• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Caayn

Regarding the first contact with the Angara. I feel that it could've been handled a lot better by having Ryder ask questions such as "How is it that you speak my language?" and "You seem to know us?" during the walking section from the Tempest to Evra.

Mifec

And done.

Probably won't replay it, would be open to a sequel.

uXUhN.jpg

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still having fun. 13-14 hours in and messing around on Veold when I called it a night.

Zakalwe

Banned
You act like any Mass Effect game is long. ME3 is the longest one. ME1 you can beat in 8 hours. All you have to do is Eden Prime, Therum, Feros, Noveria, Vermire and Ilos. That's 6 main missions, and they don't take long really. ME2 is Freedom's Progress, Horizon, the derelict reaper, the IFF and then bam jump through the relay hello collectors. The only reason it seems long is because it's padded to hell with loyalty missions and shit. It literally has almost no meaningful story progress. In fact if you skip from Mass Effect 1 to 3 you don't even miss all that much. That's how irrelevant ME2 is.

Andromeda is Dragon Age Inquisition without the arbitrary gating system. It's less about the main plot and more about the exploration and characters.

ME2 isn't irrelevant in any way.

It's the calm before the storm of all out war, and a more personal tale that's there to get you invested in your crew so the events of 3 have more impact.

It works perfectly in that regard. It's not 2's fault that 3 fudged things.

If you skip 2 you miss a /lot/.

Jharp

Been screwing around with Nvidia Ansel for all my artsy fartsy screenshot needs, and noticed the Mattock's handle is too thick for any race, even human, to get their fingers through. Silly art design.

HariKari

Regarding the first contact with the Angara. I feel that it could've been handled a lot better by having Ryder ask questions such as "How is it that you speak my language?" and "You seem to know us?" during the walking section from the Tempest to Evra.

There's a lot of that in Andromeda. The little details. Just not up to mainline BioWare standards.

I still can't get over how little music there is. I think that has a lot to do with the atmosphere feeling off in this game.

I'd have to think about this, but gameplay it's definitely better than 1. Story wise it's probably last for me so far, but with the characters, everyone's pretty cool, vs the original trilogy's collection of awesome characters and totally shit characters

I thought you could have different weapon loadouts for different profiles. When I equipped a shotgun with my vanguard profile, when I switched back to Adept I still had the shotgun and not my pistol. Am I missing something?

hydruxo

There's a lot of that in Andromeda. The little details. Just not up to mainline BioWare standards.

I still can't get over how little music there is. I think that has a lot to do with the atmosphere feeling off in this game.

Completely agree. Music is so vital to the atmosphere in ME games and they just botched it badly with this game.

Van Bur3n

I swear, Allison may be the worst video game character I've ever witnessed. Constantly bitchy even after "proving" yourself, she is just weird as fuck with the strange dialogue that is written for her, her VO delivers said dialogue weirdly as well, and of course that STUPID face of hers as she looks at me with those dead eyes.

At least with characters like Udina they're fun to hate. This character though she is just a terrible character I'd rather not have in the game at all. Should have made that Russian guy in charge of outposts, he's pretty cool.

I thought you could have different weapon loadouts for different profiles. When I equipped a shotgun with my vanguard profile, when I switched back to Adept I still had the shotgun and not my pistol. Am I missing something?

Favourites save profile and skill loadout ONLY. Your gear is the same regardless of swaps. If you want an infiltrator sniping profile and a vanguard shotgun profile, you're gonna need to carry both guns.

hydruxo

I really enjoy having Drack & Jaal in my squad, they have some interesting banter with each other. Jaal said something about having a broken heart and then Drack said he understands, then Jaal asks him about it a little later. I thought it was kinda cool to hear two battle hardened soldiers talking about stuff like that.

TardisLover

Neo Member
I Must just say that I absolutely Love it,

Love exploring, Love the Graphics, Love the Humour,

34 hours in, Been on just 2 planets (I read everything and go the furthest corners of the map etc.) Should get at 100+ out of it.

Feels like Mass effect to me

I do not like the checkpoint system on the priority missions though

So for all of you who love it, you are not alone !

