• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - a new Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays (S2 full trailer is up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecto311

Damn I liked the last few but this newest episode is great. TJ Miller is fuckin awesome and I hope this gets him into more things than just yogi bear bullshit.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I realized something recently, and it's why I feel like I've recognized TJ Miller much more than I actually do, since I've seen him in almost nothing. He has virtually the same voice and vocal patterns as Jason Lee.

I like this show but once you notice that there are hardly any women in it, it gets weird. There are programmer/nerd women everywhere (except this show).

Women in this show are either sex objects or tokens (a la Gregory's assistant).

There are no "core" women. it's weird, and it gets weirder the more you watch it.

Leunam

What are the demographics of Silicon Valley? I've been led to believe that it really is mostly guys out there but I don't really know.

inm8num2

What are the demographics of Silicon Valley? I've been led to believe that it really is mostly guys out there but I don't really know.

It's pretty diverse in all ways imaginable, but the thing about the characters in this show is that they function inside their own bubble. I don't find it unrealistic or out of place that they don't have many women in their lives (aka on the show). It's not a good or bad thing, just a thing.

Tex117

Banned
I like this show but once you notice that there are hardly any women in it, it gets weird. There are programmer/nerd women everywhere (except this show).

Women in this show are either sex objects or tokens (a la Gregory's assistant).

There are no "core" women. it's weird, and it gets weirder the more you watch it.

I actually had the same thought...Im sure "nerd" women will be introduced as time goes on. Mike Judge usually doesn't use a lot of women in his stuff...Just think of Office Space. Other than Jennifer Anniston, how many women were really in that? Helll, even King of the Hill is predominantly anchored by 4 guys.

That said, I think the show is great.

Jim

I'm still not bored with the lead characters, personally, and very much enjoyed this episode.

There was plenty of snappy one-liners all around. Peter Gregory's delivery of "Thank you ... Florida" was great, though I can't imagine him either hosting or showing up for an event like that.

Leunam

It might not have even been his idea to host something like that. It could have been his marketing team that decided that throwing parties like this is a great way to network with other people and bring designers together in a social setting.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It's pretty diverse in all ways imaginable, but the thing about the characters in this show is that they function inside their own bubble. I don't find it unrealistic or out of place that they don't have many women in their lives (aka on the show). It's not a good or bad thing, just a thing.

Whenever they show Hooli it seems to just be guys too.

Saw the first episode. Loved it. The digs at startup culture are hilarious and so accurate.

The whole "make the world a better place" bits were spot on. Cant remember how many pitches I've heard with that kind of bullshit in it.

Startup-GAF we made it!

That crack of amusement when Erlich said his statement of purpose from the big boss was so good.

If you like that, you should listen to some of Black Moth Super Rainbow's earlier (if you haven't). Tobacco's fine, but there's something special about BMSP.
Will be sure to check it out.

Shaneus

Whenever they show Hooli it also seems to just be five guys too.
I didn't pay much attention, but weren't there five guys on top of the roof once Big Head got there? I don't think they fit the five-guy template from the first episode though, sadly. Would be a great joke if it did.

Mr. F

Banned
Been meaning to catch this but wanted to wait for another episode or two to come so I can binge. Have I not been reading closely enough or is the general consensus a bit lukewarm?

Shaneus

I can't believe I'm reading arguments *for* a laugh track. In anything ever.

I guarantee that watching BBT without a laugh track would be markedly less funny than SV.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Have I not been reading closely enough or is the general consensus a bit lukewarm?

I'd say the consensus (on GAF) has been warm-to-lukewarm. I think it's amusing, but not at all funny. It feels less sophisticated than HBO's usual comedy fare.

Mr. F

Banned
I'd say the consensus (on GAF) has been warm-to-lukewarm. I think it's amusing, but not at all funny. It feels less sophisticated than HBO's usual comedy fare.

Hopefully it'll come into its own soon enough. I remain cautiously optimistic for when I eventually get around to it; love most everything Mike Judge has done.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Let's not interpret the lack of BWAHAHA LOLOLOL as lukewarm. It's not a show you watch for side-splitting funnies.... and neither were most Judge shows. It's a show you like for the character, tone and the accuracy of the satire.

I love this show thus far... IMO you have zero idea what to expect from the enjoyment of a show from the comments in a GAF thread. You might as well read tea leaves.

demolitio

Agree to wholeheartedly disagree.

I second your agreement to wholeheartedly disagree.

Silicon Valley has a few funny moments, but Veep is more consistent and has more characters I enjoy.

SV seems to just exist for me at the moment and I really want to love it. I think the main character is just annoying me at this point which is what's hurting the show for me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I second your agreement to wholeheartedly disagree.

Silicon Valley has a few funny moments, but Veep is more consistent and has more characters I enjoy.

SV seems to just exist for me at the moment and I really want to love it. I think the main character is just annoying me at this point which is what's hurting the show for me.

How much of this is... well... aspergers/autism and the lack of human connection that it implies?

aku:jiki

I guess I'm in the "not laughing" camp, but I'm fine with that. Satire doesn't need to be laugh out loud funny to work and I think this show works. I feel like Judge has had slower periods in all of his previous work, where the material stops being kneeslapping and tones it down to a more subtle level of skewering, and this show just takes that aspect of Judge's comedy to another level. I guess you could say his previous work had a better balance between the two, but I'm fine with this one being a bit lopsided. Still enjoying it and especially enjoyed Bachman's moments of glory, as in this previous episode.

I don't get the "it's not funny" people. Jared alone is one of the best comedic inventions in recent years.
This post is funnier than anything Jared has ever said.

TheContact

This seems like it would be a funny show. Mike Judge is very funny, loved Office Space and Beavis and Butthead. I'm going to have to check this out

inm8num2

It's a very different kind of humor - mostly awkward. Veep is more vulgar or obnoxious. Both are hilarious, but I can see Silicon Valley being more of an acquired taste.

Judge has nailed the personality types you're bound to see in that area.

I feel like each episode has one big laugh(Bighead walking in on being talked about, Saying their names to not get beat up, Thank you Florida), but other than that I'm still kind of chuckling throughout the episode. I guess I wouldn't call it crazy laugh out loud hilarious, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it none the less.

Vyer

I'm an episode behind but I'm really enjoying this so far. The humor is a good mix - sometimes more subtle or subdued other times pretty blatant satire - but it's entertaining.

This show is crazy awesome, me and Bighead are basically the same person. I love his attitude of not giving a f**k when people ask him technical questions. Me and him have basically the same job now too, which why I am able to spend most of my day on Neogaf.

Kyuur

I watched the first two episodes of Veep and couldn't stand it. Silicon Valley has me constantly laughing. Different strokes I guess.

Last episode was pretty good. Finally making Elrich a bit more manageable, but I still don't like him that much. He was considerably funnier this episode though. The rest of the cast, gold as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom