• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold_Loot

To me, Knack looks more interesting

COME AT ME BRO

Nothing really wrong with that statement. Knack just might be that sleeper hit everyone discovers a few months after the launch buzz dies down..

Killzone looks awesome, but knack has some lovely Kameo vibes going for it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nothing really wrong with that statement. Knack just might be that sleeper hit everyone discovers a few months after the launch buzz dies down..

Killzone looks awesome, but knack has some lovely Kameo vibes going for it.

Knack I want to check out at some point. For some reason 3D platformers are very hit or miss for me, even though I love 2D ones.

thuway

One thing is for certain; I certainly hope Knack and Shadow Fall come out on launch day.

Drive Club and Second Son should be held off for early 2014 launches since the cannibalization potential is very high. GTA and GT6 / Forza 5 are all launching within a similar window at the end of the year.

Sony needs tiered releases. Blowing the load all at once will do none of the developers any good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I read it was using 2GB

My info is from tech slides released by Guerrilla doing a postmortem on the demo. Not a rumor.

One thing is for certain; I certainly hope Knack and Shadow Fall come out on launch day. Drive Club and Second Son should be held off for early 2014 launches since the cannibalization potential is very high.
I think SF, DC, and Knack will all be day 1 and SS will be either a month later, depending on launch date, or early 2014. The first three are different enough genres to round out the launch line up whereas they can wait a bit for SS with ACIV and Watch_Dogs coming.

Portugeezer

well, not by sony, it's by one of the indie dev who's in talks with Sony, he said Sony are pushing for 1080p60fps for ps4 games. there's a thread about it although many people basically mocked Sony for not doing it themselves with Shadowfall, Driveclub etc.
Whilst I think Killzone will end up being 30fps at launch, the demo from 3 months back being 30fps doesn't disprove this.

It was a smooth 30fps, locked with no dips, even during action, this means on average the game runs at higher than 30fps but is locked to 30fps for consistency like most console games.

Wouldn't be too farfetched to think they were running at around 45fps and could optimise for 9 months or so. Remember they said the single player portion was already finished back in March, and isn't framerate optimisation usually done towards the end of development?

Personally I can live with 30fps with a controller from, playing 6 feet away from my TV, and I think for console graphics to keep improving 30fps is kind of a necessity (it's not a popular opinion on the GAF and I know this, but notice people bashing next gen COD graphics)

While I do agree that 60fps would be nice for most if not all games, I'm more than happy with Killzone: SF looking the way it does and running at a rock solid 30fps.

in console gaming? prove it

take any "top100 videogames in history" list and tell how many are 60fps on console.

every killzone-butthurt troll finds its way into the killzone threads to say something no-one cares. the killzone gifs hurt alot it seems

iSylqprP2LVet.gif

In retrospect, the XBOne reveal of games, especially Call of Duty, make Killzone Shadow Fall look in more incredible when you watch it after. The opening scene and this blow me away.

JCreasy

I just posted in this on the OT side, but I feel it has extraordinary relevance here, given the implications.

Pixar is using proper raytracing for the first time in Monster's University:

http://thisanimatedlife.blogspot.ch/2013/05/pixars-chris-horne-sheds-new-light-on.html

What that means is that up until now, even Pixar was using hacks to draw lighting. At the link, Chris Horne explains that the earlier attempts seen in Cars were " haphazard and mostly broken support."

Historically we don't use raytracing. It wasn't until Cars that we actually supported raytracing (and even then it was a haphazard and mostly broken support). We really only used it for highly reflective smooth curved surfaces that absolutely needed to be truly reflected and not faked. We fake almost everything - mirrors, wet surfaces, eyes, shiny props like belt buckles/spoons/swords/etc. We obviously can't get away with that on Lightning McQueen - so we would cache out the scene into a brickmap (essentially a kd-tree with shading attached to the voxels) and fire rays against that (so even then....we aren't doing traditional raytracing). For shadows - we would sometimes use raytracing when we needed particularly awesome looking contact shadows. The same shadow would ramp off to using a shadowmap to help lower the expense.

So our Director of Photography went to a studio that is so clearly raytracing averse and essentially said "We're raytracing everything. True reflection and refraction in the eyes reflecting actual SCENE GEOMETRY and not a brickmap. Yep - we're refracting through the cornea onto the sclera and iris. Oh and all your shadows are raytraced now - no more shadowmaps. Nope. None. Yes I know you like them but no. And global illumination! We're doing that now. By default. Everywhere. Oh and I almost forgot - all reflective surfaces will do real true reflection....and deciding what's reflective will be a shading decision instead of a lighting one. Yes you heard me right. Now get to work" It was extremely controversial, but it made a huge impact and really was one of the true success stories of the film. And now I'm working on that.

This bit here reminds me of exactly what Killzone: SF is doing: "We fake almost everything - mirrors, wet surfaces, eyes, shiny props like belt buckles/spoons/swords/etc."

So the fact that Killzone: SF is even touching raytracing, to the extent that it can, is quite profound. Granted, it's not the realized implementation we'll see in MU, but I don't think CG animation and games have ever been this close in sharing technology.

I'm a total novice in my understanding of all of this, but that's my read anyway.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why do they still need the breathing masks?

