw in Feb.

Personally, I'm not expecting much given it's a launch title. KZ2 came about 3 years after the launch of PS3 and so they a lot of time gathering experience and iterating on their engine before it was put out. As we both know, SF doesn't feature tessellation. So things like that and the part about exploiting compute functions for physics related tasks are things we ought to expect from their next title. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they can pull it somewhat pull it off for SF however.

took anyone attention to the music and how genuinely good it's fitting to the scene?

I thought I was the only one. It has a Blade Runner vibe in the beginning.

I am very impressed by how 'clean' KZSF looks (no grainy or foggy filter shit). The videos and pics look very smooth and clean. I am extremely interested to see how the MP looks (since I MP is generally a little less graphically impressive than SP). I know that first generation games look nothing like later gen games on the system, but I am very impressed already.
I am tiered of the over saturated 'grainy/dirty/out of focused/confusing shit of constant filters applied to many top tier games this gen....

It's actually using FXAA at the moment, I hope they implement that new AA method they were talking about in those slides before release :p

BTW the B-roll footage is from February, it was uploaded to the Youtube channel called Killzonedotcom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUjQ4DJXLzw

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Personally, I'm not expecting much given it's a launch title. KZ2 came about 3 years after the launch of PS3 and so they a lot of time gathering experience and iterating on their engine before it was put out. As we both know, SF doesn't feature tessellation. So things like that and the part about exploiting compute functions for physics related tasks are things we ought to expect from their next title. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they can pull it somewhat pull it off for SF however.

I'm pretty sure it is using tessellation for edges (look at the fingers/rubble piles), just not as a replacement for LODs.

I really want to see MP for KZ:SF! After all that eye candy 20/2. I would love to see them expand it a bit, maybe bigger maps, vehicles. If it plays like a next gen KZ, I'll be happy all the same. :)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The better the graphical fidelity gets the more the small stuff start to matter. For example, I am wondering whether those two strings descending the side of the hood at the front animate according the motion of the individual. It'd probably bug me now but this generation I wouldn't have cared and last generation I wouldn't even expected them to even exist.

This post reminds me of Watch Dogs. The leaves on the ground don't react to the wind and it's all I think about whenever I see a clip of that game. Why are the damn leaves glued to the ground?!

That Killzone target model is one of the best characters I've ever seen. Different parts of his outfit actually look like different materials. Hopefully they're able to hit that model in game.

I really want to see MP for KZ:SF! After all that eye candy 20/2. I would love to see them expand it a bit, maybe bigger maps, vehicles. If it plays like a next gen KZ, I'll be happy all the same. :)
yea same here, I am hoping for a BF clone in the Killzone universe >_>

but most likely we will get infantry only 32 player arena battles like Killzone 2

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This post reminds me of Watch Dogs. The leaves on the ground don't react to the wind and it's all I think about whenever I see a clip of that game. Why are the damn leaves glued to the ground?!

That Killzone target model is one of the best characters I've ever seen. Different parts of his outfit actually look like different materials. Hopefully they're able to hit that model in game.

The material differences are related to the lighting model. They can just designate different parts of textures as different materials and the light will reflect/refract accordingly. It's really cool and speeds up development a lot. It's very easy for this game to do.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Yeah, I hope they mostly show MP at E3. I'm not a big MP guy but I liked KZ2's, even though I mostly played with bots because of my college internet connection, and I don't want to spoil too much of the campaign. It's going to be difficult for me to go on blackout for next gen games after E3. I've been analyzing them so much recently but I don't want to ruin the games for myself.

RiverBed

Banned
absolutely and the transition to scenes without music to scenes with music is very good. it really feels like the music direction in games like journey or portal.

Yup. Some just narrow their view on graphics alone or FX alone, but it is everything working together to give you that experience. It is things that pure brute technical force alone cannot achieve.

mytsoutsou

Neo Member
We need 32VS32 and a pyrrhus rise remake, come on GG give us mayhem,and if you can give us insane mode where 64VS64 battle in radec like map

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Pertaining to the target model, I think they've already achieved it.

Here's one from the direct feed (PS meeting):

There are a couple subtle changes. The newer model has duct tape on the mask hoses and material goes through the clasps properly. The eyes are also narrowed a bit to make it look more menacing. The target one is the one used on the advertisements in Europe.

