• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

cquinones

Neo Member
Just ordered my copy. I haven't played the first game, but after trying the VC2 demo, I was sold. :D

I think I'll go play some Demon's Souls while I wait for it.

duckroll

Sipowicz said:
here's a question. i want to stick with a few characters

which characters are the best ones to keep and upgrade?

I would recommend you just stick with the characters you like best. Since you'll be using them a lot and you'll see their face and hear their voice every time you use them in battle, it's best to go with characters which don't drive you mad.

I generally go with this lineup now:

Anthem Elite: Avan
Scout Vet: Selvaria
Scout Elite: Aliasse
AT Sniper: Marina
Commando: Marion
Lancer Elite: Coleen
Engineer Vet: Magari
Spec Tech: Morris
Fencer: Mischette
Fencer: Alexis

I barely use anyone else, unless I really need another unit in some rare occasion.

Sipowicz

Banned
duckroll said:
I would recommend you just stick with the characters you like best. Since you'll be using them a lot and you'll see their face and hear their voice every time you use them in battle, it's best to go with characters which don't drive you mad.

I barely use anyone else, unless I really need another unit in some rare occasion.

Thanks Duckroll. I'll use them

I noticed that you put Avan as an anthem elite. I have an anthem corps and all she can do is cast a magic on one person which uses up one CP. In comparison to the engineer veteran she doesn't even have heal+ or the spanner. Are the elite's much better?

I also noticed you didn't upgrade your fencers to the highest level. Is that just because you havent got the stuff yet or are the highest levels shit for them?

It's not one person, it's an AoE of 200.

Also, Anthem Elites buff 50% ATK, DEF, EVADE, and AMMO for 3 turns. (AMMO means more shots per firing phase, not more grenades of whatever).

And Fencer Elites and Maulers kick all sorts of ass. If duckroll hasn't upgraded yet, it's because he doesn't have the Credits.

duckroll

Sipowicz said:
Thanks Duckroll. I'll use them

I noticed that you put Avan as an anthem elite. I have an anthem corps and all she can do is cast a magic on one person which uses up one CP. In comparison to the engineer veteran she doesn't even have heal+ or the spanner. Are the elite's much better?

I also noticed you didn't upgrade your fencers to the highest level. Is that just because you havent got the stuff yet or are the highest levels shit for them?

The Anthem Corps and Elites are actually pretty damn useful. Especially for Avan, because he's the fixed leader character. Since his extra CP boost is so important, I would never use him in forward combat and risk losing him in battle. Instead I leave him in my base.

Why is he an Anthem Elite instead of a Fencer in that case? Well partly because of the credits he ended up with, and partly because I already have two Fencers. Since Avan is always deployed in a base camp as a guard of sorts, it means that right at the start of a phase, I can always use him to buff up everyone else in that area before they move out.

Additionally, the Engineer-class pistols are actually really powerful, and Avan can take out incoming enemies through a combination of interception fire and the counter attack sometimes. The increased movement speed and AP compared to Fencers also mean that if I need to use Avan for quick (and safe) runs to capture a nearby base after other units have cleared it, he can.

As for why my Fencers are not upgraded... ask the fucking game. I tried again earlier, and one of them is just ONE diploma away from becoming a Mauler, while the other is one Attk II away from becoming a Fencer Elite. I'm convinced it's never going to happen though. :lol

Hamblasto

After reading Duckroll's comments, I may change Avan to an Anthem Elite. I already have a few scout elites (Melissa, Selvaria and
Aliasse
) and it seems like he'll be more useful than the Heavy Scout he is now.

The only thing I like about Avan is the fact that I have so many credits with him that i can easily switch back and forth between any class and promotion.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
duckroll said:

Here is my lineup

Avan: Shocktrooper Vet
Marion: Commando
Anisette: Shocktrooper Vet
Coleen: Lancer Elite
Rene: Lancer Elite
Selvaria: Scout Elite
Michlett: Fencer
Alexis: Fencer

Xanathus

Hamblasto said:
After reading Duckroll's comments, I may change Avan to an Anthem Elite. I already have a few scout elites (Melissa, Selvaria and
Aliasse
) and it seems like he'll be more useful than the Heavy Scout he is now.

