• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebel Galaxy |OT| 2nd star to the right, straight on 'til morning.

Phionoxx

Any recommendations on soundtracks or other misc. music to use for custom soundtrack? Thanks to the poster that mentioned using the FTL soundtrack as that is a great fit.

megalowho

The arcadey ship combat, gameplay loop and overall space trucker vibe is right up my alley, will probably pick this up soon but curious how fleshed out the factions and characters you interact with are. We talking Mass Effect levels of lore and personality? Or it is pretty boilerplate fodder for trade and more ships to blow up?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Full disclaimer, I have yet to play this game.

Sometimes taking away the full 6 degrees makes it easier to focus on the game. For example, EVE online is just a submarine simulator, but it helps the player focus on the gameplay instead of navigation.

Not knocking space flight games at all, as the flying is the gameplay, but for an RPG, I imagine the 2D helps.

I haven't played EVE either so we can't really compare, but submarine simulator implies to me that there is some control over the z-axis. In Rebel Galaxy, you are stuck on a 2D plane. There is only left/right control and 4 speed settings. There's no verticality at all in travel or combat. It doesn't make for a bad game, it just makes for a game that feels nothing like flying through space and much more like controlling a boat. It's a more developed version of Assassin's Creed ship combat. Comparing it to Freelancer sets up an expectation that this game can't meet and I've seen that comparison a lot.

5taquitos

I haven't played EVE either so we can't really compare, but submarine simulator implies to me that there is some control over the z-axis. In Rebel Galaxy, you are stuck on a 2D plane. There is only left/right control and 4 speed settings. There's no verticality at all in travel or combat. It doesn't make for a bad game, it just makes for a game that feels nothing like flying through space and much more like controlling a boat. It's a more developed version of Assassin's Creed ship combat. Comparing it to Freelancer sets up an expectation that this game can't meet.

Absolutely right, I think we're agreeing :)

The EVE comparison was more based on the removal of a horizon than the z-axis. I totally get that, and also balked a bit at the Freelancer comparison, just based on the trailer.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Absolutely right, I think we're agreeing :)

The EVE comparison was more based on the removal of a horizon than the z-axis. I totally get that, and also balked a bit at the Freelancer comparison, just based on the trailer.

Yeah I just wanted to clarify because it isn't something I've really seen mentioned in the discussion about this game. When I see a space game I assume 3D movement is available at the very least. Even after half watching Giant Bomb's video of the game, it didn't even occur to me that you didn't have full movement until I tried to fly over a space iceberg 30 seconds after I started and slammed right into the middle and died because there's no flying over anything in Rebel Galaxy.

inky

Well, I was the first who brought up Freelancer but I was asking because I was expecting something different from the OP's title and the trailer gave me that impression. I would say from what I've seen -at least structurally- the comparison is still apt, albeit a more simplified version of that game.

Lack of an in game avatar is a minor difference that it could be ignored, but yes, combat mechanics are completely different, as this game is broadside naval-style combat (although I saw in a video there are also turrets that you can point and click with), and no Z axis movement for your ship. Combat and movement was a big part of Freelancer, so I can see how that could be deal breaker for some and needs to be pointed out, but I still can see a lot of Freelancer influences. As long as the differences are mentioned, I see no problem calling this game one in the spirit of Freelancer, with that caveat.

Vinny and Austin completely sold me on this game, it really is like Firefly the game. Man now to buy it on steam or wait for the ps4 release. Anyone play this on pc with controller yet? How are the controls?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's disappointing in a way and doesn't feel like a space flight game at all as a result, but it's still fun. It's just fun as a weird space skin over a naval game.

Well if you're on PC and want something similar but with full 3d movement, give Starpoint Gemini 2 a go.

Moff

Mouse+KB control is great. Better than gamepad imho :)

It was clearly designed to work with a controller, and it works very well. I haven't tried mouse + keyboard, but it seems like it would be far more difficult to wrangle.

what now!
this is really important for me, can someone please explain the gameplay?
so it's only on a 2d plane? you lock on, you don't actually aim yourself? how does it work?

also: are there actual missions and/or a main story. how is it? or is this mostly a game with it's own dynamics similar to lets's say a global strategy game like civilization that kinda tells it's own story.

Well if you're on PC and want something similar but with full 3d movement, give Starpoint Gemini 2 a go.

hmm, this looks nice.
is this the best space game out there at the moment? I am looking for something like starlancer/freelancer but maybe with some story as well.

I'm so tempted to put in my own soundtrack, and maybe it's the farmboy in me, but I'm still getting a fucking kick out of the guitar riffs in that game. They're sooooo good.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
what now!
this is really important for me, can someone please explain the gameplay?
so it's only on a 2d plane? you lock on, you don't actually aim yourself? how does it work?

also: are there actual missions and/or a main story. how is it? or is this mostly a game with it's own dynamics similar to lets's say a global strategy game like civilization that kinda tells it's own story.

If you played Assassin's Creed with the boats, it's like that but more spacey. You're traveling on a 2D plane but the enemies will dodge around above and below you. Your turrets have to aim vertically too but your broadsides just have to be pointed more or less at the enemy. Mostly you're keeping your ship oriented at your target and making sure no one side is taking too much shield or hull damage.