Man, reading over this post I've realized I've spent WAY too long looking at this footage. I've gone through it frame by frame several times.

i-Lo

There are a couple subtle changes. The newer model has duct tape on the mask hoses and material goes through the clasps properly. The eyes are also narrowed a bit to make it look more menacing. The target one is the one used on the advertisements in Europe.

Man, reading over this post I've realized I've spent WAY too long looking at this footage. I've gone through it frame by frame several times.

You're right. Case in point:

dgZv0sX.jpg
Made a side by side comparison highlighting the similarities/differences that aren't noticeable at first glance. Outside of the lighting, the two models are near identical IMO. I am going to say that the model on the left is an improved version of the older in-game model.

And don't worry, we all obsess over the things we really like.

64 Player infantry only battles don't work. I played that Battlefield 3 close encounter DLC on PC with 64 players, it was a complete clusterfuck.

^^^ Agreed. Well, lets hope we get a BF clone. 8GB GDDR5... the only limitation would be the artistic or the general direction/feel GG want to take KZ MP into next gen with.
Frankly, I want a KZ with vehicles+large open maps. Like, Planetside 2! Just imagine!

^^^ Agreed. Well, lets hope we get a BF clone. 8GB GDDR5... the only limitation would be the artistic or the general direction/feel GG want to take KZ MP into next gen with.
Frankly, I want a KZ with vehicles+large open maps. Like, Planetside 2! Just imagine!

Well it has to differentiate from the crowd...Planetside 2 will eventually come to PS4, Battlefield 4 will probably have 64 player with big maps etc. I think it will be infantry only, KZ2 and KZ3 had very poor vehicular levels/sections.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If old Helghast were inspired by Nazis, these newer Helghast are inspired by Cthulhu.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One thing that annoyed me about the demo was using the same soldier's face on each soldier seen. Hope they add variation when the game is released.

They absolutely will. The faces and animation were worse than KZ3 so there's no way those won't improve, especially with the extra RAM.

I haven't been this hyped to play a game in a long while. I don't know why, but I love rewatching that gameplay demo. Hell, haven't been this hyped for a new console in forever.

PS4+this+Watch Dogs+Driveclub...

Perfect trio for me. HNNNNNNNNNNNG.

Shayan

Banned
I really wish they would just let this franchise die...

if you look at this guy's post history, he has nothing but hatred for SONY. If thats the case then MS should let all its franchises die, since no xbox franchise sell except Halo and Gears wont be exclusive anymore. Bungie doesnt make Halo anymore and Halo 4 was utter garbage in my opinion

If you are feeling insecured since you know xone will be toasted by PS4 in terms of quality and sales ,then send a petition to MS to delay the launch of xone in order to include better HW

On topic, KZSF can become a monster franchise this gen and so could Drive Club

Sweep14

You're right. Case in point:

And don't worry, we all obsess over the things we really like.

I'm not sure that it's worth comparing those 2 shots because the lightning is completely different. On the demo shot you can sense the light influence of the big fire happening on the vsa headquarters screen right. It explains the orange dominance among the colours.

~~Hasan~~

One thing that annoyed me about the demo was using the same soldier's face on each soldier seen. Hope they add variation when the game is released.

i believe the PS3 version had 3 types or 5 types of enimies. granted they all have red eyes. but different mask / outfit /ability i think.

so i expect the PS4 version to have at least the same ammount if not more.

I haven't been this hyped to play a game in a long while. I don't know why, but I love rewatching that gameplay demo. Hell, haven't been this hyped for a new console in forever.

PS4+this+Watch Dogs+Driveclub...

Perfect trio for me. HNNNNNNNNNNNG.

My eyes are on killzone and drive club... i really want drive club. it sounds amazing. plus i am a COD addict. i am not sure what games to buy i want them all. i have been saving not to buy ps3 games for a while now because i know there are a big collection of games coming out for the system.

It would be awesome if KZ: SF had some RPG elements in it. Walk around in a big city like the one we saw, buy and sell gear at vendors, talk to NPCs, get side quests and so on. When I saw the city before they blew it up I immediately thought of next-gen Mass Effect.

I really hope GG next game is a RPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom