• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Jaraghan

So the Eos map... can I not explore all of it? I travel too far out and the game forces me back, telling me to not leave the mission area. I did the vault on the planet, and I recruired Jaal so the radiation is gone. This is weird.

Fordy

Probably been asked a 1000 times, but now the dust has settled. Is this worth picking up?

Loved first 3, jank and all. I've played up to the Nexus on EA access and it seems like Mass Effect but not grabbed me. So far I've not really been bothered by the jank, but the story line hasn't pulled me in. To those who've gotten nearer the end, is it worth it?

If it is, is the PS4 and Xbox similar in performance at this stage?

Trickster

Dracks continues to be the highlight of this game for me. Just did his loyalty mission and the extra mission afterwards. Those were probably my favourite missions so far.

Madness

Probably been asked a 1000 times, but now the dust has settled. Is this worth picking up?

Loved first 3, jank and all. I've played up to the Nexus on EA access and it seems like Mass Effect but not grabbed me. So far I've not really been bothered by the jank, but the story line hasn't pulled me in. To those who've gotten nearer the end, is it worth it?

You might as well wait. A massive price drop all but guaranteed. Plus can hear more about dlc situation. The MP is decent enough though. So if enjoyed ME3 MP you would enjoy this even if Campaign a let down.

Honestly? Unless you have nothing else to play, you can probably wait for a price drop. I'm enjoying my time with it but mass effect 1 and 2, even 3, were memorable as hell and I hold the series as one of the best from last gen. This game though, is solid but it seems like one of those side novels following a side character from a major Novel series. It never reaches the highs, and it is doomed to always be compared.

I still think it's worth playing though, but only when you want to.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think Andromeda is at least worth a look for anybody interested in the series, especially those who made their way through the entire trilogy and have mostly fond memories, warts and all. The widely mixed reception we're seeing for Andromeda provides no guarantees, though the ten hour trial is at least a nice insight into the game's flow and structure, and a fair measuring stick for the adventure as a whole. But you could argue that's also divisive, as some here loathed the opening but are enjoying the game post-trial.

That being said I also feel if someone has reservations then waiting for post launch support could warrant a better first time experience. Like any massive RPG many bugs will eventually be squashed. Who knows what, if anything, BioWare will amend in their updates to production quality. Nobody should expect drastic changes, but you never know what they'll address, regarding animations and UI. And if you're a fan of the "complete" package, it's impossible to say what quality the inevitable DLC will add. For example, launch Mass Effect 3 is so overwhelmingly inferior to current Mass Effect 3, the free and paid DLC adding substantial value and condensed narrative to the experience as a whole. I don't feel Andromeda is the same case at all, but you know, DLC can (unfortunately) add a lot. Inquisition's vanilla climax is shitful, but post narrative Trespasser DLC is legit.

So I don't know. Deals are already popping up. I don't think it's a bad game. So in my opinion you could nab Andromeda now for a solid price and have a good time, or a bad time that wouldn't be changed by any DLC or patches. But waiting will guarantee the cheapest price possible, in addition to the best version of the game at the time.

Nearing the end of the game and all I can say is I love all the crew except Peebee. Cora (and her romance arc), Drack, and Vetra are standouts to me.

I'm going to be real sad if we don't get another adventure with these characters again.

Flaboere

So anyone else have audio issues? I'm on PC and right now it's almost unplayable. I'll admit my CPU is quite old (AMD FX 8120), but i just bought a 1060 6GB, and have 16gb ram, and up until now it's been fine. I'm at the next planet after Eos, and most sound effects aren't playing, or they'll only play the first half a second or so. Like the jump sound is more like a "dud" than the "thump", and many sounds, in combat fx, simply aren't playing. I've tried turning down graphics, that didn't help, and i've gone to a different planet (
Voeld
), same here.

Anyone else tried this?

Fordy

Honestly? Unless you have nothing else to play, you can probably wait for a price drop. I'm enjoying my time with it but mass effect 1 and 2, even 3, were memorable as hell and I hold the series as one of the best from last gen. This game though, is solid but it seems like one of those side novels following a side character from a major Novel series. It never reaches the highs, and it is doomed to always be compared.

I still think it's worth playing though, but only when you want to.

You might as well wait. A massive price drop all but guaranteed. Plus can hear more about dlc situation. The MP is decent enough though. So if enjoyed ME3 MP you would enjoy this even if Campaign a let down.

Thanks guys, I think you are right. I do have stuff to play and the fact I haven't bought it yet probably tells me all I need. If I was hearing it was as good as the prior games I would have bought it day one.

