• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

disney/marvel already announced their own streaming service for 2019, and they will remove their stuff off netflix.

i know all these services suck, but it's just the start right now and exclusive content drives subscribers.

remember when people bitched they couldn't get cable channels a la carte? isn't this alot better?

Its going to just end up circling back around to the "other" thing becoming popular again too.

disney/marvel already announced their own streaming service for 2019, and they will remove their stuff off netflix.

i know all these services suck, but it's just the start right now and exclusive content drives subscribers.

remember when people bitched they couldn't get cable channels a la carte? isn't this alot better?

No one wanted a world where you add up the payments on all the streaming services and you ended up paying more than goddamned cable used to cost. But I guess you can't ever underestimate capitalism.

Drain You

I liked the first episode, but was wasn't sold just yet. Started the second episode about 10 minutes and yea I'm on board. Never thought I'd see such a high production TV Star Trek.

- J - D -

Good first two episodes. One thing about the ending that felt off to me though was when after
Captain Georgiou is killed and Michael subsequently kills T'Kuvma, Michael contacts Saru to beam both her and the Captain back to the Shenjou. Saru says that he can't beam the Captain back without her life-sign, which obviously she no longer has because she's dead. so instead, Michael is frantically beamed back alone.
I thought it was odd because I don't remember that ever being a requirement for transporting something. It makes me wonder if they were cutting a corner in order to heighten the drama. Or maybe that's just how the tech worked during that era and I'm not aware of some detail.

Good first two episodes. One thing about the ending that felt off to me though was when after
Captain Georgiou is killed and Michael subsequently kills T'Kuvma, Michael contacts Saru to beam both her and the Captain back to the Shenjou. Saru says that he can't beam the Captain back without her life-sign, which obviously she no longer has because she's dead.
I thought it was odd because I don't remember that ever being a requirement for transporting something. It makes me wonder if they were cutting a corner in order to heighten the drama. Or maybe that's just how the tech worked during that era and I'm not aware of some detail.

In TNG, they can typically lock on to a communicator/combadge and use that to transport its owner. But this is pre-TOS AU, so they can write the rules however they want.

Simo

Captain Georgiou is killed and Michael subsequently kills T'Kuvma, Michael contacts Saru to beam both her and the Captain back to the Shenjou. Saru says that he can't beam the Captain back without her life-sign, which obviously she no longer has because she's dead so instead, Michael is frantically beamed back alone.

At the beginning of that episode they talk about how out dated the transporters are given how old the ship is. Likely had something to do with it.

I'm about through the first episode and few things pop out: the dialogue and delivery is pretty stilted, this show looks great visually, and I literally yelled "WHAT THE FUCK?" when the monitor face popped up.

Captain Georgiou is killed and Michael subsequently kills T'Kuvma, Michael contacts Saru to beam both her and the Captain back to the Shenjou. Saru says that he can't beam the Captain back without her life-sign, which obviously she no longer has because she's dead. so instead, Michael is frantically beamed back alone.

I think that's canon? Maybe?
They'd have to be touching for her to get her back, which is Michael tried to grab her to take her body back on her transporter signal.

Instro

No one wanted a world where you add up the payments on all the streaming services and you ended up paying more than goddamned cable used to cost. But I guess you can't ever underestimate capitalism.

The whole idea is predicated on internet being cheap, which it isn't, and is likely to get worse as streaming eats more of the traditional TV pie.

- J - D -

In TNG, they can typically lock on to a communicator/combadge and use that to transport its owner. But this is pre-TOS AU, so they can write the rules however they want.

At the beginning of that episode they talk about how out dated the transporters are given how old the ship is. Likely had something to do with it.

I think that's canon? Maybe?
They'd have to be touching for her to get her back, which is Michael tried to grab her to take her body back on her transporter signal.

Okay. It's a small detail so I'll allow it without making a big deal. I think I just didn't like how that sequence was set up.

Interesting random note:
http://deadline.com/2016/10/star-trek-discovery-bryan-fuller-steps-down-showrunner-1201843506/

The deal with Netflix International has already paid for this show's entire budget. So it's already guaranteed to not lose money.