The missions so far (only about an hour played with a decent amount of side stuff) are pretty basic, go to this place and kill that guy or blow up that thing. You can also run into distress beacons along the way that will have small encounters you can take on or avoid. There's a story too with missions to point you along the way but it seems mostly like a setup for why you're doing your privateer thing. You can also buy goods at various stations (or find them from ships that happen to explode) and sell them at other locations for better prices. You know, space truckin.

bobeth

Anybody has downsampling working properly with FSAA off? The picture does not scale properly on my machine when it's not on..

trillbo

Oh man, that soundtrack.

Played around 2 hours last night and loved every minute. Feels great with a controller and the broadsides are so satisfying.

Also, I think I watched the title screen for around 30 minutes. Love how the UI fades away and lets you watch the rockin' battles.

Bombless

Joined the Merchants Guild, bought their saucer face ship. A bit slow and lumbering but has tons of cargo space and the turrets are well placed. Their top ship really looks like a space truck haha!

Part of me wants to cook up a great custom soundtrack but the other enjoys the guitar riffs way too fucking much to change it.

Beginner tip : get pulse cannon turrets asap.

Edit : to those concerned about kb/m, the game plays wonderfully with them.
Edit2 : The ship model name is Turath. Light hauler. I'm doing good with it but fighter swarms are a problem since you can't turn fast enough to cover a pierced flank. It's okay though, I just upgrade the turrets and they take them out even faster.

fI0QJF4.png

Danneee

When this was announced I hated the 2d plane movement but now when I think of it more like a loot game in space it sounds terrific!

MisterNoisy

Picked this up after watching the Giant Bomb quick look, and damn - this is the best $20 I've spent on gaming in a long time. Super easy to pick up and jump in and what a great combat loop, especially once you get a ship kitted out the way you want:

Saved up a bit, picked up the Icarus and kitted it out for 3-4K range fighting - its speed makes it easy to keep enemies at mid-range and just go to town:

LjdsErv.jpg

Bombless

Edit : ^^^ The Icarus is nice but I disliked the turrets placement. It's the main reason I switched to the Merchant Guild's Turath, better FoV for them. Technically the Scarab has the same issue but having 3 more turrets means I can get over that inconvenience ;) The tiny hold hurts too, some of the trading missions I did for tons of credits were over 10 units of cargo.

Sometime during my last sortie I ended up looting 4 weapons (probably in the large engagement involving a pirate captain). I didn't pay attention to what exactly it was but once I went back to the station...this was one of them.
8eCciQf.png

Holy shit. Selling the other 3 (scatter, shield missile, mines) put me over the cash limit for a Scarab.
8jyBHm5.png

The Viridian laser pretty much one-shots every low level pirate capital so far. It's insane lol. Just had to setup it's AI to shoot on caps only as it was pretty much wasted on fighters. The remaining 6 pulse turrets are enough for those haha.

Now to see what the hell my aunt is up to!

This is some of the best $20 I've spent. Game is absolutely fantastic.

I've actually found myself doing pretty well as a trader in the early game (first solar system). A lot of buying Tachyon Salt / Pure Water and occasionally Designer Clothes or Alien Artifacts when I can find them for really cheap and then selling them off to wherever I can find them being sold . Part of me wishes the UI / base mechanics for economy based things was a bit better though, it'd be nice to have a screen that looked at every known last price for a given product and deciding from that information where to attempt to head to sell the things. The map is ... functional but far from ideal in this department. On top of that I feel that there are just a lot of items in the game that really aren't worth buying at all. There's next to no reason to bother trying to buy up the meat or the soy when every individual item takes up the same amount of cargo space and the potential for profit off of the cheaper items just isn't worth the time to haul it.

Joining the Merchant's Guild was definitely a good idea though, they tend to have more base stock than other stations on top of a higher chance of said stock being sold on the cheap. Hard to say how viable trading is gonna be beyond the first solar system though, already I'm finding the higher tier missions in the first solar system to be competing with what I make from a lot of trade runs.

Anyone tried mining?

Joined the Merchants Guild, bought their saucer face ship. A bit slow and lumbering but has tons of cargo space and the turrets are well placed. Their top ship really looks like a space truck haha!

Beginner tip : get pulse cannon turrets asap.

I dunno, I've been using a light frigate with MK2 shields / deflectors / whatever the best plating you can buy is in the first solar system along with Tachyon broadsides on a light Frigate and have been shredding what I've come across. I'd honestly say one of the best early items you can get is a Mining Laser which is insanely good at softening up that shield layer so that your scatter turrets and broadsides can go to town on a dude. The fact that they auto-track and can effectively hit above and below you makes them extremely effective against the smaller fighters as well. It helps that the ship itself is fast as hell too.

Bombless

I was also going to ask the mining question. And yes, definitely insane value for the price, just like Torchlight. These guys get it.

I'm not a fan of broadsides, getting so close makes you take a ton of damage. I prefer to get within the 3sm range and let my turrets do all the work, using broadsides on whatever manages to get closer. Especially now with the Viridian laser monted on, broadsides are pretty much useless to me.