The only thing I like about Avan is the fact that I have so many credits with him that i can easily switch back and forth between any class and promotion.
If you're trying to optimize Avan, you'll actually want to set him as a Melodist because he can then learn Double Action, which is then transferable to any other class. Say, Fencer Elite which learns Double Movement.

Hcoregamer00

Xanathus said:
If you're trying to optimize Avan, you'll actually want to set him as a Melodist because he can then learn Double Action, which is then transferable to any other class. Say, Fencer Elite which learns Double Movement.

Whoa!!! I didn't know that.

Having Avan as a shocktrooper vet with double the distance, amazing.

duckroll

Xanathus said:

Wow what is this skill learning system. I don't even know about it and I've put 45 hours into the game! :lol

Giolon

There's a great thread on all the earnable potentials, including how to earn them, here on GameFAQs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/961429-valkyria-chronicles-ii/56397967 . Be warned, it obviously contains spoilers on party member names and unlockables.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my lineup that I use:

Scout Elite: Avan,
Aliasse
Sniper: Melissa
Commando: Zeri
Shocktrooper Vet: Franca, Pete
Gunner: Marion, Anisette
Lancer Vet: Coleen, Vario
Engineer Vet: Randy (Super Repair FTW!)
Medic: Cosette (OMFG OP cross-map res!)
Anthem Core: Magari (headed to Elite), Sofia (headed to Melodist)
Tech Vet: Joachim (headed Tech Elite), Mischlitt (headed Special Tech)
Fencer: Alexis, Morris

I do use all of them, but I normally start out with Avan, Aliasse, Marion, Cosette, and Alexis as my vanguard "initial deployment" team.

One thing about Anthem Core that I think some of you are missing is that their buff is an Area of Effect that travels more or less in a line between the guides to the side of the targetting reticle. You can buff as many people as you can fit in that area (3-4 is really the upper limit of practicality) - you can move around to buff all of your starter folks in your base with a single CP.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, for my own progress, I made it to November last night. The end of October was...so very...not exactly anime per se...but it was pitifully cliché. I can't believe they contriveda situation where
a colorblind person has to defuse a bomb by cutting the red wire
...*sigh*.
At least Cosette lost her shitty Blood Trauma potential

As for the mission itself, I beat it in two turns.
I baited Baldren and took over as many camps as I could on the first turn. He teleported over to one, murdered Aliasse, and then sort of milled around. On my next turn, I walked Fencer Alexis over to him, had Magari buff Alexis, then proceeded to slash Baldren's stupid face off - it only took two hits!
Unfortunately, Coleen and Morris were inside my APC which got blown up by some Cannon Towers. :(

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
Wow what is this skill learning system. I don't even know about it and I've put 45 hours into the game! :lol

Each character has 4 potentials based on thier class. The first 3 are based on their overall class and are locked. the 4th is based on thier special class and can be changed. When you have learned the potential for a class a "p" appears nest to it in the change class screen.

edit: tried to clarify it a bit.

BJK

Saiyar said:
Each character has 4 potentials based on thier class. The first 3 are based on their overall class and are locked. the 4th is based on thier special class and can be changed. When you have learned the potential for a class a "p" appears nest to it in the change class screen.

edit: tried to clarify it a bit.

Just to add a few additional notes:
- On the class select screen, a yellow * (or a dot, not completely sure) shows up when a character has been promoted into a certain class. *p on that screen means they've learned the class-specific potential.
- When a character's class-specific potential 'procs' for the first time, the words "New Potential" pop up above it and to the left.
- When choosing the character's 4th potential ('Change Potential' - or something to that effect is on Brixy's menu options in the classroom), the potential for your current class (if known) is grayed-out. In other words, no doubling up. It also means that - save for Avan (who can jump from starting class to starting class) - this option is useless until your characters get their first promotion.

