• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sTeLioSco

Banned
60fps is eveything

in console gaming? prove it

take any "top100 videogames in history" list and tell how many are 60fps on console.

every killzone-butthurt troll finds its way into the killzone threads to say something no-one cares. the killzone gifs hurt alot it seems

iSylqprP2LVet.gif

Erdem

Banned
Please let the story be more mature . . . I think Killzone universe has a lot to offer in a more serious narrative rather than running from one cheesy scene to other.

I love the combat, I love the graphics, I love the AI but the story and narrative is just sub-par for the sake of a more "mainstream" audience.

Please let the story be more mature . . . I think Killzone universe has a lot to offer in a more serious narrative rather than running from one cheesy scene to other.

I love the combat, I love the graphics, I love the AI but the story and narrative is just sub-par for the sake of a more "mainstream" audience.

yea you are right. the human characters were just forgettable and unlikable. I like what I am seeing here though. Main character is a "Shadow Marshal," who is a silent protagonist and has is equipped with some sort of futuristic "nano suit" that allows him to slow down time etc

I really liked the background chatter in that trailer from the helghast and the isa. overall everything seems to be much improved over KZ2 and KZ3

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
for the new page
I'm pretty sure this is an in engine shot. The model and lighting looks much closer to the image they used as representative for their goal for the game in the lighting presentation. The target shot looked a lot better than the demo and that looks damn close to the target.

Man

This game will wipe the floor with all other launch games graphically I suspect (tho obviously it's hard to compare against something like DriveClub for example).

Binabik15

Adding new custom models requires more work for the artists. Extra memory doesn't magically create new models.

I'm talking about using old/discarded models that were finished, but were not cool/bro/moody enough to be the one design used for the class, since you have to cram it into half a gig of RAM when a swarm of those guys shows up on PS3.

It'd be fun to have those older models/different textures at the very least as "cheat" codes a la Uncharted skins, if they're deemed not good enough for the developer's vision, instead of having them sit on an artist's harddrive.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game will wipe the floor with all other launch games graphically I suspect (tho obviously it's hard to compare against something like DriveClub for example).
Considering that it's a linear game built from the ground up for PS4, it'll probably hold that crown for a while with XBO's weaker specs, tons of cross gen games, and Guerrilla's proficiency with visuals.

Considering that it's a linear game built from the ground up for PS4, it'll probably hold that crown for a while with XBO's weaker specs, tons of cross gen games, and Guerrilla's proficiency with visuals.

it could have open sandbox levels like Crysis...with 7 gb ram it's possible!

You are probably right but I'd like to say for an open world game infamous 2 looked amazing and can't wait to see what SS looks like.

thuway

Level design has been done for a while and the RAM upgrade cane a bit too late for that. KZ5 however...

The sheer amount of animations, dynamic interactions, texture variety, and art assets available at the ready should be glorious. The 8gb of GDDR5 is a green light to hire more artists and animators alongside mocap equipment.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You are probably right but I'd like to say for an open world game infamous 2 looked amazing and can't wait to see what SS looks like.
Second Son looks crazy good for an open world launch game. Sucker Punch isn't even a graphical powerhouse studio. GG's second game, ND, and SSM are going to blow us the fuck away.

The sheer amount of animations, dynamic interactions, texture variety, and art assets available at the ready should be glorious. The 8gb of GDDR5 is a green light to hire more artists and animators alongside mocap equipment.

This is my hope for SF. Tons of unique, high quality assets, physics, animation, and destruction.

thuway

I just hope Killzone: Shadow Fall has the single player teeth this series needs. Killzone universe is fantastic, but finds itself lost in technical hurtdles (POOR facial animation in Killzone 2; strange audio glitches in Killzone 3, and unpolishied production values for cutscenes).

This is a reset button on the franchise. New characters, new settings, new story. Please take inspiration from Spec Ops: The Line, Far Cry 3, and Metro Last Light. First person gaming with the incredible GG tech should work on capturing atmosphere, human emotion, and animation qualities that push the game from formulaic FPS to living, breathing art.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just hope Killzone: Shadow Fall has the single player teeth this series needs. Killzone universe is fantastic, but finds itself lost in technical hurtdles (POOR facial animation in Killzone 2; strange audio glitches in Killzone 3, and unpolishied production values for cutscenes).

This is a reset button on the franchise. New characters, new settings, new story. Please take inspiration from Spec Ops: The Line, Far Cry 3, and Metro Last Light. First person gaming with the incredible GG tech should work on capturing atmosphere, human emotion, and animation qualities that push the game from formulaic FPS to living, breathing art.
Agreed 100%

I actually think a couple of the Spec Ops writers are at GG now and the movement reminds me a lot of FC3 so I think we'll get our wish.

Man

This is a reset button on the franchise.
If any game in production by Sony these last couple of years got a blank cheque book then I believe it's this game. It's the big 1st party launch game. No one was surprised that it was the first *big* game to be demoed back in February (no offense Knack / Cerny).

DieH@rd

Banned

People need to start copying Binary Domain. It was set in crazy universe, but I maintained sense of realism and serious characters that had impactfull evolutions. And at few moments, visuals of PC version managed to make my jaw drop.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If any game in production by Sony these last couple of years got a blank cheque book then I believe it's this game. It's the big launch game. No one was surprised that it was the first *big* game to be demoed back in February (no offense Knack / Cerny).
Last of Us probably got a blank check too. Nearly twice as long in development as any of ND's previous games can't be cheap.

I agree. If the storytelling in the Killzone games improved substantially, the franchise really has a chance to elevate itself into the elite of the genre.

yea they should also look at the original crysis IMO

Agreed, but also there are a couple of things missing on Killzone, that's available on most other FPS I play, that bothers me.

- Can't go prone in Killzone. Why? Even in Killzone 3, the Helghast enemies went prone and rolled out from cover in a prone position, but you, the player, cannot do that.
- No objective co ops. Again, most shooters nowadays include horde modes and other types of co op modes
- Split screen AND online multiplayer

These should be standard IMO.

Do we know how much of the 8gb ram is allotted to games? Also how many cores was the kz shadow fall running on during the ps meeting? Was it three? Sorry if asked before and thanks.

Soi-Fong

Do we know how much of the 8gb ram is allotted to games? Also how many cores was the kz shadow fall running on during the ps meeting? Was it three? Sorry if asked before and thanks.

PS4 OS takes up 1 GB leaving 7 GB's for games. Not sure how much though KZ was using. I think they said at the time, they only they would have 2 GB to work with or something.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Rumored 7GB for games and 7 cores. The SF demo was using 4.5GB of mixed RAM types, not all GDDR5, and six cores.

Rumored 7GB for games and 7 cores. The SF demo was using 4.5GB of mixed RAM types, not all GDDR5, and six cores.

Thanks plato. Now i really think that shot is actually in-engine.

edit: Thanks everyone

PS4 OS takes up 1 GB leaving 7 GB's for games. Not sure how much though KZ was using. I think they said at the time, they only they would have 2 GB to work with or something.

We dont know. The demo ran on 6 cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom