• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wants to expand into health, learning, and other quality of life products

Eh, the latter part sounds kind of jumping to conclusions-101, especially since he includes 3DS in the failures...so much that I don't know if the former part can be considered as a reliable opinion. Seriously XD

I wouldn't let his critique of Nintendo's business get in the way of his identifying Nintendo's QOL platform as related to AAL (Ambient Assisted Living). It makes alot of sense given that patent I linked to and the description as "non-wearable."

Edit: A mention of "non-wearable" technology in relation to AAL. http://www.leadingage.org/State_of_Technology_in_Aging_Services_Report.aspx

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I wouldn't let his critique of Nintendo's business get in the way of his identifying Nintendo's QOL platform as related to AAL (Ambient Assisted Living). It makes alot of sense given that patent I linked to and the description as "non-wearable."

Edit: A mention of "non-wearable" technology in relation to AAL. http://www.leadingage.org/State_of_Technology_in_Aging_Services_Report.aspx

very informative link! here's a part that caught my attention:

4.1.1.2. Embedded in the environment (User’s compliance is not required).

The University of Virginia’s floor vibrations-based fall detector (marc.med.virginia.edu/projects_gaitmonitoring.html), which showed promising reliability on crash-test and anthropometric dummies [19 Objective]; motion-based (Living Independently’s QuietCare, (www.quietcaresystems.com), HealthSense (www.healthsense.com), GrandCare (www.grandcare.com) and many research groups, including Virginia (marc.med.virginia.edu), used motion-based “possible fall” alerting functionality when lack of motion is detected)10; and imaging-based, including SIMBAD and the University of Missouri’s research effort (eldertech.missouri.edu/index.htm).

also:

4.2.4.1. Stimulation and entertainment systems
The value proposition includes enhanced memory, delayed cognitive decline (and physical), improved quality of life, reduced caregiver burdens and reduced cost of care to payers. These include computer-based cognitive stimulation products that are founded on the plasticity property of memory; one example is PositScience. There is preliminary evidence that these technologies may have positive impacts on memory in the short term [29 Objective]. Some technologies incorporate embedded assessment capabilities; examples include Dakim, and OHSU’s research (see below for comments on the assessment aspects).

Entertainment systems for both physical and mental stimulation, such as Nintendo Wii and It’s Never 2 Late, may have a positive impact on the quality of life of the user as well as potential for improved health outcome. These technologies may also enhance social interactions in group settings.

More objective evaluation studies are warranted to assess the impacts of these technologies.

and

4.2.1.2. Environmental (passive)/non-wearable
The value proposition for these technologies encompasses coordination of care [23 Objective, 24 Objective], better health outcomes for the person [23 Objective, 24 Objective], reduced cost of care [25 Objective], reduced professional caregiver workloads and increased caregiver efficiency [25 Objective], peace of mind for informal caregivers and reduced informal caregiver burdens and strains [26 Objective, 27 Objective].

These systems are based on embedding sensors in the environment to monitor daily life activities/behavior (such as QuietCare and others including, HealthSense and GrandCare), monitoring activities of daily living (University of Virginia (marc.med.virginia.edu/projects_smarthomemonitor.html)), and monitoring sleep quality (University of Virginia (marc.med.virginia.edu/projects_naps.html), Elite Care (www.elitecare.com)). Mainly targeted at professional and informal caregivers for coordinating care and early detection of decline in function or health issues; do not require user’s compliance. These systems work indoors only, mostly when a person is living alone. If the motion detectors are not pet immune, the presence of pets may affect the accuracy of the inferences and alerts generated by the system.

QaaQer

Thx 4th storm. I think we have a handle on what the qol platform is now. Marketing a game system and some cheap sensors and selling that to a nontraditional market (retirees) could work out. There certainly is no competition there right now.

lenovox1

Thx 4th storm. I think we have a handle on what the qol platform is now. Marketing a game system and some cheap sensors and selling that to a nontraditional market (retirees) could work out. There certainly is no competition there right now.

If they could get their embedded sensors system, if that's what it's going to be, to work with technologies that are already out there (namely wearables), then they might have a hit that could reach a broad spectrum of consumers. As with a traditional gaming system, it would depend on the software being developed for it and/or the people they partner with.

Top Bottom