Alex

The tropes are laid on pretty darn thick,

They were in the original as well. The cast isn't as good, the tone is lighter. While the first one is more fitting, there isn't some huge drop off here and I'm always baffled when anyone acts like there is . None of the narrative in Valkyria is anything beyond very light and very standard anime fare. I give it props for being kept in check and not being offensive to the senses on average, though. That said, Welkin was a good main character and I do miss his presence.

VC2 is def better in terms of game play though, no question whatsoever, they fixed a lot of my qualms with the original and built out some really nice meaty elements. I'm pretty impressed. I think VC3 will be the one to take it home though, since it looks to be taking the best of it all and cleaning it all up.

Alex said:
They were in the original as well. The cast isn't as good, the tone is lighter. While the first one is more fitting, there isn't some huge drop off here and I'm always baffled when anyone acts like there is . None of the narrative in Valkyria is anything beyond very light and very standard anime fare. I give it props for being kept in check and not being offensive to the senses on average, though. That said, Welkin was a good main character and I do miss his presence.

VC2 is def better in terms of game play though, no question whatsoever, they fixed a lot of my qualms with the original and built out some really nice meaty elements. I'm pretty impressed. I think VC3 will be the one to take it home though, since it looks to be taking the best of it all and cleaning it all up.

Well, I don't want to argue on the finer points of the character personalities, so I'll say that you're right in some points. I think the mains were done pretty well in VC1. You're right that they were still kinda cliche, but were kept in check. I can't say much for the side characters, since they never had any scenes.

VC2 on the other hand, seems a lot more outrageous.

I agree that VC2's combat is awesome. I think that there is a little too much "stuff" going on with basically splitting classes into subclasses, but overall, it's a great improvement. I especially agree with the decision to put mine disarming to a heavy armor class. It's such a huge risk to bring an engineer to the front lines to disarm mines.

They definitely fixed a lot of issues with VC2 that I most certainly approve.

VC3 definitely looks like it will be the best of the best for sure. They seem to listen to their fans. :)

I decided to forget about my initial impression of the game, and play a bit more. So if I understand, certificates are a pain in the ass to obtain? I got two for the February mission (two characters who didn't deserve it, but whatever). So I was wondering... As you progress along the game, old missions become easier, right? So, if you want a certificate badly for a character, is it possible at all to do an old certificate-granting mission with just one character? Or say, two? Or are certificates not guaranteed, even for at least one person?
Are they more likely to be granted if you ace the mission, or is decided solely on that character's performance + random luck?

edit: do you unlock those scenes by playing with the corresponding characters? does it matter if you use them for five minutes? I want to play with old VC1's cast (Marina in particular, who was my designated mass murderer in VC1), but the OCD in me wants to unlock those scenes (even though i hate them, go figure), so I am not sure if i should play with old cast or not.

i am assuming selvaria does not come with her insane valkyria powers, right ? :)

edit: so far i find APC's pretty awesome. Only taking 1AP? Moving my shocktroopers in the middle of the enemy field and make them sausage meat in seconds? Bringing the slowass lancers just behind the Death Star Weak Point of the tanks? How can anyone not like them? (besides the low HP, but I haven't had trouble with that yet)

Ponn

Banned
so isn't there like DLC coming out next week? Do we have any info on that at all? Does it cost money, is it worth it, does it make Avan likeable at all?

Hamblasto

Certificates, and other credits for that matter, are not guaranteed.

The issue I've been having in regard to promoting units have been the II or X variants of credits. The missions that give those out are missions I can't complete with just one or two people. Because of that, the credits I need usually go to some random helper.

Edit: As for the DLC, the BLiTZ posts have been revealing the missions that will be available in the pack. As far as I know, the DLC will be up sometime this month, but no price has been set.

If I had to guess, I'd say they'd stick with the $5 price point of the VC1 DLC.

Giolon

Ponn01 said:
so isn't there like DLC coming out next week? Do we have any info on that at all? Does it cost money, is it worth it, does it make Avan likeable at all?
The Freshmen Cadet Guide says it's coming on September 28. The Community BLiTZ Blog posts have been detailing the different missions that will be available since the game launched (see Post #5 for links to all of them), and the blog posts have also said that all of the missions will come bundled in a single DLC pack. No pricing has been stated yet.

Hamblasto said:

The issue I've been having in regard to promoting units have been the II or X variants of credits. The missions that give those out are missions I can't complete with just one or two people. Because of that, the credits I need usually go to some random helper.
Even if you had only used the units that you wanted to get those types of credits, they still might not anyway due to the randomness. The fact that the game often gives them to "helper" units is really done just to spite you (and the rest of us). :lol

Edit:
Hamblasto said:
Edit: As for the DLC, the BLiTZ posts have been revealing the missions that will be available in the pack. As far as I know, the DLC will be up sometime this month, but no price has been set.

If I had to guess, I'd say they'd stick with the $5 price point of the VC1 DLC.
If you think they're going to give us 22 missions for $5, then I say you're crazy. I'm expecting a $10 price point, but they may be crazy enough to go for $15. They charged $1 per mission for these things in Japan (where they were sold individually).

duckroll

I'm kinda shocked that Sega never sold credit packs in Japan as DLC. Considering how retarded the system is, you would think they would want to profit from their own bad design. :lol

Hamblasto

Wow, I didn't realize there were already that many DLC missions. I'd stopped counting a while back, but if there are that many, I can definitely see it going for $10-15.

duckroll said:
I'm kinda shocked that Sega never sold credit packs in Japan as DLC. Considering how retarded the system is, you would think they would want to profit from their own bad design. :lol
Yes, this sounds like a very good idea actually. Any luck we can bully sega USA into doing it? :D

hamblasto said:

But even with a smaller team, undoable? I am assuming that the less people you have on your team, the more likely you are to get the right credit to the right guy. Not saying it's easy/doable of course. What are II/X credits? Advanced versions of normal credits? I get Attck X or March X credits pretty often, but I assume you're talking about something else?

duckroll

harriet the spy said:
Yes, this sounds like a very good idea actually. Any luck we can bully sega USA into doing it? :D

No, it doesn't. I'm just surprised they didn't do it, but if they did, I'm done with the Valkyria series.

Hamblasto

Oh, it's possible to grind out low level missions for certificates and credits with a small squad. It's just that the game distributes them fairly randomly among the people you used. It's very possible to grind a mission multiple times and not get the credit you need for the person you need it for.

In fact, I ended up grinding the same mission a little over 10 times just trying to get one credit to promote Marina.

About the II/X credits, they're pretty much advanced version of credits. They come in later on and are used to promote units to the Elite classes.

duckroll said:
No, it doesn't. I'm just surprised they didn't do it, but if they did, I'm done with the Valkyria series.
Well, the whole design is annoying, and the concept of selling it as DLC would be very annoying as well. But in the end, if people are going to spend hours to get those certificates and not really enjoy it - they may wonder if those hours are worth X dollars of DLC. Your OCD versus your time vs your principles.

Of course in an ideal world, such a stupid system would not exist in the first place. But unless I misunderstood your point, you would play VC3 if there was such a stupid credit system but no DLC to get them, but you would not if there is the same credit system and DLC to breeze through it?

duckroll

The worst thing about missions which look like this:
Arms
Arms X
ArmsII
ArmsII X
Certificate

is that no one is guaranteed to get all or any of the listed shit. It just means MORE variables to fuck up what you could get. You need 1 cetificate? You get 2 diplomas instead. You need a ArmsII? Here's 1x ArmsII X and 3x Arms X instead! You need ArmsII and ArmsII X? You get 5x Arms and 3x Arms X! :lol

harriet the spy said:
Of course in an ideal world, such a stupid system would not exist in the first place. But unless I misunderstood your point, you would play VC3 if there was such a stupid credit system but no DLC to get them, but you would not if there is the same credit system and DLC to breeze through it?

Yes, because there is a difference between incompetence and a scam. I am willing to acknowledge that the team could have intended on delivering a fun experience, but messed up instead because of poor implementation. If they have the same system again in VC3 and selling DLC to make it "better" then it is a scam. It would mean they know exactly what the complains were, but instead of fixing it, they decide to profit off it at the expense of the consumer. I will never support something like that.

duckroll said:
Yes, because there is a difference between incompetence and a scam. I am willing to acknowledge that the team could have intended on delivering a fun experience, but messed up instead because of poor implementation. If they have the same system again in VC3 and selling DLC to make it "better" then it is a scam. It would mean they know exactly what the complains were, but instead of fixing it, they decide to profit off it at the expense of the consumer. I will never support something like that.