DeaDPo0L84

So I crafted the Dhan Shotgun thinking it fired a crossbow like projectile. Mine just shoots a short ranged fireball looking projectile. Did I possibly craft the wrong one or is my gun glitched?

Staf

Been working on destroying a
Kett base on Eos
. I died and have to replay like 30 minutes of gametime. Now i have to replay this god damn boring encounter with this god damn boring combat. Can understand people liking the combat but i just find it incredibly boring with brain dead AI rushing you.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ahh yes, the ol refuse-to-load-save-after-encounter bug is still there.

Rellik

Been working on destroying a
Kett base on Eos
. I died and have to replay like 30 minutes of gametime. Now i have to replay this god damn boring encounter with this god damn boring combat. Can understand people liking the combat but i just find it incredibly boring with brain dead AI rushing you.

Sounds like you should move on to a game that you'll enjoy.

PepperedHam

Am i the only one getting kind of bored by the sheer quantity of combat encounters? Thinking of turning it down to (very) easy to blast through them.
It's killing me. I seemingly can't get from one place to another without encountering like 5 Kett camps, it's mind numbing. I'm enjoying the game a good bit but this is driving me nuts. I mean I guess I can just run away but what kind of Pathfinder would I be to leave resources and land behind?

Was definitely feeling that burn today. In fact I think I'm kind of feeling the burn in general. I feel like the game is burying me in stuff. The quest log interface is pretty irritating to navigate and the fact that I can't abandon quests and additional tasks - fuck yoooooou. I am not doing these boring ass additional tasks and they keep piling up in my log. Even stuff in my other categories. Quests put on hold or just stuff sitting there that I'm obviously not getting to until later like the Ark quests. Why are these things just sitting in my damn quest log taking up space? I just finished Voeld and am going to Havarl and dammit I'm just feeling the burnout and it's happening faster than usual because the game is suffocating me with stuff, which is bumming me out because I'm generally having a good time playing this. I really like Ryder's personality compared to Shepard, I love Jaal, Drack, and even Peebee. I'm having a good time with my crew but the sheer amount of stuff the game is burying me alive with is... staggering.

Bubble

Neo Member
Got to say, that I was worried that the side-quests in this game would be Inquisition level-of-bad. But some of these side-quests are actually quite nice.

Like, the side-quest "First Murderer" is so much better than 95% of the side-quests in Inquisition, so it's good to see Bioware can still make good quests. It's not amazing or anything, but it got an interesting narrative, little bit of a mystery and a choice in the end. Good stuff.

pmj

You are probably right. It's just difficult to do that when you have paid $90 (yes videogames are expensive in Sweden) for a game.

I think your SEK to USD conversion rate may need to be uptaded, as one dollar is less than 9 SEK right now.

I picked up the PS4 version for 499 SEK at Elgiganten, which is about $56.

Am i the only one getting kind of bored by the sheer quantity of combat encounters? Thinking of turning it down to (very) easy to blast through them.

Yeah, not really enjoying the combat tbh. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or picked the wrong build or whatever, dunno if I can be arsed changing it.

Also is there a way to disable SAM? I swear if she tells me about the weather one goddam more time I'm gonna tear out my implant with a fork.

Staf

I think your SEK to USD conversion rate may need to be uptaded, as one dollar is less than 9 SEK right now.

I picked up the PS4 version for 499 SEK at Elgiganten, which is about $56.

I just typed in what i payed, 799 SEK deluxe on PSN, into a online converter.

I feel this crew is the worst one out of all the games by far. Only a few half decent characters and the rest are instantly forgettable or downright annoying. Suvi is top of my list for kicking out the airlock.

Staf

Well after wasting an hour of my life dying in that Kett base i'm retreating back to the mako. Think i'll stick to the quests in the "Priority ops" and maybe "Allies and relationships".

pmj

I just typed in what i payed, 799 SEK deluxe on PSN, into a online converter.

I'm not sure you have much reason to complain about game prices when you go out of your way to buy the more expensive version of a game at the most expensive store there is.

At least it isn't representative of game prices in Sweden.

carlsojo

I feel this crew is the worst one out of all the games by far. Only a few half decent characters and the rest are instantly forgettable or downright annoying. Suvi is top of my list for kicking out the airlock.

Yeah I'm not feeling any of them except maybe Drak and surprisingly PB.

Crew: 2>1>3 >>>>>>> Andromeda

Staf

I'm not sure you have much reason to complain about game prices when you go out of your way to buy the more expensive version of a game at the most expensive store there is.

At least it isn't representative of game prices in Sweden.