MisterNoisy

I was also going to ask the mining question. And yes, definitely insane value for the price, just like Torchlight. These guys get it.

I'm not a fan of broadsides, getting so close makes you take a ton of damage. I prefer to get within the 3sm range and let my turrets do all the work, using broadsides on whatever manages to get closer. Especially now with the Viridian laser monted on, broadsides are pretty much useless to me.

I need to score one of those lasers - that looks like just the ticket, heh. I still use the broadsides on my Icarus - I swapped to the 4K range ones early, though. Typically I use the ship's speed to keep the caps out of range while I sweep the fighters out of the sky and then unleash broadside volleys on the caps from behind them so they can't effectively return fire with their own broadside guns.

Tobor

This is like Black Flag but with spaceships?! SOLD!

I've been dying for a game like this. Will try it out with my Steam Controller tonight.

mujun

Any news on the console version?

They said about a week ago they were in pre cert.

I hope it comes out next month.

Shahadan

SO....why has the Icarus disappeared from the list at the shipyard? I wanted it and when I can afford it I can't find it anywhere. I think I have been on all planets (at least I think because the map is fucking useless)

MisterNoisy

SO....why has the Icarus disappeared from the list at the shipyard? I wanted it and when I can afford it I can't find it anywhere. I think I have been on all planets (at least I think because the map is fucking useless)

Ship inventory seems.to change at times and is different from station to station. I had to fly around a while to find one, too.

Xater

Any news on the console version?

They said about a week ago they were in pre cert.

I hope it comes out next month.

It's actually in cert from of the tweets I saw a couple of days ago. They want to release it ASAP. I think cert can be 4-8 weeks if I am not mistaken. A November release seems possible.

Phionoxx

Ship inventory is dependent on the type of economy (or government, one of the two) each station has which you can view from the right part of the screen when hovering on the station icon within the map. IE. if the economy / government is militaristic, it will skew to having more combat based ships.

MisterNoisy

Played a bit during lunch. Ran into a pirate fleet with 4 or 5 corvette/frigate class ships, a shitload of fighters/bombers/gunships and a huge 'Command Ship' while doing a routine delivery run. They didn't have a chance - I was actually surprised at how easy the whole fleet was to take down.

Sadly, they didn't drop any loot aside from a crate of meat.

Bombless

Holy shit. Left the first system and found Cruiser and Dreadnaught class ships. They are so beautiful, I WANT THEM ALL.

Digby

Neo Member
So I'm stuck. Right after i jumped to the next system.

All the missions are labeled VERY HARD, I get killed instantly by larger ships. All my gear is MK2. Even if i go back to the original system i started at its the same story.

I dont know what happened but the developers fucked up. This shouldn't happen. If i have to trade or mine to continue the game - fuck it im done.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Gotta agree, this is the best $20 bucks I've spent on a game in a long time! Just finished up a mission destroying some undesirable loot crates for Orzz. Hired a mercenary to help me fend off pirates and upgraded my armor and turrets. Very easy to get into, plays great with a controller, graphics are ace and the soundtrack is bad ass. 4/5 for sure. :)

Navid

Been playing this a bit on PC, enjoying what I've played so far, it looks and feels great and having it play on a flat plane rather than a 3 dimensional space means it's very quick and easy to pick up and get to grips with.

My only issue is with the game so far is the economy balancing and the trading part of the game... considering how small your ship hold is I would have expected resources to trade for more than the tiny amount of credits they currently are worth. Feels like ship/weapon upgrade progression currently is a bit behind the curve when compared to the progression of story missions, which means I have to grind in order to afford what I need to make me suitable for missions in order to carry on.

Hopefully they balance that stuff so that missions pay a bit more and you actually have a reason to pick up cargo from defeated enemies/and perform asteroid mining and go back and sell it.

MihowZa

Banned
Bought last night, going to start playing it after I watch Crimson Peak tonight. The guy talking about permadeath scared the crap outta me! Glad it's not true.

Tobor

I'm on the first mission and I'm stuck. I've gone to pick up the whiskey and there's nothing at the mission pony and nothing to progress the mission.

What do I do?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm on the first mission and I'm stuck. I've gone to pick up the whiskey and there's nothing at the mission pony and nothing to progress the mission.

What do I do?

There should be a friendly ship somewhere in the area, not necessarily on the mission point though. Send out a ping (press Y then choose it on the wheel if you're using a controller, not sure about keyboard controls) and see if you can find any blue targets nearby.

Tobor

There should be a friendly ship somewhere in the area, not necessarily on the mission point though. Send out a ping (press Y then choose it on the wheel if you're using a controller, not sure about keyboard controls) and see if you can find any blue targets nearby.

Got it. Thanks!

Bombless

Hacked one of the Message Relays and got the entire pricelist for the goods in the system. I'm not a trader but that's pretty nifty. So far all I had found from those hacks were mineral locations (with usually some juicy pirates around).

Conezays

This game wasn't on my radar at all, but picked it up and am loving it so far. A cheaply-priced, well done space game with little to no issues so far at launch (that I've seen); hard to beat that.

Top Bottom