I am personally more 'pragmatic' about it (i.e. if I really want to play the game I might go through with this kind of bs, but I will lose some goodwill towards the franchise/company) , but that's a completely fair point of view. I have never purchased 'unlocking' DLC of that kind, but I know I might if a genuinely tempting situation arose. But the fact that this kind of design is in the game in the first place means that the game is probably more poorly designed, so it will be less tempting.
case in point: if the system is in VC3, dlc or no dlc, i won't get it.

jiien

Picked this game up a week ago or so, and it's pretty damn cool. Like everyone else, I was pretty disappointed that it came to the PSP over the PS3 (though I'm definitely glad we actually got a sequel, that it seems to be doing well enough to warrant a third one, and I don't dislike my PSP), but so far, I'm enjoying it far more than I expected to.

If I concentrate on any one part of it, it makes me sad/frustrated. Like the less "mature" story/characters/setting. Or the smaller scale. Or the reportedly broken certificate system (I haven't gotten in far enough to encounter this, though I am dreading it). But if I step back, and look at this game as a whole, I see good classic Valkyria gameplay, so I feel better.

Alot of this thread of obviously going over my head. Hope it doesn't get overly complicated!

The credit system is only 'bad' if you are strangely obsessed with promoting one particular character or promoting everybody despite there being no reason to do so. There's nothing forcing you to grind, nor do you need promoted classes to get through the game. Just work with the system by using a wide variety of characters and promoting whoever gets enough credits.

duckroll

mjemirzian said:
The credit system is only 'bad' if you are strangely obsessed with promoting one particular character or promoting everybody despite there being no reason to do so. There's nothing forcing you to grind.

That's not true at all. It is entirely possible to play the game normally and for it to be impossible to get a Sniper or Fencer for example, unless you grind. It's not about specific characters, it's about specific classes. Are you saying that if you play the game normally, without redoing any missions at all, that there is a 100% certainty that at least one character will get enough credits to become a particular class you want? That is clearly not the case. It is not about obsession, it's about game design.

The game has a system with offers additional classes to the user, many of these classes are useful and have tactical advantage in the game which adds to the gameplay. Any logical gamer would want to take advantage of this. Instead of having proper specific rules for which to gain these classes, the game employs a random system which is specifically designed to force the player to replay missions meaninglessly as a means to pad play time if they want to access this content.

Sure you can play the game normally pretending none of the upper tier classes exist at all, but that would also be artificially ignoring existing content in the game. If the game did not have any other classes other than the base classes, it would without a doubt be a worse a game. Much more limited choices, poor progression, gimped classes compared to the first game.

So basically there are two ways to look at it:

a) The credits system is bad, it makes the player choose between not having additional options, or grinding to get those options.

b) Ignoring the credits system, the game has limited options because the player cannot get advanced options, and hence plays the game with more limited options and lamer combat options than the first game.

Either way it is not a good thing.

duckroll said:
Are you saying that if you play the game normally, without redoing any missions at all, that there is a 100% certainty that at least one character will get enough credits to become a particular class you want?
There's no 100% guarantee you'll be able to promote your favorite character to a class you want. That's the whole point of the randomness in the system. On average assuming you are getting credit for 10+ people per mission you'll get enough to promote a large number of characters, some of which may be the character/class combos you were hoping for. The chance of not being able to promote anyone is impossibly small.

duckroll said:
the game employs a random system which is specifically designed to force the player to replay missions meaninglessly as a means to pad play time if they want to access this content.
Wrong. It's designed to randomize who gets to promote, and again there's no particular reason why you need one specific person to promote to one specific class. Grinding is completely optional and unnecessary for getting promoted classes.

duckroll said:
Sure you can play the game normally pretending none of the upper tier classes exist at all, but that would also be artificially ignoring existing content in the game.
Nobody being able to promote is statistically impossible if you're playing every mission and getting credit for 10+ people per mission, so the situation you're suggesting is unreasonable. The truth is that several characters will promote on average, just not necessarily the ones you want. And yes, you'll be able to get at least one sniper and fencer if you've been deploying your scouts and armor techs regularly.

