• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie explains why Destiny 2 is 30 FPS on consoles, even the PS4 Pro (CPU limits)

Vashetti

Banned

Spoiler: Scorpio will too in this regard.

It's still just a Jaguar CPU clocked 200Mhz higher than the Pro's (2.1Ghz vs 2.3Ghz).

These mid-gen consoles are specced to bump resolutions, the jump just isn't there to bump from 30fps to 60fps, except in some minor cases where the engine is GPU-bound instead of CPU-bound.

No, they literally say in the video in OP that Destiny's engine is CPU-heavy.

Turning down the res wouldn't help because that's all the GPU-side.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Destiny 2 being CPU bound on consoles isn't surprising at all.

Has it been confirmed to be running at native 4k on the Pro?
Just some level of 4k output, likely either checkerboard or temporal injection. There was still quite a bit of aliasing in the footage so I doubt it's native. Hope they improve the AA before launch.

Costia

If you don't want to discuss here, why not leave?
I'm not that versed in this stuff and it was my first post in this now 12 page thread.
You answer your own question: this is a 12 page thread.
I think "*bangs head on wall*" is an appropriate response after trying to explain something over the past 12 pages, to someone who just shows up and ignores the entire discussion up to that point.
I don't expect someone to read the whole 12 pages, but even the OP itself says its about physics and AI, and not graphics.

NewDust

It91OYt.png

Way to turn a story on it's head, IGN.

I wish someone could ask them why the crucible couldn't be in 60FPS, it's a much more controlled environment than the rest of the content.

It91OYt.png

Way to turn a story on it's head, IGN.

Yeah ... IGN doing what most media outlets do with regular news stories...blow out of proportion or sensationalize the headlines to get the views/hits

Why not allow Pro to have a 1080/60 option? Yeah not buying it.

Mandoric

Banned
With it's adaptive refresh feature the Scorpio will be the best place to play Destiny 2 - or any game for that matter.

Presuming it's AMD's implementation, which is a fair assumption (remember, these also need device manufacturer support), it only really works in the 30-60 range - so a game locked to 30 wouldn't benefit, and the CPU is the one element of Scorpio that isn't really improved so it's unlikely that it would spend the amount of time in the 40s-50s that would justify removing the cap anyway.

KageMaru

Just some level of 4k output, likely either checkerboard or temporal injection. There was still quite a bit of aliasing in the footage so I doubt it's native. Hope they improve the AA before launch.

Yeah I thought so as well but it's hard to judge IQ in a stream. Thanks man.

Edit:

It's cool I'll wait for Scorpio where they have no excuse. Lol

Oh wait. They still do. -_-

More of a reason or explanation and less of an excuse. You just can't get around certain limitations without compromising the design of your game.

geordiemp

With it's adaptive refresh feature the Scorpio will be the best place to play Destiny 2 - or any game for that matter.

Scorpio owners will feel the same limitations as pro owners like me, you are nott playing large world large enemy number with decent AI games at 60 FPS.

Witcher 3 at 60 FPS will be a goal one day.

If you don't want to discuss here, why not leave?
I'm not that versed in this stuff and it was my first post in this now 12 page thread.

Because we are now in a cycle of repeating the same answer to the same question on every page for the past 12 pages.

I want to discuss, but not cutt and paste, why dont you try reading even just a page before to get the flow ?

Pachinko

It could be 60 fps if it was 720p but then who would want that ? I don't think it would be a locked 60 either.

If you only care about frame rates , go buy a PC and spend 500$ on a good GPU. Or wait and see what the Scorpio can muster (I'm guessing it will run 4K30 like the ps4pro version to maintain parity with the standard XB1 release) ....

Vashetti

Banned
It could be 60 fps if it was 720p but then who would want that ? I don't think it would be a locked 60 either.

Or you could actually read/listen to what was said in OP and understand the engine is CPU-bound.

Res is GPU-side. Turn it up or down as much as you like, if the CPUs are shit, you're stuck with 30fps.

If it doesn't achieve 60fps on PS4 Pro I wonder if Sony will flex any muscle to keep that the same on Scorpio.

Just like they did with Destiny 1, right?

Oh wait.

lol I can't tell who's serious and who's not anymore

Yes, because many of us have played Warframe.

Warframe's tiles aren't that big. They're actually pretty linear.

Also, Warframe barely maintains 60fps most of the time, especially when actually doing missions.

Yeah, but it has to be add the "enjoyable to play" feature before I consider coming back to it.

Personally, I find Warframe to be more enjoyable than Destiny. It is pretty obtuse though, especially to new players, but the depth in the weapons and warframes, plus all the builds/customization and combat styles, that make it worth it. I can see why people are put off by the complexity though. Plus the overall combat may not be as enjoyable considering the randomly-generated maps, non-specific levels (as in you're going through the same generic mission types with barely any tie-in to the story and such).