For fuck sake. That was never the point. I didn't complain about the amount of money specifically. Anyway, i've gone back and edited that out, happy?

Is the game's economy/crafting somewhat broken?

So far, I still couldn't craft a set of armor due to the lack of final materials. I could buy them off merchants but that'll cost me a lot of credits. While at the same time, I can also buy a whole set for like 20% of the material price. I'm already using a tier IV armor set I don't think I'll ever need crafting at all at this rate. The crafting bonuses sound nice, but I still couldn't find the damned platinum/titanium deposit after 25 hours of play.

I actually prefer Tempest crew due to one simple thing, they're not static. They're chatting and joking around, doing different things at different spots in the ship, it never gets boring.

EatChildren

I was stumped with a choice where I wasn't really paying attention but had to pick, and afterwards went loaded up my pre-encounter so I could actually focus, and it wont fucking load. My manual save is broken.

Jesus christ, BioWare.

EDIT: It worked, finally, but only after alt tabbing in and out a few times.

Iberian

Very early in the game; enjoying it a lot so far. Completed the vault in the first planet.

Anybody else getting very strong forerunners vibes from it? I mean, some of those towers look copy pasted from the first Halo... they just look better.

In fact, the vault design and art style is able to convey a sense of mistery that 343 was never able to pull in Halo 4 or 5.

pmj

For fuck sake. That was never the point. I didn't complain about the amount of money specifically. Anyway, i've gone back and edited that out, happy?

Yes, bullying you into editing your post was exactly what I wanted. Thank you for your cooperation.

So weird. Story about minor subquest on Voeld, no real spoilers.

It was the radio interference from meteorite quest. After the first wave of Adhi, I scanned it and then went to dampen it. A second wave of adhi came so I put up a singularity which held them all in the air while I finished dampening the meteorite's signal. This finished around the time my singularity ended, and a short non-cutscene conversation started with SAM. SAM suggested I should take the meteorite away to be studied, and I chose to agree. But at the same time as I was having this conversation, the Adhi were attacking me. I chose to agree while dead. Then I got to skip some nonexistant dialogue. When I loaded my last saved game after the 'conversation' ended, it was with the quest having been done and the Adhi gone. So weird.

Question: Sometimes when channeling on an object, especially the devices you have to turn off during objective waves in multiplayer, I'll get interrupted, but by nothing. It usually happens the first time at about 50% completion. After that, I'll have to resume the channel ever second or so, because the interruptions become incessant. This is not due to attack, or even the nearness of enemies. It just happens, reliably, and it slows down that channeling by about 50%. Has anyone else experienced this?

pmj

SAM is unbelievably shit.

"Pathfinder, you can mine here blah blah" every time you open the mining thing. Constant updates on temperature and other hazards. I fucking know. There's a giant meter in the interface dedicated to showing me this, I don't need a monotone voice telling me.

And why do I have text in the middle of the screen telling me to find cover or that I just did a fire combo. Tutorials are disabled but this won't go away. I don't know if this is a bug or actually intended.

And as obnoxiously hand-holdy this game is sometimes, some 20 hours in and I have no idea what's going on with all the numbers and bars related to the nexus, or the crafting system.

I like this game overall. I think. Combat is good. Peebee is alright. But fuck.

Also bugs.

Can someone please fill me in on what the romance icon in conversations look like? So far I've avoided the big heart ones as I figured those were the romance ones, but all of a sudden I got two stick figures holding hands in one conversation and now I'm not sure anymore.

SAM is unbelievably shit.

"Pathfinder, you can mine here blah blah" every time you open the mining thing. Constant updates on temperature and other hazards. I fucking know. There's a giant meter in the interface dedicated to showing me this, I don't need a monotone voice telling me.

And why do I have text in the middle of the screen telling me to find cover or that I just did a fire combo. Tutorials are disabled but this won't go away. I don't know if this is a bug or actually intended.

And as obnoxiously hand-holdy this game is sometimes, some 20 hours in and I have no idea what's going on with all the numbers and bars related to the nexus, or the crafting system.

I like this game overall. I think. Combat is good. Peebee is alright. But fuck.

Also bugs.

Can someone please fill me in on what the romance icon in conversations look like? So far I've avoided the big heart ones as I figured those were the romance ones, but all of a sudden I got two stick figures holding hands in one conversation and now I'm not sure anymore.

Pretty sure it is the heart, and the hold hands one is friendship. What're your questions about the bars related to nexus and crafting?

EatChildren

I'm so disappointed with how they've handled the Angara. It's utterly vapid and devoid of anything resembling first contact.

Top Bottom