Again, it's only a problem for people who are hung up on promoting one particular character, or think they need every single person to be promoted. That's not the way to game was designed to be played, unless you don't mind grinding. Apparently as much as RPG players hate grinding they sure love to do it.

duckroll

mjemirzian said:
There's no 100% guarantee you'll be able to promote your favorite character to a class you want. That's the whole point of the randomness in the system. On average assuming you are getting credit for 10+ people per mission you'll get enough to promote a large number of characters, some of which may be the character/class combos you were hoping for. The chance of not being able to promote anyone is impossibly small.

But I'm not talking about any specific character. I'm talking specifically about simply being able to promote a character. If you used a fixed set of 10 characters like you say, there is still not a very high chance of a character eventually being able to be promoted.

Credits vary quite differently from mission to mission, and you only do a certain number of missions a month. For each mission, only up to 4-5 characters will get any credits at all, not 10+. You are completely mistaken. Out of these 4-5 characters, very rarely do any character get certificates (and later diplomas) at all.

Furthermore, the way credits are distributed, it encourages the player to play in ways which would not be tactically an advantage at times simply so a certain class can get additional actions/kills in to possibly qualify for credits. For support units like Engineers and Armored Techs, it results in a waste of turns, especially early in the game, simply to attempt to register some imaginary statistic for a gameplay mechanic. This is poor design.

Wrong. It's designed to randomize who gets to promote, and again there's no particular reason why you need one specific person to promote to one specific class. Grinding is completely optional and unnecessary for getting promoted classes.

Again, I'm going to call you out on this. It is clearly NOT the case. For most of the game, I simply played with the same characters within each class, and I deploy them and play the story properly. When a character I like is unable to advance a class, it does not mean that I have any other character I dislike who can be promoted. Since I only use the characters I like in the first place, if I am unable to promote them, it means I either have to make do without an advanced class, or I have to grind. Claiming that it is completely unnecessary is an outright lie.

Nobody being able to promote is statistically impossible if you're playing every mission and getting credit for 10+ people per mission, so the situation you're suggesting is unreasonable. The truth is that several characters will promote on average, just not necessarily the ones you want. And yes, you'll be able to get at least one sniper and fencer if you've been deploying your scouts and armor techs regularly.

Again, you are WRONG on this. You may be getting credits for 4-5 (not 10) people per mission, but they are often NOT the credits the characters need to be promoted at all. The only character will statistically will ALWAYS be promotable is Avan. That is because he can change to any class, and therefore any credits he gains throughout the game will fit somewhere. This is not the case for any of the other characters.

The certificates and diplomas are the main bottleneck for promotion anyway, and they are completely randomly awarded. You can play through half the game, and still lack the credits to promote anyone because of how the distribution works. Your claims are inaccurate and false. It's not even an opinion, you're just stating a lie.

Again, it's only a problem for people who are hung up on promoting one particular character, or think they need every single person to be promoted. That's not the way to game was designed to be played, unless you don't mind grinding. Apparently as much as RPG players hate grinding they sure love to do it.

You can repeat the same thing over and over and over again and it doesn't make it more true. AGAIN, YOU ARE WRONG.

Phenomic

So who wants to help me with April's story mission :lol

Baldrin is crazy hard and he has insane range, the only unit that remotely damages him is Sniper but every time I shoot him the sniper is instantly dead even if Baldrin is completely turned around he will know he's getting sniped. Getting kinda frustrated and everything anyone I've read says to try just isn't working for me. He automatically shows up and starts owning my crew right after my first turn is over. It mentions avoiding him but I don't see how that's possible either.

duckroll

Phenomic said:
So who wants to help me with April's story mission :lol

Baldrin is crazy hard and he has insane range, the only unit that remotely damages him is Sniper but every time I shoot him the sniper is instantly dead even if Baldrin is completely turned around he will know he's getting sniped. Getting kinda frustrated and everything anyone I've read says to try just isn't working for me. He automatically shows up and starts owning my crew right after my first turn is over. It mentions avoiding him but I don't see how that's possible either.

His AI prioritizes recovering taken camps over everything else. This can be easily taken advantage of by planning and seizing enemy base camps in areas you don't really need. Never take and hold a base camp you need at the end of the phase. Plan it so that you can take the base camps you need possibly in a single by clearing out enemy forces and moving your army into position.

What you want to do is capture gateway camps to move and deploy units between areas, but stay away from actually guarding or holding the base camp so you don't lose units or vehicles. You can always use Retreat or Standby to move units out of the way after capturing a camp. You do NOT need to beat Baldren to complete the mission, you just need to capture all the required camps, which isn't too hard if you know what to expect.

Giolon

duckroll hit the nail on the head. You either have to grind to get access to the advanced classes, or you face the possiblity of doing without. Random distribution of rewards is not guaranteed, nor is it particularly likely, to grant the right credits to the right people to upgrade your units, no matter how many people you rotate into each mission.

It's not about "doing it wrong". It's about dealing with randomization - which is both frustrating for some, and a time sink. Of course you can certainly get lucky (Scout Vet
Aliasse
in only two missions!) or but you can also get just as unlucky.

Hamblasto

I remember getting Scout Elite Selvaria the same day the code came out, but Aliasse was stuck as a Scout for the longest time (even though she had the credits and diploma to be an Elite) because I couldn't get one freaking certificate.

duckroll

Hamblasto said:
I remember getting Scout Elite Selvaria the same day the code came out, but Aliasse was stuck as a Scout for the longest time (even though she had the credits and diploma to be an Elite) because I couldn't get one freaking certificate.

My Selvaria is still a Scout Vet. I'm at the end of the game so grinding is pointless now. Too bad for her. She can't get any credits she needs at all for an elite. She has a diploma though. :lol

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
duckroll hit the nail on the head. You either have to grind to get access to the advanced classes, or you face the possiblity of doing without. Random distribution of rewards is not guaranteed, nor is it particularly likely, to grant the right credits to the right people to upgrade your units, no matter how many people you rotate into each mission.

It's not about "doing it wrong". It's about dealing with randomization - which is both frustrating for some, and a time sink. Of course you can certainly get lucky (Scout Vet
Aliasse
in only two missions!) or but you can also get just as unlucky.

Like me, I put
Aliasse
on the effing October mission and got her a diploma. She probably has enough stuff to max out on the third class. After doing an bunch of missions with her I still don't have her Certificate.

!@#$

Hamblasto said:

My kindred spirit *cries together with Hamblasto*

I said 10+ characters, not a 'fixed set'. That means using more of one class or another depending on what rewards the mission is giving, because some classes have no use for certain credit types. Yes the odds are on your side you'll be able to get promoted units. It's pretty easy to get credit for 10+ people almost every mission and still get an A rank. Engineers and Techs are getting credit for healing, disarming mines, etc. The game doesn't hand you credits just for deploying them. No need to waste turns.. I usually finish a turn or two ahead of the A rank so I could theoretically be spending even more CP and still getting As, but I usually just use up the CP I have on that turn then finish it up on the last 1-2 CP.

So you're outright calling me a liar, despite other people in this thread also claiming to get 10+ people credit per mission (Pureauthor)? What it sounds like is that you aren't getting enough credit for enough people per mission to improve your chances of promotion. 4-5 per mission is too few. I guess I'm going to have to record some video of me playing or something. On the 4-5 turn for A rank missions I can usually get close to 15 people a credit.

It's pretty telling that most of the complaints in this thread are about one particular character not being able to promote, instead of 'I haven't got a single promoted class'.

duckroll

I play the game properly, and I get 4-5 characters getting credits in a mission. Sometimes I only get 1-2 characters getting credits, because that is the more effective way to play the mission. Like I said before, if the game forces me to play in a less effective manner just to gain full advantage of a shitty gameplay system, the gameplay system is shitty. There's no need to defend it just to feel like you're some superior elite SRPG player who towers over the rest of us pleasant players. You don't have to try to add arrogance to every line to make yourself sound more informed about the game.