It's probably a symbolic thing used by the extremists that are attacking the VSA. The upper class didn't even wear masks on Helghan since the Helghast had adapted to the climate but the masks were adopted as a source of pride and intimidation by Visari.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
they have a target goal? So the final game will look even better?
The target was for lighting specifically and it was just a still image but, yeah, it looked better than the demo.

I expect the game to look substantially better at E3 and better still at launch. KZ2 went through some pretty big improvements in the last three months of development and those jumps could be even bigger here once they get final devkits. It seems like they frontloaded the actual game design so they could just push graphics toward the end.

I just posted in this on the OT side, but I feel it has extraordinary relevance here, given the implications.

Pixar is using proper raytracing for the first time in Monster's University:

http://thisanimatedlife.blogspot.ch/2013/05/pixars-chris-horne-sheds-new-light-on.html

What that means is that up until now, even Pixar was using hacks to draw lighting. At the link, Chris Horne explains that the earlier attempts seen in Cars were " haphazard and mostly broken support."

This bit here reminds me of exactly what Killzone: SF is doing: "We fake almost everything - mirrors, wet surfaces, eyes, shiny props like belt buckles/spoons/swords/etc."

So the fact that Killzone: SF is even touching raytracing, to the extent that it can, is quite profound. Granted, it's not the realized implementation we'll see in MU, but I don't think CG animation and games have ever been this close in sharing technology.

I'm a total novice in my understanding of all of this, but that's my read anyway.

It is not the same as tracing a ray though...

I really wish they just said ray casting/marching instead... lots of technigques march rays... It is quite inaccurate to call it ray tracing...

The target was for lighting specifically and it was just a still image but, yeah, it looked better than the demo.

I expect the game to look substantially better at E3 and better still at launch. KZ2 went through some pretty big improvements in the last three months of development and those jumps could be even bigger here once they get final devkits. It seems like they frontloaded the actual game design so they could just push graphics toward the end.

nice! I hope they implement that new AA method they were talking about (forgot the name) FXAA is horrible.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Actually a FXAA and TMAA combo would be fantastic! I believe Battlefield 3 also uses something similar (post processing AA and MSAA produce a good image)
I think TMAA is actually a mix of post processing and MSAA based on what works best.

alright Guerrilla Games, ya'll gotta remove the Garfield strip, too much unintentional comedy gold now lol

I honestly don't see the resemblance at all. I get what people are looking at but it really doesn't evoke Garfield to me.

I think TMAA is actually a mix of post processing and MSAA based on what works best.

oh ok, looking forward to seeing the end result!

I honestly don't see the resemblance at all. I get what people are looking at but it really doesn't evoke Garfield to me.

yea I think the helghast always looked kinda cute, especially the snipers with their arched backs

dgZv0sX.jpg
Made a side by side comparison highlighting the similarities/differences that aren't noticeable at first glance. Outside of the lighting, the two models are near identical IMO. I am going to say that the model on the left is an improved version of the older in-game model.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dgZv0sX.jpg
Made a side by side comparison highlighting the similarities/differences that aren't noticeable at first glance. Outside of the lighting, the two models are near identical IMO. I am going to say that the model on the left is an improved version of the older in-game model.

Thanks for this. The hoses, clasps, and strings from the hoodie all look a bit better on the model on the left. Narrower eyes make it look a lot more menacing too.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Why do they still need the breathing masks?

Even in KZ1 and KZ2, the Helghans didn't need to use the masks, but Visari made them to because it was now part of their culture and identity.

ZaCH3000

Knowing GG, each reveal will trump its last. Over and over and over again. Strap your eyes into your Helghast masks Killzone fans. We are in for something special with this one.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
In retrospect, the XBOne reveal of games, especially Call of Duty, make Killzone Shadow Fall look in more incredible when you watch it after. The opening scene and this blow me away.

I have to agree. First thing I did after watching the Xbone reveal was go back and watch the Shadow Fall demo again. The difference between COD and Killzone is like comparing an early launch game to a late gen game within a console cycle.

One thing is for certain; I certainly hope Knack and Shadow Fall come out on launch day.

Drive Club and Second Son should be held off for early 2014 launches since the cannibalization potential is very high. GTA and GT6 / Forza 5 are all launching within a similar window at the end of the year.

Sony needs tiered releases. Blowing the load all at once will do none of the developers any good.

I think SF, DC, and Knack will all be day 1 and SS will be either a month later, depending on launch date, or early 2014. The first three are different enough genres to round out the launch line up whereas they can wait a bit for SS with ACIV and Watch_Dogs coming.

iWyT5B6mbNDX8.png

I don't get it. PS4 will probably have a good half dozen first person shooters available on day 1. Why should DriveClub be held off for 2 racing games that aren't even on PS4 or Second Son because of two other open world games?

Not saying I think Killzone should be held off either. Shadow Fall and DriveClub are probably going to be the graphical showcase games we see plastered on PS4 commercials.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I think the "cat" thing is intentional. Although it's probably supposed to invoke images of a more menacing stealthy feline predator.

MisterC20XX

I finally got around to watching the Feb. 20th Shadow Fall footage on my TV. Even though it was only 720p it looked damn good all bright and blown up at 120hz. Day 1, Guerrilla Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom