• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

What is the budget for this show? Did they blow it all in the first 2 episodes? Wow

Wikipedia linked me to this:
"A Variety cover story on the latest Star Trek franchise revealed just how much each episode of the series costs to make — between $8 and $8.5 million, making the show one of the most expensive in television history."

The only thing I don't like about this so far is the look of the Klingons. It'll take a while for it to grow on me.

it felt like a good look for a prequel since that group has some strange hidden Lore with the way their physical looks changed over time it felt right

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Not a huge fan of how episode 2 ended. But overall, I am pretty happy with this pair of episodes. They got the action stuff in, but there was still a lot of good character interactions. Georgiou, Michal and Saru had great banter with each other.

Credit to the marketing department for the deceptive trailers that really didn't let you know where they were going with it.

The Leewit

Neo Member
Whoa...episodes 1 and 2 were fantastic. No expense was spared to bring movie cinema to the small screen. The characters and story are really compelling and a joy to watch. I'm definitely looking forward to each new episode

Effect

Curious as to what the reviews are going to look like. I really enjoyed the first two episodes. Likely going to watch them again tomorrow because I'm pretty sure there are some things I didn't pick up on.

I can see some how some of the more purist Trek fans might have issues with some things though. I'm curious as to how much of an issue they're going to have. This isn't TNG and it never sets out to be anything like it.

Kinda crazy we're not going to
see the Discovery itself until next week though

well, stream crashed on my PS4 trying to return back from a commercial break. even after hard rebooting the system, still crashes every time I try and track back to where we were (it tries to play even more commercials after you track, I signed up for the commercial-less service by the way). Friends went ahead and went home, I might try and finish watching ep 2 on my computer, but am definitely cancelling immediately after that. CBS All Access is a disaster.

lol, the stream on my computer has a white square covering the corner of the screen, (it's the whole video window when not maximized). This is across multiple browers, firewall and adblockers deactivated etc. CBS is apparently as good at IT as their main audience. Guess I'll be missing out on all those fine commercials about bone loss.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Pretty good. Hope there’s some more connections to the original series and mentions of stuff we know. Would love to see the enterprise take part considering pike is supposed to be flying it around right about now.

Invictus

Banned
Way better than I expected. Way better.
As others have already said you see the money spent on this show. I’m in.
Question I have is are they speaking the same Klingon language they have always used or did they revise it? Sounded very different.
Qapla!

rjinaz

well, stream crashed on my PS4 trying to return back from a commercial break. even after hard rebooting the system, still crashes every time I try and track back to where we were (it tries to play even more commercials after you track, I signed up for the commercial-less service by the way). Friends went ahead and went home, I might try and finish watching ep 2 on my computer, but am definitely cancelling immediately after that. CBS All Access is a disaster.

Wow ps4? I had the same problem on my Roku. It seems like ad free is the only way to go.

But I will say I had no issues on my PC.

So because it wasn't confirmed before, it seems our regulars are:

Sonequa Martin-Geeen (Michael Burnham)
Jason Isaacs (Gabriel Lorca)
Doug Jones (Saru)
Anthony Rapp (Paul Stamets)
Shazad Latif (Ash Tyler)
Mary Wiseman (Sylvia Tilly)

And everyone else is recurring or a guest.

Curious as to what the reviews are going to look like. I really enjoyed the first two episodes. Likely going to watch them again tomorrow because I'm pretty sure there are some things I didn't pick up on.

I can see some how some of the more purist Trek fans might have issues with some things though. I'm curious as to how much of an issue they're going to have. This isn't TNG and it never sets out to be anything like it.

The review from the trades seem to be good to really good. Though I agree, I'm going to guess there'll be a larger divide within the fandom.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
5 seconds into After Trek and I already don't like the host.

EDIT: ^^^ Why are you mixing up actor and character names?

Meowster

I think I understand why they did the embargo (story wise after watching both episodes) but I think closing them off only hurts the show in the end, considering it is pretty damn good. There was a ton of skepticism for months. I’m just glad it turned out great (so far).

I think I understand why they did the embargo (story wise after watching both episodes) but I think closing them off only hurts the show in the end, considering it is pretty damn good. There was a ton of skepticism for months. I'm just glad it turned out great (so far).

I agree. I get it, but it was stupid. The show is good.

t-storm

It seems that most people on NeoGAF enjoyed it. On the Star Trek Reddit, it seems that most people didn't enjoyed it. So it seems pretty mixed to me.
I can see why. So far, it’s not the Trek most know and love. It could arguably be any show set in space.