Plus the grind can be far worse than Destiny if you're low on resources or just starting out.

I mean, BF1 runs at 55-60 on PS4P with 64 players and just as many physics, not to mention dynamic destruction. Wut.

It's hard to directly compare games without knowing exactly what they're doing.

Still, it is a head scratcher in a lot of ways. I still wonder if their tools are super janky and difficult to use. I don't feel like Destiny 2 is really pushing anything in terms of physics, particles, players, maps, etc.

I still think it's too early to say, but the gameplay demos we've seen seem in line with Destiny 1.

Kalentan

You will never see Native 4K on the Pro with AAA titles games ,

Only games are Indies, remasters, sports games, pretty much it

Elder Scrolls Online, The Division, and Infinite Warfare can actually hit Native 4K (though unlike the other two it's dynamic).

thumb

Banned
Warframe's tiles aren't that big. They're actually pretty linear.

Also, Warframe barely maintains 60fps most of the time, especially when actually doing missions.

Perhaps on average, though some tile sets on Pluto are fairly expansive. And wouldn't tile set size mostly be a matter of available RAM?

Also, I'd easily prefer a game that barely maintained 60 to one that never left 30. And PS4 Pro performance for Warframe is solid, IIRC.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Why does he have to be a fanboy?

The PS4 is not super powerful at all. It's a fact.
No console in the world is "super powerful." That's a fact.
And the quote wasn't on the power of the PS4, but the PS4 Pro GPU horsepower specifically. Regardless, it was a fanboy quality post.

Brhoom

Banned
Oh my God the posts are driving me insane.

"If it runs at 4k why it can't run 1080p/60?"

"Halo runs at 60"

First, there is a 99.9% chanse it won't be 4k

Second, CPU is the main cause for better framerate, and we all know how shit the PS4 cpu is.

fanboy spotted, everyone move quietly you'll spook him.

Why? The PS4 isn't powerful, and the PS4 Pro gpu is not something to brag about, that's why he is laughing.

geordiemp

i remember lots of people saying GPGPU would fix this and was the future

Horizon did allot of GPGPU I recall reading somewhere, maybe only first party will put that crazy effort in to bypass the weak CPU's.

And then you have OG Ps4 and XB1 players to consider anyway in the same environment...so would it be worth using GPGPU just for Scorpio and Pro ?

thelastword

Banned
Same for Scorpio, i guess
rlY0dDJ.png
That's the only thing that makes sense here....PRO could easily do 60fps at 1080p or even 1440p with Destiny...This talk of A.I does not makes sense either. Anybody who believes PRO cant ran Destiny 1 at 60fps is fooling themselves, what A.I advancements are so much more compute intensive in Destiny 2. what physics work?

Even now, some smaller studios are doing what every dev must do, they're making heavy use of GPU compute, even A.I has been done with GPGPU.. Look at Deck 13 and what they did to their engine after lords of the fallen....they had heavy use of GPGPU.

Having said all of that, this 30fps on consoles talk is all about parity across the consoles, nothing more...Well, at least give us the real reason why? That tweet about sums it up..

Astral Dog

Horizon did allot of GPGPU I recall reading somewhere, maybe only first party will put that crazy effort in to bypass the weak CPU's.

And then you have OG Ps4 and XB1 players to consider anyway in the same environment...so would it be worth using GPGPU just for Scorpio and Pro ?
I don't i was under the impression most games were using it by design

Kaako

Felium Defensor
i remember lots of people saying GPGPU would fix this and was the future
I don't remember lots of people who said GPGPU would automatically fix 30fps games and turn them into 60fps games. I do remember lots of people talking about GPGPU and it's relevance to future video games development. And currently, we are staring to see the early fruits of that labor. If you put in the meticulous work, you will get much better results utilizing GPGPU. Just not double the fps across the board with them toaster CPUs, sadly.

Boke1879

That's the only thing that makes sense here....PRO could easily do 60fps at 1080p or even 1440p with Destiny...This talk of A.I does not makes sense either. Anybody who believes PRO cant ran Destiny 1 at 60fps is fooling themselves, what A.I advancements are so much more compute intensive in Destiny 2. what physics work?

Even now, some smaller studios are doing what every dev must do, they're making heavy use of GPU compute, even A.I has been done with GPGPU.. Look at Deck 13 and what they did to their engine after lords of the fallen....they had heavy use of GPGPU.

Having said all of that, this 30fps on consoles talk is all about parity across the consoles, nothing more...Well, at least give us the real reason why? That tweet about sums it up..

Yup. That'st he reason. It's why I'm sure Scorpio will be 30 fps as well. Personally because I think bungie want parity with all consoles.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

That paradigm doesn't work well for branch heavy code, which is going to be the vast majority of the logic in a game. It's mostly used for things like particles and physics.

Top Bottom