I hope you're not going to start up with your "oh players are simply not good enough to understand the system, so they're blaming it" next because the last time you did that, it was fucking annoying too. So is all your fucking trolling on the Tactics Ogre threads, and seriously, I'm amazed you even bother to defend the credits system when earlier you posted in every single Valkyria thread with "VC2 is putting me to sleep lololol so easy" and so on. You're a really predictable poster, and that's not a compliment.

Phenomic

duckroll said:
His AI prioritizes recovering taken camps over everything else. This can be easily taken advantage of by planning and seizing enemy base camps in areas you don't really need. Never take and hold a base camp you need at the end of the phase. Plan it so that you can take the base camps you need possibly in a single by clearing out enemy forces and moving your army into position.

What you want to do is capture gateway camps to move and deploy units between areas, but stay away from actually guarding or holding the base camp so you don't lose units or vehicles. You can always use Retreat or Standby to move units out of the way after capturing a camp. You do NOT need to beat Baldren to complete the mission, you just need to capture all the required camps, which isn't too hard if you know what to expect.

Follow up question

Seems to make sense and all but won't he just back cap everywhere I go thus never being able to complete the mission? I believe there's at least more then 5 camps I have to take not sure the actual number but I remember it being pretty high. Will he not just end up circling with me around? Or is there only one you need in each area or something?

duckroll

Phenomic said:
Follow up question

Seems to make sense and all but won't he just back cap everywhere I go thus never being able to complete the mission? I believe there's at least more then 5 camps I have to take not sure the actual number but I remember it being pretty high. Will he not just end up circling with me around? Or is there only one you need in each area or something?

There's only one camp you need to take in each area. 3 in total. They're marked, and none of them are gateway camps.

Phenomic

duckroll said:
There's only one camp you need to take in each area. 3 in total. They're marked, and none of them are gateway camps.

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense, thanks ducky.

Edit.. and Galila's bell tolls here we go = D

Giolon

mjemirzian said:
I said 10+ characters, not a 'fixed set'. That means using more of one class or another depending on what rewards the mission is giving, because some classes have no use for certain credit types. Yes the odds are on your side you'll be able to get promoted units. It's pretty easy to get credit for 10+ people almost every mission and still get an A rank. Engineers and Techs are getting credit for healing, disarming mines, etc. The game doesn't hand you credits just for deploying them. No need to waste turns.. I usually finish a turn or two ahead of the A rank so I could theoretically be spending even more CP and still getting As, but I usually just use up the CP I have on that turn then finish it up on the last 1-2 CP.

<snip>

It's pretty telling that most of the complaints in this thread are about one particular character not being able to promote, instead of 'I haven't got a single promoted class'.
You're missing the point. Yes you can get up to 20 people credits in any given mission. The problem is that there is absolutely no way to ensure that specific units get specific credits.

Here, let me respond directly to the bolded sentence: I do not have a single Melodist. Why? Because none of the Anthem Corp units that I have have gotten the proper set of credits to become one, even while taking them repeatedly on missions providing them and ensuring they get participation rewards. I do not have a single Mauler for the exact same reason. Same story for Trooper Elite, Heavy Scout, Tech Elite, Special Tech, Engineer Elite, Lancer Elite, Mobile Lancer, Heavy Mortarer, Mobile Morterer, Anthem Elite, and Fencer Elite.

Example: I took 5 units that needed ArmsII or ArmsII X into a mission last night. Any of them could have gotten either of those two types of credits and it would have been useful - did they? No, they all either earned Arms, Arms X, or Certificates (that they don't need).

No matter what, you still need to get specific units specific credits. You can get as many people some credit as you want in a mission, but you're still at the mercy of the random distribution. And since not all credits are useful to all units, that means a lot of wasted time and effort.

Phenomic

Man I'm really bad at this game, April is just kicking my butt, I never had this much issue with VC1. I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

Top Bottom