Just to check - does this sort of run like ass on pro or is it just me? Apologies if thrrr was a debate already - I try to avoid the thread so as not to spoil myself

Maledict

Just to check - does this sort of run like ass on pro or is it just me? Apologies if thrrr was a debate already - I try to avoid the thread so as not to spoil myself

Nope, it's completely buggered on the pro. Absolutely no reason for it to be, but something is wrong and you're looking at 20fps in a lot of places.

Favourites save profile and skill loadout ONLY. Your gear is the same regardless of swaps. If you want an infiltrator sniping profile and a vanguard shotgun profile, you're gonna need to carry both guns.

That makes sense. I just misinterpreted the combat video. It'd be too unbalanced to have that cool down bonus with profiles.

DeaDPo0L84

Hey guys, sorry for lateness, but here is my Vanguard Build that was requested a few times!

http://imgur.com/a/nadAC

LOT of images, wanted to detail everything, but here's the gist of it for those curious:

-Dran Shotgun
-HyperGuardian Chestplate
-N7 everything else
-Biotic Amp weapon

Your goal is to maximize shield gain, drain from enemies, and melee damage.

Hey there, I crafted the shotgun you mentioned cause I wanted to try something different. In videos before I crafted it looked like it shoots a somewhat long distance shot but mine just shoots a bigger short ranged one. Is there a mod or something to get it to behave the way it appears it should be?

CSJ

That makes sense. I just misinterpreted the combat video. It'd be too unbalanced to have that cool down bonus with profiles.

I hate that we can't store stuff, there was this whole idea of choice but you can respec and grind for points (sure I'll get there....eventually). So if I want to have a decent biotic/combat/tech build, I need 3 sets of armour.

Ugh! Oh and I can't believe they made installed augments STILL take up an inventory spot.

4 Weapons, 4 mods each + the Weapons themselves? 20 Slots taken.
As well as the Armor Slots for just one set.

:Z

nOoblet16

So finally finished this game 65 hour sin 85% completion. There are issues with the game on micro levels but as a whole...what a game !
I think Bioware did good washing their hands off previous trilogy and starting fresh, there's lore and mystery for further games while at the same time this game has a self contained story with a nice ending.

So, has anyone beat the campaign yet? How's the story compared to the other Mass Effects? If its more like 1/2 I'd enjoy it.

It's not like any of them. Infact ME1 and ME2 were so different from each other. This game lacks the sense of urgency found in any of those games but it also means you can do side stuff without it feeling disconnected. The "story" in Mass Effect games for me are not just the main missions but the important side missions as they flesh out the main story further and it's the same here. In order to get the full picture you need to do the doing Allies and Heleus side missions and also speak to your crew and other characters at frequent intervals. Not doing so will only tell you half the story and as such will affect your experience. Infact if you think abou tit Mass Effect 2 barely had a main story, it was literally recruit a squad, get an IFF and then go to Omega relay, the meat of the story came from side quests and loyalty missions which were all completely optional and yet affected your experience in the main story.

JarrodL

How is the backup life support consumable supposed to work? I don't see anything happen when I use it, my life support isn't replenished in the field.

Oh for fucks sake. Getting a repeatable ctd on the Contagion quest. Yes, bugs happen but there are so many it's not a good reflection on Bioware at all.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Havald sure is a good planet for gathering resources huh? I keep finding them everywhere lol. Exploration on this planet sure is worth it.

Van Bur3n

Havald sure is a good planet for gathering resources huh? I keep finding them everywhere lol. Exploration on this planet sure is worth it.

Is it better to go to Havald before Voeld if that's the case? I wouldn't mind stocking up on resources as early as possible, but I've been leaning toward going to Voeld first since the talk of this Kett conflict interests me more.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just left Eos, it seemed all the rest of the quests were checklist tier. Am I wrong? Fighting the Fiend at some outpost was good fun though.

nOoblet16

Is it better to go to Havald before Voeld if that's the case? I wouldn't mind stocking up on resources as early as possible, but I've been leaning toward going to Voeld first since the talk of this Kett conflict interests me more.

Voeld is longer and better than Havral so do the worse one first.

Yeah, don't do the Contagion quest on the Nexus as it's bugged and breaks the game. I get CtD's all the time whilst trying to get to the marker. It also means I can't get off the Nexus. Others have also mentioned this on the EA bug thread. I have to go back to an earlier save. Lost about 30 minutes I guess.

Ralemont

not me
Just left Eos, it seemed all the rest of the quests were checklist tier. Am I wrong? Fighting the Fiend at some outpost was good fun though.

Yeah first visit to Eos doesn't have much good side stuff. Veold does though.

If its a task its fairly safe to ignore as a minor quest with not much to it. Judt focus on quests in the Assignments tab.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Can't beat the kett base encounter because of this bullshit graphical issue.

gifi1ovm.gif

And at the very end of the lengthy wave based fight it just keeps crashing to desktop. I either have to turn around and not bother with the quest at all or keep gambling on it maybe working. I've tried it five times now to no luck.

Fuck this.

This is all probably my biggest disappointment with the game so far. This whole handling of the Angara people is a mess... they had such an opportunity to give such an intense unique mood, but you just land and they are like "Ello Govna! Wat can I do for yaaa?", I just talked to an Angara with a australlian accent. What a piss poor job they did with this... also this was their chance to go into the translation issues ect. I understand now wanting to get hung up with it in me1/2/3 but we are in a new galaxy now, it would be super interesting.

Even just a throwaway quest line that deals with it or some dialogue about how their translations are synced. Bahhhhh.

ironcreed

Banned

gifi1ovm.gif

And at the very end of the lengthy wave based fight it just keeps crashing to desktop. I either have to turn around and not bother with the quest at all or keep gambling on it maybe working. I've tried it five times now to no luck.

Fuck this.

Must be the Archon trying to thwart your efforts. But seriously, I would be irate.

I hope they patch the MP for parties soon. My wife and myself played 5 hours last night setting up custom games and one time 2 people joined and we got to extract every other match it was just the 2 of us. Grrrr

nOoblet16

gifi1ovm.gif

Fuck this.

I've not encountered many bugs but I did encounter one where I had to defend this point while enemies attacked and tried to disable the terminal I was defending. The first time I defended it until 10 seconds until someone disabled the terminal, so I restarted the encounter (didn't have to reload or anything), but this time onwards every enemy that came was invisible...lol I had to reload the save but I didn't lose anything as there was an autosave from right when the encounter started.

That's about the only bug I can say that I've came across which prevented me from doing anything, I've ran into 2-3 visual glitches where there'd be some banding and clipping near the corner of walls but those were easy to ignore.

nOoblet16

This is all probably my biggest disappointment with the game so far. This whole handling of the Angara people is a mess... they had such an opportunity to give such an intense unique mood, but you just land and they are like "Ello Govna! Wat can I do for yaaa?", I just talked to an Angara with a australlian accent. What a piss poor job they did with this... also this was their chance to go into the translation issues ect. I understand now wanting to get hung up with it in me1/2/3 but we are in a new galaxy now, it would be super interesting.

Even just a throwaway quest line that deals with it or some dialogue about how their translations are synced. Bahhhhh.

Again that wasn't the first time an Angaran was speaking to a human, they've been doing it for a year. The exiles have been living, trading and working with them since then, but they didn't have a diplomatic relationship nor did the Angarans trust the exiles. They didn't know there was a difference between the exiles and Initiative. They DID go into saying that the translators have not been working properly recently, which is why you hear snippets of alien dialogues or words during that point in the game.

Vengal

I think I broke Voeld, I was driving around at max speed in the nomad and crashed into a heater. NOMAD did crazy flips and went through the floor Abit. After that I spend the rest of the planet without the hazard meter. Clearing out the vault and kett without having to worry about hazards was easy.

Hey there, I crafted the shotgun you mentioned cause I wanted to try something different. In videos before I crafted it looked like it shoots a somewhat long distance shot but mine just shoots a bigger short ranged one. Is there a mod or something to get it to behave the way it appears it should be?

You're looking for the plasma tracking mod! Or something like that. It's under Kett tech.

It should fire projectiles like this, twitch video of me fighting an architect with my build [albeit lower level]:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/130325268

Top Bottom