Wait, this is an AU? So they are not bound by future events?

This falls within the "Prime" timeline which is the original timeline. They are not bound by the Abrams timeline of the reboot films, but they presumably are intending to stay within the framework of the original shows and films.

I'm 99% certain that the creators have gone on record saying this show is prime universe, despite whatever aesthetic liberties they've taken.

They say that, and yet people like Isaacs have gone on record criticizing the inevitable fans saying that the show doesn't look like the old stuff. There's plenty in those first two episodes that doesn't fit continuity, at the very least when it comes to visual design and technology.

I think it's best to just assume the show is doing its own thing regardless of the party line.

I'm 99% certain that the creators have gone on record saying this show is prime universe, despite whatever aesthetic liberties they've taken.

It seems best to think of it as a visual reboot. An updating of the aesthetic given current production values, but not actually changing anything within the universe's continuity.

It's an interesting show, because I know a number of Trek fan expected a classic Trek show that wasn't necessarily about anything, but more a general exploration of space in whatever era they chose. Discovery very much has a point, something Trek saved for movies and later season episodes. The teaser for the rest of the season promises more of the other style of Trek, but I don't think they';ll stray too far from the point.

Discovery is what would've happened if Deep Space Nine started in Season 5, with Sisko already turning away from Federation ideals.

They say that, and yet people like Isaacs have gone on record criticizing the inevitable fans saying that the show doesn't look like the old stuff. There's plenty in those first two episodes that doesn't fit continuity, at the very least when it comes to visual design and technology.

I think it's best to just assume the show is doing its own thing regardless of the party line.

But it's not. It's in the Prime timeline.

It seems best to think of it as a visual reboot. An updating of the aesthetic given current production values, but not actually changing anything within the universe's continuity.

This.

The Klingons have changed their appearance multiple times now. I think it's more or less a running joke that they look different in every new entry now.

Ships not looking exactly the same isn't that big a deal. I don't think the visual language of something is indicative of what universe it's set in, especially Star Trek where stuff has looked different again every time there was a new entry.

I think it's best to assume that events and story will attempt to maintain Prime continuity to the best of their ability to continue telling a story even if stuff looks different.

MartyStu

Okay, this is what I have always assumed. I thought something had changed without my notice.

golem

There's plenty in those first two episodes that doesn't fit continuity, at the very least when it comes to visual design and technology.

I hate that argument. Trek's look was a product of its time. No reason not to update it for modern shows. If they say its Prime its Prime

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Liked some aspects of the first show but overall I'm not feeling any charisma from any of the characters which will be a deal killer if they don't have something more up their sleeves.

catmincer

I finally watched the first two episodes.

The show looks beautiful :eek: I didn't expect that at all.

I am not convinced on the acting so far but I presume it'll get better.

I think it's best to assume that events and story will attempt to maintain Prime continuity to the best of their ability to continue telling a story even if stuff looks different.

I don't plan to assume this at all, and I don't see any reason why the showrunners would hold themselves to being encumbered by this after what the first two episodes showed me.

Chesskid1

Banned
Liked some aspects of the first show but overall I'm not feeling any charisma from any of the characters which will be a deal killer if they don't have something more up their sleeves.

yeah, i'm really curious what an "average" episode will be like.

it's hard for me to picture them doing "slower" episodes after this kinda start but we'll see..

ep2
did they have to write guest star in the opening credits
i was like RIP

Didn't expect the production values. I like that it seems to be more intelligent than what the film reboot portrayed the Trek universe as—even if at times the writing seems to go out of its way to give us the thumbs up that this isn't dumb Star Trek.

I thought it was a pretty original start to a series by not even introducing us to the main cast, but telling an origin story.
The show is taking risks and trying things, and I admired that. Watching it I went from, "production values blow me away, but this feels stilted and uninteresting" to "I'm eager to see what's next." There was definitely some dumb stuff that could have used some work in the writer's room, but it's early.

Writing-wise the show will definitely need some room to breathe, but I think it represents a better reimagining of the tv franchise than "Encounter at Farpoint" (and TNG season 1 overall), and Enterprise's first season.

Davide

I'm just skimming over a few scenes before I can watch it and there's more pointless lens flares in this than in JJ Trek. They're so ridiculous moving in the same direction/pattern every time without a light source and I can't believe they made it in.

I like JJ flares, not these

Everything else looks fantastic though.

I really enjoyed the premiere. Especially Michael and Saru sniping at each other.

Production values blew me away. Everything looks top notch.

Same, I think these were two of my favorite things in the premiere. And looking forward to them having more scenes together.

I really like the use of light and shadow. It's very different from the more or less uniformly-lit "TV-like" appearance of classic Star Trek and closer to the look of a feature film production. The slightly wider aspect afforded by what appears to be a 2.0:1 aspect, previously seen in the Dune miniseries on SyFy, also helps lend the cinematic quality.

The use of oranges and blues is a characteristic trademark of the cinematographer of this show, Guillermo Navarro. You can see a similar and distinctive use of these colors in the film Pan's Labyrinth, directed by his fellow Mexican filmmaker Guillermo del Toro. Because of the work of Navarro, it looks dramatically different from the works of JJ Abrams.

yeah, it's good stuff. I didn't expect it to look this good.

First episode done. I'll save more detailed thoughts for when I'm finished with number two, but I'm mostly enjoying it at this point.

The only time the tech really struck me as way too futuristic was the station with the 3D hologram of the klingon ship, and the two communications with holographic projections.

Yeah I'm curious to see how they make us care about these characters in 15 (or 16?) eps with this tone and atmosphere.

With Enterprise, I at least cared about most of the characters.

This is a good point. I thought Enterprise was bad, and didn't enjoy it much at the time, but I liked all the characters from the start. I hadn't ever realized until now. Didn't get that feeling in the first two episodes.

Krakn3Dfx

Liked everything except the Zoolander Klingon fashion choices and retconning how they handle their dead. Otherwise had a great time, TV Trek is back!

Kind of.

Wag

No way I'm going to subscribe to CBS All Access for this. People in other countries with Netflix get good PQ with DD+ 5.1 and we have to settle for compressed PQ with 2.0.

I'll just wait for the blu-ray and rent it.

Stiler

regarding technology, to me it just is about making things look more in line with how things work, a sense of believability. Yes it's a sci fi show and not everything has to be based in reality, but to some degree doing things that have at least some aspects in that helps a show when it comes to the technology within it.

I mean, there's a reason that you aren't going to see airplanes with their controls fully on a touchscreen. Last thing you want is to have to make people look at a screen to see what they are doing vs having knobs/buttons to use, on top of that having it so if one piece of electronics go out it doesn't take EVERYTHING else with it like a touchscreen would do, you want things to be keep on different things so if you lose say, your windshield wiper control you don't also lose the function to steer your vehicle, that'd be absurd.

From a pilot's perspective it's much better having knobs/buttons and things, you can get a feel for what does what and use muscle memory for things when you need to, it not only saves time but you can keep your eyes ahead of you looking at where you are flying while you do it.

I wish more movies/shows stuck with traditional looking cockpits/controls for space ships, rather then thinking that everything in the future is going to be touchscreens (it won't be) which seem to be the epitome of how you "control" things (when it's not even that good for many things today).

The show itself I found fun, I mean it's got some room to grow but I definitely am gonna stick around for it and hope it gets even better.

Also Doug Jones>.

SRG01

I think it would've? I think it would've been better than
Georgiou saying we come in peace, which united them all against us. Klingons in disarray and it would've begun a begrudging respect for the Federarion.

It most definitely would've because
the viewer, and our collective knowledge of the Klingons, know how they will act. The starship crew, however, does not.

However, that does not dismiss the fact that Michael comes off as slightly unhinged during Ep 1.

besada

Banned
I had a real problem with them making characters selectively stupid to force plot points. The first episode did it a little, the second a lot. They knew the arc they wanted, and just rammed their way to it, no matter how little sense it made.