I really liked it, I do think they went overboard with the technology as some have said, and I’m ready to see where they take this.

‘Bout damn time some $$$ is dropped on Trek!

Kadin

Well that was a VERY lukewarm premiere for me. Production quality is top notch but I don't care for a single cast member. Won't be subscribing to the service, I'll wait to see how things progress here and other sites.

Way better than I expected. Way better.
As others have already said you see the money spent on this show. I'm in.
Question I have is are they speaking the same Klingon language they have always used or did they revise it? Sounded very different.
Qapla!

Yeah, it's absolutely gorgeous.

No idea but Kurtzman said that it's supposed to be exactly the same old official Klingon. I believe he answered the question at the Comic Con panel, though it has been a bit since I watched it when it first got posted.

Yeah, it's a rather interesting mix at the moment.

It's also not quite as fast as the movies but it's also not as lingering as the previous series so I wouldn't be surprised if some of those who completely dislike the movies either don't like it or take longer to warm up to it.

Effect

It seems that most people on NeoGAF enjoyed it. On the Star Trek Reddit, it seems that most people didn't enjoyed it. So it seems pretty mixed to me.

This is interesting because I've been checking out the reddit for the last few weeks. There are a whole LOT of names I don't recognize making new threads right now.

well, i managed to finish the 2nd episode using Microsoft Edge *dry heaving*
cancelled all access immediately, they want to charge the same price as Netflix for this shit? fuck outta here

TheXbox

I'm a little surprised the subreddit is so down on it. Seems like aesthetic - or aesthetic consistency - is super important in the Trek fanbase.

duly noted
moot point now though
not enough content to justify the subscription
plenty of stuff to watch right now, i'm fine with waiting years for this if i have to

Snaku

Banned
So for those who watched. Micheal's
plan would not have worked right? Since these guys really wanted to start this war.

If they got popped in the mouth, and that little upstart was made to look like a little bitch in front of the ruling houses, he never would have been able to unite them. Michael's plan would have worked.

Went in with pretty much zero expectations, came out pleasantly surprised!

Production values are off the charts for a TV Series, hopefully there's no quality drop off.

If they got popped in the mouth, and that little upstart was made to look like a little bitch in front of the ruling houses, he never would have been able to unite them. Michael's plan would have worked.

ok thanks my eyesight is brutal on subtitles so I was wondering if I missed something had to rewatch pausing some of the exchanges. So I can see your point.

25 minutes in on the West Coast.

It's a shame this is going to be streaming only. The quality of this production more or less demands the improved quality, such as that is, of a broadcast. It looks fantastic on OTA 1080i on CBS using my antenna.

Maybe if CBS All Access flops, they'll start broadcasting this. It would sure be nice.

Ross61

25 minutes in on the West Coast.

It's a shame this is going to be streaming only. The quality of this production more or less demands the improved quality, such as that is, of a broadcast. It looks fantastic on OTA 1080i on CBS using my antenna.

Maybe if CBS All Access flops, they'll start broadcasting this. It would sure be nice.

Why would you hope it flops?

I enjoyed it. Not sure if I'll pony up for All-Access unless I run out of other things to watch but I like what I've seen.

Some fans were never going to be on board with this, though. I think a certain portion of the Trek fanbase basically wants ST: TNG: The Next Next Generation. Nothing else will truly satisfy them. Then there are others who are simply bitter about either the Abrams movies or CBS/Paramount squashing unofficial fan-made shows. Those fans had it out for this show from the beginning.

Drain You

Really enjoyed the first episode, think this is going to build be be a great season.

CBS All Access giving me problems, trying to sign up for the free week or whatever so I can watch the 2nd episode before bed but its keeps getting caught up in the sign up process. Tried on Chrome and Edge.

It saw a couple instances during the first episode where the screen flashed something along the lines of 'first season, cbs all access exclusive." Hopefully when their streaming service bombs they'll switch this back to the network with the same production values. Until then I'm out. I don't need any more by the month services.

So for those who watched. Micheal's
plan would not have worked right? Since these guys really wanted to start this war.

I think it would've? I think it would've been better than
Georgiou saying we come in peace, which united them all against us. Klingons in disarray and it would've begun a begrudging respect for the Federarion.

Agreed. Which makes the episodes REALLY work.

kendrid

Banned
well, i managed to finish the 2nd episode using Microsoft Edge *dry heaving*
cancelled all access immediately, they want to charge the same price as Netflix for this shit? fuck outta here

I have a few die hard Trek fans that didn't know they had to pay to continue watching. They were like "f that". CBS is taking quite the risk on this.

Top Bottom