The crew, including the Captain and First, didn't seem remotely like they'd known each other for six years, but I could forgive them that. It's hard to nail show chemistry in the first few episodes. Especially when half the cast knows they aren't coming back.

Beyond that and some problems with dialogue and acting, I like how it looked, and I enjoyed the restated premise at the end of the second episode. The real show, instead of the prologue.

I just hope the writing gets better.

mid83

They gotta make money to fund original programming. At least you have options under this model. You only have to sign up for services they have new shows you want to watch at the time. You can cancel at will and sign up again later when a new show/season premieres. There is no reason you have to sign up for every streaming service and pay for all of them every month ongoing.

MartyStu

the viewer, and our collective knowledge of the Klingons, know how they will act. The starship crew, however, does not.

However, that does not dismiss the fact that Michael comes off as slightly unhinged during Ep 1.

That is because she is slightly unhinged.

I actually liked that about her. Of course, with the other weirdness in the script, I am pretty sure that was not intentional.

Still, I like what I saw and look forward to the writers refining this show. I really want it to do well.

I know they had suffered casualties, but it bothered me to no end that the captain and first officer beamed aboard a crippled portion of an enemy ship full of suicidal warrior beings with no other assistance. Would have been much better if they brought a squad of redshirts.

To be fair it seems at least a week too early for this, since we haven't gotten to the main ship yet it's not like we've really been introduced to or given any time with any of the other continuing characters just yet besides Saru yet (and of course Michael) and I feel he certainly had some of that charisma.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow the first two episodes were surprisingly good! Excited for the rest!

I don't know if she's unhinged, but that she was so sure she was right and that if she didn't do this, everyone would die.

MartyStu

To be fair it seems at least a week too early for this, since we haven't gotten to the main ship yet, it's not like we've really been introduced to or given any time with any of the other continuing characters just yet besides Saru yet (and of course Michael) and I feel he had some of that charisma.

Saru is great. I am glad to hear that we will continue to get more of him.

antonz

It was serviceable. I appreciated the Federation Ships looked like a pretty natural progression of ships built after the Enterprise Period and before TOS. A lot of NX Kit bashes in ways to mimic designs we have seen before.

In some ways modernizing the tech made it actually seem more obsolete than what we see in TOS in a weird enough way. Here we see Medical Bed with its machines etc. clearly super advanced but then fast forward to TOS and they got their handy hand unit to do pretty much everything the bed was doing.

Felt weird how much they downplayed the Klingons and the whole 100 year thing. They have been having fleet battles and skirmishes for decades at this point. A major one just 3 years before the show and the Klingons specifically mention a big one 10 years before the show.

watership

A fine start. Really good at points. My only complaint is that I disliked the Klingons makeup/costumes and the fact they had way to much of them statically standing around talking in almost all their scenes,

Cast was great, writing was even better. Production is all around astonishingly beautiful. I love the sets, effects, ship designs. They took what came before and went ahead, without being hemmed in by nostalgia.

Michael is a flawed and damaged character. It's going to be very interesting to see how they'll build the series around her. I can see Trek purists losing their shit, but we had a flawed and damaged Captain that made mistakes before. His name was Sisko. And that worked out pretty damn good before.

Trek nerd alert:
Starships in atmosphere. I still come from old school Trek nerds who believe these things would fall apart in gravity. Never liked them landing etc.

I had a real problem with them making characters selectively stupid to force plot points. The first episode did it a little, the second a lot. They knew the arc they wanted, and just rammed their way to it, no matter how little sense it made.

The crew, including the Captain and First, didn't seem remotely like they'd known each other for six years, but I could forgive them that. It's hard to nail show chemistry in the first few episodes. Especially when half the cast knows they aren't coming back.

Beyond that and some problems with dialogue and acting, I like how it looked, and I enjoyed the restated premise at the end of the second episode. The real show, instead of the prologue.

I just hope the writing gets better.

For a second I thought that Ep 2 was about to explain why Michael had suddenly acted so irrationally and out of character, as if she'd been brainwashed. Apparently it was just down to her not having dealt very well with what happened to her parents, despite her Vulcan mentors having noticed the same thing when she was a child.

Top Bottom